• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
I have to be honest, if I were Sakurai I don't think I could resist the urge to publicly bring up games with dubious characters just to get the fans in a tizzy about speculation.

Sakurai: I have to admit I've found myself surprisingly enjoying Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back

Fans: Oh no...
Sakurai's Famitsu Column, February 30th 2024:

"Why Bubsy 3D is actually not a bad game and more games should follow the criteria set by Dave's Gold X Award."

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This is a very strange game.
Tong Shau Ping truly was the ULTIMATE weapon all this time.

Can't wait to fight that horde battle for the "****ing Ugly Reds" Spirit.

Now let's hear the song without the compression and the loop :happysheep:
...Why would you want to do that, though? We all know this is what it truly should sound like. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I do wonder if he liked Fallout 76 though...

I actually think it's interesting what games he has talked about and what type of content they have in Smash. He talked about Undertale for example and Sans got a Mii costume (though that wasn't the only reason obviously)

The games currently that Sakurai has talked about that don't have content in Smash

Half-Life
Halo
Minecraft
Dark Souls
Nier Automata
Dangoropa
Atelier Ryza (don't know if he played it though)

There's probably more I'm missing
You're actually forgetting a pretty big one. A game he had ridiculously high praise for:

If Nintendo wasn't choosing the characters and it was entirely on Sakurai, I wouldn't be surprised if he picked a rep from this just to spread the word of it.
Does "Sakurai said he likes it" even count as an argument anymore knowing this?
Cause that's what Smash Bros. really needs: a game about Bruce Lee's relative killing communists, featuring "Tong Shau Ping" as a superweapon and a Game Over screen ripped straight from a mondo film. :4pacman:
Maybe you can try to do this with characters in-game? Select Terry or Min Min and beat Classic Mode. IDK.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I'm not that much of a Leninist, but I admire him a lot.

Okay, this is cursed.
People talk about Teddy Roosevelt being a badass for continuing a speech after being shot. Lenin held a speech KNOWING half of russia wanted him dead and STILL got shot and regretted nothing! :falconslurp:

What's your ideology if not Leninist? Im not really Ancomm, but any disagreement I would have with you would be in comrade-ery.

D

Deleted member

People talk about Teddy Roosevelt being a badass for continuing a speech after being shot. Lenin held a speech KNOWING half of russia wanted him dead and STILL got shot and regretted nothing! :falconslurp:

What's your ideology if not Leninist? Im not really Ancomm, but any disagreement I would have with you would be in comrade-ery.
I hate all American presidents. All of them are bad.

Also yes, Lenin amazes me. He must have been under severe stress when running the government. I recognize Lenin had flaws, and they must be criticized, but mistakes are bound to happen, especially in a new government.

I like Marxism-Leninism, left-communism, and anarchism. I know they contradict each other, but I just like learning about all of them.

Let's continue this to the DMs.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKX31

Smash Master
This is a very strange game.
Aaand that's one reason why it's considered kusoge - ****ty game (Le Monde wrote the second article, so link in French).

The story gets even stranger under the rampant racism and bad game design:

In January 2018, Yoshihisa "Kowloon" Kurosawa finally broke his silence on the development of the game to the South China Morning Post.[1] He stated that his goal was to make the worst game possible as a mockery to the game industry. Since Kurosawa did not have much programming skill, he had an Enix employee help him out, with the game being made in two days. He later asked a friend with basic knowledge of English to translate the story into this language, as well as an exchange student from Hong Kong to translate it into Chinese. Kurosawa took the music, an audio clip from "I Love Beijing Tiananmen", from a second-hand LaserDisc he got in Shanghai Street, and the main character sprite was taken from a movie poster of Wheels on Meals, a 1984 Hong Kong martial arts film.[1][5]
With the game completed, Kurosawa used a game backup device that could copy Super Famicom games onto floppy disks, which he found whilst wandering through the computer malls of Sham Shui Po. Due to game backup devices being considered illegal in Japan at the time, Kurosawa could only advertise his game through articles written under pseudonyms for underground gaming magazines. He set up a mail-order service to sell the game in floppy discs and cartridges, for ¥2,000 – ¥2,500 ($20–$25 in USD). It sold only 30 copies, despite him having printed several hundred copies of the insert, which he later threw away. He eventually forgot about the game, until he became aware that it was gaining some unwanted attention in the late 2000s. Eventually, his Facebook account was discovered and he began being bombarded with questions surrounding the game.[1]
In short, it was intentionally horrendous. However, Kurosawa does regret it now because it's gotten too much attention.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, maybe take the talk of ideologies rife with human rights violations to DMs. Thought people were just being ironic with the Lenninist stuff :/
I'm not a tankie, I am aware of the flaws, and they should be criticized.
Guys. Forget Captain Syrup, forget the WarioWare OCs, THIS should be the next Wario rep!

C'mon, Wario World doesn't have ANY content in the game!
I think I prefer Captain Syrup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Guys. Forget Captain Syrup, forget the WarioWare OCs, THIS should be the next Wario rep!

C'mon, Wario World doesn't have ANY content in the game!
Some of Wario's moves are inspired by Wario World, namely his Chomp (kind of) and his backthrow.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I'm not a tankie, I am aware of the flaws, and they should be criticized.
Fair enough. As someone that's lived under brutal regimes claiming to be communist and the amount of antisemitism I've faced from leftists, it still makes me exceedingly uncomfortable and I'd rather this discussion not take place at all in a thread I can escape from it.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Moving on, I want to propose a game. Suppose you got to pick the remaining 5 fighters, but here's the kicker: you need to choose a fighter from each of these series:
  • Super Mario (No Donkey Kong/Wario/Yoshi)
  • Fire Emblem
  • Pokémon (No Mystery Dungeon since that's its own thing)
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
So... who would you pick?
Mine are Gooigi, Seliph (or Arvis), Gengar, Eggplant Wizard, and... uh... shoot I don't know any Metroid characters because I don't play that. I guess Kraid?

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Fair enough. As someone that's lived under brutal regimes claiming to be communist and the amount of antisemitism I've faced from leftists, it still makes me exceedingly uncomfortable and I'd rather this discussion not take place at all in a thread I can escape from it.
I feel like theres a conversation worth having here but this thread isn't the best place obviously.

D

Deleted member

What nations?

Also I'm not just into Leninism. I like left communism and anarchism too.
I feel like theres a conversation worth having here but this thread isn't the best place obviously.
I agree, let's take it to Discord.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Moving on, I want to propose a game. Suppose you got to pick the remaining 5 fighters, but here's the kicker: you need to choose a fighter from each of these series:
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
Mine are Gooigi, Seliph (or Arvis), Gengar, Eggplant Wizard, and... uh... shoot I don't know any Metroid characters because I don't play that. I guess Kraid?
Abstaining but let me do one like that but with different franchises:

1. Xenoblade
2. Splatoon
3. F-Zero
4. Kirby
5. Let’s not make my bias so apparent and throw in a curveball... PIKMIN!

my picks:
1. Elma (doy)
2. Octoling (doy)
3. Black Shadow
4. Bandana Dee
5. ...I’m actually not very familiar with Pikmin, but I like Brittany, she’s adorable

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'm still bummed that Knuckles never got into Smash as a playable character. Of all the other possible Sonic reps out there, I feel he would have fit the Smash format the best. At very least, his playstyle would have been far less annoying and repetitive as Sonic's.

Knuckles is my favorite Sonic character. I would’ve loved to see him.
Listen to your heart and believe in amiibo theory

Believe it

I do wonder if he liked Fallout 76 though...

I actually think it's interesting what games he has talked about and what type of content they have in Smash. He talked about Undertale for example and Sans got a Mii costume (though that wasn't the only reason obviously)

The games currently that Sakurai has talked about that don't have content in Smash

Half-Life
Halo
Minecraft
Dark Souls
Nier Automata
Dangoropa
Atelier Ryza (don't know if he played it though)

There's probably more I'm missing
It’d be nice to see some sort of content from all of those series. Gabe Newell said he’d be cool with Valve characters in Smash. I think that might’ve been after FP2 was decided, but I could see some Mii costumes happening like with Ubisoft & Bethesda.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Guys you remember Wario Land? Incredible, incredible.
Pepperidge Farm remembers... but Nintendo sadly doesn't.

• Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
  • Geno or Waluigi (Super Mario RPG / Mario Tennis)
  • Lyn (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade)
  • Bea (Pokemon Sword and Shield)
  • Medusa (Kid Icarus)
  • Spire (Metroid Prime Hunters)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
GENO IS IN AS A PLAYABLE FIGHTER AND NOT A MII COSTUME OR AN ASSIST TROPHY.

That is all.
I feel like I'm hitting a hornet's nest, but would you mind elaborating on this? I've glimpsed at the Geno thread every now and then, and some of the posts you made there make me think you might have a bit of a bias. Keyword being MIGHT, I don't want to unintentionally associate you with some of the more... dedicated fans. Would you mind explaining your reasoning?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
Pauline
Tiki
Inteleon
Amazon Pandora or Viridi
MB or Metroid Prime

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
  • Shy Guy (debuted in SMB2’s JP version)
  • Aman
  • Scorbunny
  • Viridi
  • Sylux

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
  • Waluigi or Geno
  • Edelgard or Lyn
  • Eevee
  • Medusa
  • Mother Brain

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I feel like I'm hitting a hornet's nest, but would you mind elaborating on this? I've glimpsed at the Geno thread every now and then, and some of the posts you made there make me think you might have a bit of a bias. Keyword being MIGHT, I don't want to unintentionally associate you with some of the more... dedicated fans. Would you mind explaining your reasoning?
Im not going to open up this pandoras box here as it only leads to trouble. If you want, we can talk in the designated Geno thread.

Just like how Crash was CP6 and Dante was CP5

Hey, wait a minute?!
I simply said he was in. That is my position and you can disagree.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Im not going to open up this pandoras box here as it only leads to trouble. If you want, we can talk in the designated Geno thread.

I simply said he was in. That is my position and you can disagree.
You already did, by saying something is going happen without any proof in regards to a pretty divisive character on if he deserves to be in Smash over a bunch of other characters including other Mario characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom