• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Not here, at least, but outside of here would be another story. I've seen some distaste for the game, and there's also the fact that A: It's not considered much in general speculation, B: Most candidates would be deemed "Too anime," and C: It's owned by Tencent (By extension of them owning Riot Games), and we all know how people feel about them. If Pokemon Unite is any indication, the fans won't take too kindly to a MOBA rep.
I think it's also due to the MOBA genre not being connected to Smash much at all - even indirectly* - and the MOBA genre saw most of its popularity / exposure rather recently (early 2010s). The genre's also so intertwined with Twitch and e-Sports that it's very very difficult for those who are disinterested to see the genre as anything other than that. "This is just for the MOBA / eSports crowd" and all that. (Misses why MOBAs are rather popular to begin with, but that's another issue)

Fortnite also feels fairly overexposed to a lot of people to the point where to them even a rep from a ridiculously big mega-franchise like Pokemon would still be considered preferable, and that's saying something.
Should also add that it's also in a genre that's been very, very contested (like MOBAs) since it first became popular. There is not only Fortnite, but also PUBG, and more recently Apex / Hyper Scape and other modes in other games. That alone makes it a symbol of a very saturated genre. Also, it's pretty difficult for those disinterested in the genre to see it as other than "popular because it is the thing at the moment" (and also kinda miss why it's popular, but again, another issue).

Do you guys predict that Fighter Pass 2 will be Superior to Fighter Pass 1, or vice Versa?
Way to early to say (this question would probably be better off repeated 12+ months from now), but while Min Min started the FP2 off on an interesting note, it was going to be nigh-impossible to top Joker's teaser... which was shown right as Ultimate released.

*(The tightest connection is that several e-Sports teams that sponsor big Smash players started out as LoL / Dota organizations. And a lot of people don't care about that at all.)

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Guys, I think Sakurai literally deconfirmed any Persona character from 1-4.
If we go to anywhere regarding Persona’s content in smash (easiest example is music section), then we’ll see two things
The icon and the words ‘Persona series’
The icon is based off of Persona 5. But it doesn’t say ‘Persona 5 series’.
I didn’t think it was likely anyway, but I feel this completely deconfirms them.
Although Sakurai’s own barriers haven’t stopped him before. If he really wanted to add Aigis to smash, i’m sure either the Persona icon would change or we would get a seperate series or Aigis would just use Joker’s icon.
Which means if in Smash 6, Joker’s icon suddenly changes...
My boy Makoto is in babeyyy
Aigis better come with the song if she ever gets in. You don't add the toaster without burning the bread

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Jonesy or a LOL rep would be great for that.
I can see Jonesy getting a ton of hate, but for League... I dunno, the worst I can picture is people talking about its disconnect with Nintendo and its ownership by Tencent. Not much about the game itself or any specific character.

Unless it's Yasuo, because I promise you, no one hates Yasuo more than the League fandom itself. :roll:

In general, I think the people who tend to really dislike League/MOBAs, at least from my perspective, are complete casuals who just associate the genre with toxicity and wasting time, but that's only my personal experience with people who hate LoL.

Overall, I think there would be more people shocked than outright angry. Or at least, not as angry as with PP or Byleth.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If we go to anywhere regarding Persona’s content in smash (easiest example is music section), then we’ll see two things
I didn’t think it was likely anyway, but I feel this completely deconfirms them.
Although Sakurai’s own barriers haven’t stopped him before. If he really wanted to add Aigis to smash, i’m sure either the Persona icon would change or we would get a seperate series or Aigis would just use Joker’s icon.
It would be funny if Narukami is introduced and they still keep the P5 logo.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This could also apply to Xenoblade, considering that the series icon is the Monado, which itself was only relevant in the first game.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Aigis better come with the song if she ever gets in. You don't add the toaster without burning the bread
It’s such an iconic song from the series. I’m surprised it didn’t even make it into Ultimate with Joker.
It would be funny if Narukami is introduced and they still keep the P5 logo.
I wouldn’t be surprised, but at the same time I would. It does make sense, but why??
This could also apply to Xenoblade, considering that the series icon is the Monado, which itself was only relevant in the first game.
That is true, but I have a feeling they’d be more willing to keep the logo if Rex got in.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I come from the future.

Templates from SmashTemplates on Twitter. Phoenix and 2B renders from RendersSSBU on Twitter.

You could replace the last one with a wildcard of sorts, but I just want to style on people because it would be funny.
I love you because of putting Style Savvy in the last spot. If that's our last character reactions would be really curious.
Also, great pass!

"Haha [X] go [Y]" is the new replacement for Hoes Mad or salt retaliation. Anything with such a basic template can be made as a meme and spread like fire.

Monsoon was really a visionary.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Maybe next Smash Bros. they'll change it to an X or something. :191:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Eh, FE kept Falchion so I think they'll keep Monado for Xenoblade.
Eh, it's still possible with series like Metal Gear even though it was like copyright or smth idk

The Monado symbol also looks kinda ugly IMO.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Eh, it's still possible with series like Metal Gear even though it was like copyright or smth idk

I don't even play Xenoblade and this logo always bugged me. It really should have been the X on the logos for these games.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Metal Gear wasn't copyright so much as the Foxhound logo was also the Kojima Productions logo and Konami clearly wanted to distance the series from its creator. But yeah, they could totally change Xenoblade's if they want to, I just see them keeping it as likelier because it's better than an X and I can't think of anything linking all three games (besides Nopon but I don't see them using that as an icon).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Series symbols don't have to be appropriate for all of a series' reps. Should K. Rool represent himself with a DK symbol? Or Wolf with the logo of Team Star Fox?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Jonesy or a LOL rep would be great for that.
Imagine getting a character that looks like an FE character but comes from a series that's far less popular and also is from a genre that very few in the fanbase likes. Because Euden is a guy that exists. Some people wanted or were fine with Byleth because they wanted 3 Houses in the game at least. Not there there's even close to that number that want Euden or Dragalia Lost

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The same could literally be said for nearly every single villain on the roster (:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultwolf::ultmewtwo::ultdarkpit:).
Also some heroes. Namely, the Heroes that aren't Erdrick. Maybe the Belmonts shouldn't represent themselves with an image of Dracula's Castle either, since they obviously do not approve of him.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Also some heroes. Namely, the Heroes that aren't Erdrick. Maybe the Belmonts shouldn't represent themselves with an image of Dracula's Castle either, since they obviously do not approve of him.
Okay, maybe the symbol discussion is going too far. Simply put, Snake's symbol only got changed because Konami was an arse to Kojima.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Imagine getting a character that looks like an FE character but comes from a series that's far less popular and also is from a genre that very few in the fanbase likes. Because Euden is a guy that exists. Some people wanted or were fine with Byleth because they wanted 3 Houses in the game at least. Not there there's even close to that number that want Euden or Dragalia Lost
But... I want Euden...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hey, don't disrespect my boy Euden like that.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I love you because of putting Style Savvy in the last spot. If that's our last character reactions would be really curious.
Also, great pass!
Thanks!

People are out here saying "Smash never ends on a bang, they usually save a shill pick for the last round" don't realize that that's what I'm hoping for. Mwahaha. Of course, she'd get a lot of hate, tragically, but I'm sure people would warm up once they see the fun aesthetic plus resource-management-based gameplay she could bring.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
That's...pretty much what I said. Never said the reveal would be positive, just that it wouldn't cause the Smash fanbase to spontaneously ignite into flames like Byleth.

I think a lot of people would be neutral. Some would be happy, some would be angry, but most people would be pretty neutral. That scale could slide a little to the left or right depending on the Pokemon, because I do think certain Pokemon would be received better than others.
I'm not gonna say you're wrong, because people are unpredictable and I don't know for sure what the general sentiment will be, but I gotta say this feels optimistic to me. This community gets toxic and vocal about some dumb stuff. And frankly as a huge Pokemon fan I know I would personally dislike another Pokemon rep. It just doesn't represent anything new for Smash.

Now I wouldn't throw a hissy fit or complain on social media, but I think it says something that even a fan, like me, who has been playing Pokemon since Red/Blue and gotten every game since would still be disappointed with yet another Pokemon in Smash. I can't imagine the people who aren't fond of Pokemon would react well. Probably wouldn't be as bad as Fire Emblem because Pokemon is more popular than Fire Emblem. Buuut then it would also be post Byleth, which could either exacerbate the problem in some people's eyes or perhaps gird them for the disappointment (assuming it would be a disappointment for them). So who knows.

I just have a hard time imagining a new Pokemon rep going over well though. It feels like it would be a slightly negative reaction at best.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm gonna regret asking this, aren't I?

So, I know nothing about LoL. I looked at Yasou's official art and nothing stuck out to me as odd. Why is he so despised?

Dear lord, please let my question be answered without this devolving into an argument

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey bro there was no need to bring Euden into this, he just wants to vibe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

So, I know nothing about LoL. I looked at Yasou's official art and nothing stuck out to me as odd. Why is he so despised?

Dear lord, please let my question be answered without this devolving into an argument
he's broken and annoying to fight against

at least that's what im getting

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sorry, not trying to argue that nobody wants him. Just that it's a lot less popular of a choice than FE while looking like an FE character, so the same amount of salt but with less people who are going to be defending him
Actually, now that I think about it, Dragalia Lost actually had two crossovers with FE. There might be a bit of overlap between fanbases, if only a little.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Picture this:

A character that is generally good and at the same time has a decently high skill ceiling. Pros pick him and the character can do really crazy **** in the highest competitive level. Since this is a Smash forum, I guess the best comparison in that sense is Melee Fox. Did you visualize it? Good.

Now picture that same character being used in a ranked ladder environment. Picture the stress and inevitable toxicity that comes with team esports.

Pair that up with him being hard to stop once he starts getting too many kills mid match, being able to dash, stun and block ALL projectiles for a few seconds (all things that can be annoying in League - even one at a time) and you have your answer.

Plus, some people dislike his personality in game too. I don't, but I've seen players who do. Generally speaking, though, it's more related to how he plays.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Do you guys predict that Fighter Pass 2 will be Superior to Fighter Pass 1, or vice Versa?
I wasn't really crazy about FP1 tbh.

:ultjoker:Never played a Persona game before (do have P4G on steam though and will start that at some point)
:ulthero2:of the DQ games represented with a playable alt, I've only played was DQVIII 3DS, and even that I never got around to finishing and only got halfway through
:ultbanjokazooie: I didn't check out their games until AFTER getting revealed for Smash ultimate. I enjoyed the first game but obviously it was too late to get excited for them being in Smash
:ult_terry:never really got into SNK stuff so *shrug*
:ultbyleth:Pretty much the only FP1 character I actually personally gave a crap about since FE Three Houses was easily my 2019 GotY.

As for FP2

:ultminminI played and had a a nice time with ARMS, so I was happy to see it get a rep. While I would have preferred Spring man, Min Min is also really cool.

So yeah despite only having one character FP2 is already about equal to FP1. I have a hard time seeing them not be able to make me like FP2 more, especially when there's an extra slot to work with, but we'll see I guess.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Euden has the reverse problem of a lot of characters in that the dude has absolutely no moveset potential. He has uh...
  • A sword with a generic swordfighting style
  • teh f1re
  • can change into a Dragon completely (no partial transformations like Corrin).
    • I guess the dragons can be different elements?
    • But dragons act as a limit break mechanic so it'd either be a gimmick a lá KO punch or, more likely, a final smash
  • If we flex and include his Gala version, we can also give him light attacks too.
    • Still the same, generic swordfighting style though.
  • If we flex even harder and include the entire party, he could use a variety of different weapons
While Sakurai has made amazing movesets from less, I simply don't see Euden offering anything that hasn't already been done. I don't see him happening unless Nintendo absolutely forces Sakurai to do it.

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Uh the xenoblade 2 spirits use the same icon shulk dose.
So with Rex getting in he’ll use the same icon as shulks

osby

Smash Obsessed
Shame we won't get Byleth just because FE's series icon is Falchion. They would be cool in Smash.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Speaking of Rex, do you guys think Sakurai likes Nia more than Rex. He didn't make her Costume be behind a $25 paywall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom