• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I love your paranoia and XB2 induced fuming making you see implications that aren't even there in the first place. You know what is actually there? People like you repeating "Why should Rex get in when it's so oh-so-much worse than the first game" on an endless loop as soon as someone dares suggest the possibility. And people trying their best to start fanbase wars (like you are doing in this very post!).

Also please, don't pretend you are some sort of staunch XBX supporter when according to your own logic Elma won't happen either and you just said a couple of pages ago that it's a game you wouldn't recommend.

I voted for Elma as one of my wanted characters in that sourcegaming poll fyi.
Bold if you to say exactly this
Why can Xenoblade have only 1 character? Where does this "Only the best game* in the series needs to have representation" rule come from and why does it only apply to Xenoblade?
You were specifically talking about people who don't want Rex and yet only 1 is brought up, which implies that X doesn't exist.

"According to your logic Elma won't happen either" yeah I don't think she's got a chance at all and it's a damn shame cause I did like her in X, not to mention we all have these things called unlikely favourites. My most wanted characters are Miriam and Shanoa, you think I believe they have any chances at all?

Also let's look back at that post you linked about me criticizing X
I mostly enjoyed it
Today I learned mostly enjoying a game means you absolutely despise it. X is a game that I enjoyed but recognize that there's a lot of issues which can be offputting, almost like it's very much possible to criticize things you like. Also, that post was in response to why X seemingly didn't get as much discussion as the other games and while everyone else brought up the Wii U, I figured that the issues the game has weren't issues only I could see. I just don't believe anything is above criticism and I'll gladly tear the original game which I loved a new one because I love it despite those issues

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
There's a few games it could work well for Pokemon, Sonic, Soul Calibur, Final Fantasy, Overwatch (lol)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I really don't think another guessing game is happening again. ARMS was a special case because it has a big cast with no actual protagonist. Everyone is the main character, according to the game's director anyway.

Also wow, was the guessing game really that bad? I wasn't around here when it happened but the way you all describe it sounds dreadful.

I figured the choice would be between Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, or Min Min; the former two because they were in the box art and the most promoted characters overall and the latter because she was really popular with both fans and the dev team.
It's mostly that the guessing game was preceded by a lack of any new info and dragged on for three months, followed by another deficit. If it were only a month, I'd imagine it would be much better received.

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I honestly find it kinda fascinating how the implementation of a guessing game splits the community into various support factions. Some Kid Cobra fanatics here, Twintelle supporters there, etc. To think, since it happened to a sizable degree with ARMS, can you imagine the tribalistic chaos that a guessing game based on a older, larger franchise could bring? I'm telling you, something like a League of Legends Smash guess-who would be the catalyst for a full-on geopolitical conflict.

Last edited:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
I honestly find it kinda fascinating how the implementation of a guessing game splits the community into various support factions. Some Kid Cobra fanatics here, Twintelle supporters there, etc. To think, it since it happened to a sizable degree with ARMS, can you imagine the tribalistic chaos that a guessing game based on a older, larger franchise could bring? I'm telling you, something like a League of Legends Smash guess-who would be the catalyst for a full-on geopolitical conflict.
I'm starting to imagine what would have happened if instead of Byleth Nintendo decided to make a guessing game out of the Three Houses lords. The tribalist in the 3H fanbase is bad enough as it is, it would have been a disaster.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
You were specifically talking about people who don't want Rex and yet only 1 is brought up, which implies that X doesn't exist.
Damn. Almost like... almost like there is currently only 1 playable Xenoblade character in Smash. That 1 character being from Xenoblade 1. And how my post was about how you don't have any other series with people constantly, CONSTANTLY trying to start **** whenever a second character from the same series is brought up (that character USUALLY being Rex due to being perceived as likely). No other game gets this kind of bull**** treatment. If said I wanted Demifiend or SMTV protagonist in Smash I wouldn't get a pile of posters with an axe to grind spamming "WHY WOULD YOU WANT SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI WHEN THE SUPERIOR PERSONA IS ALREADY IN SMASH". But of course you jumped at the chance to somehow turn this into fanbase war attempt #32344, you super duper huge XBX fan who conveniently only remembers the game exists when it's time to bash XB2, thus proving my original point right.

Leaving the conversation here because I don't want to get banned.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Damn. Almost like... almost like there is currently only 1 playable Xenoblade character in Smash. That 1 character being from Xenoblade 1. And how my post was about how you don't have any other series with people constantly, CONSTANTLY trying to start **** whenever a second character from the same series is brought up (that character USUALLY being Rex due to being perceived as likely). No other game gets this kind of bull**** treatment. If said I wanted Demifiend or SMTV protagonist in Smash I wouldn't get a pile of posters with an axe to grind spamming "WHY WOULD YOU WANT SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI WHEN THE SUPERIOR PERSONA IS ALREADY IN SMASH". But of course you jumped at the chance to somehow turn this into fanbase war attempt #32344, you super duper huge XBX fan who conveniently only remembers the game exists when it's time to bash XB2, thus proving my original point right.

Leaving the conversation here because I don't want to get banned.
Again how the actual **** is a post claiming people who don't want Rex only wanting a character from the first game not supposed to be seen as "X? Never heard of it"

Also instead of claiming I'm just conviniently a fan, heavily suggesting I never cared about X until 2 came out with this typical fake gamer girl bull****, have you EVER considered the possibilty I and many others haven't talked about X much because it simply never came up? At least, when compared to Rex who people talk about constantly? In fact, I have a decent amount of posts dating from all the way back in 2015 (Because you know, that's when X came out) talking about the game and expressing interest in Elma for Smash, including many posts in this very thread. I can just as easily spin this on you as only pretending to like X because you genuinely forgot it existed and I'd have as much evidence on it as you have on me pretending to like X

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
My money's on FP7 being a sleeper pick that most in the fandom wouldn't expect. Almost all of the DLC was characters who weren't talked about much in speculation circles.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My money's on FP7 being a sleeper pick that most in the fandom wouldn't expect. Almost all of the DLC was characters who weren't talked about much in speculation circles.
What I'm interested in is if it's the E3 character, or if they pushed it back in advance when E3 was canceled. If it is the E3 reveal, it would probably be either an influential character like Crash or Doomguy or a fan-favorite like Isaac or Geno. I doubt it would be a niche character like, say, Reimu, even if they are from a popular series.

I'm personally going for the E3 big rep, be it big in impact or big in popularity... Which still leaves us with a lot of options anyways.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pretty much

Joker: not expected in the slightest, not even leaked
Hero: technically leaked, but several people insisted Brave had to point to something else as DQ wasn’t as big in the West as in Japan (despite you know it having a LEGACY) I admit I was guilty of that
Banjo: ok HE was pretty talked about, though not as much as Steve, Doomguy or Hayabusa
Terry: barring the SNK copyright leak I don’t think anyone saw him coming
Byleth: ... do I even need to say anything here?
Min Min: “b-but protag/poster boy first!” Poster boy being Spring Man who’s an AT. That or ppl insisted it had to be someone who wasn’t a Spirit

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I honestly find it kinda fascinating how the implementation of a guessing game splits the community into various support factions. Some Kid Cobra fanatics here, Twintelle supporters there, etc. To think, since it happened to a sizable degree with ARMS, can you imagine the tribalistic chaos that a guessing game based on a older, larger franchise could bring? I'm telling you, something like a League of Legends Smash guess-who would be the catalyst for a full-on geopolitical conflict.
look guys, all I'm saying is I welcome our

Teemo_0.jpg

little, gopher scout(?) overlord

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Pretty much

Hero: technically leaked, but several people insisted Brave had to point to something else as DQ wasn’t as big in the West as in Japan (despite you know it having a LEGACY) I admit I was guilty of that
Banjo: ok HE was pretty talked about, though not as much as Steve, Doomguy or Hayabusa
Min Min: “b-but protag/poster boy first!” Poster boy being Spring Man who’s an AT. That or ppl insisted it had to be someone who wasn’t a Spirit
To be fair, Hero (Or Erdrick and Luminary, at least) were probably discussed a lot in Japan. If we got someone like Reimu or Sakura, the surprise would definitely be more on the Western side; Japanese fans would probably say something like "Ha, I knew it!" The reverse would be true with a more West-appeal character, like Doomguy or Master Chief.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
i think both 7 and 8 are going to be the big boys and after that it's going to be sleeper picks and only moderately-requested characters

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pretty much

Eh, I'd say Min Min was talked about at least as much as Spring Man.
People also used to predict Banjo for literally every reveal.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, especially considering that League of Legends has 10 times the amount of characters as ARMS, and about as much as Pokemon Red and Blue.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If a League of Legends guessing game ever happens I propose a peace treaty for all groups to gang up together and say NO to Yasuo.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Basically, from what I can get out of this thread's LoL discussion, Teemo's the guy everyone hates ironically and Yasuo's the guy everyone hate unironically. Therefore, Yasuo is the worst-case scenario.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Do you guys predict that Fighter Pass 2 will be Superior to Fighter Pass 1, or vice Versa?
So far Fighter Pass 2 and Fighter Pass 1 is about the same for me where they are both not too bad but not excellent neither. But FP2 might surpass depending on who the remaining fighters are.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Eh, I could see Pokemon getting a guessing game attached to it. From my perspective, there doesn't seem to be a pick from gen VIII that's universally wanted by the fandom like I saw with Decidueye. I don't see as many people latching onto Rillaboom to fulfill a non-existent quota than I saw with Decidueye. I've see Cinderace's name thrown around, but I don't know if it's more people wanting it or expecting it. I've seen annoyance for it being another fire starter. It's just a bunch of names thrown around with no clear favorite in sight.

Dread too, but dread for a gen 8 Pokemon in general. Odd to say that in any other period but Sword and Shield sure did a number on the fandom. I'm just keeping an open mind on Pokemon. I ain't jumping to the conclusion the rest of Fighter's Pass after Min Min is gonna be another all third-party sausage fest. Not with Pokemon putting on the Infinity Gauntlet and prepping to snap its fingers.
Inevitable.png

Street Fighter could work too for a guessing game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Eh, I could see Pokemon getting a guessing game attached to it. From my perspective, there doesn't seem to be a pick from gen VIII that's universally wanted by the fandom like I saw with Decidueye. I don't see as many people latching onto Rillaboom to fulfill a non-existent quota than I saw with Decidueye. I've see Cinderace's name thrown around, but I don't know if it's more people wanting it or expecting it. I've seen annoyance for it being another fire starter. It's just a bunch of names thrown around with no clear favorite in sight.

Dread too, but dread for a gen 8 Pokemon in general. Odd to say that in any other period but Sword and Shield sure did a number on the fandom. I'm just keeping an open mind on Pokemon. I ain't jumping to the conclusion the rest of Fighter's Pass after Min Min is gonna be another all third-party sausage fest. Not with Pokemon putting on the Infinity Gauntlet and prepping to snap its fingers.
View attachment 279855

Actually, that series title should read Monkey. Just sayin'.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Imagine a Pokemon guess who. Not a Gen 8 guess who, but a whole-series guess who, with 885 Pokemon (+ forms) on the table. It'd be a mess, even ignoring the sizable portion of the fanbase who would loathe another Pokemon.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I could see them doing the guessing game shtick again if it's a fighting game, but I don't think Street Fighter would work. If you plastered the original eight world warriors on the screen and told the audience to guess who's coming to Smash, I guarantee at least 95% of the responses will be "It's Chun-Li".

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

View attachment 279855

Rillaboom: I am inevitable.

The Pokemon Company: And I...don't care about Smash fan quotas.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm late but by Alvis I saw Xenoblade discussion so I have to come out of lurking to shove my opinion where people can not care about it.

Xenoblade 1 is a mastahpiece, truly no other RPG can hope to stand up to its action packed gameplay and engaging story. 7.5/10 too much water.

2 is good, not great, good. Nothing about it really stands out as amazing but the only really awful thing is the gacha mechanics. 10/5 not enough water.

X is an awful, barren wasteland, music makes my ears bleed, broken plot progression that made it so I literally couldn't finish it. 0/0 just enough water.

I haven't played Torna/10

This franchise is garbage, go buy Definitive Edition and play it now.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay so I don't speak League of Legends, so could somebody explain this, so that I may get The Joke?
He's OP as **** and people hate him

The only acceptable guessing game for me is "This character will be coming from Capcom!" Sure, we'd have the typical Hunter, Nick, Ammy and Dante stuff, but due to the guessing game nature, we'd probably end up talking about all kinds of Capcom characters, even those not included in MvC like idk, Gene, Power Stone dude, the girl from Remember Me, etc

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay so I don't speak League of Legends, so could somebody explain this, so that I may get The Joke?
Tl;dr when Yasuo’s on your team he usually sucks ass but when he’s on the enemy team...

Omae wa mou shindeiru.

SKX31

Smash Master
They could also do a guessing game by company rather than by franchise.
That would be incredibly unwise IMHO. Especially if we presume that Nintendo did the ARMS guessing game to get more people talking about / playing ARMS. Because a company-wide guessing game would risk dilluting discussion (and thus playtime) between the company's properties.

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus did a pretty good rundown on why those who speak League hate Yasuo here.

He fits the mold of "Top tier that people hates" and snowballing is an often strong factor in MOBAs. Especially in pub games, where RQs happen. Whether ranked or unranked.

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Look Idc what xenoblade game is the best a what is not all I want is Rex in smash as part of the pass because this is really his Chance to get in right about now

View attachment 279855

And I...am...urshifu *snaps back*

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If a League of Legends guessing game ever happens I propose a peace treaty for all groups to gang up together and say NO to Yasuo.
Basically, from what I can get out of this thread's LoL discussion, Teemo's the guy everyone hates ironically and Yasuo's the guy everyone hate unironically. Therefore, Yasuo is the worst-case scenario.
You know what the strangest part is? Even if Yasuo was added to Smash and was dog**** tier, he'd still garner hate from the League fanbase on the sole basis of the experiences people had with him in his game of origin and the fact that it "could have been another Champion", lol.

...Then again, they could always make him level up and scale the more stocks he takes. :troll:

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I haven't played League in a long, long time but Yasuo is one of the most hated characters in league. He's really popular (AKA gets a lot of skins), and in my experience one of the most played characters in the game thanks to his fanbase. The problem is that outside of his fanbase, everyone hates him. He gets spammed in a ton of games, and is extremely annoying to actually play against. So you just have to play incredibly safe against him during the start of the match. For that reason he's one of the most banned characters overall, even when he is considered underpowered.

He's good if you're a good player, but most bad Yasuo players just do nothing except die and are useless the entire round which makes it incredibly annoying to have a bad one on your team. If you are playing against a good one however, once he gets ahead he can just 1v5 your entire team making it extremely frustrating to counter him at that point.

Not to mention his backstory is pretty edgy, making him and his fanbase an easy target for jokes. And the character himself embraces the "edge".

So he's probably a worse Genji from Overwatch.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Imagine a guessing game regarding Indie characters.

Also Final Fantasy.
"The next Smash character will be... from a Toby Fox game!"

... would that even work? Other than maybe three or four characters I know little about, I've no idea which characters from Undertale and Deltarune would even work as a playable Smash character.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I haven't played League in a long, long time but Yasuo is one of the most hated characters in league. He's really popular (AKA gets a lot of skins), and in my experience one of the most played characters in the game thanks to his fanbase. The problem is that outside of his fanbase, everyone hates him. He gets spammed in a ton of games, and is extremely annoying to actually play against. So you just have to play incredibly safe against him during the start of the match. For that reason he's one of the most banned characters overall, even when he is considered underpowered.

He's good if you're a good player, but most bad Yasuo players just do nothing except die and are useless the entire round which makes it incredibly annoying to have a bad one on your team. If you are playing against a good one however, once he gets ahead he can just 1v5 your entire team making it extremely frustrating to counter him at that point.

Not to mention his backstory is pretty edgy, making him and his fanbase an easy target for jokes. And the character himself embraces the "edge".

So he's probably a worse Genji from Overwatch.
I'm not in the Yasuo fanbase, and I haven't seen a lot of players use him either. Then again, just like you, I haven't played League in a while, and that's probably for the best, because that means I don't have to deal with Annie anymore.

Also, Yasuo was actually BANNED from League at one point!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Imagine a guessing game regarding Indie characters.

Also Final Fantasy.
Honestly? That would be one of the worst things that could possibly happen to Smash. Unlike, say, the competition between 2B, Neku, Geno, and the like, indies aren't owned by one company. If a guessing game was sprung, that means Nintendo would have gotten the rights to the characters for the sole purpose of dangling the possibility of their inclusion over our heads, only for it to be ripped away. That would just be the cruelest thing imaginable, and even if I got my most wanted (Reimu) out of it, I'd still be really jilted over how poorly everyone else was treated. That transcends simple Spirit/Mii deconfirmations and becomes a full-on middle finger. Please, no.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
"The next Smash character will be... from a Toby Fox game!"

... would that even work? Other than maybe three or four characters I know little about, I've no idea which characters from Undertale and Deltarune would even work as a playable Smash character.
Plot twist: The character then would be from his Earthbound Halloween hack. :4pacman:
That way we'd probably also get the oldest version of Megalovania known to man!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Honestly? That would be one of the worst things that could possibly happen to Smash. Unlike, say, the competition between 2B, Neku, Geno, and the like, indies aren't owned by one company. If a guessing game was sprung, that means Nintendo would have gotten the rights to the characters for the sole purpose of dangling the possibility of their inclusion over our heads, only for it to be ripped away. That would just be the cruelest thing imaginable, and even if I got my most wanted (Reimu) out of it, I'd still be really jilted over how poorly everyone else was treated. That transcends simple Spirit/Mii deconfirmations and becomes a full-on middle finger. Please, no.
I don't think Nintendo needs to get the rights to multiple indie games just to say "yo the next character is from an indie game".

Still, a guessing game like that would be an all-out war, indie game fandoms are extremely dedicated. The worst part is I could see Nintendo doing that because Smash getting its first indie character is kind of a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom