• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
here is little fun thing
these are the year origin of characters we dont have in smash yet
1970s
if you had to add characters from these years who would you want it to be?
Real old post but somebody just replied to it and now I want to do it too
Pong
Donkey Kong Jr
Paper Mario (snake is already in)
Viewtiful Joe
Yu Narukami
I want Chell, but she was in Portal before Portal 2. So I guess Atlas/P-Body will have to do.
Shovel Knight
A character from D:BH would be cool/strange, but I’d prefer an Octopath Traveler rep.
Itsuki Aoi

7NATOR

Smash Master
Or maybe the curtains are just blue because they're blue. I'd adore Alucard but he doesn't have a mii costume because he's secretly getting added. The only time a brand new mii costume got in that wasn't from a new franchise was first party franchises, probably because they want to get more franchises in the game when dealing with third parties to expand the crossover
There was the Rabbids this game. They are only Mii hats, but my point still stands, considering we had Rabbids Spirits base game. And also Personally i don't think Alucard will be playable, but maybe his Costume will come in a pack for another character im thinking of

Maybe Sakurai just doesn't want to make a Mii costume for some of the assist trophies.

It's not that deep.
But Maybe he does? and with the Squid sisters being added, it could add to the theory

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There was the Rabbids this game. They are only Mii hats, but my point still stands, considering we had Rabbids Spirits base game. And also Personally i don't think Alucard will be playable, but maybe his Costume will come in a pack for another character im thinking of

But Maybe he does? and with the Squid sisters being added, it could add to the theory
The rabbids are the one exception then.

If you have to make exceptions constantly, your theory is garbage

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

I mean, they could get added. But just because they aren’t in the game doesn’t mean they’re automatically locked as Miis/characters. You’ve proved why they could happen, but you need to prove why they will. Which is impossible, since we have no idea about what goes through Sakurai’s head when he decides the Miis.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The rabbids are the one exception then.

If you have to make exceptions constantly, your theory is garbage
But how do we know Rabbids are just an exception. It's like saying after Banjo's Presentation that Sans is an exception to the rule for Premium Costumes, before we got Cuphead with Byleth

I mean, they could get added. But just because they aren’t in the game doesn’t mean they’re automatically locked as Miis/characters. You’ve proved why they could happen, but you need to prove why they will. Which is impossible, since we have no idea about what goes through Sakurai’s head when he decides the Miis.
You're right. We don't know for sure. the best i could do is just do some theorizing, but I can't prove that they will make them costumes, as I don't have any sources or anything.

I do say that Shovel Knight as a mii costume would especially be nice. He fits perfectly if they don't make him playable, but that's just an opinion, not a fact he will be one

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I like
Appletun
and
we would finally get a fully evolved Grass mon in the roster.
The only thing though is how would it fight?
Using Appletun's signature move Apple Acid and Flapple's acid-producing abilities, I'd imagine Appletun would be a silly-looking stone wall who slowly racks up damage over time until you're at kill percent, while outlasting the opponent's onslaught.

It would have stuff like Bullet Seed as a gradual build-up move, Apple Acid to lower the opponent's defense, and Leech Seed to slowly drain their health away. It would probably have Body Slam as both okay-ish recovery and it's only reliable kill move at reasonable percents, but would be somewhat hard to land. Maybe give it a down air or dash attack as kill moves too, with some startup lag.

Overall, it would look silly and helpless at first glace due to it's harmless design, only for you to be taken off-guard when you're suddenly at 80% while it's still only at like 30%, and then it Body Slams you into oblivion.
why did Sakurai stop killing characters. I DAMAND blood
Actually, there's been a fair amount of beatings, lethal or otherwise. Let's list them all (Not counting :ultinkling::ultpiranha::ultjoker: for having non-traditional reveals):
  • Ridley: Mega Man gets impales and Mario gets his skull crushed.
  • Simon: Luigi gets his soul ripped out, though apparently he makes it back okay. Simon almost gets fried by Dracula as well, but Richter put a stop to that.
  • King K. Rool: King Dedede gets smacked in the back of the head for committing Mii Costume.
  • Isabelle: Tom Nook dies inside.
  • Ken and Incineroar: Little Mac gets yeeted into the big screen by Ken, then Ken gets yeeted by Incineroar-In his own reveal trailer, no less!
  • Hero: Link gets beaten up by Dharkon's puppets, and Eleven almost gets beaten too until Erdrick and co. jump in.
  • Banjo & Kazooie: Duck Hunt gets crushed for committing Mii Costume, like Dedede before him.
  • Terry: Every SNK big name gets their dreams crushed. Geese Howard, in particular, falls to his death. Again.
  • Byleth: Byleth themselves get beaten up for being yet another FE swordfighter. This event leads to Byleth abandoning their manhood as well.
  • Min Min: Spring Man gets punched in the face, Ribbon Girl and Ninjara lose the invitation, and Twintelle and Kid Cobra get fried by Min Min's Dragon ARM. In other news, the Spirit deconfirmation rule dies, and the Assist Trophy rule takes a punch to the gut.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Really? Cause this thread and the Rex thread are pretty much the only places on the internet I see that doesn't think XBC2 is inferior to XBC1.
To be fair, XBC is considered by many to be one of the best JRPGs ever. So I don't think that is the best argument.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, what archetype do you all think Saki (S&P), Ray (Custom Robo), Andy (Wars), Barbara (Jam with the Band), and Kururin would fill?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Really? Cause this thread and the Rex thread are pretty much the only places on the internet I see that doesn't think XBC2 is inferior to XBC1.
XC1 being better =/= XC2 being bad or mediocre.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hey, what archetype do you all think Saki (S&P), Ray (Custom Robo), Andy (Wars), Barbara (Jam with the Band), and Kururin would fill?
Saki would be a quick runner who can deal a ****ton of damage with powerful sword swings and projectiles that rack up damage over time, so I see him being a glass cannon

Custom Robo's about customizing weapon parts so I feel Ray could be able to switch weapons on the fly, tapping the B button uses the weapon he has equiped but holding the button down lets you change the weapon for that special, effectively giving him let's say 10 specials total as Custom Robo has 3 weapon slots iirc so his recovery would always stay the same.

As for the others, I either know too little or dislike the source game to want to think about it

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
On the topic of XB1 vs 2, every XB game has a lower Metacritic score than the one before it but imo XB is kinda overrated. It's very "lack of flaws" rather than "presence of strengths" if that makes sense. XBX and XB2's strengths are more memorable even if they also take plunges in other places.

On that note, did you know the official cut off for whether a game is good or not is exactly 83.5 points? Weird but true.

(I think XB2 went up a point since the last time I checked the scores, good for it.)

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I still don't understand why Xenoblade Chronicles X is so underappreciated critically. Even 5 years later no other game has had an open-world that feels as rich and alive as the one in X.

That's not even mentioning the addictive gameplay loops, surprisingly deep side-quests and lore, and banging music. The game got crucified by the faults it had despite what it did best being so stupidly large in scale that it puts other games to shame.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I still don't understand why Xenoblade Chronicles X is so underappreciated critically. Even 5 years later no other game has had an open-world that feels as rich and alive as the one in X.
What begins with double you and ends with you and has two eyes in the middle?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
What begins with double you and ends with you and has two eyes in the middle?
I mean, Wii U got other games that same year that got rated fairly highly (Splatoon, Mario Maker come to mind)... Being on the Wii U shouldn't have severely impacted its critical reception, and if anything it's even MORE impressive that someone made that world in the Wii U of all consoles and it remains unmatched 5 years later.

It's wizardry.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Xenoblade Chronicles is a game I can appreciate to this day. Solid story, great cast of characters tied together by phenomenal VA work, gameplay that's both complex yet easy enough to understand, and a great soundtrack.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a game I would've enjoyed in middle school. Trashy anime tropes, a motley, ragtag cast of misfits with...mixed performances, gameplay that's overly complicated, however, with a better soundtrack than Xenoblade Chronicles (Counterattack is a ****in' jam and I've had it in my playlists since before it had a name).

I could enjoy the original Xenoblade Chronicles from the start. If y'all have to tell me to play 5-10 hours in to actually enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles 2 then there's a problem.

I still love the series and would appreciate Rex in Smash, and people who like XC2 are free to do so, but comparing it to the original is like comparing Sword Art Online to My Hero Academia. They're not all that similar, and people probably like them for different reasons.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I never played XC2, but between the first game and X I much preferred X. I just liked the combat more and how much more depth it had, and I recall the world had much more stuff to do and find. I also liked the quests alot more overall too and feel they had more interesting story/worldbuilding to them.

Storywise people generally put XC1 over XCX, but meh, both were kinda just okay to me really. Both had some interesting concepts to them though I feel they could have explored some of them better or more. Music-wise I dunno. XCX could get kinda dumb with the lyrics and XC1 was more consistant I guess but some of the best tunes in XCX I feel resonated with me more than the best ones in XC1.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Using Appletun's signature move Apple Acid and Flapple's acid-producing abilities, I'd imagine Appletun would be a silly-looking stone wall who slowly racks up damage over time until you're at kill percent, while outlasting the opponent's onslaught.

Overall, it would look silly and helpless at first glace due to it's harmless design, only for you to be taken off-guard when you're suddenly at 80% while it's still only at like 30%, and then it Body Slams you into oblivion.
So, it would basically be :ultpiranha:
I am ready to accept this new plant overlord and addition to the Plant Gang

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Will there even be a 3? Is there more for the big man in the space station to do?
We still half one particular thing unaccounted for...

The bad half of Meyneth.

Anyways, in my opinion.

XC had the best overall story.

XCX had the best world and world building.

XC2 had the best character interactions.

They all have their own individual strengths and weaknesses. My only gripe is that people tend to overrate XC as some flawless masterpiece while the other two get **** on. Alternatively, fans may like two of the games and **** on the one that's left.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Speaking of things being left accounted for, I hope we do see a XCX2. It'd suck if they decided not to continue with it due to it not performing that well in sales, when it not doing so hot wasn't entirely its fault.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was gonna say that but that honestly sounds impossible.

That's just a machine dystopia innit?
Would still make for an interesting story.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

That's not even mentioning the addictive gameplay loops, surprisingly deep side-quests and lore, and banging music. The game got crucified by the faults it had despite what it did best being so stupidly large in scale that it puts other games to shame.
Because peepee poopoo story not like 1 (or 2) so me no like is what I usually take away from most complaints.
That is to say, people go into the game expecting it to have a heavy story-focus like the other games, and then are disappointed when it doesn't, even though it never even tried to be like that. There's a reason why the main story is presented as a series of quests: Pretty much all non-generic quests further one larger story of humanity settling on Mira.

I could enjoy the original Xenoblade Chronicles from the start. If y'all have to tell me to play 5-10 hours in to actually enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles 2 then there's a problem.
But don't you see? Once you get the combat system and have all the options at *checks notes* the very end of the game it becomes really good, which totally makes up for the fact that it wasn't that interesting for most of the rest of the game! :4pacman:

. . .Okay, I'll stop.

I just hope XC3 has better character design than XC2.
Considering that a lot of 2's issues stem from the fact that it had a massively reduced development staff due to Monolith Soft heavily helping out with Breath of the Wild, as well as them having to finish the game for the Switch's first year, I think there's a good chance that whatever original new game comes next probably has better character designs.

Though it's very questionable if 3 even is next, considering that Takahashi has stated before that he doesn't like doing the same thing for too long, and the most recent games are DE and 2.

We still half one particular thing unaccounted for...

The bad half of Meyneth.
There's no implication that such a thing even exists, though.
And honestly, I'd much prefer it if regardless of what 3 ended up being, it wouldn't so heavily lean on the past games and just do it's own thing instead. Though considering how they went all in on some multiverse **** in recent interviews I guess that's not gonna happen.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
On that note, did you know the official cut off for whether a game is good or not is exactly 83.5 points? Weird but true.
83,5 is a round of 5 / 6 * 100.

On the Xenoblade stuff, I consider myself as a fan. The serie quickly became one of my favorites.
I love XC1 for its story, twists and characters. The world is also pretty great.
I love XCX for its impressive world and freedom.
I only like XC2. It's a good game, but, imo, nothing was better that XC1 or XCX was already doing better.
All games have a great soundtrack.

XC2 is probably the only of the 3 that I won't do again. I'm on XCDE right now, and would love XCXDE, but I bought Torna and didn't even play it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I mean, going overboard with overleveled enemies in areas like Noctum or whatever it's called, tedious map completion methods which were required for plot progression, story and affinity missions being locked off from one another, the lack of an easy way to study mechanics, Skells being pretty underwhelming at first alongside how crappy insurance is, the godawful final chapter and pretending that you have freedom with the party when you're always going to have Lin and Elma annoyed me a lot personally. I mostly enjoyed it buy I have a hard time recommending X

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll just have to accept that you all have bad opinions and mine are superior.

You should all like the games I do.

And we should all hate Chibi-Robo: Photo Finder.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You hate Photo Finder but not Zip Lash more?
Zip Lash is a mediocre platformer.

Photo Finder straight up doesn't work and taunts the player because of it.

The only reason people think Zip Lash is worse is because nobody played either game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm going to challenge you to explain to me how the cooking minigame is acceptable game design.
Nah I'm not really a Photo Finder fan I just wanted to reference Vinny's interpretation of Mr. Curator's Simlish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom