• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
God

Yasuo

As someone who played League a long-ass time, there is no champion I despise more than Yasuo.

When he's on the opponent's team, he's going to ****stomp you into dirt.

When he's on your team, he may as well not even exist.
Real talk, I think even Teemo garners less hate from the LoL fandom.

Because while Teemo has a Lane Bully playstyle and pretty much has "annoyance" as middle name, he doesn't scale that crazily and is usually around mid tier in top lane, at his best.

In other words, A: he's OP as heck in a stressful environment and B: He's a wind samurai that isn't Samuel "Jetstream Sam" from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, therefore he is worthless.
Eh, "OP" really isn't the more accurate term, it's just really stressful to deal with him once he starts scaling.

... and in some ways, I'd argue he basically is League's Jetstream Sam.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The only reason people think Zip Lash is worse is because nobody played either game.
Finally someone said it.

Zip Lash wasn't an awful game, it was a bland and generally not-very-fun game. But ha ha funny Scott the Woz meme xD I guess. I have played far worse games than Zip Lash - hell, I've played far worse platformers than Zip Lash. Of course that means I've also played far better games than Zip Lash.

Of course this doesn't make Zip Lash worth playing as it is aggressively mediocre, but at least it had little Chibi-Robo sound effects and was Okay. Kirby Planet Robobot releasing around the same time and being one of the best 2D platformers ever did it no favors as well.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Finally someone said it.

Zip Lash wasn't an awful game, it was a bland and generally not-very-fun game. But ha ha funny Scott the Woz meme xD I guess. I have played far worse games than Zip Lash - hell, I've played far worse platformers than Zip Lash. Of course that means I've also played far better games than Zip Lash.

Of course this doesn't make Zip Lash worth playing as it is aggressively mediocre, but at least it had little Chibi-Robo sound effects and was Okay. Kirby Planet Robobot releasing around the same time and being one of the best 2D platformers ever did it no favors as well.
Do you agree that Photo Finder was an absolute dumpster fire?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
On the Xenoblade discussion

Xenoblade Chronicles X > Xenoblade Chronicles > Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Not that I didn't enjoy XC2 or thought it was a bad game but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the other two. XCX is literally one of my favourite games ever made with it's amazing open-world, in-depth sidequests, and gameplay and XC's story is something that almost no game can match honestly. So it has quite some competition within it's own series. But as a stand alone game XC2 it's still a good game.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I never played XCX. I really want to though because I hear nothing but good things about it.

XC2 was the first Xenoblade game I played. So that probably has something to do with it, but I prefer it to XC1.

I only recently played XC1 when the DE came out a few months ago. I loved it. I get why people prefer it. It does have a better story IMO and I think overall the characters are better. Shulk is a better developed character than Rex.

With all that said I still like XC2 more. I just find the world more interesting, I like the villains more, and I think I just prefer the gameplay. I really like the Blade system and the stuff you can do with it. It’s awesome when you put together combos. Blade themselves are a lot of fun especially since they all have their own personalities. The randomness to get them sucks though....

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I like the villains more,
You know that's something I didn't think of before.

I don't like any of XCX villains. The only XC1 villain I love is Metal Face (and I love him a lot, wish he did more).

But XC2 has Jin, Malos, and other more spoilerly villains and I like them a great deal.

So yeah, I'd agree XC2 wins here.

SKX31

Smash Master
I love how Min min just came out and everyone when from caring to caring more about the next character so fast
Kinda think it's due to several factors:

A) The ARMS guessing game went on for ca. 3 months, and by the time she came out people had talked about her and the other ARMS characters for a while.

B) She has seen next-to-no competitive play (that isn't online) due to the pandemic, and competitive peoples' opinions on her vary quite a lot. Contrast this with Joker and Hero who were in the competitive spotlight for weeks / months after release. EDIT: For different reasons, sure, but point still stands.

C) While ARMS isn't considered a "shill pick" Min Min was also partly promotional, and the promotion part of the inclusion (free play period for ARMS and the North American Online Open for ARMS) happened back in March - Min Min's release wasn't accompanied by additional promotional stuff IIRC.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
You know that's something I didn't think of before.

I don't like any of XCX villains. The only XC1 villain I love is Metal Face (and I love him a lot, wish he did more).

But XC2 has Jin, Malos, and other more spoilerly villains and I like them a great deal.

So yeah, I'd agree XC2 wins here.
I think Egil was also a pretty good villain, but every other villain was pretty mediocre honestly.

D

Deleted member

I love how Min min just came out and everyone when from caring to caring more about the next character so fast
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, she not only felt a little underwhelming and one-dimensional to play, but ARMs really seemed like it should have had a rep in the game to begin with. So its cool she's in and her design is awesome, but I'm looking to the next because it barely feels like an addition. More like a 'oops, sorry; should have been here to start, here you go' addition; like a patch fix lol.

The same can be said of Rex & Pyra, it seems like they really should have been able to make the cut off, but if they were to be added, I have a feeling people would take to them a lot better than Min Min. Min Min just seems kinda...I dunno....okay? She's just there and thats it lol. Not a terrible character, not great. She exists.

People want a new character with gusto.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Kinda think it's due to several factors:

A) The ARMS guessing game went on for ca. 3 months, and by the time she came out people had talked about her and the other ARMS characters for a while.

B) She has seen next-to-no competitive play (that isn't online) due to the pandemic, and competitive peoples' opinions on her vary quite a lot. Contrast this with Joker and Hero who were in the competitive spotlight for weeks / months after release. EDIT: For different reasons, sure, but point still stands.

C) While ARMS isn't considered a "shill pick" Min Min was also partly promotional, and the promotion part of the inclusion (free play period for ARMS and the North American Online Open for ARMS) happened back in March - Min Min's release wasn't accompanied by additional promotional stuff IIRC.
To be honest, I feel like it might be partially because people were expecting something like Joker's TGA reveal to open the Pass.

I think if she had been a surprise reveal of some sort (without the ARMS guessing game), there's a chance she would have generated excitement for more time, both due to her popularity in the ARMS fandom and being one of the few same-game promotions to playable to ever happen in Smash (the others being Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash 4).

On a more personal note, Min Min is in my top 3 for DLC right now, officially overtaking Terry. She's really cheap interesting and I like her degenerate unique playstyle a lot.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The initial time between the ARMS reveal and the proper character showcase sucked up much of the relevant conversation, so that's a factor. Moreover, Min Min felt like she fell into the middle ground of not being quite beloved/interesting enough by most to be deeply examined/explored, yet in no way hated enough by any real number to bring about endless complaints (and complaints about those complaints) afterwards.

She's the cheese pizza of Smash Bros; many aren't mega excited, but most don't really object either.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The three month guessing game really sucked the wind out of our sails.

Just look at how many of us don't want that again. The final reveal wasn't all that grand because we just wanted an answer at that point.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I prefer the first Xenoblade game, but XC2 has strong points that the first one doesn't. Also, while no game in the existence is perfect, Xenoblade Chronicles isn't precisely a game with few flaws or aspects that could be potentially better. For example, the combat. While it isn't bad at all, XC2/Torna Golden Country's combat feels a lot more engaging and interesting than the first game.

Then you have people constantly pointing out XC2's tropes, which are certainly there, but it's not like XC1 is free of them. First of all, tropes aren't a bad thing per se. It depends in how you execute these tropes. But if people attacks Xenoblade 2 for having more notorious tropes, I think they should be coherent with themselves and do the same with the first game.

I mean I'm usually not a big fan of super anime tropes and XC2 had a few moments of these that I didn't enjoyed, but it weren't that bad or that big to make me dislike the game, you know? Because characters were still cool, music was great, story was engaging most of the time, and the combat was great. Yeah, the game has some flaws or things that could be improved, I completely agree with that. But Xenoblade 2 being a mediocre game? Sorry, but I just think that's just wrong.
Also unpopular opinion I guess, but I have still to find a character in the first Xenoblade as memorable or interesting as Nia, Lora, Jin or Malos. I could even include Zeke or Mòrag there as well.

Considering that Fighter Pass 2's bonus is a boring Ancient Armor costume they probably acknowledge that putting a super desired newcomer in as a DLC-only costume was not a nice thing to do. The Rex costume should've been base-game.

That said, I don't think just because XB2 and Arms are both games that missed the base roster that they have equal reason to get in now. ARMS compared to XB2
-is an entirely new IP rather than a sequel
-sold more copies in a more niche genre
-is the original IP brainchild of someone responsible for many of Nintendo's best hits (Yabuki directed Mario Kart 8, which is still selling millions)

As a favor to Yabuki, as promotion of something totally new that did very well ARMS is very justified in a fighter pack. The inclusion of Shulk in Smash -at all- did huge things for Monolith Soft in a very similar way - except it did all this before Xenoblade reached even a fraction of the height ARMS did.
Yeah. While Rex chances have certainly increased in our eyes, I don't see him as a lock or anything. Despite that, he's one of the most likely first parties out there, or at least that's what I feel. But ARMS getting a character doesn't mean Rex will get in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The initial time between the ARMS reveal and the proper character showcase sucked up much of the relevant conversation, so that's a factor. Moreover, Min Min felt like she fell into the middle ground of not being quite beloved/interesting enough by most to be deeply examined/explored, yet in no way hated enough by any real number to bring about endless complaints (and complaints about those complaints) afterwards.

She's the cheese pizza of Smash Bros; many aren't mega excited, but most don't really object either.
That's a pretty good way of putting it.

Cheese Pizza is a bit bland but I don't hate it; I would have preferred some toppings/more interesting pizza, but I'll have some of it.

Min Min's pretty predictable making her a little bland, but I don't hate her. I would have preferred a more interesting character/different gimmick, but I'll play her a bit.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
What begins with double you and ends with you and has two eyes in the middle?
took me 5 minutes to understand this

Anyways, I have a question for you guys.
If you genuinely had info on Nintendo, would you leak it? I personally wouldn’t after seeing what happened to Kelios.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because Cadence of Hyrule isn't my type of game

And while I understand that Impa is a most wanted around here...

"Something happened in game =/= could this be related to Smash???!"
Well it was kind of a joke. I never got the game either, will probably get it now cause of Impa. I think it's just cool how she rocks the naginata, with the Skyward Sword design. That's all I ever wanted. So if I'll have to play Cadence of Hyrule for it, I'm down.

osby

Smash Obsessed

If you genuinely had info on Nintendo, would you leak it? I personally wouldn’t after seeing what happened to Kelios.
Maybe only to a few people I'm close to and that's a big maybe.

Honestly, Nintendo/Smash fans are pretty terrifying when it comes new info so you can't pay me enough to make myself the center of the attention in that regard. What happened to Kelios was genuinely unnerving, whether you think he had it coming or not.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

I wouldn't, and not because of the push back.

Leaks, whether right or wrong really **** with people's expectations. That and it can spoil what was meant to be a surprise going into these announcements. Which can greatly affect tge reception of the product being revealed as well as affect how well it can do on the market.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Personally, I most likely wouldn't... though in cases like right now where Nintendo has given us sweet ****-all in terms of big announcements, I'd be sorely tempted to do so.

7NATOR

Smash Master

It Depends. I Don't care about the hate, but I don't just want to spoil characters. I Probably would just deconfirm characters maybe. maybe leave hints. If people are hating, I'll just drink Haterade

I.D.

Smash Lord
Why do anti-Rex people always, without fail, try to drag the conversation into "let Xenoblade fans fight among each other"? Why can Xenoblade have only 1 character? Where does this "Only the best game* in the series needs to have representation" rule come from and why does it only apply to Xenoblade?

*Needless to say, the best game is the one I prefer.

D

Deleted member

I can tell you with 100% certainty that if I knew anything significant I would do nothing but tease people; essentially playing a game of hot & cold before disappearing for a few days so people begin to wonder if I was trolling or not. Then I'd appear the day before intended info drop and give a large clue. Of course, to make sure people knew I was legitimate, I would tell 1 Mod in the beginning who would be held to absolute secrecy so that there would be undeniable proof that I actually did know the Info the entire time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

no. and not because im scared of hate or anything, but the risk of losing one's job is what scares me more

ive been constantly unemployed and laid off a lot and i know the sturggle of trying to make ends meet

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yeah, I sincerely hope we never do a guessing game ever again. It added unneeded baggage to the reveal. Like, if I'm being completely honest, I think I would've preferred they waited until they had something to show.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Eh, sure why not? What's the worst that could happen?

In fact, here's a leak! Spongebob for Smash Bros!

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Why do anti-Rex people always, without fail, try to drag the conversation into "let Xenoblade fans fight among each other"? Why can Xenoblade have only 1 character? Where does this "Only the best game* in the series needs to have representation" rule come from and why does it only apply to Xenoblade?

Because in a perfect world we would get both Rex AND Elma. Giving Xenoblade a nice three reps in Smash that could please all Xenoblade fans.

But this ain't no perfect world, and we may not get either one.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i think COVID-19 had a delay on Min Min's trailer in March which is why they played the guessing game with a "wait till June lul"

hopefully enough work has been done on FP7 at this point that a guessing game will be unnecessary. MAYBE FP8 too

MooMew64

i think COVID-19 had a delay on Min Min's trailer in March which is why they played the guessing game with a "wait till June lul"

hopefully enough work has been done on FP7 at this point that a guessing game will be unnecessary. MAYBE FP8 too
TBH I think the guessing game was always the plan: It was most likely a marketing stunt for ARMS, as it was positioned right next to an ARMS free trial period.

It was also probably an attempt to keep longterm interest in the fighter, as unfortunately ARMS wasn't ever gonna be viewed as a "hype" pick by a lot of people. And hey, to their credit, it did keep us talking, even if it was out of frustration, lol.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
From a person who played it, Chibi-Robo Zip Lash isn't a Ride to Hell or Sonic Boom level disaster but that doesn't make it fun. It's slow, awkward and there's a million better 2D platformers on the 3DS.

It was an age where Nintendo was more obsesed with a game's gimmick over whether it was actually fun to control. See also, Air Conditioning: amiibo Sales Device, Star Fox 64 3 and Paper Mario Color Splash's stupid card battle system.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I didn't mind the guessing game, as at least it gave us something to go on for who was coming next, but it probably did shorten the hype cycle for Min Min.
Also as others have said, she's neither a crazy, unobtainable pick nor a controversial choice, so unless you were a big fan of hers already your emotions probably faded fairly quickly.

Personally, I like the music and stage more than Min Min herself, but she's interesting and fun enough to play as (especially in chaotic free-for-alls).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I love the unironic absolute dismissal of X's existence as if 2's the only one worth a damn

MooMew64

Star Fox 64 3
Man, I ain't even a SF fan and this makes me sad. That series has had a bumpy road ever since 64; I wonder why they just can't seem to make a solid new game? They seem like they really don't know what to do with it...

Anyways, what are y'all feelin' for FP7 at this point? I'm thinking September in a standalone Sakurai Presents.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Man, I ain't even a SF fan and this makes me sad. That series has had a bumpy road ever since 64; I wonder why they just can't seem to make a solid new game? They seem like they really don't know what to do with it...

Anyways, what are y'all feelin' for FP7 at this point? I'm thinking September in a standalone Sakurai Presents.
Of the other games, Star Fox Assault had a great multiplayer and I'd very much like to see what the timeline where Rare had enough time to finish Adventures looks like. Command, the story is such a put-off for me. Like Comic writer smashing the series over the head with a mallet labeled DRAMA off-putting.

I'm thinking late August personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom