• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Sometimes I hope Smash bites the bullet and non-gaming characters do become part of speculation. I just want an excuse to continue the Superman vs Goku debates but in Smash context lol
Honestly, I could see that happen if Smash ever becomes a live service game (which a lot of people would oppose due to the pitfalls of that method). It would also require someone who's less steadfast about the no 4th party rule than Sakurai I suppose.

Even when they do start to appear, I don't expect non-video game characters to become common if only because of inertia and legacy - Smash Bros. has defined itself as a Nintendo / video game crossover for 21+ years. And that's not going to break if a non-video game character becomes playable - demand for first and third party characters are still going to be there etc.

D

Deleted member

I remember when people who were hyped for Banjo in Smash were everywhere. Now that Banjo is Smash, there is no more of those fans, and it feels strange.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I remember when people who were hyped for Banjo in Smash were everywhere. Now that Banjo is Smash, there is no more of those fans, and it feels strange.
People are still excited about Banjo and Kazooie being in Smash; there just doesn't seem to be a need to talk about how great it is because they're already in the game. (though the Banjo social thread did celebrate that it had been one year since he was released recently)

D

Deleted member

Makes sense to me.

The true fans got what they wanted and are satisfied
Smash Speculation feels like an endless battle.

I know, but it just feels strange that they are gone, because they actually won. They don't need to speculate anymore, they did it. They were a large part of the community too. It is nice that the true fans are satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKX31

Smash Master
I'llmakeyoueatthosewords!
There's only one tru-

Sonic gets hit three times and collapses on the ground.

Most Banjo fans simply were overjoyed / content that the duo got in. Then again, there'd probably be more talk about the duo if they were as common in tournaments as say Joker. Right now they're just... there in the competitive scene if I may be blunt. Viable, but not considered amazing, and often overshadowed.
There was some buzz in the Smash subreddit (the primary competitive subforum) when Tweek got Top 6 with :ultbanjokazooie: together with his main :ultpokemontrainer: at a supermajor - and Tweek's considered a Top 5 player worldwide. He dropped the duo though (although he can play pretty much every character at a ridicolous level).

Edit: VOD of the Winners Semi set Tweek played vs. ESAM if anyone's interested:

There are some high level players still using the duo though, like Raito (Top 20, who uses them as a secondary - Duck Hunt's his main) and Trela.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I am not an expert witch, but wouldn't most Banjo fans be very satisfied with speculation right now?
If Banjo was their only wanted character, then yeah, probably. But I'd imagine most hardcore Smash fans have more than one character they want. Banjo fans probably moved on to other characters.

There really isn't any reason to continue labeling yourself as a "former Banjo supporter" when Banjo's in, so it's not like there's any way to tell either way. I'm just giving my own experience.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Most Banjo fans simply were overjoyed / content that the duo got in. Then again, there'd probably be more talk about the duo if they were as common in tournaments as say Joker. Right now they're just... there in the competitive scene if I may be blunt. Viable, but not considered amazing, and often overshadowed.
There was some buzz in the Smash subreddit (the primary competitive subforum) when Tweek got Top 6 with :ultbanjokazooie: together with his main :ultpokemontrainer: at a supermajor - and Tweek's considered a Top 5 player worldwide. He dropped the duo though (although he can play pretty much every character at a ridicolous level).
It probably doesn't help that people hate them in this context since they're a zoner.

Side Note: Banjo & Kazooie's playstyle is probably the weirdest when considering their character design. Like, the main part of the duo is a freaking bear, you'd think they'd be at least somewhat aggressive.

SKX31

Smash Master
It probably doesn't help that people hate them in this context since they're a zoner.

Side Note: Banjo & Kazooie's playstyle is probably the weirdest when considering their character design. Like, the main part of the duo is a freaking bear, you'd think they'd be at least somewhat aggressive.
Yeah, it's strange when a lot of B-K's moveset are up close. Grenades / Spring Pad are just too useful though (as the VOD shows) and the Eggs / Breegull Blaster can discombobulate opponents. Breegull Blaster in particular sends at a low enough trajectory for followups.

Then again, Grenades + Spring Pad also have this:

The problem with it is that that trick encourages timeouts a little too well. Wasn't the intent from Sakurai and the dev team - I get that - but it's still an issue. Buffing grenades' knockback could help solve it since then there's some more risk to using the trick.

Also:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'd understand most of these cuts, save for Ike. Path of Radiance and Ike himself are really popular in the fandom, or at least they were. Besides, it's nice to have his rough flailing compared to Marth's graceful fencing. There had better be a good replacement for him in that roster.
I've seen a poll measuring the popularity of Fire Emblem characters and Ike is the most popular FE character. It wasn't older than a few years old, if even that. So Ike should definitely stick around. I would keep :ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultbylethf:if I had to drastically cut the FE roster

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've seen a poll measuring the popularity of Fire Emblem characters and Ike is the most popular FE character. It wasn't older than a few years old, if even that. So Ike should definitely stick around. I would keep :ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultbylethf:if I had to drastically cut the FE roster
Agreed. Original Lord, most popular Lord, and the two Lords from the biggest surge of newcomers. Throw in Lyn for the first Lord to reach the West, and I think we're good. Maybe a sixth fighter if other series get enough newcomers as well.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm fairly indifferent to Fire Emblem but even I admit that Roy, Lucina and Chrom would probably be as far as I'd go with cuts. Everyone else feels too distinct to give up.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Agreed. Original Lord, most popular Lord, and the two Lords from the biggest surge of newcomers. Throw in Lyn for the first Lord to reach the West, and I think we're good. Maybe a sixth fighter if other series get enough newcomers as well.
It's kinda funny, so many people don't want another FE character, but everyone wants Lyn. I want her too, though. FE would be lacking on the feminine side without Lucina. Lyn would make up for that :)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's kinda funny, so many people don't want another FE character, but everyone wants Lyn. I want her too, though. FE would be lacking on the feminine side without Lucina. Lyn would make up for that :)
I mean, she is the first Lord in the West. Helps that she stands out from the current reps, moveset-wise and design-wise

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hot take: Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood should be added as Pokémon Trainer style characters. Lyn would be the rushdown, Hector would be the heavy, and Eliwood would be the...I dunno but I'll think of something. The difference between this trio and the Pokémon Trainer is that the three are more powerful individually than Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard, but when you lose a stock, you lose the character who got K.O.'ed (unless there aren't any left, then it resets).

Roy is actually the biggest hurdle to this design since both he and Eliwood wield the Sword of Seals, which would force Eliwood into a rushdown playstyle and cramp on Lyn's style if we were to be consistent.

Lucina and Chrom are very popular, and I can see them staying around as a result.
I don't think they'll keep Chrom if they cut Roy, but Lucina's almost certainly here forever; she's popular, a carbon copy of Marth, and Marth is the most important Fire Emblem character on the roster in regards to both the Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros. series.

I still think Lucina should have been Unique and Chrom should have been a clone of her
Yeah, that's the one thing that bugs me about the current designs of the Fire Emblem characters...well that and Corrin in general but eh.
EDIT: Actually, I just find Corrin to be lack luster, I suppose he doesn't actually bug me. Heh, it certainly doesn't bug me as much as Mega Man's Down Aerial.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Tbh, the whole KH thing gives me the same vibes of Atlus just not porting older Persona games - keeping P4G stuck in the Vita for almost a decade even though it would make way more money than it would take to port it.

Sometimes the teams just can't be bothered. "Technical difficulties" has pretty much lost its value for most games unless it's something really graphically impressive (I doubt KHIII specifically would run that well on the Switch).

The PR team/Executives: "Our game is way more than triple A."

The devs:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Who here has never gotten their most wanted added to Smash at all?
I’ll rank them by grade
S: Elma (still waiting), Neku (still waiting)
A: Mecha-Fiora (not counting on it), Octoling (still waiting), Shulk for 4 (got him), Snake returning (got him), Cloud (got him)
B: Min Min (got her), Isabelle for Ult (got her), Nakoruru (RIP)
C: Black Shadow (still waiting), KOS-MOS (still waiting), Yuri Kozukata (RIP)

Just one of my S-ranks getting in if anything, that’s all I ask

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Estelle is a more recent one but Tiki is still not playable not even mentioning Sakura and a few others

Some of my other most wanted are playable though (Lucina, Shulk, Isabelle, Inkling)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Inkling and Ridley were my most wanted, and they were the first two unique characters revealed in Ultimate. I also really wanted Spring Man, but I guess Min Min is close enough.

I can't complain at this point, but obviously I'm still rooting for a few more characters who I want.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, just for Ultimate in particular: For base game, my most wanted was initially Inkling. . . but they were confirmed along with the game's announcement, so I don't suppose they really count. As for my most wanted after that, I'm still waiting on Elma and Amaterasu.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Pac-Man was my most wanted in 4 - GET!

For Ultimate, my hands down most wanted has been a Rhythm Heaven rep, but we know that's not gonna happen. :drsad:

But hey, Byleth and Min Min were also high up too, so I'm already all set. The latter in particular gets me good due to being a bit of a pipedream of sorts for a while. Also may or may not have named my account after her and ran her support thread, but who cares about that? :yeahboi:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Estelle is a more recent one but Tiki is still not playable

Some of my other most wanted are playable though (Lucina, Shulk, Isabelle)
Seeing how beautiful the Fire Emblem: Awakening manakete design looks when it's not in a resolution that makes them look like kelp, I would love to play as Adult Tiki. Unfortunately they'd probably go with child Tiki, which isn't really my jam. She did grow on me, but she's still not what I'm looking for in a playable dragon (also her dragon form is incredibly generic looking).

I want some actually cool dragons man! Why they gotta all be lollies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom