• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
In A Weird world of this would never happen but if it were too how would you react if we truly got Goku as the next fighter in smash
It’ll be the jump the Shark moment for the series. Smash should stay as a tribute to gaming.

Anime/manga, comics & cartoons all have their own crossovers. Let video games have Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Am I the only that thinks if Steve gets revealed as the character, Master Chief will be the new Chrom from Smash 4 or even the new Spring Man?
Only if the trailer features a Creeper exploding in his face right as Chief is about to snag the invitation.

And that's not a trailer that would go over smoothly, lol.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Only if the trailer features a Creeper exploding in his face right as Chief is about to snag the invitation.

And that's not a trailer that would go over smoothly, lol.
Steve would get so much undeserved hate if a trailer like that happened, lol.

My gut feeling as of right now is that we'll get one of the two in Ultimate, and whoever we don't get will arrive in Smash 6. But that's just how I feel, and isn't backed up by evidence outside of the obvious "Banjo opens the door for Microsoft" and "Microsoft's two most popular characters"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Steve would get so much undeserved hate if a trailer like that happened, lol.

My gut feeling as of right now is that we'll get one of the two in Ultimate, and whoever we don't get will arrive in Smash 6. But that's just how I feel, and isn't backed up by evidence outside of the obvious "Banjo opens the door for Microsoft" and "Microsoft's two most popular characters"
By Smash 6 who even knows what kind of relationship Nintendo and Microsoft will have.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It's better than the reruns about Pokemon or "games" thinly veiled as a way to post most wanted lists in a slightly different format. I'll take fake leaks any day if it brings something new to talk about.
I kinda have to agree on this.

Remember when Vergeben started making the rounds and everybody started talking about Simon Belmont for once? That was honestly interesing. and remember that people were heavily doubting Vergeben back then.

I mean what else is there to talk about? Nintendo isn't making any announcements anytime soon.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Very much the love child of Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls. Heavily inspired by the gameplay of both set in historical japan where you take on the role of William Adams.

Game is a blast and William is a REAL contender for a KT rep aside from Hayabusa.
So basically unlimited pain. Good to know.

On a more serious note, how would he play in Smash? Would he have any special gimmicks, or would he be more simple in nature?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Why does every Microsoft character get pitted against Minecraft and Steve?

I know they're both from the same company, but I feel like people are quietly trying to explain why one is more deserving than the other, even though both would be pretty significant additions.
Most people are expecting not more than one character by third party, so indirectly Steve is in competition against Chief. It's the same reason we always compare Dante to Wright.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok so here's an interesting idea, take your current backlog and put some protags from them in Smash when applicable. For me, that'd be Rayman, Kiryu, Miriam/Zangetsu, Deus Ex protag (I know nothing about this franchise lmao), Gordon Freeman, Lara Croft, Master Chief, Kain from Legacy of Kain, Adol Christin and Estelle Bright. Looking at my list, I'd say I'd be happy if a few of these got in

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Ok so here's an interesting idea, take your current backlog and put some protags from them in Smash when applicable. For me, that'd be Rayman, Kiryu, Miriam/Zangetsu, Deus Ex protag (I know nothing about this franchise lmao), Gordon Freeman, Lara Croft, Master Chief, Kain from Legacy of Kain, Adol Christin and Estelle Bright. Looking at my list, I'd say I'd be happy if a few of these got in
King boo (for Luigi's mansion 3), Akira Howard, Jak and Daxter and Nathan Drake. None of them have chance but it would actually be pretty hype imo (also we where this closed to get Sora because I just finised KH3 yesterday).

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I agree that it's a bit to early to tell. If I am to hazard a guess, I believe that we'll be getting a couple more first parties, with my money being on Isaac and Rex. I also believe that out of the third-parties we do get, only one will be unambiguously big-That is, an absolute legend like Sonic, Ryu, or Hero. Out of FP1, Joker was a recent success, Banjo was mainly concentrated in the Smash fanbase, and Terry is pretty niche outside of the FGC and the arcade fandoms, so they weren't on the same level as Hero.
Of course, everyone was passed over for one way of another except for Hero, who was only guessed correctly because of a leak. I think we'll only get one widely-speculated character, two if we're really lucky, like Crash or Lloyd. Even then, Lloyd doesn't seem to see as much attention nowadays, so he's kinda subjective depending on your criteria for widely-speculated.
I feel similarly. I don’t think it’s crazy to expect a “legend” in this Pass since that seems to be where Nintendo likes adding them. I bet Sonic would’ve been DLC if that was a thing on the Wii.

I think there’s a chance that we’ll get more than one widely speculated character though. Joker & Terry really opened up what we can see being possible. Maybe the Smash team initially considered say Dante or Crash as picks that would surprise everyone, but then after the craziness of FP1 the fans started seeing them as likely.

We prooobably won’t see the remaining characters be entirely something like Dante, Crash, Geno, DoomGuy & Rayman. But I imagine some of those characters (or their peers) could show up alongside the likes of Arle, Yuri & any characters we somehow haven’t speculated on yet.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
By Smash 6 who even knows what kind of relationship Nintendo and Microsoft will have.
Hence why I said "as of right now". I hope the relationship stays strong, but time will tell

Anyway, about the Jeuxvideo leak: I really hope it's fake, because that would mean my favorite characters get costume'd while we get characters I'm lukewarm on (well, I like Jibanyan, but Layton is also a Level-5 character). However, I feel like the odds of this actually happening are low. Something just feels off to me about huge characters like Sora and Dante getting costume'd while our playable fighters are from franchises that, while pretty big in their own right, are smaller by comparison. It would also mean we get two packs dedicated to DS-era characters no matter if the Level-5 character is Layton or Jibanyan, which seems like such odd timing now that the DS and 3DS have been outdated for some years. It makes me feel like FunkyConnard knew info on CP6, and then shot down the most popular characters in speculation because they like ones that are slightly less popular. And the fact that everything outside of the CP6 info is about characters that are popular in the speculation scene is fishy. I'll admit Geno returning as a costume is likely, though

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Why does every Microsoft character get pitted against Minecraft and Steve?

I know they're both from the same company, but I feel like people are quietly trying to explain why one is more deserving than the other, even though both would be pretty significant additions.
Probably because a character being playable in Smash is seen as zero-sum to begin with: Either the character is in or is not. And, some here do see AT status as a proverbial death sentence. Not to mention, third party characters come in one at a time, with a decent amount of time before said third party gets another character.

That said, Steve and Master Chief are 100 % iconic. And without any risk to diminish "iconic" either - both characters are emblematic of their respective genres and are heavily associated with certain areas of the video game industry. Chief is automatically associated with the Xbox not only due to the games themselves, but also since Halo 2 was a multiplayer staple of the original Xbox for the longest time. And thus he's heavily associated with that.

Minecraft - and Steve by proxy since Steve's abilities are designed around the Minecraft world - proved versatile enough (both in terms of how the game runs and how the game plays) to the point where it could be ported to everything. Including Raspberry Pis. And the game works very well as a singleplayer and multiplayer experience which helps it immensely too. It's also far from resource-intensive, letting it run on low-end computers and mobile phones. It's in other words accessible on almost anything.

Those two are the ones that first come to mind amongst many when discussing Microsoft, so I don't find it surprising.

Sidenote: CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash noted Minecraft's pretty big presence in China. Zhuge confirmed that Minecraft has 300 million registered accounts there (partly due to its F2P nature) and it likely makes up a large chunk of the 110 million active players globally each month. I've talked a lot about that country in particular since it's currently Nintendo's primary focus for expansion. To the point Nintendo execs have specifically answered questions about the official operations there. If a character pick is made with China in mind, LoL and Steve are the two frontrunners for that.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next Smash game will be called "Super Smash Bros. 7" (similarly to the pattern with the Mario Kart names)

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I get not wanting to pass fake leaks around as real, but to act like it shouldn't be talked about is silly. This forum typically focuses discussion on a certain subset of popular characters and it is difficult to find any engagement for discussion outside that sphere. Now, let me be clear that I entirely understand why popular characters would make for popular discussion. I just think it's nice when we can talk about something else for once, and fake leaks usually drum up the most discussion about a certain character.

Take the Atelier Ryza thing from a while back. We all knew it was fake but it allowed us to talk about a niche character that would never have gotten the time of day otherwise. I attempted to spark conversation about Drakengard the other day and I think 1 whole person was interested in responding to that. Which is fine, people have no obligation to entertain my whims by being interested in topics that they aren't actually interested in. But it would be cool to have a 4chan leak about Drakengard because maybe then it would cause a page or two of posts about the games and their protagonists.

So I suppose I'm not saying that leaks should be treated as plausible until proven otherwise. But I am saying that a leak can be fake and still worth talking about from a purely speculation viewpoint.

And if someone is actually doing investigative work to test a leak, I don't see any reason to, essentially, shame them for trying.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hence why I said "as of right now". I hope the relationship stays strong, but time will tell

Anyway, about the Jeuxvideo leak: I really hope it's fake, because that would mean my favorite characters get costume'd while we get characters I'm lukewarm on (well, I like Jibanyan, but Layton is also a Level-5 character). However, I feel like the odds of this actually happening are low. Something just feels off to me about huge characters like Sora and Dante getting costume'd while our playable fighters are from franchises that, while pretty big in their own right, are smaller by comparison. It would also mean we get two packs dedicated to DS-era characters no matter if the Level-5 character is Layton or Jibanyan, which seems like such odd timing now that the DS and 3DS have been outdated for some years. It makes me feel like FunkyConnard knew info on CP6, and then shot down the most popular characters in speculation because they like ones that are slightly less popular. And the fact that everything outside of the CP6 info is about characters that are popular in the speculation scene is fishy. I'll admit Geno returning as a costume is likely, though
And however, by most standards these characters could be compared with the FP1 third-parties, Hero excluded.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I get not wanting to pass fake leaks around as real, but to act like it shouldn't be talked about is silly. This forum typically focuses discussion on a certain subset of popular characters and it is difficult to find any engagement for discussion outside that sphere. Now, let me be clear that I entirely understand why popular characters would make for popular discussion. I just think it's nice when we can talk about something else for once, and fake leaks usually drum up the most discussion about a certain character.

Take the Atelier Ryza thing from a while back. We all knew it was fake but it allowed us to talk about a niche character that would never have gotten the time of day otherwise. I attempted to spark conversation about Drakengard the other day and I think 1 whole person was interested in responding to that. Which is fine, people have no obligation to entertain my whims by being interested in topics that they aren't actually interested in. But it would be cool to have a 4chan leak about Drakengard because maybe then it would cause a page or two of posts about the games and their protagonists.

So I suppose I'm not saying that leaks should be treated as plausible until proven otherwise. But I am saying that a leak can be fake and still worth talking about from a purely speculation viewpoint.

And if someone is actually doing investigative work to test a leak, I don't see any reason to, essentially, shame them for trying.
Yeah, in our current news drought, leaks are pretty much the only way to introduce new characters into the discussions. I brought up the Beheaded from Dead Cells a couple pages back on the basis of "He'd be cool, right?" while knowing that he's very unlikely. It got likes, but nobody has responded whatsoever.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, in our current news drought, leaks are pretty much the only way to introduce new characters into the discussions. I brought up the Beheaded from Dead Cells a couple pages back on the basis of "He'd be cool, right?" while knowing that he's very unlikely. It got likes, but nobody has responded whatsoever.
I also helped suggest a support thread for Mamoru Endou from Inazuma Eleven because of this new rumor. To date, I'm the only person to reply to the thread.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Protagonists from my backlog? Alright then, here we go!
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition-Riki
    • While he's not the second most story relevant character to Shulk (the next step down is spoilery and the one after that is Dunban), I do think it would make sense for them to want to go with a Nopon if they were to pick someone who isn't the main protagonist of a Xenoblade Chronicles game since they're kind of like mascots for the series. Side Note: I haven't met his children, but I think Riki's the best notable Nopon in the series so far. Tatsu is awful, and Torra is just ok.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2-Rex & Pyra/Mythra
    • 100% the pick they would go with if they were to add a character from this game.
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses-Um...Claude I guess
    • I picked the Golden Deer route so that's why Claude in particular. I don't really have an attachment to the three house leaders...not even Claude really.
  • Darksiders: Warmastered Edition-War
    • This gets all of my yes. This character is so cool and he's also the first non-goody two shoes protagonist that I actually like. Probably because when they don't have a protagonist like this they either make him a jerk or just have him steal stuff or do some other stupid thing. Speaking of...
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age-Vaan
    • I haven't gotten too far into this game, but I don't really like this character. The thief class could make him pretty interesting in Super Smash Bros. though.
  • Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch-Oliver
    • I played like, the first five minutes of this game. I don't even remember if Oliver himself fights. If he does he could be an interesting puppet fighter.
  • Battlechasers: Nightwar-Gully
    • From what I remember, the game doesn't have a main protagonist per-say, but I think she's the most prominent character aside from...I forgot what the sword guy's name was. Anywho, I'd be down with either her or the sword guy, though I'm not sure how well their game's mechanics will translate into Super Smash Bros.
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 (They're bundled together in my copy so they get one character)-Tidus
    • I know nothing about this character other than people hate him and he has the funniest responses to the tired "none can defeat me!" villain speech I have ever heard.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3-Gooigi
    • I mean...sure.
  • Astral Chain-Akiria Howard
    • An Astral Chain character would be super freaking cool.
EDIT: Honestly, I'd totally be down for this mix. It has some characters I love and some characters I'd get to be introduced to in exchange for Gooigi as a full character.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I agree that the leak is a bit fishy, but I don't think that having 2 characters from the DS era is that weird. Jibanyan was born on 3ds, but he still have Yokai watch 4 on Switch and the first game's remaster. While the 4rth game didn't sales as much as the others,I don't think the franchise is going to die soon. The same thing could be said about Wright, while he's arguably in a more rough spot than Yokai watch, Ace attorney is still pretty relevant having the trilogy last year and I'm pretty sure Capcom will do more with the franchises considering that it sold pretty well.

I agree that Layton's in a more rough spot, but I could see him being choose for how important the Layton games were for the DS. Still,I don't think that coming from the same generation of console is really a limitation. It feels like an arbitrary rule like the same people that said that "Layton can not get in if Wright is in because those games share similarities". As long as the moveset potential is different I don't think that Sakurai and Nintendo will see a problem.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next Smash game will be called "Super Smash Bros. 7" (similarly to the pattern with the Mario Kart names)
I would. Smash has never used numbered titles. Smash 4 was actually "Smash for Wii U/3DS". I say Smash 6 because I'm of the camp that lumps Wii U and 3DS together, and because it's the most sensible thing to use as a placeholder title. I think we'll get a worded title, we just have no idea what it'll be

The first three Ace Attorney games debuted in Japan on the GBA btw! And since then they have been relevant on all Nintendo handhelds (DS, 3DS and now the Switch) - a new Ace Attorney game seems very likely, maybe even next year.
Huh, didn't know AA started on the GBA. The DS was certainly when Phoenix Wright's popularity started to take off! I hope we get a new AA game for his fans, and he'd make a good addition to Smash regardless of my being neutral on him. I also don't think there's any rule that says we couldn't also get Layton/Jibanyan, I just think it's somewhat unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I didn't shame anybody. I said I respected the dedication and wished those doing the work well in their pursuit, but we had a leak that beat-for-beat used this structure and site. It took a banned user's deleted thread long after it had happened and turned it into a fake leak that the moderation had to clear. That's what's happening here, and if you want to dig further, go for it, but it's not going to end successfully. I've never stopped or mocked anyone for pursuing it, but I stand by what I said - you guys are being taken for a ride. This leak is as credible as any 4chan one, which we briefly discuss then let fall by the wayside, where 99% deserve to fall.

You yourself are using the Ryza leak from a while back to demonstrate about how it opened discussion up on Ryza. That's great. I encouraged that. A page ago I said let's talk about the characters instead of the claim. But barely anyone is talking about Phoenix or 2B or a Level-5 character right now, we're still fixated on the veracity of the source. EDIT: At least, they weren't when I started writing this post, lol. Glad more are now.

So if you want to talk about the characters, please, talk about the characters. If you want to talk about the leak itself, I mean, I can't stop anybody, but continuing to breath life into a leak that really isn't very credible just to avoid talking about other topics (including, seemingly, talking about the actual characters) is, in my opinion, counterproductive, given no one here needs to converse simply for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You can discuss the individual characters, and honestly you could talk about leaks rumors too. But I think as long as the leak isn’t taken as fact, that’s probably the best way to go about it.

I think certain leaks do provide a chance to talk about less talked about characters. You just don’t necessarily want a fake leak to make the rounds. Should be able to discuss one while acknowledging the other!

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
And I mean, I can't speak for the French speculation scene, but Phoenix Wright and 2B are already popular in the American speculation scene. Layton gets his fair share of mentions now and again. Jibanyan is the only one who doesn't get brought up much. If the leak's goal is to get people talking about characters they weren't before, it doesn't hit that goal for American speculators.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I am french and I say the french should not be trusted, ESPECIALLY those on that site x) (I know it 'cause I lurked there for a bit when I was younger, it can be quite the hell hole there)
As much as I would love to FINALLY see Level 5 representation in Smash (and Layton as a character of course) I still will remain pessimistic, after all I've already abandoned all hope for Layton to ever be in Smash at this point even with still 5 fighters coming :')

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
And I mean, I can't speak for the French speculation scene, but Phoenix Wright and 2B are already popular in the American speculation scene. Layton gets his fair share of mentions now and again. Jibanyan is the only one who doesn't get brought up much. If the leak's goal is to get people talking about characters they weren't before, it doesn't hit that goal for American speculators.
I used to be pretty active on that site. Layton is huge there, it's clear that the franchise is influenced by Europe so yeah he's a huge request. Jibanyan is fairly popular, but he's seen as less likely than Layton and Inazmua eleven rep. (that's because football is huge in France and there's a lot of Inazuma eleven fan in Europe, it's way more popular there than in America). Wright is alaso very popular, similarly to America.

Edit: forgot about 2B. She's getting mentionned sometimes, but most of the time she's seen as not likely because she's not on a Nintendo console and too sexy.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Edit: forgot about 2B. She's getting mentionned sometimes, but most of the time she's seen as not likely because she's not on a Nintendo console and too sexy.
2B was more discussed before, I believe, Yoko Taro said he had never spoken to Sakurai until late last year, which, timing-wise, wouldn't align very well to her having been negotiated for when FP2 was coming together.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That, and Sora and Geno are more popular so they're more likely, because we all know Joker was leagues more popular in the Smash fanbase than Arle.
2B was more discussed before, I believe, Yoko Taro said he had never spoken to Sakurai until late last year, which, timing-wise, wouldn't align very well to her having been negotiated for when FP2 was coming together.
Personally, I don't see why that would be an issue. Nintendo chooses the characters, not Sakurai, and Sakurai has stated that sometimes he meets with the developer, but most of the time Nintendo does the negotiations. Either way I don't think any of the negotiations would be made public anyways. Besides, the rights could've been negotiated by Nintendo rather than Sakurai, with Sakurai going to Yoko Taro later on for pointers for 2B's development.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I didn't shame anybody. I said I respected the dedication and wished those doing the work well in their pursuit, but we had a leak that beat-for-beat used this structure and site. It took a banned user's deleted thread long after it had happened and turned it into a fake leak that the moderation had to clear. That's what's happening here, and if you want to dig further, go for it, but it's not going to end successfully. I've never stopped or mocked anyone for pursuing it, but I stand by what I said - you guys are being taken for a ride. This leak is as credible as any 4chan one, which we briefly discuss then let fall by the wayside, where 99% deserve to fall.

You yourself are using the Ryza leak from a while back to demonstrate about how it opened discussion up on Ryza. That's great. I encouraged that. A page ago I said let's talk about the characters instead of the claim. But barely anyone is talking about Phoenix or 2B or a Level-5 character right now, we're still fixated on the veracity of the source. EDIT: At least, they weren't when I started writing this post, lol. Glad more are now.

So if you want to talk about the characters, please, talk about the characters. If you want to talk about the leak itself, I mean, I can't stop anybody, but continuing to breath life into a leak that really isn't very credible just to avoid talking about other topics (including, seemingly, talking about the actual characters) is, in my opinion, counterproductive, given no one here needs to converse simply for the sake of it.
So I actually looked into the other Leak I assume you were talking about (the one with Black Shadow, Isaac, and others)

So I think i forgot about was that When a User on Jeuxvideo gets banned, their posts/Topics also get canned, or I assume Modded. In that case, This does raise some suspicon

The 4chan guy that posted the OG Pic is I assume the same person that's browsing the page in the pic. in the 4chan post he also Posted the link, but it went to the modded page

So really what this amounts too is that either this guy manage to See the Page, Post the link, but shortly after posting the page got modded, or decided to wait all this time after seeing it and posted the link anyway, knowing it was already modded or this poster is actually FunkyConnard on another account and he edited a Picture of an old Smash topic he had and posted it with all the info. that or it's someone he could have conspiraced with to post it after he got banned

The problem is it seems actual modders or Admins haven't commented on it, since apparently the guy in the discord pic isn't actual mod. I messaged them on actual site but they didn't respond, and others messaged them too and no response. yes

I don't think it would be any old user that stumbled on that topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom