• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Jokes on you, I can't be flattened as I'm already flat. What are you gonna do now? Grab the tectonic plate with Europe on it and treat it like the Monkey Ball maps to send me flying at terminal velocity?
Gwen, you're not a flat character. You have so much more personality than just yelling about Shanoa Castlevania. You also yell about Miriam Bloodstained.

Smash fans would probably react not great to it but I'd love a second Bayonetta fighter. Jeanne, Rodin or Balder would be aces.

Also, we need NiGHTS music in. I want the whole damn Christmas acapella theme in no matter how unfitting it is
I get that Bayonetta is a small series but it would be so cool to get Jeanne as she's originally a moveset clone like Ken.

Rodin, too, but he's at least a great AT, so I can't complain.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Shadow's interesting because he could easily be both an Echo or a unique fighter depending on how you look at it. In some games like SA2 and Forces, he's pretty much a Sonic carbon copy, but in other titles like '06 and Battle, he's very unique, only sharing a couple moves with Sonic, if any at all.
Most characters that can be an Echo Fighter could also be unique. Daisy, Dark Samus, Lucina, etc. Whether Shadow would be an echo or a unique fighter depends on priorities. I always felt like Shadow's best shot was as an echo, only because there's just so much to do with Ultimate. Unfortunately we didn't even get that!

ZelDan

Smash Master
Smash fans would probably react not great to it but I'd love a second Bayonetta fighter. Jeanne, Rodin or Balder would be aces.

Also, we need NiGHTS music in. I want the whole damn Christmas acapella theme in no matter how unfitting it is
I've always thought Jeanne would be a cool addition, and could have been a good echo character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This may just be me, but I can see Level-5 getting... something this DLC. I don't know exactly what (fighter, Spirits, etc.), but I'd honestly be more surprised if they got nothing out of this.
It is rather odd that we've gone over a year and 8 month's without seeing so much as a spirit event from them (inb4 they unironically get one this week.)

As someone said, Nintendo has always been very supportive with that company down to Reggie and Bill doing a Yo-Kai Watch commercial and Nintendo's Brownie Brown/1-Up Studio (Guys behind the likes of Mother 3 and Ring Fit Adventure) even developing a side game for them with Professor Layton's London Life. Level-5 even got two puzzle swap panels for Mii Plaza as every other third party (asides from Capcom) only got one.

Hopefully they will at least get something they own by the end of this game's life cycle...

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Supposedly, there's a Direct Friday.
My bet is on Geno.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Plus Yoko Taro demonstrated just today how easily he agrees to collaborations:

Ultimately it'd be up to Nintendo & Square, and Smash would be a much bigger commitment than a Fall Guys costume, but at least it's reassuring to know Yoko Taro isn't stingy with 2B lol
Holy heck, I've been playing a lot of Fall Guys. I'd love an Emil outfit. It would be perfection.

Can't Nintendo adopt this philosophy? I think franchises as Donkey Kong, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero and a couple others would be handled extremely well under hired fans, or indie studios.
cough cough Mother 4 cough cough

But yeah, so many Nintendo IPs could benefit from this. If you aren't gonna do anything with it, might as well let others try. Star Fox making an appearance in Starlink was pretty well received. And didn't Hideki Kamiya say he'd like to make a Murasame Castle game once?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Little late to the uniqueness discussion, but how was Lucina’s moveset in Codename STEAM?

RetroBro

Smash Ace
While hiring big fans of games is a pretty swell idea sometimes, there are definitely some fans that project their perspective and own spin on their games WAYYY too hard.

There are some fan made pokemon games that I just roll my eyes the entire play through. Such a skewed view of how pokemon should be played.

On the other hand, Sonic Mania is a great example of a perfect fan-made game. They really captured the spirit of the original 2d Sonic games.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I do have a feeling that the vast majority of FP2 characters are going to be characters that nobody really brings up at all, because that's what tends to happen. Just look at FP1, none of those characters were heavily talked about or super-popular in speculation with Banjo being the only exception.

While we're all predicting that someone like Master Chief, Crash, Geno, Waluigi, Dante, Shante, etc., will get in, Sakurai is definitely developing someone like Sakuna from Of Rice and Ruin.
I do suspect we'll at least get 1 or maybe 2 characters that's heavily talked or super-popular.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Little late to the uniqueness discussion, but how was Lucina’s moveset in Codename STEAM?
She had the jumping spin move that she and Chrom used in Awakening where it acted just like Lion's Lion Launcher. She also had Nidhogg, a bow from The Sacred Stones usually associated with Innes. Interestingly enough she was arguably the single best character in Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. besides maybe The Fox. Having a duplicate of Lion Launcher while also having a copy of Dorothy's special move where she charges forward destroying things in her way made her super good, and having a projectile that barely took any steam made her even better.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
While hiring big fans of games is a pretty swell idea sometimes, there are definitely some fans that project their perspective and own spin on their games WAYYY too hard.

There are some fan made pokemon games that I just roll my eyes the entire play through. Such a skewed view of how

On the other hand, Sonic Mania is a great example of a perfect fan-made game. They really captured the spirit of the original 2d Sonic games.
I suspect they aren't doing something they would do officially as they take the opportunity to use their creative freedom to develop something that wouldn't normally exist otherwise. Fan games aren't officially licensed and aren't limited to the rights holders restrictions of the IP.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Lucina's Nidhogg bow also had insane utility since it had 3 levels of arc so you could hit all kinds of things whether they be far away or behind something. No Overwatch (the ability to attack on enemy phase with left over steam) hurt her a bit though.

Robin was second best since he had two-ranged weapons - Bolganone, which was basically a rocket launcher and could Overwatch, and the Levin Sword which was a fixed range explosion (ie it was always a set distance away, in the direction he was facing) that could stun.

Ike was kinda bad with two melee weapons - Ragnell's sword beams could move things but it did small damage very quickly so it'd usually hit things once and never again. Urvan was a melee weapon which could break crates. Amusingly he had Shove as an ability like in PoR/RD, but here it's him kicking a teammate to move them.

Marth was the worst with two melee weapons, a rapier that attacked multiple times good for hitting weak points and the falchion which was a single swing. He had a heal as his special and couldn't be hurt by enemy overwatch at least.

By the way, you can probably get Codename STEAM for 5 bucks and it's really good and fun so buy the game and remember to post in the Henry Fleming for Smash thread please I want a sequel so bad

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lucina's Nidhogg bow also had insane utility since it had 3 levels of arc so you could hit all kinds of things whether they be far away or behind something. No Overwatch (the ability to attack on enemy phase with left over steam) hurt her a bit though.

Robin was second best since he had two-ranged weapons - Bolganone, which was basically a rocket launcher and could Overwatch, and the Levin Sword which was a fixed range explosion (ie it was always a set distance away, in the direction he was facing) that could stun.

Ike was kinda bad with two melee weapons - Ragnell's sword beams could move things but it did small damage very quickly so it'd usually hit things once and never again. Urvan was a melee weapon which could break crates. Amusingly he had Shove as an ability like in PoR/RD, but here it's him kicking a teammate to move them.

Marth was the worst with two melee weapons, a rapier that attacked multiple times good for hitting weak points and the falchion which was a single swing. He had a heal as his special and couldn't be hurt by enemy overwatch at least.

By the way, you can probably get Codename STEAM for 5 bucks and it's really good and fun so buy the game and remember to post in the Henry Fleming for Smash thread please I want a sequel so bad
Personally I'd argue Marth's Overwatch immunity and healing utility would put him above Ike at least, the former due to some annoying enemy placements, like the tiny flying sniper ones whose name escapes me in the Tom Sawyer chapter. Definitely not nearly as good as Robin and Lucina though.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I do suspect we'll at least get 1 or maybe 2 characters that's heavily talked or super-popular.
I do too. It doesn’t really make sense to completely avoid fan favorite picks unless they can’t get those characters for business reasons. We guessed Banjo right & I assume Hero was brought up a decent amount in Japan; though the community was probably split on which specific DQ hero which is why we’ve never saw them rank highly in polls.

I feel we’ll get some lesser talked about characters, but it won’t make up the entirety of the pass. People like to bring up Joker & how no one ever talked about him. That is correct but his inclusion blew up the speculation scene so that we now talk about so many characters who were previously seen as impossible like Dante or 2B.

At this point, they’d have to go really obscure to get a character that we haven’t talked about.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If this thing is appearing Friday, when are we expecting an announcement for it? Wednesday? Or just one day prior on Thursday?

There's no company insane enough to drop what's supposed to be a General Direct the day of so I think those are the only two possibilities left (or today in the next 45 minutes, but I doubt they'd do 3 days early).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If this thing is appearing Friday, when are we expecting an announcement for it? Wednesday? Or just one day prior on Thursday?

There's no company insane enough to drop what's supposed to be a General Direct the day of so I think those are the only two possibilities left (or today in the next 45 minutes, but I doubt they'd do 3 days early).
If its a general, two days before. If its a mini or partner showcase, one day before.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Thursday is as late as they can really go, but TBH I'm feeling like Wednesday is our day if this is real. I personally am gonna start feeling the odds of a General are super sketch if tomorrow comes by without anything. If Thursday doesn't have anything, then it's a Mini, Partner Showcase, or nothing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
new podcast from Nate the Hate, who has been known to have insider info:
confirms its a general, will have 1st and 3rd party games

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

In fact, here's a link to the Henry Fleming support thread, for anyone interested:

Seriously, though, please play Code Name: STEAM. It was SO underrated, and not enough people talk about it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In fairness, it's a little early to be saying that. It's only Tuesday.
Thing is most often than not when it comes to this insider leak info it tends to end up not being true. So I have a reason to have doubts of anything happening this week and we're probably waiting until sometime September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom