• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
On the topic of Nate...

I trust he hears about games and hears about presentations when they're imminent, but TBH I don't really put too much stock into his specifics on what Nintendo presentations actually are. He advertised August as being "busy", and, well, I wouldn't exactly say this month was bustling with Nintendo activity and announcements. Clearly he heard there was a presentation coming, and apparently there was inaccurate info mixed in, but the fact that his and Kelios' info has been spotty on specifics as of late is enough to give me pause on whatever he shares now. I don't think anyone but Nintendo themselves really has the full picture of what's going on at the moment.

Should Nate's claims be thrown out completely? Absolutely not, but his info is clearly getting false pieces mixed in right now and should be scrutinized and taken with a grain of salt when it comes down to specifics. That's just me, though.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I feel I should point out that Markomaro was actually right about another Partner Showcase. He said the General would be September 9-10, but that it would be focused on 2021 titles. Just wanted to point that out, for anybody desperate for a leaker to follow.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There's no way that a card company could suddenly decide to start experimenting with taxi services and love hotels - and then switch over to video games after that.

...Right?
You have it backwards, man. They were a video game company before these were even a thing, then started experimenting with taxis and hotels until eventually found their niche in Hanafuda.

We're all just waiting for the newest expansion for their latest deck right now. What's this "Smash Brothers" some people keep bringing up? This is CardBoards, right?

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I feel I should point out that Markomaro was actually right about another Partner Showcase. He said the General would be September 9-10, but that it would be focused on 2021 titles. Just wanted to point that out, for anybody desperate for a leaker to follow.
With Markomaro though it was completely reasonable to guess a partner direct in August was coming, Nintendo said there would be more throughout the year and the first one was called July edition. It doesn't take an insider to figure there was always a solid chance that one in August would happen.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In terms of Smash hype, on Nintendo’s side of things it hasn’t been managed well. Not to say I’m throwing shade- Nintendo has struggled all around with keeping things going, whether that’s by the pandemic itself, or mixed with their marketing mentality of not revealing things too early.

As much as I love speculating Smash and talking about it, discussing who’s next and what we think may or may not happen, things get dreadfully dull when there isn’t any information. Sure, I’ve gotten through a sizable chunk of backlog this year and I’ve kept myself distracted. However, in terms of Smash news there seems to be somewhat of a lull.

In my humble opinion, Capcom did an amazing job with the latest Street Fighter V News. They had a livestream event with two developers, and they revealed all but one of the upcoming fighters. In addition, they included a roadmap of when each character would release. This left fans with knowing who the character is, but with the knowledge of getting more information probably sooner to release.

With the way things currently stand, I would personally prefer they get it over with. I heavily, heavily doubt Nintendo will do such a thing, because it goes directly against their mentality of not announcing things too far in advance.

But with about 15 months left, and 5 characters to go, we’re probably looking at an average of a character every 3 months. I can’t really say I’d complain, just that the buildup for Volume 1 was waaaaaaay better than Volume 2 has been so far. I would like to think September will bring us another presentation, but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself either.

Keep the faith, I say.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So is there a Japanese version of the Partner showcase and what was exclusive for that one?

D

Deleted member

Insiders should just share information they get, connecting the dots and sharing conclusions is a good way to lose credibility if you are wrong. Like, I don't care either way, but it seems like an obvious way to watch their own backs instead of having to defend themselves after the fact.
To clarify for those who might misread that, you mean share amongst themselves, right?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To clarify for those who might misread that, you mean share amongst themselves, right?
No, I mean that if you know "X game from Nintendo should get news soon" and "there's some kind of presentation on date Y", disclose that, instead of reasoning "X game is from Nintendo, has to get news soon, probably will happen on date Y, and given precedence it should be on a general Direct" and only going public with "general Direct likely for date Y".

Basically, don't become the faulty link on your chain of information.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
In terms of Smash hype, on Nintendo’s side of things it hasn’t been managed well. Not to say I’m throwing shade- Nintendo has struggled all around with keeping things going, whether that’s by the pandemic itself, or mixed with their marketing mentality of not revealing things too early.

As much as I love speculating Smash and talking about it, discussing who’s next and what we think may or may not happen, things get dreadfully dull when there isn’t any information. Sure, I’ve gotten through a sizable chunk of backlog this year and I’ve kept myself distracted. However, in terms of Smash news there seems to be somewhat of a lull.

In my humble opinion, Capcom did an amazing job with the latest Street Fighter V News. They had a livestream event with two developers, and they revealed all but one of the upcoming fighters. In addition, they included a roadmap of when each character would release. This left fans with knowing who the character is, but with the knowledge of getting more information probably sooner to release.

With the way things currently stand, I would personally prefer they get it over with. I heavily, heavily doubt Nintendo will do such a thing, because it goes directly against their mentality of not announcing things too far in advance.

But with about 15 months left, and 5 characters to go, we’re probably looking at an average of a character every 3 months. I can’t really say I’d complain, just that the buildup for Volume 1 was waaaaaaay better than Volume 2 has been so far. I would like to think September will bring us another presentation, but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself either.

Keep the faith, I say.
I feel odds are pretty good for a September release for FP7 given the amiibo wave and general timing. Assuming Sakurai's words still hold true and Smash development is progressing smoothly, mid-to-late September seems like an ideal release time for Fighter #7. Heck, I could see an announcement next week even if things are going really well and it winds up a middle of the month release.

However, Sakurai's comments on development were recorded all the way back in...I wanna say April was when he said Min Min's showcase was filmed? The situation with the pandemic is fluid and a lot could have potentially changed. There's no way to know for certain how things could be going. Just gotta hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst should it come.

As for Nintendo's method of announcing things...Yeah, I ain't a fan, lol. I desperately wish that they were like literally any other company and just show roadmaps to things, and then maybe have a disclaimer saying "Hey, this could change, but here's what we're hoping for!" But that ain't how they do things, unfortunately. Their motto seems to be to only show when it's 100% certain it's gonna be ready, and while there are times where I really appreciate that when we live in a world of CGI trailers with no gameplay, there are times it can create these lulls where things are incredibly boring. It's a rather unfortunate double-edged sword Nintendo carries with its hype.

Regardless, I'll still be here, vibin' 'till the next batch of news comes. Back to the backlog of Sonic games, Paper Mario, and Destiny 2!

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
They got Moster farm 2,. It's a port of a Playstation game in the Monster rancher franchise (it's a Koie Tecmo franchise). They also have the announcement of a new Derby stallion game. It's a Japanese exclusive franchises of horse racing. It's a pretty big franchise there I think. They also have some indie games, but those are already available in the US and Europe (Takeshi and Hiroshi, A short hike and Spiritfarer).

Edit: I meant to quote Icedragonadam about his question for Japanese differences in the direct.

Last edited:

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
All in all, much better than the previous partner showcase. Puyo Tetris 2 and Taiko are nice to see. Was worried these would all be "shovelware propped up by 1 big game that they could have just shadowdropped to the same effect".
Pretty sure generals are kill for 2020. CP7 will prob be announced similar to how Byleth was.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So, to go back on the topic of speculation, I think these partner showcase show what partner are really important to Nintendo. The first partner showcase was mostly about Atlus. We already have Joker from in the first pass, maybe he was chosen to strengthen the relationship between Nintendo and Atlus. Considering this, the second showcase have a pretty big focus on Square games (Kingdom hearts, Final fantasy crystal chronicles and Collection of Saga). I know Square already have one character in the first pass, but maybe they would want another one to stregnthen that relation even more.

Another thing to note is how Namco is pushing more and more the Taiko franchise in the West, which isn't that surprising considering the success of Drum N fun, and Sega is pushing more and more Puyo puyo in the West too. I wouldn't be surprise if Arle or Donchan end up being a character.

Thoughts? Recently there's not a lot of things going on to speculate, but maybe these partner showcase is a good base.
Interesting you brought Don-Chan up. I don't personally trust it myself, since it got stuff wrong, But I actually had someone tell me some "Inside info". One of the things was that Lloyd was staying a mii costume, but we are getting a Namco character that has Arcade sounding music. Don-Chan seems like it would fit that role...

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Ok guys, I've been thinking that Nintendo's plans for announcements for the rest of 2020 are maybe just:

Nintendo Direct Minis - Partner Showcases (No General Directs but just dedicated to Third Party Games and No First Party Games at all)
Nintendo First Parties will all be shadowdropped for the rest of 2020 on Youtube, Twitter, etc (Ex. Paper Mario & Pikmin announcements with releases in 2 months time)
Smash Character DLC will for now on be shown off on Sakurai Presents ??? until things calm down (No Character trailers in directs)

This is pretty much how I feel is Nintendo's pattern right now and how in this August Partner Showcase they did say more Showcases are on the way.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well... there’s this I guess. Didn’t a bunch of Xenoblade Definitive Edition listings pop up before its official release date was announced?:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Keep the faith, I say.
You nailed it. It’s a really sad state of affairs. We’ve basically been running around in circles for a while now. This is made even worse by the fact that Nintendo’s damn near completely cracked down on Smash leaks. I know it spoils the surprise factor, but finding & discussing leaks was pretty fun.

At this point, I’m okay with waiting for new Switch game reveals. 2020 was obviously going to be a lite year for the Switch & that’s been made even worse by the pandemic. But Nintendo keeping Smash news so close to the chest is so confusing.

The hype train didn’t feel like it slowed down during the transition between base games & FP1. Honestly, the shocking inclusion of Joker arguably increased hype & speculation.

By this point last year, we were almost about to see the fourth character of FP1 revealed. With FP2 in the same time period, we’re begging to see the second character. With the December 2021 deadline we obviously weren’t going to get through everyone as quickly as FP1, but we absolutely should’ve seen the second character by now.

I definitely think it’s negatively effected most fans’ excitement levels. Outside of this board, I don’t see nearly as much Smash speculation discussion.

It’s just really confusing. Nintendo was bragging about FP1 sales last year, there’s no way FP2 is selling as well so you think they’d announce something to drive sales.

The only thing I can think of is that they swapped some characters around after the negative reaction to Byleth & passive reaction to Min-Min. Perhaps pushing the production of a character that would excite a larger audience ahead of whoever they had planned to be next.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I just woke up. I’m not planning on watching this Partner Presentation thing but should I? I have zero interest in it.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
What would your reaction be if Chun-Li ended up being the next DLC character?
I’m not exactly keen on getting another Street Fighter character before another Capcom franchise like Ace Attorney or Resident Evil, but Chun-Li is definitely pick number 1 if they do add more SF.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What would your reaction be if Chun-Li ended up being the next DLC character?
Hype.
I just woke up. I’m not planning on watching this Partner Presentation thing but should I? I have zero interest in it.
I thought it was neat. It's also mercifully short so I'd recommend at least giving it a watch if you have the time.

You'll probably get more out of it if you're a fan of one of two companies or if you're into a specific genre, won't say more than that as to avoid spoiling it.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well... there’s this I guess. Didn’t a bunch of Xenoblade Definitive Edition listings pop up before its official release date was announced?:
Yeah, but those happened about two months before we got the release date for XCDE. Like, I quite distinctly recall there being leaks of that May 29th date as far back as January.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
In regard to regular Nintendo Directs, I think they could have them if they really wanted to. My theory is that possibly one or two games that were in development were greatly effected by the pandemic. As a result Nintendo is not sure what could happen to ANY of their games. So they're waiting until the absolute last minute to announce any game just to be safe. But many of them are being developed on schedule. They're just choosing to be quiet incase anything happens.

The reason I think this is because Nintendo has made statements that they do have more games to show for 2020. So game development for the most part must be going decently well. They're just being cautious.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Last edited:

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
JeffGrubb made few things very clear:

1. He wasn't confident that this week will be a Direct, and emphasized that Friday is a very weird day to do so. He did still think something at least related will happen this week and he was right.
2. He's holding out on something happening by the middle of September.
3. He also notes the phrase "Direct equivalent".

So far, he's still on track. He's smart, he words everything very carefully.

I can wait 2-3 weeks tbh. And tomorrow maybe we'll get some cool stuff from other companies at Gamescom. But if we get nothing first party by that time, I'd actually be very concerned what's going on with Nintendo itself.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hype.

I thought it was neat. It's also mercifully short so I'd recommend at least giving it a watch if you have the time.

You'll probably get more out of it if you're a fan of one of two companies or if you're into a specific genre, won't say more than that as to avoid spoiling it.
Just skim it. You might find something interesting, you might not. Either way it took less than a minute.
I fast forwarded through most of it but still not interested save for the Crystal Chronicles Remastered.

1. He wasn't confident that this week will be a Direct, and emphasized that Friday is a very weird day to do so. He did still think something at least related will happen this week and he was right.

I can wait 2-3 weeks tbh. But if we get nothing first party by that time, I'd actually be very concerned what's going on with Nintendo itself.
So he’s basically Communtity’s Jeff Winger.
C6DB3332-EC4E-4842-9246-FE713A3748B3.gif

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

I can wait 2-3 weeks tbh. But if we get nothing first party by that time, I'd actually be very concerned what's going on with Nintendo itself.
Ah, yes, the perfect point in time for any noteworthy first-party announcements. Later.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Whatever you do, skip the Just Dance segment. Take my word for it.
Nah, I totally paid attention to that part. I felt for sure that that segment was possibly hinting at, subtly, of an upcoming Just Dance Rep. Just seems right. You know? The stars are aligning for it. Plus, I’m pretty sure I saw hints in the clouds that Just Dancer is coming to Smash as F7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom