• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Okay so I don't speak League of Legends, so could somebody explain this, so that I may get The Joke?
3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus made a good explanation but I'll try to explain as well. Yasuo is a top tier character who if he has his game rolling until the mid game, it's pretty much GG as he becomes unstoppable. The devs pretty much designed him so he can never be a bad character due to his kit, he's extremely strong so as a result he generates a ton of anger and hatred. To further explain:

-his moves have zero resource cost
-he has a passive skill where his critical hits are double that of other characters
-he also has ANOTHER passive skill where he can shield himself from attacks
-he has a dash attack with minimal cooldown and it gets stronger the more he uses it
-he has a wall shield that protects him from ALL projectiles in the game
-he has a ranged attack where he can stun opponents
-a high damaging ult that can combo from his other skills and has a 30 second cooldown when maxed
-oh did I also mention his ult gives him a damage buff as well? :teeth:

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I haven't played League in a long, long time but Yasuo is one of the most hated characters in league. He's really popular (AKA gets a lot of skins), and in my experience one of the most played characters in the game thanks to his fanbase. The problem is that outside of his fanbase, everyone hates him. He gets spammed in a ton of games, and is extremely annoying to actually play against. So you just have to play incredibly safe against him during the start of the match. For that reason he's one of the most banned characters overall, even when he is considered underpowered.

He's good if you're a good player, but most bad Yasuo players just do nothing except die and are useless the entire round which makes it incredibly annoying to have a bad one on your team. If you are playing against a good one however, once he gets ahead he can just 1v5 your entire team making it extremely frustrating to counter him at that point.
The devs pretty much designed him so he can never be a bad character due to his kit, he's extremely strong so as a result he generates a ton of anger and hatred.
This. I think this is the bottom line. I haven't been on the League train since it started, so I could be wrong, but I really don't remember a time when he was outright bad. Sure, you can have a bad one on your team, but if you know what you're doing, he becomes insane to stop.

Oh, something we all seemed to not mention: Yasuo has a lot of flexibility in terms of lanes - which is really rare in League, because Riot wants every Champion to play in a very specific manner. I've seen him top and mid mostly, but I've stumbled upon Yasuo ADC or Yasuo jungle and although these are far less common... they're not fun, let me tell you.

Not to mention his backstory is pretty edgy, making him and his fanbase an easy target for jokes. And the character himself embraces the "edge".

So he's probably a worse Genji from Overwatch.
I mean, his title is "The Unforgiven".

Check this one out. Face the edge wind.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So this is awkward.

This is Balan Wonderworld. It just got announced today, and I already want it in Smash. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, thanks for all the explanations! Gotta say though, I'm somewhat surprised just how many people here actually knew enough about League to explain this, lol. The only thing I really know about the game is it/its fanbase not having the best reputation, that this fox girl (Ahri?) is sorta prominent, and this image.

This. I think this is the bottom line. I haven't been on the League train since it started, so I could be wrong, but I really don't remember a time when he was outright bad. Sure, you can have a bad one on your team, but if you know what you're doing, he becomes insane to stop.

Oh, something we all seemed to not mention: Yasuo has a lot of flexibility in terms of lanes - which is really rare in League, because Riot wants every Champion to play in a very specific manner. I've seen him top and mid mostly, but I've stumbled upon Yasuo ADC or Yasuo jungle and although these are far less common... they're not fun, let me tell you.

I mean, his title is "The Unforgiven".

Check this one out. Face the edge wind.

Hehe, his hair looks like a paint brush.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I’ll rate the sleeper picks by Cool (some discussion but not a lot compared to others, particularly from the same company/series) and Cold (very little discussion if at all). Also I’d put 2B and Dixie Kong in Warm and Ryu Hayabusa & Sora in Hot

Cool: Lip, Elma, Adol/Estelle/Rean, Neku, Sakura Shinguji, Amaterasu, Nightmare, KOS-MOS, Reimu, Monokuma, Euden, Yuri Lowell, Sol Badguy

Cold: Black Shadow, Octoling, Impa, Terra Branford, Ragna, Style Savvy, Sgt. Cortez (heyo Evil Trapezium), Dr. Eggman, League of Legends character, Mecha-Fiora, Lora, Ayumi Tachibana
Sleeper Pick?

Joanna Dark.

Ultimate has given a lot of attention to the relationship between Rare and Nintendo with characters like K Rool and Banjo (both revealed in very Rare like trailers) assist trophies like Krystal and Klaptrap, and the focus on DKC stages over more modern DK stages. Not to mention the Rare spirits that almost made it into the game. I don’t think it is likely, but there is some precedent for it.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Sleeper Pick?

Joanna Dark.

Ultimate has given a lot of attention to the relegation ship between Rare and Nintendo with characters like K Rool and Banjo (both revealed in very Rare like trailers) assist trophies like Krystal and Klaptrap, and the focus on DKC stages over more modern DK stages. Not to mention the Rare spirits that almost made it into the game. I don’t think it is likely, but there is some precedent for it.
Funny you mention her, Apparently a Certain Someone is saying she might be a Mii costume

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
You dont play as balan sadly

Id rather have Nights to be fair
Me too. NiGHTS has pretty much been abandoned by Sega at this point to focus on Sonic games. Sure, he had those Archie comics of his and he appeared in the Sonic and Mega Man: Worlds Unite crossover, but that was the last we heard of him.

Want to know what's worse? Aside from Sonic's appearances in Smash, Sonic Mania and the Mania Plus DLC, Sonic Mania Adventures, the Sonic Boom TV show, and the Neo Metal Sonic arc in the IDW Sonic comics, everything else we've gotten from Sonic ever since Lost World's release was either terrible (Forces) or had good potential that failed to shine through (the Boom games).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So this is awkward.

This is Balan Wonderworld. It just got announced today, and I already want it in Smash. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
You do you, if you like the game, go for it.

Also isn't this the second time Yuji Naka made a spiritual succesor to NiGHTS? Granted, this Balan Lance and that one boss are the only NiGHTS-esque as the rest of the game looks like Billy Hatcher to me

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Also isn't this the second time Yuji Naka made a spiritual succesor to NiGHTS? Granted, this Balan Lance and that one boss are the only NiGHTS-esque as the rest of the game looks like Billy Hatcher to me
wait, it actually is yuji naka doing this? neat

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Me too. NiGHTS has pretty much been abandoned by Sega at this point to focus on Sonic games.
Wow its like all that work SEGA put into Sakura Wars, Yakuza, funding Atlus games and giving them a new studio, localizing, liscening out their old IPs, making entire new expansion for PSO2 doesn't exist to you

SKX31

Smash Master
Knowing how wrong this fandom usually is, I am expecting mostly sleeper picks for the DLC.
To be fair, everyone in FP1 was a real sleeper.

Joker? Check.

Terry? Check.

Byleth? Kinda, the house leaders were more talked about. Check.

Hero? Snooze.

Banjo-Kazooie?

I'll see myself out.

Yeah, trailer has him stated as the director.

Side note, what a good week for old Sega fans, this and Bomb Rush Cyberpunk seem like things we'd get from Sega 15 years ago
Damn, it's good to see him still actively developing.

That game certainly looked like NiGHTS in style; but going in a different, more platform / transformation-centric direction with it is probably a good call.

Also, a bit surprised to see Xbox exclusivity (for now), but it's a good thing for Microsoft. Considering the imminent launches of PS5 and XSX, both companies will want as many games on the platforms as possible.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

The gameplay looks nothing likes NiGHTS

its more of a spiritual successor to late 90s Sonic Team if anything.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So this is awkward.

Interesting. Man, another platfomer by Yuji Naka. Granted, how many platformers has Square-Enix made?

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Me too. NiGHTS has pretty much been abandoned by Sega at this point to focus on Sonic games.
I love how "focusing" on Sonic games entails a single racing spin-off since the last main game and add-on content for Mania and mobile stuff all the while Yakuza has had 10 full releases since 2017 with recent titles including an English dub.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Didn’t this dude say something about Ori as well?
That was a different dude. That dude was said to be related to the Cat leak (leak that predicted both DQ Heroes and Banjo plus their Codenames) and talked to Papagenos. This dude talking to Fatman is Mii Costume guy

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
>Fatman

. . .Wait, is that hyperbole or legit? The ten games thing, I mean.
Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza 3 remaster, Yakuza 4 remaster, Yakuza 5 remaster, Yakuza 6, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Judgement and Fist of the North Star

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I love how "focusing" on Sonic games entails a single racing spin-off since the last main game and add-on content for Mania and mobile stuff all the while Yakuza has had 10 full releases since 2017 with recent titles including an English dub.
i know this doesn't really have to do but i just wanna say i very much appreciate that pfp
NiGHTS, the F-Zero of Sega.
sega has like 30 f-zeroes

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm having a bit of a hard time picturing Joanna Dark, 2B and Ms. Pac-Man as mii costumes, especially Ms. Pac-Man out of all of them. Might just be me though, I'm not sure.
Yeah I can't see Mrs.Pac-Man, unless she's a DLC Costume for PAc-Man (and if they even do Alt Costumes for Non-Mii characters). But I Don't know, I can believe Mii Costume guy cause he did get stuff right, but I'll take it with Grain of salt

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Wow its like all that work SEGA put into Sakura Wars, Yakuza, funding Atlus games and giving them a new studio, localizing, liscening out their old IPs, making entire new expansion for PSO2 doesn't exist to you
Hey, I wasn't talking about all of those other games and Atlus, because I know they exist (I'm hyped to get the SMT3 remaster for crying out loud!). I was talking about NiGHTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom