• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I will always maintain the core designs for basically everything in the DKC series still hold up. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see an HD version like this:

However I can still go back to all of them and enjoy the experience; same with Mario RPG really. I guess as someone who's experienced a lot poorly aged graphics from the generation after (N64, Saturn, PSX) its hard for me to look at most 16 bit stuff and conclude it looks all that bad today. Heck even Star Fox's biggest issue is the frame rate more so than the designs.
You know all the time I see indies trying to do revivals of 8 and 16-bit games, but I would like to see someone try to do a revival to a 32/64-bit game that would be just as low-poly as the games of old.

I don't know, I think there's some charm seeing how stuff was back then.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
SharkLord SharkLord just suggested a thread idea I think we could all benefit from:

Would it be a good idea to just have a thread sorta like RTC, but for just trying to sell you on a character? As in, every couple days, it would cycle through characters, describe who they are, what they could bring, how they would play, etc. I think it would be a cool way to try and introduce people to new characters and games, since RTC is mainly focused on the rating, with the wants being more of a side thing.
I also think that FP7 will be announced in September.
I'm sorry, but that's way too long to wait, assuming this character was supposed to be revealed alongside Min Min.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If you don't know, we're in the middle of a pandemic and everything does not make any sense.
And yet you expect to have made enough sense of Nintendo's current decisions to be able to predict when the next fighter will be shown? :4pacman:

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sleeper Pick?

Joanna Dark.

Ultimate has given a lot of attention to the relationship between Rare and Nintendo with characters like K Rool and Banjo (both revealed in very Rare like trailers) assist trophies like Krystal and Klaptrap, and the focus on DKC stages over more modern DK stages. Not to mention the Rare spirits that almost made it into the game. I don’t think it is likely, but there is some precedent for it.
Joanna would be awesome, though I don't know how I feel about her chances. Even if Microsoft is only going to allow dead Rare characters to show up on Smash, she still has to beat the likes of Grunty, Conker, Killer Instinct and Battletoads, and I've seen more demand for all of those.

Also, Xbox rumor mill has it that Perfect Dark is getting a reboot, though I don't know if that'd hurt or help her odds.
Mii Costume guy. Same guy that Predicted Mii costumes in Banjo Pack (Well Excluding Sans).
I dunno man if you make a prediction and miss the biggest costume you might have just been making a guess.
-> links to the Geno thread

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I think it's unreliable.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
who is the mii costume guy? I want to see that leak even if its fake.
Please refer to earlier pages (like, 2 back or so) for discussion on the mii costume rumor. I would much rather prefer we drop the topic going forward, for I see no productive conversation coming from it.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Well I did my best
also these are Pretty much my expectations now
It looks possible tbh
(Demi is a placeholder for the smtv protagonist btw. Demi will be his alt)
That’s a p sick selection. Some peeps would be upset with Urshifu, but single strike style is just Paul Pheonix from Tekken and I wanna death fist salty kids online. I love Dante. Demi Fiend is sick, Geno has to happen. I would’ve picked Jin and his keeper or whatever since I love his design, but Rex is basically a lock IMO

Not sure why you used the Order of the Sword logo for the series logo. I woulda just used the neon DMC logo

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Biggest reason I'm expecting September for FP7 is the amiibo wave. Those tend to coincide with Smash updates.

Plus, Nintendo is all kinds of messed up right now, and the partner showcases are focused on third party projects. I personally ain't expecting major Nintendo news for a looooong while.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Sometimes I wonder if the Fire Emblem fans that think to represent the series in Smash better there should be a mounted character have an idea of how would that work...

As in, what would the character look like? Would they be a towering giant over others or shrunk down? How would they grab into ledges? Would their attacks be so slow to compensate for potentially huge hitboxes?

Admittedly though, the thought of a shrunk down Sigurd grabbing on a ledge while trying to keep his horse with him just with his legs is too comical to pass up.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sometimes I wonder if the Fire Emblem fans that think to represent the series in Smash better there should be a mounted character have an idea of how would that work...

As in, what would the character look like? Would they be a towering giant over others or shrunk down? How would they grab into ledges? Would their attacks be so slow to compensate for potentially huge hitboxes?

Admittedly though, the thought of a shrunk down Sigurd grabbing on a ledge while trying to keep his horse with him just with his legs is too comical to pass up.
Opossum Opossum suggested the idea of Caeda's pegasus going into a Z-axis when she grabs ledges or ladders a few years back.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If we really follow the amiibo pattern from Pass 1, then I think CP7 will be revealed in August and released in September.

I think it'll be an August reveal for one simple reason: no DLC characters so far were revealed AND released in the same month.

So unless we get another Mini before the end of July, with Nintendo news and not just another partner showcase, to boot, it pretty much has to be August.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Whether games like DKC look “good” is really up to an individual’s interpretation of that artstyle. Whether it’s aged well is also up to an individual. However I do think games that went the extra mile to try to standout amongst the crowded overpopulation of sprites lend themselves to a specific personality that a lot of games of the era didn’t come close to achieving

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well I did my best
also these are Pretty much my expectations now
It looks possible tbh
(Demi is a placeholder for the smtv protagonist btw. Demi will be his alt)
It's not my personal favorite, but I'd accept it. As for my thoughts on the individual fighters?
Min Min actually happened, we all know this, moving on.
Geno, I'm not very confident on. He's popular, I'll give him that, but he has competition from both Mario reps and Square Enix reps, not to mention both parties can't really use him (Nintendo can't because he's owned by SE, SE can't because he's a Mario character). He's possible, yes, but I don't see it panning out.
Dante's my favorite out of this list. He's use his weapons in unique and stylish ways, and would have some good tracks to go with it. I'm not entirely sold on his chances, but I'd be very satisfied if he actually happens.
Mr/Ms. SMTV and Demi-Fiend would be interesting, but I think Joker hurts their chances a little. Not massively, mind you, but I'm not sure if Nintendo and/or Atlus are in the mood for a second MegaTen rep. Still, they've definitely got the legacy under their belts, and I'd be fine if they happened.
Rex is the most likely out of all this, I feel. He and an ARMS rep were both mentioned as characters who would've been added, but didn't release in time. We now have an ARMS rep. Going off of that logic, as well as the fact that Rex is hotly requested, especially in Japan, and things are looking up for them. The only thing I see seriously hurting their chances is if Xenoblade Chronicles 3 inexplicably comes out early next year, but I doubt it's that soon.
Urshifu, I don't feel is as likely as everyone suggests. Sure, Byleth was chosen in advance, but they were the star of the base game and are more recognizable for it. Urshifu's from a DLC, and it won't even be the last one. If they have the same gap between release and Smash reveal as Byleth, it would be more beneficial if we got Calyrex instead. Why push an old DLC pack when you could promote the base game or the new DLC? Besides, we already got SwSh Spirits, and the starters and Legendaries had to be crammed into a single Spirit. I don't see a SwSh rep happening, honestly.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
It's not my personal favorite, but I'd accept it. As for my thoughts on the individual fighters?
Min Min actually happened, we all know this, moving on.
Geno, I'm not very confident on. He's popular, I'll give him that, but he has competition from both Mario reps and Square Enix reps, not to mention both parties can't really use him (Nintendo can't because he's owned by SE, SE can't because he's a Mario character). He's possible, yes, but I don't see it panning out.
Dante's my favorite out of this list. He's use his weapons in unique and stylish ways, and would have some good tracks to go with it. I'm not entirely sold on his chances, but I'd be very satisfied if he actually happens.
Mr/Ms. SMTV and Demi-Fiend would be interesting, but I think Joker hurts their chances a little. Not massively, mind you, but I'm not sure if Nintendo and/or Atlus are in the mood for a second MegaTen rep. Still, they've definitely got the legacy under their belts, and I'd be fine if they happened.
Rex is the most likely out of all this, I feel. He and an ARMS rep were both mentioned as characters who would've been added, but didn't release in time. We now have an ARMS rep. Going off of that logic, as well as the fact that Rex is hotly requested, especially in Japan, and things are looking up for them. The only thing I see seriously hurting their chances is if Xenoblade Chronicles 3 inexplicably comes out early next year, but I doubt it's that soon.
Urshifu, I don't feel is as likely as everyone suggests. Sure, Byleth was chosen in advance, but they were the star of the base game and are more recognizable for it. Urshifu's from a DLC, and it won't even be the last one. If they have the same gap between release and Smash reveal as Byleth, it would be more beneficial if we got Calyrex instead. Why push an old DLC pack when you could promote the base game or the new DLC? Besides, we already got SwSh Spirits, and the starters and Legendaries had to be crammed into a single Spirit. I don't see a SwSh rep happening, honestly.
Thanks.

you know. what sakurai said about arms & xenoblade isn’t the only thing that makes him possible again as well as japan request thing. And this is going by Nintendo’s prespective what makes them want to choose him. I’ll whip it up soon why nintendo would want to Choose him soon. It’ll take a while to type it all

MooMew64

If we really follow the amiibo pattern from Pass 1, then I think CP7 will be revealed in August and released in September.

I think it'll be an August reveal for one simple reason: no DLC characters so far were revealed AND released in the same month.

So unless we get another Mini before the end of July, with Nintendo news and not just another partner showcase, to boot, it pretty much has to be August.
Byleth was revealed and released in January.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Do you guys think that Rex being a premium bonus Mii Costume in the first pass affects his chances for the second pass? Wouldn't that pretty much be selling the character twice?

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Do you guys think that Rex being a premium bonus Mii Costume in the first pass affects his chances for the second pass? Wouldn't that pretty much be selling the character twice?
Not that much it was a free -5 dollar bonus for pass 1 (which was all decided before pass 2 was a thing) Instead of being in a mii outfit wave. If he was in a wave we would have a long argument about it. And besides Nintendo doesn’t care who’s already represented before all of this pass 2 stuff they could just add him if they wanted too. A mii outfit isn’t gonna stop them from picking him.

I’m not even gonna answer about the whole “these fighters have costumes” thing btw

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Byleth was revealed and released in January.
...for whatever reason, their reveal got stuck in my head as December. Honest mistake, I guess.

Regardless, aside from Byleth, the shortest waiting period was one month (Hero, who was revealed in June and released in July), with the other 5 DLC characters taking two or more. I think it's pretty safe to say that less than one month is not the norm here.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This is something I've been thinking about for a long time. The thing is that Rex was an incentive to purchase the fighters pass. So his Mii costume is a special case where yes you put money towards it but it's not like a separate purchase. So while I think his Mii costume does hurt his chances a bit, I think he would be an exception when it comes to the DLC Mii costume situation. Keep in mind that his Mii costume did get announced way before the second pass would have been planned. I could see this being a situation where Sakurai wasn't sure if there was going to be a second pass so he made sure to include Rex in some way just in case he couldn't make it happen. But with a fresh new pass, Sakurai could easily rectify this and add Rex.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think the addition of the Mii costume, Most of the main cast already being spirits, The existence of a few music tracks and The fact that the Xenoblade franchise has moved on from Xenoblade 2, I think severely hurts Rex's chances.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Nah, it was a decision made during basegame development and the beginning of DLC pack 1, weeeeeellll before DLC pack 2. Rex is the same as any Mii costume added during basegame planning IMO: I think he's back on the table for pack 2.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nah, Rex's Mii Costume wasn't really sold, it was more of a bonus thing. Nobody's going to complain that they bought the Mii Costume and now Rex's playable because I really doubt anyone shelled out those 25 bucks for the Rex Mii and saw the Fighter Pass as a cool bonus. Plus, it's not like his Mii Costume will cease to exist with a playable Rex, it's pretty much the same as any basegame content really.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Something I just want to briefly address is that the difference between speculating and leaking should probably be fairly defined by this point, but I guess I still see it come up occasionally and just wanna give my two cents. If you're posting something and the only sources of information are your own thoughts and publicly available information that isn't needlessly obscure or otherwise gated, then you're speculating. If you're posting and referring to a source that is not publicly available or is only available in confidence, then you are bringing unknown information out publicly and thus "leaking" something regardless of how you may see your personal behavior. People can speculate said additional sources they have, but the second you're revealing something new to the public discourse, you've moved beyond simple speculation.

I've always thought that was a fairly straightforward way to look at things and I just wanted to address it without starting anything else before it comes up again in conversation. I hope that makes sense and isn't an unreasonable way of viewing things to express.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Nah, Rex's Mii Costume wasn't really sold, it was more of a bonus thing. Nobody's going to complain that they bought the Mii Costume and now Rex's playable because I really doubt anyone shelled out those 25 bucks for the Rex Mii and saw the Fighter Pass as a cool bonus. Plus, it's not like his Mii Costume will cease to exist with a playable Rex, it's pretty much the same as any basegame content really.
I bought the pass day 1 because I wanted more fighters I didn’t care about the Rex outfit back then tho.
However i did get a great deal with the pass anyway
:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth:

and I hope for the same as pass 2 I hope
:ultminmin ? ? ? ? ?

(also can someone add in the female byleth icon in here please?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom