• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If we're going to get a tank there's only one I will accept:
View attachment 279686Blaster Master!
I won't lie, that's a solid pick. But the Metal Slug is better.

Also, Sophia is 4 meters high. Meanwhile, a Metal Slug is only 2.1 meters high. I think K. Rool is taller than that.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I dunno, I'd be pretty hyped to see Cinderace. I think there are plenty of Pokemon that could play in interesting ways and bring fun content with them. :drshrug:
we live in a society where fire starters get all the unconditional love #grassgang

SharkLord

Smash Hero
here is little fun thing
these are the year origin of characters we dont have in smash yet
1970s
if you had to add characters from these years who would you want it to be?
Well, let's see...
1970's-Dungeons and Dragons rep? I know it's not a video game, but it's still a type of game, right? Also, I don't know anyone else that would fit there...
1982-Dig Dug
2000-Adeleine and Ribbon
2003-Lyn
2008-Spore rep
2011-Ezio Auditore
2014-Shovel Knight
2018-Madeline
2020-Sakuna (I know the game's not even out yet, but shush, it's looking great already)

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Was it the sex demon?
No, the transphobia and homophobia in the games lol

My opinion is that he needs to stop dressing like Willy Wonka if he wants me to take him seriously from the moment I look at him.
"lol you wear weridly, now I don't have to pay attention!'
Don't understand why dose that matter, as it's what matter in the inside / the action that counts

If people can take the characters of FF seriously despite what they wear, I don't see why you can't do the same for a British dude

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The new Pokemon probably wouldn't be the highlight of the pass, but I also think it's backed by enough widespread appeal to prevent it from being absolutely hated. Incineroar had plenty of reasons to be despised, but most people didn't seem to lash out at it like I expected. People accepted it fairly quickly.
You're talking about the smash fanbase.
The most entilted fanbase in the whole universe for the single fact that this fanbase is equal to multiple fanbases of different franchises togethers.

Trust me, if you though that Corrin was bad and a "shill pick" trust me, this fanbase will tear a new one for the new pokémon rep if it's the next DLC character ESPECIALLY because it's one of the biggest franchise in the world.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can't say I've seen it but that's worrying.

If people can take the characters of FF seriously despite what they wear, I don't see why you can't do the same for a British dude
well,

1. I was joking.
2. Because this is real life, not just fantasy. Caught in a landslide. No escape from reality.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Don't understand why dose that matter, as it's what matter in the inside / the action that counts
That only applies to physical appearance.

If you're picking out your own outfit, your outside reflects your inside.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Gimme the chad sharkmon. Garchomp would be the closest thing to Bryan Fury in Smash since he's his clone in Pokken and I'm all up for it.
Only if its among Cynthia's three Pokemon.

Which would be her three chosen? I know Garchomp would certainly be among them.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
I tried to think of alterantives to the Monster Hunter itself as a rep to the MH series but almost everything is a huge wyvern. I havent played MHW, do the palicoes come back in that one, because they could be a good alternative.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I tried to think of alterantives to the Monster Hunter itself as a rep to the MH series but almost everything is a huge wyvern. I havent played MHW, do the palicoes come back in that one, because they could be a good alternative.
Yeah, if they decide on an MH rep and it's not a hunter, it's most certainly going to be a prowler.

That or Rajang

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I was bored, so I made a spirit board for my most wanted fourth-party series, Steven Universe.
SUSpiritBoard1.png
SUSpiritBoard2.png

Steven (Young) evolves into Steven (Future), and Pink Diamond evolves into Rose Quartz. Using the Spirit Merging feature, you can merge Ruby and Sapphire into Garnet (Primary Grab Ace) and Steven (Young) and Connie into Stevonnie (Primary Shield Ace).

You might notice the absence of a certain stretchy gem. There's a good reason for that...

Droodle

Smash Lord
My pick of choice would be Brachydios. Sure, they'd still have to decrease his size; but a Bipedal monster that puts on exploding slime after a punch is pretty cool, it's pretty popular too. They could even make rage/fatigue a mechanic, after you hit a set % of damage you go into rage and all your punches explode instantly, after some time has passed you go into fatigue where your moves become weaker.

Although Prowler would also be cool, they have a ton of stuff to pull from in MH Gen.

I looked up the Monster Hunter felynes and apparently they have had cameos in Mario Maker, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, and MvC3. I'd be down to add Smash to the list.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
here is little fun thing
these are the year origin of characters we dont have in smash yet
1970s
if you had to add characters from these years who would you want it to be?
1982: Dig Dug
2000: Adeleine and Ribbon
2003: Lyn
2008: Neku Sakuraba
2011: Snivy
2014: Queen Sectonia (boss)
2018: Euden
2020: Pass

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Hey, don't insult Tifa's outfit! I know she forgets her sports bra sometimes, but her outfit is practical!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The most entilted fanbase in the whole universe for the single fact that this fanbase is equal to multiple fanbases of different franchises togethers.

Trust me, if you though that Corrin was bad and a "shill pick" trust me, this fanbase will tear a new one for the new pokémon rep if it's the next DLC character ESPECIALLY because it's one of the biggest franchise in the world.
I'm kinda doubtful we'll reach Corrin levels of toxicity again, even in the nightmare scenario that an 8th Gen Pokémon ends up being the last DLC character. A big part of why the Corrin situation turned out so bad was because there were a lot more big fanbases around, partially because of previously unfulfilled requests that have since been added, but also because the ballot made many fanbases push their movements extra hard, so even fanbases for characters that didn't top the popularity charts were hopeful. The situation isn't the same now, a large chunk of the Geno fanbase will probably make a right mess of things if he doesn't make it in, but I don't think the absence of any other character is going to create a significant uproar, fanbases for the other frontrunners aren't anywhere nearly as coordinated as the ones that made things really ugly in the past.

It obviously wouldn't be pretty, but I think at worst we'd be looking at another Byleth situation, which was bad, but still not a meltdown of as legendary proportions as that Corrin+Bayo double whammy, or even the base game roster leaks for Brawl and Smash 4, at least imo.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A lot of it depends on who they choose. If the Gen 8 Pokemon is someone really unique and unexpected, I think the character would get a better reaction. Definitely not as good as Banjo, but also nowhere near as bad as Byleth. Maybe something closer to ARMS.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't know if a Pokemon rep would ever get as much vitriol as a FE rep, because, you know, Pokemon has "tHe SaLeS!" and lines Nintendo's pocket more than Fire Emblem.

then again Sw/Sh is much more controversial than previous gens, and the "uggghhh" feeling of Pokemon constantly getting the red carpet treatment from Sakurai/Nintendo has probably only increased since Incineraor, so who knows.

Droodle

Smash Lord

The moment where I was enlightened to how toxic the Smash fanbase is, was when Hero was revealed in the E3 livestream and the video got bombarded with dislikes. After Banjo got revealed, the dislikes instantly faded away. You literally can't win with the fanbase unless you give them exactly what they want, (really the only exception to this was Joker, but I'm pretty sure if Joker was seen as feasible by most people then he would have done pretty well in polls). Also obviously the whole Grinch leak fiasco.

Literally every reveal nowadays is seen as meh unless it's an extremely popular character that the fanbase wants/has wanted for a long time ie. Geno, Sora, Dante, 2B, Phoenix Wright, Crash, Chief etc. "Left field", characters are viewed with a lot of toxicity and it takes weeks for the community to get over it (and this is even outside of Byleth). Seriously, we're 70+ characters in, and people still act like some tragedy happens when just one of the new characters isn't the exact character they wanted.

It's a miracle that Sakurai and the Bamco team has the mental strength to drudge through Smash enough for a second fighters pass, considering how much toxicity the general fandom throws at them after every "non-requested" reveal. I'm pretty sure Sakurai has admitted that he avoids talking about games he likes on twitter now, because people will just take anything that Sakurai likes as a huge point for them getting into Smash. And it's pretty clear that Harada hates people that only look forward to the next big reveals, considering all the nice things he had to say to Smash fans on twitter.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
A lot of it depends on who they choose. If the Gen 8 Pokemon is someone really unique and unexpected, I think the character would get a better reaction. Definitely not as good as Banjo, but also nowhere near as bad as Byleth. Maybe something closer to ARMS.
Unfortunately, I feel the reaction is gonna be...mixed, for lack of a better word, simply due to the nature of the game that the character comes from. SwSh did a number on the Pokemon community that's unfortunately not going away; that coupled with the Smash fandom's apathy towards Pokemon ever since Greninja and it's gonna be hard to get the core fans excited.

...That said, I hope that doesn't stop them. Galar's my favorite region ATM and I'd love to see content from it in Smash. :dr^_^:

ZelDan

Smash Master
The moment where I was enlightened to how toxic the Smash fanbase is, was when Hero was revealed in the E3 livestream and the video got bombarded with dislikes. After Banjo got revealed, the dislikes instantly faded away. You literally can't win with the fanbase unless you give them exactly what they want, (really the only exception to this was Joker, but I'm pretty sure if Joker was seen as feasible by most people then he would have done pretty well in polls). Also obviously the whole Grinch leak fiasco.

Literally every reveal nowadays is seen as meh unless it's an extremely popular character that the fanbase wants/has wanted for a long time ie. Geno, Sora, Dante, 2B, Phoenix Wright, Crash, Chief etc. "Left field", characters are viewed with a lot of toxicity and it takes weeks for the community to get over it (and this is even outside of Byleth). Seriously, we're 70+ characters in, and people still act like some tragedy happens when just one of the new characters isn't the exact character they wanted.

It's a miracle that Sakurai and the Bamco team has the mental strength to drudge through Smash enough for a second fighters pass, considering how much toxicity the general fandom throws at them after every "non-requested" reveal. I'm pretty sure Sakurai has admitted that he avoids talking about games he likes on twitter now, because people will just take anything that Sakurai likes as a huge point for them getting into Smash. And it's pretty clear that Harada hates people that only look forward to the next big reveals, considering all the nice things he had to say to Smash fans on twitter.
Some of the BS Erdrick/Dragon Quest got BEFORE E3 2019 wasn't exactly pretty either.

I'm not really into the Dragon Quest series and even I found the toxicity towards the franchise ridiculous.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
My pick of choice would be Brachydios. Sure, they'd still have to decrease his size; but a Bipedal monster that puts on exploding slime after a punch is pretty cool, it's pretty popular too. They could even make rage/fatigue a mechanic, after you hit a set % of damage you go into rage and all your punches explode instantly, after some time has passed you go into fatigue where your moves become weaker.

Although Prowler would also be cool, they have a ton of stuff to pull from in MH Gen.
Would he work at Bowser's size? I dont think him being too big would be a problem but he also seems to stand in a way that makes it very long due the tail. Moveset would be really good though

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Would he work at Bowser's size? I dont think him being too big would be a problem but he also seems to stand in a way that makes it very long due the tail. Moveset would be really good though
The tallest a Brachydios can be is 19 meters in Monster Hunter, the smallest is 13 meters. I think that's possible to work around, pretty sure Ridley's been larger than that in Brawl and Super Metroid.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
After Byleth its hard to imagine any fighter matching that level of antipathy. Partially because that level of third party expectation won't happen again, partially because the worst case scenario for many (another FE fighter) is out of the way, and partially because many cynically expect another Pokemon rep anyway.

There will be some ticked off responses most certainly, but the most common negative reaction I suspect will be more along the lines of aggressive indifference than outright disdain like with Fighter 5.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Unfortunately, I feel the reaction is gonna be...mixed, for lack of a better word, simply due to the nature of the game that the character comes from. SwSh did a number on the Pokemon community that's unfortunately not going away; that coupled with the Smash fandom's apathy towards Pokemon ever since Greninja and it's gonna be hard to get the core fans excited.

...That said, I hope that doesn't stop them. Galar's my favorite region ATM and I'd love to see content from it in Smash. :dr^_^:
Sure, there's bound to be people who will spit at anything related to SwSh, but I also think there'd be a huge difference in the response to Toxtricity or Dragapult compared to Urshifu or a starter.

Again, I don't see a path for the Gen 8 rep to be the most hype addition to this pass, but I also don't think it's doomed to receive a Byleth level of hate.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Receiving another promotional Pokemon character wouldn't be received that favorably all things considered, but if people think it'd be worse than Corrin or Byleth they still don't really understand why people complain about FE.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I dunno, I'd be pretty hyped to see Cinderace. I think there are plenty of Pokemon that could play in interesting ways and bring fun content with them. :drshrug:
Im sure Cinder would be fun too but a pokemon is personaly the last thing Id want
I raise you with

"Which sex demon"?
We all know Rin is the best

Last edited:

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
The tallest a Brachydios can be is 19 meters in Monster Hunter, the smallest is 13 meters. I think that's possible to work around, pretty sure Ridley's been larger than that in Brawl and Super Metroid.
I was mostly thinking on the space he'd need to take from left to right in order to be around Ridley's smash size

63db736889b533454e51f51f69d9750a.png

Looking at it, the size certainly wouldnt be a problem in a shrunken down model, but I wonder if the tail + stance would be a problem.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Some of the BS Erdrick/Dragon Quest got BEFORE E3 2019 wasn't exactly pretty either.

I'm not really into the Dragon Quest series and even I found the toxicity towards the franchise ridiculous.
The toxicity from that **** ended up having the people who had to take it to create their own anti-toxin.

1595455666397.png

Though, a toxin is still a toxin. I don't know a person who still likes the Hoes Mad trend nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom