• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I know people have been using this template to predict the rest of the DLC, but I thought it would be fun to make a wishlist version of it instead:

Literally none of these are probably happening, but eh, it's fun to dream. :)
Out of those I'd say Octolings have the least probability, followed by Waluigi.
  • If we get a Tales of rep, Yuri is a frontrunner. Dude's so popular he got banned from official popularity polls because he just kept winning them. Most statements from Tales of series producer in favor of Lloyd and Symphonia come pre-Vesperia (the game Yuri debuted in), and Vesperia just received a nice fancy HD remaster that hit the Switch like a year or so ago.
  • While I don't know how likely it is that Sega double dips, and I don't know how Kiryu stands compared to other Sega choices, he's a viable contender.
  • We're likely getting a Capcom character this pass, and Phoenix Wright is by far the most prominent Nintendo-focused Capcom series. He's definitely possible.
Don't give up hope buddy.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
That's the thing though, if they want to promote the series by adding a new character to get people buy the game, they would go to the most recent release
I hate promotional picks. It's the reason why we have eight Fire Emblem characters and six Zelda characters despite Zelda being much bigger.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
Of all the DLC released so far, I've only known about Piranha Plant and Banjo & Kazooie... I expect the trend to continue.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know people have been using this template to predict the rest of the DLC, but I thought it would be fun to make a wishlist version of it instead:
I don't get these. There's so much wasted space here compared to the Fighters Pass 2 version.

Like, we know who the already out DLC characters are, you guys don't have to keep reposting them along with your predictions and wishlists.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I have a question for people. Since Sakurai is obviously trying to make each DLC character bring something new to the table and I think he's even claimed as much, do your most wanteds actually have the capacity to do so? For example, I know Rex talk has gotten stale, but I would like Rex (even though I'm unsure if Nintendo agrees), and one of his strengths is that Pyra and the concept of Blades provides some material for unique play mechanics.

My unpopular opinion is Crash, while iconic, I feel would probably have a basic b*tch moveset. I have a hard time imagining some kind of unique mechanic that hasn't been done belonging solely to him. If someone wants to prove me wrong, I encourage it.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
I heard that a resetera user stated that Nintendo has a another major announcement about the first three Mario 3D remasters or a single game coming in the next month.
Does anyone know about that?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I have a question for people. Since Sakurai is obviously trying to make each DLC character bring something new to the table and I think he's even claimed as much, do your most wanteds actually have the capacity to do so? For example, I know Rex talk has gotten stale, but I would like Rex (even though I'm unsure if Nintendo agrees), and one of his strengths is that Pyra and the concept of Blades provides some material for unique play mechanics.

My unpopular opinion is Crash, while iconic, I feel would probably have a basic b*tch moveset. I have a hard time imagining some kind of unique mechanic that hasn't been done belonging solely to him. If someone wants to prove me wrong, I encourage it.
I mean, how "gimmicky" does a character have to be to be considered "unique"?

People act like Banjo-Kazooie's Wonder Wing is some character defining gimmick when it's just one special move, and Byleth's gimmick is that he doesn't have one. It doesn't mean that neither character isn't "unique" in some way.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Since Sakurai is obviously trying to make each DLC character bring something new to the table and I think he's even claimed as much, do your most wanteds actually have the capacity to do so? For example, I know Rex talk has gotten stale, but I would like Rex (even though I'm unsure if Nintendo agrees), and one of his strengths is that Pyra and the concept of Blades provides some material for unique play mechanics.
I mean, I think Rex has the capacity to be an interesting fighter. But not when people suggest stuff like "Pyra stands in the background and provides buffs and never attacks" because they acknowledge the "Blades stand behind their Drivers" aspect but not the "Blades regularly handle their own weapon in-game" part which makes up like 50% of mid/endgame combat. On that note, I wouldn't have envisioned Joker as a meter character but Sakurai's appreciation of Persona 5 is very aesthetics-based. The idea of RISING UP AGAINST SOCIETY (WITH LEVEL OF RISING UP DISPLAYED IN BAR) is very important to him, apparently.

I do think my most wanteds have the capacity, at least. It usually boils down to risk vs reward (while doing so in a new novel way), something Sakurai's gone on and on about.
  • Elma's XBX animations and skill set all prioritize movement in order to gain additional benefits from back and side attacks. A move set where she moves with her attacks and gains bonus effects for specific hitboxes, angles etc gives a clear incentive to fight a certain way and for the opponent to prevent them from taking advantage
  • An SMT character is dependent on party support to get anything done and to cover elements they aren't. This translates over to a base moveset where the summoner has clear weaknesses, and their demons contribute unique strengths that help offset this. For instance, a Physical-build Demi-fiend has clear weaknesses with range, elemental spells, speed etc which demons can help with whether it's by providing an elemental spell, buffs, helping with movement/recovery etc.
It's pretty easy to come up with movesets with that sort of thinking.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Isaac could pretty easily have a moveset that could stand out, between his Venus psynergy, his utility/"hand" psynergy, and Djinn could probably be used in a gimmicky way if need be.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I have a question for people. Since Sakurai is obviously trying to make each DLC character bring something new to the table and I think he's even claimed as much, do your most wanteds actually have the capacity to do so?
Nope. They're a bunch of NES characters. Mostly action platformers and beat-em-ups. Unless Sakurai decided to get weird, they would all have fairly straightforward movesets.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I mean, Wonder Wing is more of a good side special than a gimmick. GO! is just a couple of really good command-input moves, not all that different from the strong command input stuff Ryu and Ken have. Byleth's gimmick is... different weapons? They mostly just feel like a slower but stronger version of your typical swordie. Yes, Sakurai likes adding new mechanics and playstyles where he can, but I feel like we put too much emphasis on "needing a gimmick". We shouldn't count characters out just because they're likely to follow a more traditional playstyle

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Besides, they can easily add a gimmick to a character that doesn’t overtly have one in their games: K. Rool‘s Smash moveset would’ve been boring if Sakurai didn’t take the belly armor and attached a mechanic to it.

Byleth in their home game had access to time-travel shenanigans and batallions, but instead their Smash moveset is an alternate universe where Sothis gave them an otherwise impossible to achieve array of weapons.

No reason to act like someone is out if their homegame doesn’t feature a meter of some sorts. Sakurai tries to create unique movesets, but that doesn’t mean he only picks intrinsically bonkers characters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
GO! is just a couple of really good command-input moves, not all that different from the strong command input stuff Ryu and Ken have.
Regardless, they're only available in a certain situation and have slightly more complex inputs. That's where the idea that GO is different from other FG input specials comes from.

But yes, we don't focus enough on different ways in which a fighter can be unique that aren't "take mechanics from their original game". It can help, but it isn't everything.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
That's the thing though, if they want to promote the series by adding a new character to get people buy the game, they would go to the most recent release
Idk If you’re referring to xc:de but if you are then idk if they even wanna promote that like get another fighter from Xenoblade 1 since the trend is about new worlds (yes 3 houses counts as a new world because it’s not in the same place like awakening or fates It’s a completely new location in the wolrd of three houses & notice how in the end where they show SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE X GAME LOGO That game logo appears on top of the stage picture in the stage select screen If you know what I’m talking about, so why are we crossing over with xenoblade 1 again and not Somthing outside of it? Like the world of xenoblade 2 which takes place in a completely different location nowhere near the bionis & mechonis. Other examples for new worlds from series that already have fighters are smrpg & Pokémon sword & shield.) And besides from sakurais article the reason an arms rep was decided I don’t think it was because they needed to advertised or bring back from the dead it was Problably because of their unique fighting style so rex doesn’t need to promote anything. He could just get in if they want him in I think people take what nintendo would choose for the dlc too much(as in advertising the whole pass). Besides he could be the same reason as Min Min, unique playstyle (affinity & blade switching).

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't get these. There's so much wasted space here compared to the Fighters Pass 2 version.

Like, we know who the already out DLC characters are, you guys don't have to keep reposting them along with your predictions and wishlists.
Well they do have a blank template as well if you want to fill both passes with characters you want.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Idk If you’re referring to xc:de but if you are then idk if they even wanna promote that like get another fighter from Xenoblade 1 since the trend is about new worlds (yes 3 houses counts as a new world because it’s not in the same place like awakening or fates It’s a completely new location in the wolrd of three houses & notice how in the end where they show SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE X GAME LOGO That game logo appears on top of the stage picture in the stage select screen If you know what I’m talking about, so why are we crossing over with xenoblade 1 again and not Somthing outside of it? Like the world of xenoblade 2 which takes place in a completely different location nowhere near the bionis & mechonis. Other examples for new worlds from series that already have fighters are smrpg & Pokémon sword & shield.) And besides from sakurais article the reason an arms rep was decided I don’t think it was because they needed to advertised or bring back from the dead it was Problably because of their unique fighting style so rex doesn’t need to promote anything. He could just get in if they want him in I think people take what nintendo would choose for the dlc too much(as in advertising the whole pass). Besides he could be the same reason as Min Min, unique playstyle (affinity & blade switching).
Idk man I wouldn't have argued ARMS was new to Smash as of Min Min due to it's content and XB2 had more than ARMS did. As for why they would promote a remaster, why did Brawl give us 3 more Kanto mons? Because of the remakes. It really depends on Nintendo wanting Rex despite having nothing new nor likely appearing in the future.

Btw I don't think anyone should argue Nintendo picking the characters and using Sakurai's reasons for not saying no to Nintendo, see this a lot even outside of Rex

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
If you don't know, we're in the middle of a pandemic and everything does not make any sense.
Nintendo have been unusually secretive lately.
Oh, so secretive that someone could predict, oh I dunno
FP6 being delayed
and then repeat the same prediction every other time someone posts?
and then be wrong?

Do tell

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Here's an idea then. The last character you played as is playable, and their homestage is the last stage you played, who is it? For me, it'd be Rouge the Bat and her homestage is Security Hall from SA2. Not the Sonic character I hoped for tbh
Akira Howard from Astral Chain, with an Astral Plane stage...

I'm actually ok with this!

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Here's an idea then. The last character you played as is playable, and their homestage is the last stage you played, who is it? For me, it'd be Rouge the Bat and her homestage is Security Hall from SA2. Not the Sonic character I hoped for tbh
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are already playable tho.

Clam City would be an...interesting stage to choose (how would underwater mechanics even work in Smash?), but at least there would be no excuse to not have Aquatic Ambience as a track anymore.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are already playable tho.

Clam City would be an...interesting stage to choose (how would underwater mechanics even work in Smash?), but at least there would be no excuse to not have Aquatic Ambience as a track anymore.
In that case who were the last characters before that? Their homestage will still be Clam City tho lmao

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Louie from Pikmin 2, with the Submerged Castle as his included stage.

I actually think Louie with a unique moveset involving the Pikmin beasts would be cool... but Submerged Castle? Not sure if I'd like dealing with the Waterwraith in Smash...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That'd be the player character from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX (in my case a Typhlosion) with the Wishing Cave as a stage. . .
Well, at least there's Mystery Dungeon content in Smash then?

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Rocket League car, with the underwater arena as the stage. Would make for a very pretty stage.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Ark from Terranigma uses a spear and uses elemental rings. He'd be kind of like Hero and Corrin put together but Ark's personality would make him stand out.

Axel Stone? Nah... He is built like a Smash Bros character what with the blitz attack and the offense and defense specials. He could have the unique ability of automatically grabbing opponents if he walks into them.

But Sgt. Cortez? Most definitely. He could be the first character to exclusively fight using projectile weapons. He also has the Temporal Uplink that works just like the Gravity gun from Half Life 2 but it's strapped to his right arm so it's more convenient for combat. It would like a reflector but you can catch it and then move around to throw it whenever you like.
He uses time portals to travel through time which could work as his Up special. It would work similar to Orcane's up special from Rivals of Aether.
He can throw time grenades to slow characters down who get hit by them like Bayonetta's witch time. Cortez can bring a lot of new things to the table.

TimeSplitters 2, Jake Fenton, Chicago 1932

The character is boring but the stage would be awesome.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Jin Sakai from Ghost of Tsushima. Strangely, I wouldn't mind because that game is awesome.

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean, Wonder Wing is more of a good side special than a gimmick. GO! is just a couple of really good command-input moves, not all that different from the strong command input stuff Ryu and Ken have. Byleth's gimmick is... different weapons? They mostly just feel like a slower but stronger version of your typical swordie. Yes, Sakurai likes adding new mechanics and playstyles where he can, but I feel like we put too much emphasis on "needing a gimmick". We shouldn't count characters out just because they're likely to follow a more traditional playstyle
Small addition:

Terry does also have the dodge attack and charge partitioning (exclusive to Rising Tackle). While Byleth's "gimmick" are the different weapons, I'd personally argue that it's also the heavy emphasis on big heavy hitting moves that encourages strategic usage and hard reads*. More so than any other character really.

Other than SSBU Cloud on Battlefield forms... hmm...

Ring Fit Adventurer, Dragaux's Stadium. Fully support this all the way.

*(More so than :ultganondorf: - Byleth has all axe attacks, Arrow, all smash attacks and one could argue Up B. In particular the "Up-B -> Down Air" followup: it requires the Byleth to correctly read the opponent's DI to connect. Up-Smash is fast but has almost no grounded hitboxes.)

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Oh cool, we have another Fire emblem three houses character. I've been playing with Blue lions, so the character would be Dimitri and the stage would be Fodlan's throat.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Do you guys think that Rex being a premium bonus Mii Costume in the first pass affects his chances for the second pass? Wouldn't that pretty much be selling the character twice?
I find the way that Nintendo handled Xenoblade Chronicles 2 content in base game Ultimate combined with how Xenoblade Chronicles 2 differs from ARMS to be suspect for Rex's inclusion TBH. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got a fair amount of content in base game with several Spirits, three songs, and the Nia costume in base game alongside Rex as the Fighter's Pass Bonus Costume. Not a ton of stuff, and obviously anything Smash can always be expanded upon, but a solid little chunk of content. The choice to put Three Houses content in, but not the recently released Xenoblade Chronicles 2 always felt like it spoke to certain priorities to me with how they were approaching those two series. It really depends on how early in the process Three Houses was chosen to receive content versus Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The further removed from XC2's release, the more its success would have already been known to Nintendo as XC2 was a considerable step up from XCX's sales figures.

Now I initially considered ARMS out of the running too, but the difference with ARMS finally getting content versus XC2 is that ARMS had no playable fighter in Smash versus the fact that Smash had Shulk already pulling weight for the series and about to be in a titular role as one of their primary 2020 releases. Having a fighter in Smash helps represent an ongoing series, and while Smash isn't really all that much to save a series, it is additional exposure that Nintendo is generally going to want for any ongoing series they're continuing to invest in. In that context, Shulk not only pulls the weight of Xenoblade Chronicles as a series in Smash, but also accidentally would end up the advertising rep for the most recent Xenoblade at the time of Fighter's Pass Volume 2. ARMS didn't have such a reality, and if it's a series that Nintendo intends to continue in the future, choosing to invest in it the way they did makes a ton of sense. Another ARMS free trial plus three months of Smash discussion about ARMS leading to Min Min is a pretty solid push that stands to benefit whatever comes next for the series.

That puts Rex in an awkward spot though. Rex remains popular as an option, but as I've pointed out, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a fair amount of content, XC is already in Smash, and it seems like Rex will probably not continue as the main protagonist into future XC projects. He's in no way impossible, but I also do question how likely he is at this point. It really depends on what benefit Nintendo sees in including him and if they're happy to let things be as they are or if they want to push other options. XC is a growing brand, so you'd think that Nintendo would choose to push it like they have tended to push Fire Emblem in the past, but Rex could just be the Gen 3 or Gen 5 Pokemon of this game. The character that misses the roster due to bad timing and a different set of priorities.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

Right now my most wanted is between two people, so I’ll be doing both.
Phoenix easily has enough content to bring to Smash. There are plenty of iconic characters who could work as spirits, and music is an easy win. If they really wanted to, they could pull a Terry Bogard and give Phoenix 50 tracks. The difference is, they could do it while still picking tracks relevant to him. Stage could just be one of the many courtrooms. He also has plenty of moveset concepts with fun gimmicks, like in UMvC3 or SSBC. You may think that the evidence gimmick is overused in moveset concepts, but if Sakurai were to use it in his own unique way, I’m sure it’d be fun.
I don’t think I need to tell you how unique Chell would be. Moveset potential is completely uncalled for with Chell, but she has a ton of it. Spirits would be a bit harder but not impossible, and stage would be pretty easy. What really concerns me is what music they would give her. None of the music is exactly memorable other than the credits songs. So it’s definitely not impossible, but will be incredibly hard to pick a decent amount of music for her.

Last edited:

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
This is a tough one since I played FFX last. Yuna in Zanarkand

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Meat Boy with his stage being the Forest and Lil Slugger as an stage boss/hazard.
(The forest would catch on fire as the fight goes on.)

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Last character I played as is Little Mac..
Before that is Link..
and then Ryu from Breath of Fire.
Last stage I played on is Punching Ring...
But after that is the overworld from Cadence of Hyrule.
edit: punching ring lmao

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom