• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I don't give a **** what any one says, I'm a big Pokemon fan and would be happy if we got another Pokemon whether it's from a previous gen (Unlikely) or Gen 8 (Hoping for Inteleon).
Same. I'll just be over here adoring Urshifu while everyone else hates on it

Some of the BS Erdrick/Dragon Quest got BEFORE E3 2019 wasn't exactly pretty either.

I'm not really into the Dragon Quest series and even I found the toxicity towards the franchise ridiculous.
Also same. I don't care for DQ but it's clearly worthy of a spot. What's especially weird is, DBZ is massively popular in the US. You'd think people would be happy to get playable Toriyama characters, with the understanding that characters from DBZ itself are extremely unlikely due to DBZ not being a game franchise first and foremost. Some of the heroes even look like DBZ characters for pete's sake

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Hoes Mad was fine and funny with Hero since people dared to spend MONTHS arguing that DQ was nothing.
It became annoying with Terry.
And people using it for Byleth became too much.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
You're talking about the smash fanbase.
The most entilted fanbase in the whole universe for the single fact that this fanbase is equal to multiple fanbases of different franchises togethers.

Trust me, if you though that Corrin was bad and a "shill pick" trust me, this fanbase will tear a new one for the new pokémon rep if it's the next DLC character ESPECIALLY because it's one of the biggest franchise in the world.
I doubt a new Pokemon will get the level of hate to the extent of Corrin/Byleth/Fire Emblem.

Will it get backlash?, Sure, But every character is prone to getting some form of it whether it's big or small because you can't please everyone.

Will it get praised to the extent of Banjo-Kazooie or Joker? I doubt it, It will likely come down to what Pokemon they choose.

At most it would be neutral because a lot of people are kind of expecting it to happen and even if there are fans that are getting sick of too much Pokemon, There's no denying that along with Mario, Both are Smash's biggest franchises that have the longest reach and massive audience appeal that helps offset some of that hate. The same can't be said for Fire Emblem.

Many hate seeing Fire Emblem getting special treatment similarly to Mario and Pokemon despite not being in the same league, It also doesn't help that the characters play and look very similarly to each other which is a big reason why they get the most criticism ,Where as Pokemon have way more different archetypes, looks, aesthetics and have a wide pool of attacks and movesets to work with that really set them apart.

Bottom Line: A Gen 8 Pokemon will probably get decent/solid amount of criticism and result of a middle of the pack pick that isn't viewed as exciting, But I doubt it will reach Byleth/Fire Emblem levels.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
it wouldnt make sense to call wolf a N64 character if he is originated in an SNES title
The SNES title only officially released in 2017. Chronologically speaking, he originated on the N64.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Hoes Mad was fine and funny with Hero since people dared to spend MONTHS arguing that DQ was nothing.
It became annoying with Terry.
And people using it for Byleth became too much.
It also helps that Hoes Mad and the Dragon Quest overworld theme, works surprisingly well and is kinda catchy.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The HOES MAD meme became too much with Byleth. There were a lot of people who were acting ridiculous at the time, but there were also plenty of reasonable people who were expressing valid opinions. Sort of comes off as rude and "Ha Ha!! I got the character I wanted!! Don't give a crap about how you feel!!"

Kinda hope this meme dies and stays dead. Never really liked it that much.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I didn't really feel HOES MAD was any worse during the Byleth salt than any other salt arc. People were probably using it against reasonable people even during the Hero reveal.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hoes mad was kinda funny at the beginning, but really it's just one example of many of how the fanbase fights toxicity with toxicity.

HOES MAD was used around Three Houses' launch, too, so some of its' use with Byleth was a continuation of stuff from the game's release some months prior. A lot of people were complaining that Nintendo was advertising Three Houses on Twitter even though it was when the game was the most current thing. Definitely petty on both ends, but a factor in what was going on.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Same. I'll just be over here adoring Urshifu while everyone else hates on it

Also same. I don't care for DQ but it's clearly worthy of a spot. What's especially weird is, DBZ is massively popular in the US. You'd think people would be happy to get playable Toriyama characters, with the understanding that characters from DBZ itself are extremely unlikely due to DBZ not being a game franchise first and foremost. Some of the heroes even look like DBZ characters for pete's sake
Agreed on both stances (Toryama's designs are also always top notch), not to mention Smash lacks a "proper" kung-fu fighter so it would work uniquely if they manage to deal with the two forms. That said smash also lacks a musician/geomancer, a football player and a spy, so the starters would also be great additions, to the point where its kinda disgusting when people who act toxic or shtpost try to pretend they'd be bad choices just because they dont know them, or even pretend some more obscure pick wouldnt get backlash from toxic smash fans just for being who they wanted instead of one of the "main" choices (which as I say are not only unique, but also unique for smash movesets, meaning any of them would bring something new) as if the ones who complain about any new choice would care about them.

And speaking of Toryama designs, I'd love Chrono Trigger content too even if just spirits.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I don't really mind the HOES MAD meme if hoes are, in fact, acting mad.

But yeah some people abuse it
hoes mad was funny at first

then people started using it for other characters

then people started using it even when it doesn't apply

the most egregious example of this was this big compilation of min min reactions on youtube that had a big "HOES MAD" on the thumbnail even though at least 95% of reactions were positive

like this demonstrates, it's reached a point where people will keep hoes mad alive regardless of the latest character's actual reception because they're so desperate to dunk on the salty haters or whatever

and it sucks because hoes mad HAS legitimately gotten annoying and i feel it should just die at this point. but people refuse to let it do so.

basically i think people should just pull an ol' yeller with hoes mad already because it simply isn't funny, clever or even relevant anymore.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The toxicity from that **** ended up having the people who had to take it to create their own anti-toxin.

View attachment 279777

Though, a toxin is still a toxin. I don't know a person who still likes the Hoes Mad trend nowadays.
Hoes Mad died with Byleth. It was fine with Hero and Banjo because it started out then, and while it's fine to be dissatisfied, a lot of people crossed the line into outright ignorance. It carried on with Terry, since he was a lesser-known character who got a lot of flack just because people didn't know about him, and he actually got no less than three different variants.
Byleth, though? For one, they were a very contentious character, so some people were really upset that their reasons for dissatisfaction were brushed away as just "lol hoes mad." Another thing, the meme already bled into the FE fandom as people started whining about Three Houses even before Byleth got into Smash, and so there weren't any fancy variants used. As a result, the meme took a heavy hit.
I at least remember seeing a couple when an ARMS character was announced, but there wasn't much and mostly people responded to salt with "haha arms go boing" instead. Once CP7 swings around, I doubt we'll be seeing Hoes Mad again.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
The fact that people thought hoes mad was funny at first, but are tired of it now just goes to show that history repeats itself.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I at least remember seeing a couple when an ARMS character was announced, but there wasn't much and mostly people responded to salt with "haha arms go boing" instead. Once CP7 swings around, I doubt we'll be seeing Hoes Mad again.
"Haha [X] go [Y]" is the new replacement for Hoes Mad or salt retaliation. Anything with such a basic template can be made as a meme and spread like fire.

1595458525184.png

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Jonesy getting in would practically create a second wave of Hoes Mad on his own. I don't know about LOL though, I don't see much hate for it.
League of Legends I think would have people more baffled than anything, given of all the "never on Nintendo" franchises people want/expect in Smash,, LoL is pretty way down the list.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Jonesy getting in would practically create a second wave of Hoes Mad on his own. I don't know about LOL though, I don't see much hate for it.
Not here, at least, but outside of here would be another story. I've seen some distaste for the game, and there's also the fact that A: It's not considered much in general speculation, B: Most candidates would be deemed "Too anime," and C: It's owned by Tencent (By extension of them owning Riot Games), and we all know how people feel about them. If Pokemon Unite is any indication, the fans won't take too kindly to a MOBA rep.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Fortnite also feels fairly overexposed to a lot of people to the point where to them even a rep from a ridiculously big mega-franchise like Pokemon would still be considered preferable, and that's saying something.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
A lot of it depends on who they choose. If the Gen 8 Pokemon is someone really unique and unexpected, I think the character would get a better reaction. Definitely not as good as Banjo, but also nowhere near as bad as Byleth. Maybe something closer to ARMS.
This just in: Local Pokémon fan thinks Pokémon newcomer would be received relatively well. More news at 11.

I think it'd be taken okay since people have almost resigned themselves to the possibility, but I really don't see the reaction to what will be widely perceived as the next shillmon being anything close to positive.

I.D.

Smash Lord
After Byleth its hard to imagine any fighter matching that level of antipathy.
1594713263544.png

-9th Fire Emblem character
-Another blue haired, sword lord
-Mobile representative
-Gacha representative
-Would only be included for the sole purpose of shilling said gacha and try to revitalize its diminishing profits
-Brings absolutely nothing to the table that isn't already covered
There is not a single character in video game history that nails as many "red flags" for Smash as this guy would.
What do I win

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 279781
-9th Fire Emblem character
-Another blue haired, sword lord
-Mobile representative
-Gacha representative
-Would only be included for the sole purpose of shilling said gacha and try to revitalize its diminishing profits
-Brings absolutely nothing to the table that isn't already covered
There is not a single character in video game history that nails as many "red flags" for Smash as this guy would.
What do I win
Nothing, because you didn't give him a Counter.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
This just in: Local Pokémon fan thinks Pokémon newcomer would be received relatively well. More news at 11.

I think it'd be taken okay since people have almost resigned themselves to the possibility, but I really don't see the reaction to what will be widely perceived as the next shillmon being anything close to positive.
I mean... remember that the day the ARMS fighter was teased , the second it went online, Sakurai made a tweet saying it was a REQUEST FROM NINTENDO.
Which he never did for any DLC or fighters before, like he prepared himself for the """disappointment""" , so if there a Pokemon fighter announced, I can see him pull that off again.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean... remember that the day the ARMS fighter was teased , the second it went online, Sakurai made a tweet saying it was a REQUEST FROM NINTENDO.
Which he never did for any DLC or fighters before, like he prepared himself for the """disappointment""" , so if there a Pokemon fighter announced, I can see him pull that off again.
I don't think I have the mental strength for the guessing game again. Starter Wars and a single Toxtricity in the back fighting for another month, maybe more.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Another Pokemon character is the last thing I'd want to see for this pass, TBH.

Like, I ****ing hate Sora and Kingdom Hearts (except KH2, KH2 is pretty rad) but I'd gladly take his inclusion over another shillmon. At least he's heavily demanded and could come with some incredible music.

I.D.

Smash Lord
You're making that tweet sound much more ominous than it actually was

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

That's...pretty much what I said. Never said the reveal would be positive, just that it wouldn't cause the Smash fanbase to spontaneously ignite into flames like Byleth.

I think a lot of people would be neutral. Some would be happy, some would be angry, but most people would be pretty neutral. That scale could slide a little to the left or right depending on the Pokemon, because I do think certain Pokemon would be received better than others.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think a lot of people would be neutral. Some would be happy, some would be angry, but most people would be pretty neutral. That scale could slide a little to the left or right depending on the Pokemon, because I do think certain Pokemon would be received better than others.
Yeah, pretty much. If another Pokemon got in, this sums up my reaction.

Untitled.png

It definitely isn't desirable, but there could be worse outcomes. It would just make me hold the first Fighter's Pass in way higher regard in quality lol.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I'm not really seeing a scenario of a Nintendo affiliated franchise getting a rep as a negative thing. But, that is just me.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Do you guys predict that Fighter Pass 2 will be Superior to Fighter Pass 1, or vice Versa?

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Guys, I think Sakurai literally deconfirmed any Persona character from 1-4.
If we go to anywhere regarding Persona’s content in smash (easiest example is music section), then we’ll see two things
The icon and the words ‘Persona series’
The icon is based off of Persona 5. But it doesn’t say ‘Persona 5 series’.
I didn’t think it was likely anyway, but I feel this completely deconfirms them.
Although Sakurai’s own barriers haven’t stopped him before. If he really wanted to add Aigis to smash, i’m sure either the Persona icon would change or we would get a seperate series or Aigis would just use Joker’s icon.
Which means if in Smash 6, Joker’s icon suddenly changes...
My boy Makoto is in babeyyy

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You're making that tweet sound much more ominous than it actually was
The tweet didn't really come across as "IT WASN'T MY DECISION PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!" If anything, it seems to go along better with Sakurai's explanation that Min Min was a special request from the developer.

Byleth was the only character where you could sense Sakurai trying to lower expectations, and that's because he did exactly that. Literally right before Byleth's reveal, he asked that there be no hard feelings.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do you guys predict that Fighter Pass 2 will be Superior to Fighter Pass 1, or vice Versa?
So far, 1 is looking superior by miles. :ulthero3:It gave me two mains. :ult_terry:

Anything can happen at any moment though, we literally only have one fighter in the second one lol. As soon as someone like Geno pops in, people will go "omg thank u sakurai i'll never ask 4 anything again uwu" and rank it as the best DLC in Smash history right before asking "ok but where sora at tho".

Guys, I think Sakurai literally deconfirmed any Persona character from 1-4.
If we go to anywhere regarding Persona’s content in smash (easiest example is music section), then we’ll see two things
The icon and the words ‘Persona series’
The icon is based off of Persona 5. But it doesn’t say ‘Persona 5 series’.
I didn’t think it was likely anyway, but I feel this completely deconfirms them.
Although Sakurai’s own barriers haven’t stopped him before. If he really wanted to add Aigis to smash, i’m sure either the Persona icon would change or we would get a seperate series or Aigis would just use Joker’s icon.
Which means if in Smash 6, Joker’s icon suddenly changes...
My boy Makoto is in babeyyy
And that's good enough to say in two threads. :nifty:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom