• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I like the low key shade here implying Corrin and Byleth would never be able to make it without cross promotion
IMO, It's more that by the time a new Smash game would come out, Corrin's and Byleth's games respectively would be old news by that point. They'd have new games that would replace them and have the characters from those games make it in instead, as Sakurai and Nintendo tend to take the Pokemon approach and focus only on the latest game for potential fighters.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't know if I see Persona 5 going to anything that isn't a Sony platform or Steam since it seems like Sony gets rights to mainline Persona games (I think?) and the only reason we saw P4G on Steam was because I believe Sony has opened up a bit more about allowing their stuff on Steam.

I could be wrong or off base about this stuff though.

D

Deleted member

Time flies so fast. The presentation is almost here!

As :ultike: would say, "Prepare yourself!".

I.D.

Smash Lord
By this being their only chance to join the battle, I don't mean that Corrin and Byleth could never join without cross promotion. These were instead Corrin and Byleth's only chances to get into Smash because of Fire Emblem's revolving cast. Just like with Pokemon, who's relevant enough to be considered a main player in Fire Emblem is constantly changing as new characters get introduced and replace old ones. It would be tough to justify including a Fates character for Smash in 2018 and it'll likely be difficult justifying a Three House character for Smash in 2022.
You know, they could have simply saved them for Smash Ultimate and Fighters Pass 2 respectively if that were the case, it's not like their games would banish from planet Earth "CORRIN AND BYLETH HAVE TO JOIN NOW OR THEY'LL BE LOST TO THE AETHER FOREVER" lmao.

This argument that "Nintendo didn't want to strictly promote 3 houses, they just wanted a character from a very recently released game that they own for some unspecified reason" as if there were a significant difference between the two is some top tier mental gymnastics.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Just thought it was funny nobody else seemed to remember that when people were talking about the term shull pick
As opposed to the term "Shulk Pick" when Sakurai's really feeling it. :4pacman:

Do you think Persona 5 for the Switch could happen in this presentation?
Probably not. The main Persona series have been PlayStation / Steam exclusive (see the edit), and P5 was featured in the PS5 trailer as one of the PS4 games that would get an upscaled treatment - implying that that's ATLUS' main focus at the moment.

Edit: Aaand I had forgotten about P4 Golden's Steam port initially. Thank you, UserGoozer, for the reminder.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
IMO, It's more that by the time a new Smash game would come out, Corrin's and Byleth's games respectively would be old news by that point. They'd have new games that would replace them and have the characters from those games make it in instead, as Sakurai and Nintendo tend to take the Pokemon approach and focus only on the latest game for potential fighters.
It's worse when Pokemon does it. At least FE has the excuse of being a niche series where less "relevant" (meaning Smash fans' definition, AKA recent) fan favorites might not scratch one million fans. Meanwhile Pokemon definitely doesn't need to rely on uncanny humanoid rabbits to sell millions.

D

Deleted member

Heard some rumors that a Mass Effect Trilogy bundle is coming and it'll be coming to PS4 and Switch as well. We may see an announcement for that in this Partners Direct.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's worse when Pokemon does it. At least FE has the excuse of being a niche series where less "relevant" (meaning Smash fans' definition, AKA recent) fan favorites might not scratch one million fans. Meanwhile Pokemon definitely doesn't need to rely on uncanny humanoid rabbits to sell millions.
In all fairness, those guaranteed sales are probably why a Pokémon would be picked.

i still can't believe that they let the dev team pick a character for smash 4's dlc and they picked corrin
Did they pick Corrin? I remember Sakurai saying something about being told to get someone (or Corrin themself) from Fire Emblem: Fates, and Sakurai being like "how make sword interesting?".

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Moving on to Corrin, Sakurai mentions that since they’ve been making DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they’ve been thinking about adding a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release. The game of choice here falls to Fire Emblem Fates, which came out in Japan back in June and will be heading west in February. Sakurai writes that he himself thought they were adding too many characters from Fire Emblem, but after speaking with the development staff, he was assured that Corrin would make for an interesting fighter.
do you think the name "elma" was mentioned even once during these conversations? boggles the mind.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
persona 4 golden on switch would be, well, golden.

Ive basically moved on from wanting P5
And now, prepare yourself for...

The Persona collection! It stars Persona 3, Persona 4: Golden, and Persona 5: The Royal.

What's that? What about Revelations: Persona & Persona 2: Innocent Sin? They don't exist silly!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I'm going to lose it if Klonoa appears in this Partner Direct or at TGS, he really doesn't have a shot in Smash unless his series rises from the dead after 10+ years (people are going to mention banjo but they're a special case)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
do you think the name "elma" was mentioned even once during these conversations? boggles the mind.
Oh wow. They really did just "I love this game"'d a character into Smash.

Well, at least they learned not to impulse add characters. At least let the idea ruminate a bit.

To end this Fire Emblem argument, the presentation is soon!

Are all of you optimistic???
No!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Five minutes to go. Those expecting such, prepare yourselves for disappointment as we still don't get any Smash news y'all!

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
To end this Fire Emblem argument, the presentation is soon!

Are all of you optimistic???
I'm just taking a wait and see approach here. I didn't end up caring much for the previous 2 partner showcases, and I never got into Monster Hunter.

But this direct does seem to be getting treated a bit more specially by Nintendo (probably mostly just for MH but who knows), and even if there's a bunch of smaller games beside MH, I'm not against smaller games at all and one or some of them could maybe appeal to me.

So yeah. We'll see.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Five minutes to go. Those expecting such, prepare yourselves for disappointment as we still don't get any Smash news y'all!
I'm just prepared for disappointment regardless of the lack of Smash news.

Prove me wrong, Nintendo. Prove to me (and everyone else) that these presentations are worthy of the Direct name.

D

Deleted member

A bummer I slept through the PS5 presentation, that was a nice presentation. I saw the games.

Hopefully this presentation is nice! :3

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As someone who didn't get the last batch of Smash 4 DLC, I will say that Corrin was a nice surprise when I played Ultimate. Removed from the controversy, they were quite fun to play as.

D

Deleted member

And "Rise" was correct.

Edit: Another MH. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
so this is why they wanted the investors to tune in - so they could see that they're about to make a lot of money.

wonder if literally anything else in the direct will be half as good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom