• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
While it is true that much of speculation does not bear fruit, it is incorrect to say that certain things have not been true. Precedent was still correct in that a first party in Volume 1 would be a marketing pick (which, post-Pokemon spirit event and a lack of 3H spirit event, pointed to Edelgard or Byleth), and the "mascot/protagonist first" is still accurate despite Min Min being the pick over Spring Man. Banjo also was absolutely seen as potentially more likely because of the relationship between Microsoft and Nintendo, anything else is revisionist.

I can't provide a rebuttal for Joker or Terry because it's true: they were often considered "never happening" for whatever reason. But they do contribute to further speculation. Based on their inclusion, it expanded what is considered "possible" and had allowed characters that weren't previously considered to have some time in the spotlight.

Granted, I don't think it's fair to say that, because people don't guess things correctly 100% of the time, that it's all a waste of time. That's silly. But I also think it's silly for people to come into a speculation thread and say, "Why bother speculating when you're just going to be wrong?". The fact that this is mentioned so often makes it seem as though the people suggesting this don't actually want to speculate or have an inherent fear of being wrong about fictional characters in a wacky wahoo fighting game.

But speculation isn't always about being right. It's also about having fun. Am I upset that I was wrong about thinking Spring Man was in before Min Min? No, because Min Min is fun and nobody actually cares about it. That's what speculation is about.
And to that end, people already discuss other popular characters and potential promotional picks as feasible, plausible candidates. That really is the brunt of discussion anyway. We already do use precedent as much as it can be used. And more than we should, in some cases. I mean, after four third-parties, most people had discounted the promotional first-party as an overly likely conclusion to the first pass because of the precedent at hand.

What additional pertinent information are we foregoing that otherwise could be an active part of the conversation? If anything, I think there are too many pieces that are erroneously given importance. I mean, how many ostensible "rules" to Smash have just completely collapsed over the years?

What we have now doesn't constitute a pattern, or an equation. It's just factors which could result in further inclusions that already make up the majority of the discourse anyway. That is, when it isn't dissecting some dubious claim. We are using what we know, we just don't know much.

It's not a waste of time to speculate if you're enjoying yourself, but what valid theorem could possibly be concocted that this obsessive fanbase has, to date, simply overlooked? It's not a matter of failing to put the puzzle pieces together correctly, it's that we only have enough pieces to do preliminary guesswork.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry, that's my fault. He recently commented on the Direct rumors, and I wanted to double check if he was credible or not.

Here it is, for anybody curious.

[twitter post]
I'm not going to think about this guy's credibility, but wouldn't it be something if NateDrake's make you cry post wasn't him baiting people but actually meant for a Switch port of Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The only characters I again expect are Crash (Legendary) and a Gen 8 Pokemon (Promotion) otherwise, the rest could be anyone else though I expect a Dark Horse/Who? character as well. Part of me is feeling 2B (Have a feeling she'll be the Joker of this Pass and expecting at least one more female rep) as well.

That said current predictions are.

77: 2B (The Outsider)
78: Crash Bandicoot (The Legend)
79: Geno (Fan Favorite)
80: Elma (Dark Horse)
81: Gen 8 Pokemon (Promotional Pick)

Also, rate this Pass.
2B is cool, Crash is awesome, Geno is meh, Elma is cool, and the Gen 8 Pokemon depends: If it's Cinderace or Dragapult? 10/10, hype addition. If it's Toxtricity? Eeeehhhhhh...nah, wouldn't be into it.

All in all, it'd be a 8/10 pass: Min Min, 2B, Crash, and (if it was Cinderace) a Gen 8 'Mon would be incredible additions.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I can honestly see Nintendo/Sakurai just keeping adding more smaller Japanese third parties or you know, Nintendo characters before they start adding big western characters.
I can see a western character, but in my mind that feels like it would be Crash. Maybe a Bethesda character or Rayman. Not including Microsoft here.

I don't know. Lara is an important character that's for sure but I'm not really feeling her. Specially with all the competition she has, and I have a hard time seeing Nintendo going for her. I honestly believe they would rather go for Geno, despite him being less known than Lara. This is just my perception tho.

As for major japanese franchises, I think you're half right there, because in most scenarios I still think Sakurai and Nintendo would go for a character with a mid tier profile, to put it in a way, before a popular western character.
That's just how I see it, I wouldn't have any problems with someone like Doomslayer, for example, but I could totally see Nintendo skipping him to pick names such as Kiryu, Arle or Neku, for example, which I guess could be considered from "mid tier franchises".

Yes, I know characters don't really compete with each other, specially if they're not from the same company, but I think what I'm trying to say with the example is clear.
I definitely think we’ll see one or two characters from a “mid tier” Japanese franchise like DMC, Tales or Puyo Puyo. As well as some more Nintendo love. But I don’t think that rules out a Western character.

We’ve been getting a steady stream of “mega” franchises being added to Smash. Series with a huge legacy, huge fanbases & huge sales numbers. :ultcloud::ultsonic::ulthero::ultsnake::ultryu::ultpacman: all fit this, not to mention Nintendo’s own “mega” franchises like:ultmario::ultpikachu::ultlink::ultdk::ultisabelle:

The “mega” franchises bring a lot of positive attention to Smash & the current Nintendo console. We’ve been getting them at a stable pace where they happen often enough but not to the point where they’ve been coming every other character since that would sort of ruin the magic of their debuts. Obviously it’s not guaranteed that we’ll get one in FP2. But with this being the final 5 characters for Ultimate & potentially the last newcomers for a loooong time, I think we’ll see one more.

Nintendo’s slowly made their way through all of the “mega” Japanese IPs. With the only notable exceptions being Resident Evil, Monster Hunter & Tekken who are all probably out of the running for now.

So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think they’ll finally dip their toes into the Western pool. I think the stigma Sakurai & the Smash team had of a language barrier for past games is pretty much dead now. Not only do we have a full fledged western third party on the roster but two western composers have made tracks for the game. Plus, all of the Western spirits & Mii costumes we’ve gotten in the past year point to an eager willingness to add non-Japanese content.

It definitely helped that Banjo was a former Nintendo character, but I think he was a bridge between the world of Japanese characters & Western characters. As opposed to an exception to a rule.

I’m not expecting the next 5 characters to be entirely composed of huge western characters like Master Chief, Crash, Lara Croft, Ezio & Steve. But I do think we’ll see another western character & there’s a good chance they’ll serve as the last “mega” character for Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
We ratin' Passes

-Min Min
-Crash
-Estelle
-Sakura (Amamiya and Shinguji as a Hero type deal)
-Saber
-Sora

Am I too hopeful? yes 100%

EDIT:

I have a more realistic pack here as well

-Crash
-Phoenix/Dante
-Sakura/Saber/Estelle
-Euden/Inteleon
-Ryza/Yuri Lowell

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
/10

Kinda falls off after Crash imo
I basically feel the same way, which is ironic because at least two of those characters below Crash would probably qualify for the "surprising" and "unexpected" characters people keep raving about.
Then again, I can only speak for myself since that pass would probably be a 11/10 for some people out there.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I definitely think we’ll see one or two characters from a “mid tier” Japanese franchise like DMC, Tales or Puyo Puyo. As well as some more Nintendo love. But I don’t think that rules out a Western character.

We’ve been getting a steady stream of “mega” franchises being added to Smash. Series with a huge legacy, huge fanbases & huge sales numbers. :ultcloud::ultsonic::ulthero::ultsnake::ultryu::ultpacman: all fit this, not to mention Nintendo’s own “mega” franchises like:ultmario::ultpikachu::ultlink::ultdk::ultisabelle:

The “mega” franchises bring a lot of positive attention to Smash & the current Nintendo console. We’ve been getting them at a stable pace where they happen often enough but not to the point where they’ve been coming every other character since that would sort of ruin the magic of their debuts. Obviously it’s not guaranteed that we’ll get one in FP2. But with this being the final 5 characters for Ultimate & potentially the last newcomers for a loooong time, I think we’ll see one more.

Nintendo’s slowly made their way through all of the “mega” Japanese IPs. With the only notable exceptions being Resident Evil, Monster Hunter & Tekken who are all probably out of the running for now.

So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think they’ll finally dip their toes into the Western pool. I think the stigma Sakurai & the Smash team had of a language barrier for past games is pretty much dead now. Not only do we have a full fledged western third party on the roster but two western composers have made tracks for the game. Plus, all of the Western spirits & Mii costumes we’ve gotten in the past year point to an eager willingness to add non-Japanese content.

It definitely helped that Banjo was a former Nintendo character, but I think he was a bridge between the world of Japanese characters & Western characters.

I’m not expecting the next 5 characters to be entirely composed of huge western characters like Master Chief, Crash, Lara Croft, Ezio & Steve. But I do think we’ll see another western character & there’s a good chance they’ll serve as the last “mega” character for Smash Ultimate.
Very Likely. there has been Western Content since Smash 4 with the Rayman Trophy. One could say that Banjo was a Sort of Test Run in actually Implementing a Western Owned Character into Smash.

I think I remember in the Same Interview where Sakurai discussed Castlevania (and how Alucard almost made it in) that they were running out of Japanesse franchises to put in, though don't quote me on that, I got to see the Article again. In any case though Banjo might be like Snake in terms of setting a Trend that might be set going not just in Ultimate, but Future Smash games

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That said current predictions are.

rate this Pass.
2B = Meh (0)
Crash Bandicoot = Great (2)
Geno = Great (2)
Elma = Meh (0)
Gen 8 (Cinderace) = Meh (0)

4/10 Pass

Rate my pass:

76. Min Min
77. Sora
78. Crash Bandicoot
79. Euden
80. Cinderace
81. Sakura Shinguji
Sora = Good (1)
Euden = Meh (0)
Cinderace = Meh (0)
Sakura Shinguji = Meh (0)

3/10 Pass

We ratin' Passes

-Min Min
-Crash
-Estelle
-Sakura
-Saber
-Sora

Estelle = Meh (0)
Sakura Shinguji? = Meh (0)
Saber = Meh (0)
Sora = Good (1)

3/10 Pass

76 Min Min (ARMS)
77 Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
78 Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)
79 Steve (Minecraft)
80 Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
81 Farmer (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons)

Aight, how are my tastes?
76 Min Min (ARMS)
77 Dante (Devil May Cry
78 Anges (Bravely Default)
79 Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
80 Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaideb)
81 Demi-Fiend (Shin Megamix Tensei)
Your dreams
Sora = Good (1)
Karate Joe = Meh (0)
Steve = Meh (0)
Elma = Meh (0)
Farmer = Meh (0)

1/10 Pass

Your predictions
Dante = Good (1)
Agnes = Meh (0)
Rex = Meh (0)
Ryu Hayabusa = Good (1)
Demi-Fiend = Meh (0)

2/10 Pass

I’ll do a “Dream Pass” & something a bit more realistic.

Dream Pass:
Master Chief
Jill Valentine
Dante
Crash
2B

A bit more realistic:
Dante
Yuri
Urbosa & the Champions
Master Chief
Rex & Pyra
Your dreams
Master Chief = Good (1)
Jill Valentine = Okayish (0.5)
Dante = Good (1)
2B = Meh (0)

4.5/10 Pass

Your predictions
Dante = Good (1)
Yuri Lowell? = Meh (0)
Urbosa + Champions = Meh (0)
Master Chief = Good (1)
Rex & Pyra

2/10 Pass

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
76 Min Min (ARMS)
77 Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
79 Steve (Minecraft)

As for my overall predictions:

76 Min Min (ARMS)
77 Dante (Devil May Cry
80 Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
81 Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei)

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
76 Min Min (ARMS)
77 Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
79 Steve (Minecraft)

Sora 10/10 Very yes
Karate Joe 6/10 I love Rhythm Heaven but Karate joe is in my opinion the most boring choice for a Rhythm Heaven rep
Steve 5/10 Minecraft is okay and some rep in smash would be great but the Idea of Steve being playable doesn't excite me
Elma 8/10 Yes
Farmer 7/10 This is a good choice even if personally I would prefer a Rune Factory or Atelier Rep but a Story Of Seasons rep would make me happy all the same

This pass would be a pretty good outcome IMO

2B 9/10 Nier is one of my favorite games
Crash 10/10 Very Yes
Geno 4/10 he makes sense he just sorta gives me the big snooze
Elma 8/10 yes
Gen 8 5-8/10 Depends on who the character is

This is another pass that I would be okay with

76. Min Min
77. Sora
78. Crash Bandicoot
79. Euden
80. Cinderace
81. Sakura Shinguji
Sora 10/10 Yes
Crash 10/10 Yes
Euden 8/10 I like Dragalia a lot
Cinderace 7/10 I prefer Inteleon but I do like Soccer Rabbit
Sakura 10/10 One of my most wanted

I also enjoy this pass

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Rate my pass:

76. Min Min
77. Sora
78. Crash Bandicoot
79. Euden
80. Cinderace
81. Sakura Shinguji
This would be a solid outcome. Crash & Sora are two of my most wanted characters. Cinderace & Sakura could be neat. Euden is bleh for me.

We ratin' Passes

-Min Min
-Crash
-Estelle
-Sakura (Amamiya and Shinguji as a Hero type deal)
-Saber
-Sora

EDIT:

I have a more realistic pack here as well

-Crash
-Phoenix
-Sakura/Saber/Estelle
-Euden
-Ryza
I like the first pass more. Saber would be really hype for my group of friends & I, we’re big Fate fans. I have no idea who Estelle is though.

76 Min Min (ARMS)
77 Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
79 Steve (Minecraft)

As for my overall predictions:

76 Min Min (ARMS)
77 Dante (Devil May Cry
80 Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
81 Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei)
I like your predictions more than your personal wish list tbh. Though, Steve would be really cool & Elma could be neat.

I’ll do a “Dream Pass” & something a bit more realistic.

Dream Pass:
Master Chief
Jill Valentine
Dante
Crash
2B

A bit more realistic:
Dante
Yuri
Urbosa & the Champions
Master Chief
Rex & Pyra

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Very Likely. there has been Western Content since Smash 4 with the Rayman Trophy. One could say that Banjo was a Sort of Test Run in actually Implementing a Western Owned Character into Smash.

I think I remember in the Same Interview where Sakurai discussed Castlevania (and how Alucard almost made it in) that they were running out of Japanesse franchises to put in, though don't quote me on that, I got to see the Article again. In any case though Banjo might be like Snake in terms of setting a Trend that might be set going not just in Ultimate, but Future Smash games
That was about Cloud, he said that there was not that much big third party that was popular worldwide left to add:

"—Final Fantasy VII (FFVII below) has never been released on a Nintendo console, so how did Cloud end up appearing in Smash?

Sakurai: Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left."

Source: https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One word: Waifu

Same reason people prefer female versions of Corrin or Byleth, or Lucina from Chrom.
Um what?

First of all, this is ignoring everything about Lyn's character and second, Lucina and Chrom are not the same character.

Also I'm sure that a lot of people like female Corrin better because her voice direction isn't super bad.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be quite frank, proper speculation needs to have probabilities and observation on patterns in order to actually, well, speculate. Without trying to find a common thread amongst the additions and then compare those previously observed patterns to potential candidates, all we're doing is guessing and saying "I dunno, could be X character" over and over again. Speculation like this, especially when it lasts so long, is only really fun IMHO when you give it structure by trying to really look at the situation and form proper theories that have actual precedence to back them up.
Ok then I'll show you my thoughts on what I think will actually happen with the second Fighters Pass.

Trend seems to be that every wave of DLC so far, both in Smash 4 and Ultimate, that a couple of archetypes where more common than others.

One I'm certain of at this point is another fighting game character. We've had Ryu in Smash 4, Terry in the first Fighters Pass, and well, Min Min quite recently. A fighting game character has already been included, but there might be room for a 3rd party one. Ryu Habusa seems to fit the bill also, because the relation of Nintendo and Tech Koemi, and Ninja Garden being on Nintendo. He's my first prediction.

We also had a Fire Emblem character in literally every wave of DLC. First Roy, second Corrin, and then there was Byleth. There's no new Fire Emblem coming out, that we know of... Unless something is saved for a Direct? Imagine this! A Nintendo Direct with a new Fire Emblem game for Switch, following up with a Smash trailer introducing the new main character. People would complain about it being a "anime sword fighter from Fire Emblem" only for the character to reveal it being something totally different entirely. Remember Three Houses did very well.

I'm not predicting a new Fire Emblem character btw, but I'd die laughing if it happens.

A 3rd party character with star power on Nintendo. Banjo is a good example, but Bayonetta in a similar way. I could easily see the likes of Travis Touchdown and Crash Bandicoot therefore. One fits a typical 3D platformer mascot as Banjo, with ties to Nintendo and a sort of history of rivalry like with Sonic. I'm not for Crash perse, but I admit he fits. Travis Touchdown has just a great timing. I'm sure he did well on the Smash ballot too. There's a new game coming, his first game was decently popular during the time of the ballot, and he's a character to appeal to a more adult fan base.

Breath of the Wild 2 has been in development for a while. There hasn't been a new Zelda character for long. And I cannot believe that Piranha Plant, Byleth and Min Min are to be the only first party newcomers. I can't even predict a character here. This is in the blue much like a new Fire Emblem character, however it's not based on previous trends. Just what I personally think as a possibility.

A populary voted character from the ballot, as Isaac or Geno. A definite fan favourite. I could see either happening with remakes of their home games. Both had popular games, and the Switch is amazing for RPGs. Both are more likely than people give credit for. I predict we get either of them.

Pokémon is also bound to get something. Seems most likely for the next newcomer actually.

Am now noticing myself basing my speculation about potential upcoming games. Makes me realize how hard this is without any news coming out. Starting to follow the leaks myself, even if I never believed them. Since I've speculated a lot of years already, for 2 games prior to Ultimate even, I always noticed how quickly public opinion changed after Nintendo Directs. So nothing being shown hinders true speculation.

In short; my predictions are: Ryu Habusa, Travis Touchdown, Crash Bandicoot, Isaac / Geno, and a new Pokémon.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I have faith on only one possible western character; Crash Bandicoot, the rest like Master Chief, Rayman, Doomslayer, Lara Croft are maybe too western-centric to be included.

But I also think they will not push eastern-centric fighters, like Reimu or someone else.

I think that they will try to go for more mid-tier (speaking of sales only) japanese IPs like Ninja Gaiden, Tales of, Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, Guilty Gear, No More Heroes, etc.

On a “dream pass”?, here is my take:

• Min Min (ARMS)
  • Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry)
  • Kos-Mos (Xenosaga) or Elma (Xenoblade X)
  • Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We're rating passes now, eh? Guess I'll throw my hat in the ring. This is mainly based on realistic expectations, but listing everyone I could see happening would take forever, so I narrowed it down based on personal bias and aiming for roster diversity. I also threw in a couple darkhorses, so my choices wouldn't end up being too predictable.
  • 76 - Min Min
  • 77 - Crash Bandicoot
  • 78 - Isaac
  • 79 - Reimu Hakurei
  • 80 - Prince of Persia
  • 81 - Lloyd Irving
The end result, I feel is pretty well-balanced. Two first-parties, two Japanese third-parties, and two Western third-parties.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
That was about Cloud, he said that there was not that much big third party that was popular worldwide left to add:

"—Final Fantasy VII (FFVII below) has never been released on a Nintendo console, so how did Cloud end up appearing in Smash?

Sakurai: Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left."

Source: https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/
Ahh I didn't even known that was said in the Cloud interview

As for the Castlevania one, I did quote it wrong. Sakurai was talking about not being much Series from Konami (since they wanted to include a character from there). He was right on that one. Carry on

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
At this point, I'm less about guessing characters and hoping I'm right and more on promoting characters that aren't talked about that often in the hopes of getting the ball rolling for them for Smash 6. Sure, I could talk about Bandana Dee, Dante, Geno, Phoenix and Isaac and how unique a moveset they could bring to Smash, why they're likely and why they deserve it, but like five other people here could tell you that easy if prompted.

I'm kinda a sucker for darkhorses.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Come to think of it, I haven't been enjoying myself with speculation much, have I? Maybe that's the problem.

Uh...

Adeleine has a possible shot at getting added and people should giver her a chance.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
A pass consisting entirely of Steven's monster form? That's a pretty boild choice. I wonder if they could come up with enough moveset ideas to fill out five character slots. :4pacman:
I guess a full Steven/Rose Quartz pass would actually work!

• Steven (OG Series)
  • Steven (Movie/Future)
  • Rose Quartz
  • Rose Quartz (Real, from the zoo)
  • Pink Diamond
  • Corrupted Steven
this was what i had the whole time, obviously

7NATOR

Smash Master
I have faith on only one possible western character; Crash Bandicoot, the rest like Master Chief, Rayman, Doomslayer, Lara Croft are maybe too western-centric to be included.

But I also think they will not push eastern-centric fighters, like Reimu or someone else.

I think that they will try to go for more mid-tier (speaking of sales only) japanese IPs like Ninja Gaiden, Tales of, Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, Guilty Gear, No More Heroes, etc.

On a “dream pass”?, here is my take:

• Min Min (ARMS)
  • Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry)
  • Kos-Mos (Xenosaga) or Elma (Xenoblade X)
  • Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
I might be wrong on this one, but Isn't No More Heroes niche in Sales, especially in Japan? I believe the Series is like Sonic in that despite being a Japanesse created I.P, it's sales are niche in Japan. except probably on a Smaller Scale for Mo More Heroes

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Well then, since everyone else is doing it:

Dream Pass

Min Min (ARMS)
Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
Bandana Dee (Kirby)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Rayman (Rayman)
Wild Card (aka someone like Dante, Travis, Master Chief, Rex, etc)

Theoretical Pass

Min Min (ARMS)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Travis (No More Heroes)
Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)

I.D.

Smash Lord
Granted, I don't think it's fair to say that, because people don't guess things correctly 100% of the time, that it's all a waste of time. That's silly. But I also think it's silly for people to come into a speculation thread and say, "Why bother speculating when you're just going to be wrong?". The fact that this is mentioned so often makes it seem as though the people suggesting this don't actually want to speculate or have an inherent fear of being wrong about fictional characters in a wacky wahoo fighting game.
Man, you should stop taking every post questioning the methods regularly used here to predict characters as a personal affront or people suggesting you should simply stop speculating. In my particular case I'm even doing the opposite: I'm saying people should occasionally spin the chessboard around and try to look at it from a different perspective instead of simply going through a laundry list of "precedent" and writing a new addendum on it whenever it doesn't pan out.

You say that speculating isn't about being right but at the same time we're all trying to get closer to the answers here. It's fun because there's an objective to reach.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
If Sakurai was just a user on the site there are more than a few opinions you guys would roast him for, lol.
I mean, if that actually were to happen, his account's public accessibility wouldn't last three hours at most. And this probably applies to any site where he could potentially talk to others, not just SmashBoards.

SKX31

Smash Master
Okay, so my "somewhat realistic Pass". Going by similar criteria as SharkLord, and defining "somewhat realistic" as around 10-25 % in RTC terms:

• 76 - Min Min
  • 77 - Dante
  • 78 - Arle Nadja
  • 79 - Ahri (LoL)
  • 80 - Travis Touchdown
  • 81 - Master Chief

QUOTE="N3ON, post: 24060594, member: 85415"]
If Sakurai was just a user on the site there are more than a few opinions you guys would roast him for, lol.
[/QUOTE]

I'd (in a friendly manner) roast him for not including this* in Ultimate:

Imagine if Cranky Kong could wavedash, L cancel, shield drop, crouch cancel, etc while the rest of the cast could not. I think that would be hilarious. He'd be really OP but since he's an old man he'd have to have tripping from Brawl just to balance him out.
It would be in the spirit of the character. He complains about how kids have it too easy. He reminisces about the good old days. And now he's tired of being in retirement so he's back to style on all the spoiled youth.... IN SMASH.

He'd have disjointed cane strikes, which already would be a strong trait. Obviously the pogo bounce ala Duck Tales/Shovel Knight would be like his down B or his down air. Maybe give him the denture gun from Tropical Freeze? The rocking chair could be a smash attack or something. I feel the rocking chair is an iconic part of his character.
*(Two Melee mechanics I'd like to see in Ultimate are shield drops and edge-cancels in general - that would improve Ultimate's platform game. Currently, it's really tedious IMHO to be above someone on a platform because one is vurnerable to opponents attacking underneath.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, if that actually were to happen, his account's public accessibility wouldn't last three hours at most. And this probably applies to any site where he could potentially talk to others, not just SmashBoards.
All the Smash communities have their flaws but this site is by far the worst about dogpiling on anyone who suggests something less than ideal about the current roster, which Sakurai has done.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Okay, let me get this "prediction" roster straight...

Joker - You couldn't be more biased if you tried. I've heard a few good things about the Persona games, but it's a spinoff series that lives only on Playstation that barely cracks a million sales. If we're getting any Atlus rep, it'd be Jack Frost from the Main Series (SMT), which is loyal to Nintendo.

Hero - Dragon Quest is a nothing series outside of Japan, we're not getting a rep from it. What would this guy (or guys, as they aren't even original enough to stand on their own) even do? Swing a sword? Oh, how unique. If we get a Square character, it'll be Gaming Icon Geno.

Banjo - Okay, this is reasonable. Banjo is a beloved Nintendo icon stolen from us. At least you aren't saying Steve (a meme pick) or Mister Chef (Too Xboxy)

Terry Bogard - Another bias pick. Terry is from fighting game series that isn't even top 5, what right does it have to make it in over Tekken or Mortal Kombat? Besides, what would this Ken cosplayer even do? Are you even a Nintendo fan? For characters in and not a single one?

Byleth - You finally as a character from a Nintendo IP, and it's Fire Emblem character 8? Nice try, you got the attention of all the feamongering trolls. Besides, if we get another Iron rep, it'll be Edlegard, the most popular character.

so, in summary, your roster is trash and not a single character will be included (exept for Banjo maybe). @MasSakurai, prepare for the reality check tonight at the game awards, where they'll announce something reasonable.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay, let me get this "prediction" roster straight...

Joker - You couldn't be more biased if you tried. I've heard a few good things about the Persona games, but it's a spinoff series that lives only on Playstation that barely cracks a million sales. If we're getting any Atlus rep, it'd be Jack Frost from the Main Series (SMT), which is loyal to Nintendo.

Hero - Dragon Quest is a nothing series outside of Japan, we're not getting a rep from it. What would this guy (or guys, as they aren't even original enough to stand on their own) even do? Swing a sword? Oh, how unique. If we get a Square character, it'll be Gaming Icon Geno.

Banjo - Okay, this is reasonable. Banjo is a beloved Nintendo icon stolen from us. At least you aren't saying Steve (a meme pick) or Mister Chef (Too Xboxy)

Terry Bogard - Another bias pick. Terry is from fighting game series that isn't even top 5, what right does it have to make it in over Tekken or Mortal Kombat? Besides, what would this Ken cosplayer even do? Are you even a Nintendo fan? For characters in and not a single one?

Byleth - You finally as a character from a Nintendo IP, and it's Fire Emblem character 8? Nice try, you got the attention of all the feamongering trolls. Besides, if we get another Iron rep, it'll be Edelgard, the most popular character.

so, in summary, your roster is trash and not a single character will be included (exept for Banjo maybe). @MasSakurai, prepare for the reality check tonight at the game awards, where they'll announce something reasonable.
And this is why I always tell myself that the majority won't get it right whenever I start worrying about my most-wanteds.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Still personally thinking the Pass will go like this :
-Min Min
-Rayman
-Rex and Pyra/Mythra
-Geno
-Gen 8 Pokemon (Rillaboom specifically)
-Dante or literally any other Capcom character
3 first parties and 3 third parties

Status
Not open for further replies.