• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
So, this Mii costume thing is apparently from a Mii Costume guy, brought up by Fatman...

Tell me, guys, how many things has Fatman gotten wrong, and if you can tell me, what are they?
Fatman has never been wrong he just hasn't been proven right yet :4pacman:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
obesemaleoncoldwater isn't really a down-and-out leaker but he's still gotten a lot wrong so i wouldn't really put much stock in what he says either way

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Plot twist: there's gonna be a 3rd Fighters Pass , but it's only Echoes, and it's free.

Which 5 would you pick ?
1) Louie over Olimar (with the President as an Alt)
2) Shadow over Sonic (I mean it’s only echoes)
3) Dixie Kong over Diddy
4) Black Shadow over Falcon (has old Ganon moveset)
5) idk, Octolings over Inklings I guess

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
How do you know this?
Because we've seen him. I don't recall him actually trying to leak anything. If he did leak anything and he was right, he'd definitely be labeled as credible by now. Otherwise, most of his postings are just hypothetical speculation from what his, uh, "sources" tell him.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Because we've seen him. I don't recall him actually trying to leak anything. If he did leak anything and he was right, he'd definitely be labeled as credible by now. Otherwise, most of his postings are just hypothetical speculation from what his, uh, "sources" tell him.
Just because he has "sources" does not make him a leaker, right? I wonder if he has any sources at all?

I.D.

Smash Lord
View attachment 279869
-Blue Hair
-Anime Swordsman
-Student (like Joker)
-Teacher (like Byleth)
-Popular in Japan
-Would likely come with a Joker-esque comeback mechanic
-Has a mecha
-JRPG Protagonist of a series that has (slightly/decently) popular in Japan/China, and one that has a lot of legacy (like Fatal Fury)
-Company really lax with copyrights, would likely come with a similar amount of tracks as Terry.
-3rd game came out on the Switch this year, 4th game comes out on the Switch next year.
-5th game comes out in Japan next month (PS4 only).
-No Spirit Event or Mii costumes (so still on the table).

Nothing personnel kids but I think Rean Schwarzer from ColdSteel is pretty much a hard lock at this point. He clearly meets all the requirements of who Sakurai likes to add to Smash, and my source, Uncle Nintendo, confirmed it.

Just in case it needs to be said, I am joking. If (and it's a big If) Falcom gets a character, I would prefer Estelle anyways.
Okay, but only if his crowd cheer is "That's our Rean!" and one of his taunts is an extremely spammable "haha"

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I mean, as weird as it looks like, we have... This.

I don't like the idea either.
I know that plenty of costumes have proportions that aren't a match for the character they're based on, but I don't think Gooigi's design lends itself to this considering he's essentially "Luigi's shape minus all of his other identifying characteristics like texture and color."

I dunno, every time I try and picture it, it just comes out wrong.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If he's flaunting them around, he's pretty much trying to be a leaker who barely leaks anything.
I have a feeling those sources are just him reading other people's leaks online, but that is just me thinking.

EDIT: Let's forget about Fatman for now. I forgot the last time I brought him up, a mod said it wasn't a good idea to do so.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
PM me if you want to continue this.
But it's a leak? I don't care about the person attached to it, but if Fatman has some secrecy with it it's already on the sus charts.

I just wanna know what the ****'s going on, I might as well just investigate myself.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
How can you even tell? It's all looked the same since ps3
lol seriously
I mean if you're talking about indie games, free to play games or low budget games then sure, but I don't know which games have you seen from PS4/PS5 or Xbox One/Series X to say that, honestly.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
But it's a leak? I don't care about the person attached to it, but if Fatman has some secrecy with it it's already on the sus charts.

I just wanna know what the ****'s going on, I might as well just investigate myself.
It's the same Mii Costume leak from last year. It appears that Fatman added more names to the list, including Joanna Dark and 2B. I think he predicted a Perfect Dark reveal at the Xbox event today which obviously didn't happen.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's the same Mii Costume leak from last year. It appears that Fatman added more names to the list, including Joana Dark and 2B. I think he predicted a Perfect Dark reveal at the Xbox event today which obviously didn't happen.
I'd hate to bring him up again, but maybe the Mii list is something made up, which were lucky? I mean, Mallow and Smithy have not been revealed as costumes.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Know what game aged well? Donkey Kong Country.

I'll always say this whenever aging in games come up. I'll take any excuse.
Any opportunity to remind people how wrong you are?

"Hey, you know how bad Transformers: Beast Wars looks now? What if it was also digitized like Pit Fighter!"

Outside of maybe StarFox, the DKC games are now some of the worst looking SNES games.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Any opportunity to remind people how wrong you are?

"Hey, you know how bad Transformers: Beast Wars looks now? What if it was also digitized like Pit Fighter!"

Outside of maybe StarFox, the DKC games are now some of the worst looking SNES games.
I dunno, I understand Star Fox, but the DKC series looks okay to me.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The current Sonic games have lost all that energy and style that they once had. Alot of SEGA game have arcadish features in them that they inherited from the companies history.

Sonic lost all of it aside from rankings, which are easy as **** to get now. In forces you can just get a S rank by hoping on 5 enemies and collecting 50 rings.

In Adventure 2 you get a A-rank by chaining enemy kills, timing tricks on rails, collecting and surviving the stage with a ton of rings, taking risky shortcuts, finding item boxes, finding gold enemies, getting a good time, etc. Y'know stuff thats made to make player take advantage of sonic and friends abilities and explore the stage.

What people actually want from a sonic game.

I assume most people are unaware of all the risky shortcuts you can take on in SA2. The level design was built for doing stuff like this.
There's spring under bridge in Radical Highway that lets you skip the entire bridge part by taking the risk of spin dashing off the platform and getting high enough speed to reach it.

@1:02

there's also the shortcut in Crazy Gadget that lets you skip the entire puzzle section near the end.
That's why Adventure 2 is my favorite Sonic game. The Speed sections are such a blast to play through and they really capture how Sonic should play in 3D

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That's why Adventure 2 is my favorite Sonic game. The Speed sections are such a blast to play through and they really capture how Sonic should play in 3D
Yeah, though I like the recent Sonic games, especially the daytime levels of Sonic Unleashed. Those levels were a blast to play to me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The current Sonic games have lost all that energy and style that they once had. Alot of SEGA game have arcadish features in them that they inherited from the companies history.

Sonic lost all of it aside from rankings, which are easy as **** to get now. In forces you can just get a S rank by hoping on 5 enemies and collecting 50 rings.

In Adventure 2 you get a A-rank by chaining enemy kills, timing tricks on rails, collecting and surviving the stage with a ton of rings, taking risky shortcuts, finding item boxes, finding gold enemies, getting a good time, etc. Y'know stuff thats made to make player take advantage of sonic and friends abilities and explore the stage.

What people actually want from a sonic game.

I assume most people are unaware of all the risky shortcuts you can take on in SA2. The level design was built for doing stuff like this.
There's spring under bridge in Radical Highway that lets you skip the entire bridge part by taking the risk of spin dashing off the platform and getting high enough speed to reach it.

@1:02

there's also the shortcut in Crazy Gadget that lets you skip the entire puzzle section near the end.
Oh wow, that's like those ultra-stylish Devil May Cry videos turned into a platformer. This, this is what Sonic needs. Even if it keeps the Boost gameplay-Which isn't inherently bad, mind you-Sonic needs those secrets, the opportunities... The Endless Possibilities, if you will.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's the same Mii Costume leak from last year. It appears that Fatman added more names to the list, including Joanna Dark and 2B. I think he predicted a Perfect Dark reveal at the Xbox event today which obviously didn't happen.
Is this the same Mii costume guy that predicted Three Houses Mii costumes then walked it back saying that they were actually talking about Byleth's alt colors?

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
for me it's Gooigi. how they gonna replicate the slime look? and Ms. Pac-Man shoulda been an alt, or even a Spirit. i mean she is in the bg of that one stage
Gooigi is also a weird one.
Considering Ms. Pac-Man isn't even a spirit makes me question the leak, though I'm not sure much about the whole copyright thing so it could just be me not knowing much about it that makes me question it.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Is this the same Mii costume guy that predicted Three Houses Mii costumes then walked it back saying that they were actually talking about Byleth's alt colors?
That's the one. They also predicted costumes for KoF/FF that they walked back to being about Spirits after the reveal.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Joanna Dark is such a weird choice when we already got Rare content in Smash, you'd think it would come with Banjo. Sony first party content that they're implying is also a bit much for me.

Also, Gooigi can't be a Mii costume because he's gonna be the grand finale of the pass, so it's fake. :drohyou:

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
That's the one. They also predicted costumes for KoF/FF that they walked back to being about Spirits after the reveal.
Gotcha. Yeah, I don't know why anyone would give them the time of day, personally.

I'm trying to imagine how any insider could end up with such a weird patchwork of knowledge on the game. "No characters, but here's a bunch of Mii costumes that will be in that imply characters. No wait, those ones were referring to the alternate colors of a character I didn't mention. Oh, and those ones were spirits, not Mii Costumes. Did I mention I also know about Spirits?"

Wild.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
How would Gooigi work as a Mii costume, for that matter? Maybe I'm just having a hard time imagining it but that sounds terrible.

He's a single-color wad of transparent goo. As a Mii fighter, he wouldn't even be able to retain Luigi's shape or silhouette.
Probably with extra bucketloads of particle effects.

I'm honestly surprised that Sakurai / Nintendo hasn't gone full Valve and started including extra particle effects with the Premium Mii Costumes.

Then again, particle effects can have a gameplay impact, so I can fully understand if they don't.

KoF / FF costumes other than *checks* Iori and Ryo? Or was the initial guess that Terry's Mii costumes was going to be all KoF / FF?

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
KoF / FF costumes other than *checks* Iori and Ryo? Or was the initial guess that Terry's Mii costumes was going to be all KoF / FF?
The latter. IIRC they said Nakoruru, Geese, Iori, Ryo, and Kyo. It's pretty clear they were making guesses because it isn't hard to predict what sort of characters would come with Terry.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Joanna Dark is such a weird choice when we already got Rare content in Smash. Sony first party content that they're implying is also a bit much for me.

Also, Gooigi can't be a Mii costume because he's gonna be the grand finale of the pass, so it's fake. :drohyou:
apparently they're not implying content from a sony first-party but rather content from a series heavily associated to sony

regardless, i really don't know what to say about fatman

like he's probably a nice guy, but it's safe to say that he gets a LOT wrong. but at the same time i don't really think we should consider him a leaker and i don't think he considers himself one either

i think it's just that his sources are unreliable a lot of the time and that his theories don't pan out often. i don't think this is some conspiracy where he makes everything up for the sake of telling the geno thread geno's coming or whatever, i just chalk it up personally to him getting things wrong and that's that, end of story.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I dunno, I understand Star Fox, but the DKC series looks okay to me.
Looking okay is not aging well when most of the real 16-bit sprite art of the era still looks gorgeous.

Like, I love me some Super Mario RPG, but it's probably the worst looking Square RPG on that console. Because the rotoscoped claymation looks gross compared to everything else they did.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Probably with extra bucketloads of particle effects.

I'm honestly surprised that Sakurai / Nintendo hasn't gone full Valve and started including extra particle effects with the Premium Mii Costumes.

Then again, particle effects can have a gameplay impact, so I can fully understand if they don't.
Could also say that about character costumes. A lot of people want/would pay for these and it would give us different versions of characters we have, maybe with different voices and visual effects.

Examples include Gooigi, TP Ganon, a full Cosplay Pikachu set, Dry Bowser, etc.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Looking okay is not aging well when most of the real 16-bit sprite art of the era still looks gorgeous.
At least DKC's are still sprites compared to Star Fox's, and aged well or not, DKC's sprites do not look ugly to me. They are fine, regardless of how other games look.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that the Ultimate Newcomer Tournament will be the final Online Tournament of Ultimate, started after every single DLC character has been released.

D

Deleted member

I think that the Ultimate Newcomer Tournament will be the final Online Tournament of Ultimate, started after every single DLC character has been released.
That sounds reasonable, but I can also imagine they do a tourney revolving around Ultimate's base game newcomers before Vol 2 is finished. There is also potential in a DLC only Tourney Event happening after DLC is all wrapped up as well.

But I swear if all the DLC characters have been released and we still haven't gotten that Fire Emblem Tourney Ima just-

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At least DKC's are still sprites compared to Star Fox's, and aged well or not, DKC's sprites do not look ugly to me. They are fine, regardless of how other games look.
I will always maintain the core designs for basically everything in the DKC series still hold up. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see an HD version like this:

However I can still go back to all of them and enjoy the experience; same with Mario RPG really. I guess as someone who's experienced a lot poorly aged graphics from the generation after (N64, Saturn, PSX) its hard for me to look at most 16 bit stuff and conclude it looks all that bad today. Heck even Star Fox's biggest issue is the frame rate more so than the designs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom