• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Does this also include Smash fans Like Ed Boon?

I guess it depends on the person. I dunno how Ed feels about it, but I'd give him a free pass because it's not just something to use on internet forums; It's your very own creation duking it out with Mario, Link, Sonic, and Cloud. If it's your baby up there and not just some dude you like, you're allowed to feel validated.

But yeah, if you're just someone on the internet supporting someone you like, it's okay to celebrate when your most wanted gets in and be disappointed when they don't, but it's best to not get too invested.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The same applies to FE. What FE fan that might pick up Smash hasn't already? And what Smash fan that might pick up FE hasn't already? These picks promote nothing.
Well, Smash DID kinda get Fire Emblem noticed.
Hell, outside of Japan, Melee was the first time anyone had even heard of Fire Emblem.
But now I think everyone's got the message. Three Houses sold like hot cakes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly I think Smash fans just need to stop seeing Smash as a "seal of approval" or "sign of worth."

It'd make a lot of fans feel much better if they felt that way.
I personally see it as a celebration of gaming as a whole, and that the bigger this celebration gets, the more inclusive it should be. Imo, characters don't need to come from the best and biggest games in the series, they just need to bring some neat ideas. So if you could sell me on a fun mechanic for Bubsy or something, I'd be all for it.

I guess it depends on the person. I dunno how Ed feels about it, but I'd give him a free pass because it's not just something to use on internet forums; It's your very own creation duking it out with Mario, Link, Sonic, and Cloud. If it's your baby up there and not just some dude you like, you're allowed to feel validated.
I totally agree. If I were to get a character I made into Super Smash Bros., even as an Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, or heck, maybe even as a Spirit, I'd be over the moon.

I do think though, that the idea that every single character should be the industry's best and brightest is an incredibly limiting opinion. Like, if that were true, most of the characters we have now shouldn't be here, including fan favorites like Banjo & Kazooie and series mainstays like Fox.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Uh oh, guess what time it is?

Honestly, the one that kills this leak for me is the Xenoblade X port. Not only is there still that statement from Monolith Soft about porting it and the fact we just got XCDE, but this leak acts like it was already announced. If that were the case, someone (probably @Rie Sonomura, no offense) would be freaking out over it for the next several days. Plus the usual overreliance on piggybacking, of course.
XCX DE? This soon? Yeah, that's definitely a red flag.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
XCX DE? This soon? Yeah, that's definitely a red flag.
I kind of hope a Xenoblade Chronicles X: Definitive Edition wouldn't be for a year or 2 since 1, they can use this time to improve the game, and 2, while I'm sure Nintendo would probably like for the series to get bigger, vomiting games at people isn't really how you do that.

Now a Super Smash Bros. character, that would be a good way to push the series in the near future.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel like this person is an Elma supporter, because realistically, there's no way we'd get an enhanced version of X this soon. Excluding Xenoblade entirely would've made this leak more believable.

Also, the only genuinely new first-party game mentioned in this leak is Mario Sports Mix 2. Everything else is either a port or a remake.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is highly unlikely to be real. I don't think that we will get a XCX port this soon after XCDE.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We didn't even get a spirit for Tin Star, a Software Creations game that Nintendo actually owns.

Not throwing shade at Plok, mind you, and I'm all for talking about niche characters' moveset potential and so on. Still.
Of course. I thought being kind of facetious about his actual chances, didn't need more context because he's an obscure character.

I like to dap up any obscure weirdos I like cause it's fun to do sometimes rather than always getting heated with the usual suspects.

Honestly I think Smash fans just need to stop seeing Smash as a "seal of approval" or "sign of worth."

It'd make a lot of fans feel much better if they felt that way.
That's true. But it's easier said then done when you see how people perceive Smash reveals and the like. And how it's essentially viewed as the Hall of Fame for Video games. I think Waluigi is a good example of that. Some say he doesn't deserve to be in Smash because he's some spin-off weirdo. Yet on the other hand, outside of Smash, he's been a pretty popular character in Mario's larger case because he's more or less Italian **** Dastardly. And I don't even exactly want him in Smash myself. So even outside of Smash the character has worth.

Another big part of it, is just wanting to see your favorites beat the **** out of each other. That's the case for me most of the time.

And while I mostly shill Mega Man X(and you guys should too, he's sick and cool at the same time!), I'd also put Geo Stelar as the most underrated Mega Man character, since he's also great in his own right.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And while I mostly shill Mega Man X(and you guys should too, he's sick and cool at the same time!), I'd also put Geo Stelar as the most underrated Mega Man character, since he's also great in his own right.
Honestly, all the Mega Man heroes would be great in their own way.
As for Geo specifically? C'mon, his Mega Buster is a dragon head. How is that not cool?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

How everyone feels waiting on any legitimate information from Nintendo to be revealed. We're in a drought, folks
Pretty much sums up how lonely my Banjo-Kazooie DLC is at the moment as he's the only one I bought.

It looks like he can use some company.

Maybe a certain orange marsupial or green armored super soldier ? That would be most preferable.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That said, if there's one thing about Smash that I still like, it's seeing people get into new series they never played, at least to some extent. It's part of the reason I want characters like Jin Kazama in. I already like them a lot, and it'd be cool to see them fight other iconic characters, but getting other people into Tekken would also be pretty nice, all things considered.

It's cool to hear how people got into Mega Man, Street Fighter, MGS, Fatal Fury/KOF, Dragon Quest, ARMS, Castlevania or even Metroid and Star Fox because of Smash. And we all know Smash had played a part into getting Fire Emblem to be recognizable in the west too.

Though I doubt Smash did much for Mario and Pokemon in that way by comparison, lol.

As for Geo specifically? C'mon, his Mega Buster is a dragon head. How is that not cool?
You got that right! That's why encourage people to root for what they like in that thread I made, MMX? Dope! Zero? Not my favorite, but he's still cool! Protoman or Bass? Those dudes are sick too!

Of course, this doesn't just apply to Mega Man. Sonic, FF, KOF, SF and so on all have good characters. But I also understand some might prefer it if Dante or Phoenix or Jill were the next Capcom character too.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yet on the other hand, outside of Smash, he's been a pretty popular character in Mario's larger case because he's more or less Italian **** Dastardly.
I didn't know who you were talking about initially and inserted a stronger swear word. lol

Maybe a certain orange marsupial...
Are you talking about Conker? Squirrels are rodents, so I'm not 100% sure.

Ya know what the Mega Man series needs? A Dynasty Warriors spin-off with characters from every series. It'd be amazing to see interactions not just between the classic and X series characters, but the Battle Network, Zero, ZX, Legends, Battle Network, and Starforce as well. You wouldn't even have to worry about name confusion (except for maybe Zero and Bass, and even then that's only if you add the latter's Net Navi) since they all have nicknames or other characters to refer to; Mega Man (or just "Mega" as Roll and Auto seem to call him nowadays, although I kinda hate this nickname), X, Lan, Geo or Omega-Xis, and Volnutt.

EDIT: Also, if I had my way, I'd add some equivalent to Fire Emblem Warriors's Support Conversations. Something that allows the characters to talk to each other. It may not be a Mega Man thing, bu it would go a long way to showing people what the characters are all about.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I didn't know who you were talking about initially and inserted a stronger swear word. lol

Ya know what the Mega Man series needs? A Dynasty Warriors spin-off with characters from every series. It'd be amazing to see interactions not just between the classic and X series characters, but the Battle Network, Zero, ZX, Legends, Battle Network, and Starforce as well. You wouldn't even have to worry about name confusion (except for maybe Zero and Bass, and even then that's only if you add the latter's Net Navi) since they all have nicknames or other characters to refer to; Mega Man (or just "Mega" as Roll and Auto seem to call him nowadays, although I kinda hate this nickname), X, Lan, Geo or Omega-Xis, and Volnutt.

EDIT: Also, if I had my way, I'd add some equivalent to Fire Emblem Warriors's Support Conversations. Something that allows the characters to talk to each other. It may not be a Mega Man thing, bu it would go a long way to showing people what the characters are all about.
It was intended for Crash Bandicoot.

I would love Conker to join Smash, But unfortunately many Including myself just don't see it happening, Would absolutely love to be wrong about it though.

Squirrels are considered rodents where as Bandicoots despite their rodent-like appearance are marsupials.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The most unrealistic part of that post is that it says there'll be a partner showcase that'd actually be great
Yeah, the Partner Showcase was pretty clearly wish fulfilment. The first one was pretty much carried by SMT, especially the Western direct, which had the better games tucked behind the Japanese one. The second was more evenly distributed, but wasn't that big either. We'd probably get only two of the things listed if we're really lucky.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Is it bad I didn't pay a ton of attention to the partner showcases like that? Cause I would say the SMT stuff was the most interesting thing, despite not being a huge fan of that series. It was nice to see something for that franchise.

Yeah. That'd be neat. The closest we got is XDive. Which so far covers Classic, MMX and Zero, and is supposed to get a ZX character next. There's a weapon from Starforce as well. Still, Bass and Duo are missing, and I'd pop off if Geo and .EXE showed up.

But an actual console game would be nice. Hell I'll take another Mega Man Kart Racer if it pulls from the whole series, or Capcom Kart.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Is it bad I didn't pay a ton of attention to the partner showcases like that? Cause I would say the SMT stuff was the most interesting thing, despite not being a huge fan of that series. It was nice to see something for that franchise.
Imo the second one was better, it got more game variety instead of relying on one single game and every game on the second one are coming this year, while the first one focus more on games coming in 2021 for some reason.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not really. They're pretty short, so you can just look up whatever was showcased. Plus, the first time that happened the one game I was really looking forward to wasn't in the English direct. When I found that out I was miffed beyond belief.

Yeah. That'd be neat. The closest we got is XDive. Which so far covers Classic, MMX and Zero, and is supposed to get a ZX character next. There's a weapon from Starforce as well. Still, Bass and Duo are missing, and I'd pop off if Geo and .EXE showed up.

But an actual console game would be nice. Hell I'll take another Mega Man Kart Racer if it pulls from the whole series, or Capcom Kart.
I mostly know XDive as the game where X has a gun.
Imo the second one was better, it got more game variety instead of relying on one single game and every game on the second one are coming this year, while the first one focus more on games coming in 2021 for some reason.
Plus, it had a couple more games than the last one. The first felt like a desperate attempt at getting the marketing agreements out of the way, while the second feels like they're beginning to get comfortable with the new format.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I'd also suggest a Mega Man fighting game, but that would be a bit harder of a sell. I mean, Dragon Ball FighterZ was able to pull of the whole 5 Gokus thing but I don't think it'd work as well when that's your base roster.

Now, a Mega Man (classic) or Mega Man X fighting game would be amazing because then you'd be able to show off all of the cool Robot Masters or Mavericks.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Ok so here's an interesting idea, take your current backlog and put some protags from them in Smash when applicable. For me, that'd be Rayman, Kiryu, Miriam/Zangetsu, Deus Ex protag (I know nothing about this franchise lmao), Gordon Freeman, Lara Croft, Master Chief, Kain from Legacy of Kain, Adol Christin and Estelle Bright. Looking at my list, I'd say I'd be happy if a few of these got in
Going off of recently played games. Excluding obviously characters already in Smash such as Cloud, Shulk and Link.
Tifa, Squall, Zidane, Akira Howard, Geralt, The Knight (Hollow Knight), Ori

Tifa is of course a personal most wanted of mine, and since playing Astral Chain I've greatly warmed up to Akira Howard as a playable fighter. Squall and Zidane I'm indifferent tbh, although Squall's gunblade could make for some interesting timing based mechanics. Geralt I'm indifferent regardless of whether he counts as eligible, The Knight and Ori would be pretty neat in Smash.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That's fair. I'll try to look at it again and see if I change my mind on it.

I'd also suggest a Mega Man fighting game, but that would be a bit harder of a sell. I mean, Dragon Ball FighterZ was able to pull of the whole 5 Gokus thing but I don't think it'd work as well when that's your base roster.

Now, a Mega Man (classic) or Mega Man X fighting game would be amazing because then you'd be able to show off all of the cool Robot Masters or Mavericks.
It could work too. Though I think people would be fine with MMX, MM.EXE and OG Mega Man together at least. But since Capcom has so many fighting game series that need a comeback first, I'd rather they get the chance before a Mega Man fighting game. Like Darkstalkers or Rival Schools at the very least.

That said, Personally, I'd pop off at a Mega Man fighting game.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
we already had two showcases this month - an indies showcase and a partner direct

that probably means we're set until october for further reveals :mybodyisreggie:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Wait a minute, wouldn't that be September 11? We all know what that is...

The release of Super Mario Maker 1, of course. CP7 must be a character who got a costume in it.
Can't wait for us to get the Babymetal character!

Or would a Mahjong tile be more ideal?

And yes, those were actual costumes in Mario Maker.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So it's time for the age old question.

Will we get a direct or reveal this week?
I'm going with yes, this Thursday, because that's exactly one day before the gap between full directs becomes a year. It would just be hilarious that we were that close to waiting a full year for a general direct.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Wait a minute, wouldn't that be September 11? We all know what that is...

The release of Super Mario Maker 1, of course. CP7 must be a character who got a costume in it.
Can't wait for us to get the Babymetal character!

Or would a Mahjong tile be more ideal?

And yes, those were actual costumes in Mario Maker.
Shaun the Sheep or bust
We all thought Goku would be the first anime character in Smash, but alas, it was Chitoge Kirisaki.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Uh oh, guess what time it is?

Honestly, the one that kills this leak for me is the Xenoblade X port. Not only is there still that statement from Monolith Soft about porting it and the fact we just got XCDE, but this leak acts like it was already announced. If that were the case, someone (probably @Rie Sonomura, no offense) would be freaking out over it for the next several days. Plus the usual overreliance on piggybacking, of course.
Not the worst 4chan leak I have seen, I can see it being their 2021 development was what fell behind schedule and them deciding to push the 2020 games back while they just ride off the success of Animal Crossing. I can even see that meeting being about how covid impacted the company. But the partner showcase is kinda out there, I see one happening in September, but not all of those games especially Bayonetta 3 which is being published by Nintendo, so that would not be in the partner direct.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nah. The Showcase wasn't that long ago. Maybe October. And even that could be generous.
About that.

I have a working theory...

Partner Showcases are meant to be a monthly platform for third parties who may get overshadowed elsewhere. We had one in July, and we had one in August. That's not a pattern yet but... it's a potential pattern.

Furthermore, both of these showcases were at the end of the month. I suspect this will be the time where all showcases will be.

In short... We are getting a Partner Showcase every month near the end of the month and that if we were to get some other kind of direct, it would be at the beginning or middle of the month.

Thoughts?

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Its likely that Partners Showcase will continue for september and october, maybe also november.

if each partner showcase is ~10 minutes and they do 5 partner showcase, from july until november, that would be 50 minutes of third party announcements. E3 and september direct lasts around 40 minutes each, so the sum would be 80 minutes.

Now, add that 50 minutes of third party announcements nintendo first party stuff (and pokémon) that gets their own twitter videos. It can be near the same length we would get on a normal year

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
About that.

I have a working theory...

Partner Showcases are meant to be a monthly platform for third parties who may get overshadowed elsewhere. We had one in July, and we had one in August. That's not a pattern yet but... it's a potential pattern.

Furthermore, both of these showcases were at the end of the month. I suspect this will be the time where all showcases will be.

In short... We are getting a Partner Showcase every month near the end of the month and that if we were to get some other kind of direct, it would be at the beginning or middle of the month.

Thoughts?
There's potential in that. I certainly like the idea of a set update on "smaller" titles at the end of every month. But like you said, two instances doesn't immediately make a pattern. If we get one at the end of September, we can put a bit more stock into it.

Otherwise, I still think if a regular direct were to happen at all this year, it'd be in October or November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom