• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Even with Little Mac being one of my most wanted and my excessive hateboner for Incineroar, I'll still say Ultimate had a better selection of newcomers.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I was looking at Joker's list of games and realized we have a Smash rep from: Granblue Fantasy, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma, Phantasy Star Online, Catherine, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

So please don't ask for another rep from those games or SMT. :4pacman:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Re: which Smash game had the best newcomer roster.

Sm4sh had :ultshulk:, :ultmegaman:, :ultrobin:, :ultlucina:, :ultpalutena:, and the return of :ultmewtwo:, and those were all characters I wanted

but Ultimate had :ultchrom: and :ultjoker:, who were both characters I really wanted, so it's a hard call if you ask me.

Real hard call...

f7cc37bd28e063c0285a37c2faf4804e.jpg

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I was looking at Joker's list of games and realized we have a Smash rep from: Granblue Fantasy, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma, Phantasy Star Online, Catherine, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

As if Katalina wasn't dead already. also does that mean asking for galeem would make you a selfish prick

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

So what you're saying is

We have 9 Fire Emblem characters

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Kinda unfair to rank Smash 64 considering pretty much everyone takes those characters for granted but they're also by far the most essential.

But the others, for me, are Brawl > Ultimate >> Smash 4 >> Melee

For my money, Brawl had great variety (still tied for the most series to get a character), a lot of fan-favourites (people point to Ultimate for that, which is also true, but let's not forget that at one point Wario, Diddy, Dedede... these were the most popular characters. Plus that blue guy.), and the two biggest megatons to date.

Now Ultimate is very close, and still has characters left, so it might be able to close the gap. We'll have to see who they add. But Brawl is pretty steep competition.

I will say the one character who, if they include, might result in me taking Brawl's crown and giving it to Ultimate would be Master Chief, just because of how significant that would be.

Last edited:
With newcomers, I feel like Melee should be given a shoutout just for the sheer amount of iconic movesets/playstyles it brought to the table. Marth, Roy, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Shiek, Falco, and Ganondorf all started here.

I don't think it's the most impressive newcomer roster in terms of characters themselves, but it introduced a lot of fan favorite movesets that have been copied in other platform fighters over time.

My personal pick would be Brawl, though. A lot of characters I play were introduced there, like Toon Link, Lucas, and Ike. I wish I liked Lucario's playstyle more, cause he's real cool.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
In a way, yes, but Adol is still seen as Falcom's poster child in a few circles. Rean is... more of a hunch as I think they'd go with the current protagonist - and to my knowledge CS seems to have led the series to become more popular in comparison to Sky.

...which sucks imo, because I vastly prefer Estelle lol. But I guess I still have some hope somewhere.
I haven't played much Ys (the only one I've played is Origin), so I don't know that much about Adol, but in regard to the Rean vs. Estelle discussion, I could see it going either way, but Terry being picked as an SNK rep gives me a sliver of hope that they could go with Estelle over Rean.

Terry in some ways is in a similar situation to Estelle in the context of their larger franchises. Terry was the protagonist of the original Fatal Fury games (and the last one of those was in '99), and in KoF, Kyo Kusanagi takes over as the lead protag, even though Terry stays relevant by being a playable character. Likewise, while Estelle's role as the lead ended with Sky SC, she remains relevant in the larger Trails storyline (ranging from being name-dropped in some Cold Steel games, to actually showing up and being playable in Crossbell and late Cold Steel, to being a major party member in Sky the 3rd since that's technically Kevin's game).

So while they could pick Rean because he's the protagonist of the newest and biggest game in the franchise like they did with Joker & Byleth, I could see them pulling a Terry and going with the original lead.

granted this is assuming they even pick a Falcom rep and go with Trails over Ys but still. Either way it sure ain't gonna be Lloyd Bannings

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I will say the one character who, if they include, might result in me taking Brawl's crown and giving it to Ultimate would be Master Chief, just because of how significant that would be.
Yeah I'm gonna agree with this. If they add any mascot competitor like Master Chief, Kratos, or Gordon Freeman then that would easily make me choose Ultimate's newcomers as my favorites of all time. I feel like one of these three just has to get in for Ultimate to actually expand it's crossover aspect to a whole new level.

D

Deleted member

smash 4 brought in shulk xenoblade and cloud strife from final fantasy 7 for the original playstation so personally i think it is the best smash bros game.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Kinda unfair to rank Smash 64 considering pretty much everyone takes those characters for granted but they're also by far the most essential.

For my money, Brawl had great variety (still tied for the most series to get a character), a lot of fan-favourites (people point to Ultimate for that, which is also true, but let's not forget that at one point Wario, Diddy, Dedede... these were the most popular characters. Plus that blue guy.), and the two biggest megatons to date.

Now Ultimate is very close, and still has characters left, so it might be able to close the gap. We'll have to see who they add. But Brawl is pretty steep competition.

I second this. And tbh, the five third parties in Sm4sh are pretty much the only reason I'd rank its newcomers above Melee.

Melee gave us characters like Bowser, Peach, Zelda and Mewtwo, as well as some wild picks like G&W, Icies and the one we now take for granted, but at the time was a left field choice... FE. Sure, some movesets and design decisions aged better than others, but for its age, it's a very solid roster.

I haven't played much Ys (the only one I've played is Origin), so I don't know that much about Adol, but in regard to the Rean vs. Estelle discussion, I could see it going either way, but Terry being picked as an SNK rep gives me a sliver of hope that they could go with Estelle over Rean.

Terry in some ways is in a similar situation to Estelle in the context of their larger franchises. Terry was the protagonist of the original Fatal Fury games (and the last one of those was in '99), and in KoF, Kyo Kusanagi takes over as the lead protag, even though Terry stays relevant by being a playable character. Likewise, while Estelle's role as the lead ended with Sky SC, she remains relevant in the larger Trails storyline (ranging from being name-dropped in some Cold Steel games, to actually showing up and being playable in Crossbell and late Cold Steel, to being a major party member in Sky the 3rd since that's technically Kevin's game).

So while they could pick Rean because he's the protagonist of the newest and biggest game in the franchise like they did with Joker & Byleth, I could see them pulling a Terry and going with the original lead.

granted this is assuming they even pick a Falcom rep and go with Trails over Ys but still. Either way it sure ain't gonna be Lloyd Bannings
I suppose - I just think it's a lot of situational choices leading up to picking Estelle from Trails of all possibilities inside Falcom, out of all possible third party companies.

If it happened, I'd pop off for sure, though.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That's actually an interesting can of worms.

Like Monster Hunter, Style Saavy technically has a song listed under the "Misc" tab. Would that be the first series to ever have its song 'upgraded' from a non-series to an actual series?
Don't forget Golden Sun, either. Isaac's a popular request and may have a new game on the way (We hope so, at least), but it depends on how willing the devs are to change the files. Obviously, Isaac isn't going to be held back by a single track that isn't even his own battle theme, but it's still interesting to think about how that would turn out.

Isn't the GS battle theme one of the main songs for a stage? Or am I remembering wrong? I don't think Golden Sun's tracks would be tucked away in the Miscellaneous category if Isaac became playable, so how would that play out?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isn't the GS battle theme one of the main songs for a stage? Or am I remembering wrong? I don't think Golden Sun's tracks would be tucked away in the Miscellaneous category if Isaac became playable, so how would that play out?
It's a Monster Hunter song that's a main song for a stage. Specifically, Find Mii.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's a Monster Hunter song that's a main song for a stage. Specifically, Find Mii.
Yeah, thought so. I remember playing that stage with the Golden Sun track with friends once, since I felt it was fitting. I suppose it would be simpler to just remove the track from one list and put it into another, if that's the case.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm biased because a lot of my faves got in during that game but I love how creative and crazy Smash 4's newcomers could be. You have characters who don't have anything to do with fighting, a lot of new genres and franchises, a bonkers set of third party newcomers, make-your-own-fighter as Miis etc.

Also, that's more of a neat detail but I like the focus on female newcomers, intentional or not. Still the best in the series.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Gotta give it to Ultimate. It added so many longtime fan favorites: :ultbanjokazooie:, :ultkrool:, :ultridley:, :ultsimon:, :ultdaisy:, as well as :ulthero: for Japan. And you also have characters who more recently became requests, like :ultinkling:, :ultchrom:, and to a lesser extent, :ultisabelle:. And I find myself LOVING some of the more out-there picks, too. :ultincineroar:, :ultpiranha:, :ultjoker:, :ultbyleth:, :ultminmin... All easily some of my favorite characters to play. Here's hoping the rest of the DLC really hits it out of the park! If we get one more fan fave such as Geno, Waluigi, Sora, Crash, Steve, Master Chief, Dante... That would be the perfect cherry on top.

Also lol, an SMT rep is hardly too many, especially since Joker only came with Persona content. And I don't consider two characters to be too many per franchise, except maybe for small ones that only have one good candidate. SMT/Persona have many characters who could be good additions

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
They'd probably just list the Golden Sun medley in both the generic track list and the DLC specific one, honestly. It'd be absurd to no longer be able to hear a song on a stage it was before just because of arbitrary reclassifcations.
...like not being able to play most Super Mario World music on a Super Mario World stage, for instance.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah I'm gonna agree with this. If they add any mascot competitor like Master Chief, Kratos, or Gordon Freeman then that would easily make me choose Ultimate's newcomers as my favorites of all time. I feel like one of these three just has to get in for Ultimate to actually expand it's crossover aspect to a whole new level.
Now see, the thing that, to me, sets Chief apart from the other two, is that, firstly, Gordon Freeman is pretty much the mascot for Valve, and sort of PC gaming as a whole, but Valve (and PC gaming) isn't really a competitor in the same way the other two of the "big three" are. Like, Half-Life has shown up on both Xbox and Playstation. A real Valve game showing up on Switch would be big, but not really in the same way as a Halo or Uncharted or something.

And the other is, I guess Kratos is the Sony mascot, but Sony doesn't really have a mascot, if you know what I mean. He's just sort of been a consistently highly prominent character. But at other points Crash, Sackboy, Nathan Drake, they've all had time where they were what people considered "the mascot".

Master Chief is indisputably, and has forever been the mascot for Xbox, and Microsoft is a competitor in a much more real way than Valve is, even with them collaborating with Nintendo these days. So, idk, ymmv, perhaps you see it differently, but that's why I see him as sort of a higher magnitude than the others. Though the other two are still definitely big deals, and getting them would be no small feat.

I mean getting a Sony character would be crazy just on the basis of Sony cooperating with someone.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Smash 4 easily had my favorite line up of newcomers.

:ultmegaman::ultcloud::ultbayonetta: Are definitely still my favorite Smash reveals to this day, and :ultlucina::ultrosalina::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultpalutena: were also pretty nice.

---------------

Comparatively, the only hype inclusions for me for Ultimate were :ultsimon::ultrichter:, and beyond that the only characters that I got any satisfaction from seeing included are :ultinkling::ultbyleth::ultkrool::ultminmin

----------------

As for Brawl, :ultike: was pretty hype for me, and I liked :ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultdiddy:too. I never really could get into Sonic games much (except Mania, that one was dope), so :ultsonic: wasn't honestly that personally exciting for me, but I could still kind of appreciate him in the same way I did Pac-Man's inclusion in 4, that being that seeing such a huge iconic character make it into Smash is pretty damn neat.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
like not being able to play most Super Mario World music on a Super Mario World stage, for instance.
Imagine composing a remix of Mario World music for that stage for Smash 4 only to have it be impossible to play on that stage in Ultimate.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think if Golden Sun (or any series that already had music) got a character they'd just yank those two tracks out of Misc. and put them in the Golden Sun section. Which would play on the Golden Sun stage instead of those it played on when there was no Golden Sun stage.

Doesn't seem like a real puzzler, this one.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Oh yeah, today's "Spirit day". Completely forgot.

We'll have to keep an eye on Paper Mario for a few weeks. I know Spirits are sort of in a hazy spot right now, but it'd be nice if Origami King didn't get Spirits, if only so PM could get some more discussion.

Course, I know there's just as many people praying we do get Spirits for the opposite reason.
Honestly, I don’t feel like Paper Mario has a chance because Nintendo doesn’t seem to really care about that game. They announced it in a random Twitter post two months before it came out.

It’s also one of those Switch games that just feels sort of meh & seems like something Nintendo made just to have a name brand series in lull periods.

Kirby: Star Allies & Yoshi’s Crafted World are similar games. They’re not necessarily bad, but they seem more kiddy oriented, bland & uninspired; Nintendo doesn’t put a lot of effort into marketing these games either.

Compare those three to Smash Ultimate, Mario Odyssey, BOTW or even Luigi’s Mansion 3 & Three Houses. There’s a world of difference.

Because I'm a shooter noob, does it make sense for Master Chief to have traps like mines or something? It feels like I see a lot of Halo clips that have people placing stuff on the ground as cover. Maybe a wall that eats projectiles? IDK, spitballing about something I know literally nothing about.
Halo 3 has a good arsenal of “equipment” that’s like that. The Bubble Shield protects you from all outside projectiles. There’s Trip Mines. & there’s the Grav Lift, which would continue the Smash tradition of Mascot characters having an Up-B that just lifts them up lol

As for which game has the best roster selection I’d go:

Brawl > Ultimate > 4 > Melee

Brawl is what really made the roster juicy. You got Melee’s obvious additions out of the way & they really got to add all of the fun/cool side characters. It added most of my favorite Nintendo characters (:dedede::wario::metaknight::diddy:), it added some cool characters I’d end up loving later (:ike::pit:) & it started Third Parties with two characters who are arguably still two of the best additions (:sonic::snake:). It’s a damn near perfect smaller roster.

I’m loving most of Ultimate’s roster so far. :ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultridley: :ultsimon: are dreams come true. :ultjoker::ult_terry: are two amazing picks I never saw coming. & I like everyone else besides :ultpiranha:. Though, the Nintendo side of the roster doesn’t have the same Oomph as Brawl’s additions, which they could never do since Brawl added all of the best Nintendo side characters lol.

Smash 4’s roster was solid, but like I just said it wasn’t going to be able to live up to Brawl’s. :4villager: was needed. :4littlemac::4lucina::4robinm::4duckhunt: were all cool; especially Lucina who’s (hot take) better than Marth. The real hype for me came from :4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4bayonetta::4cloud:. MM, Pac-Man, Ryu & Cloud were the obvious 3rd party choices after Sonic/Snake & I’m glad they went the obvious route.

Melee’s newcomers weren’t bad but it was just the characters that sort of *had* to come next. There wasn’t really room for any of the cooler side characters since we had to get mainstays like :bowsermelee::peachmelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee: first. All necessary & deserving additions but not exciting either.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think if Golden Sun (or any series that already had music) got a character they'd just yank those two tracks out of Misc. and put them in the Golden Sun section. Which would play on the Golden Sun stage instead of those it played on when there was no Golden Sun stage.

Doesn't seem like a real puzzler, this one.
nah you don't understand, i NEED to play felix's battle theme in the living room. what am i gonna do without it, listen to music more appropriate for a stage involving puppies and kittens playing in the background?

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I would give the best newcomers award to Brawl if not for the fact that a DQ rep singlehandedly beats everything else combined so ult wins.
But yeah, at the time of Brawl's release it didn't feel like anything was "missing" to me; Most of the most recognizable Nintendo characters that existed at the time were either playable or had some kind of somewhat reasonable excuse for not being playable. Meanwhile, third parties were all exceptions rather than the norm, so I couldn't really think of any more as missing.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Now see, the thing that, to me, sets Chief apart from the other two, is that, firstly, Gordon Freeman is pretty much the mascot for Valve, and sort of PC gaming as a whole, but Valve (and PC gaming) isn't really a competitor in the same way the other two of the "big three" are. Like, Half-Life has shown up on both Xbox and Playstation. A real Valve game showing up on Switch would be big, but not really in the same way as a Halo or Uncharted or something.

And the other is, I guess Kratos is the Sony mascot, but Sony doesn't really have a mascot, if you know what I mean. He's just sort of been a consistently highly prominent character. But at other points Crash, Sackboy, Nathan Drake, they've all had time where they were what people considered "the mascot".

Master Chief is indisputably, and has forever been the mascot for Xbox, and Microsoft is a competitor in a much more real way than Valve is, even with them collaborating with Nintendo these days. So, idk, ymmv, perhaps you see it differently, but that's why I see him as sort of a higher magnitude than the others. Though the other two are still definitely big deals, and getting them would be no small feat.

I mean getting a Sony character would be crazy just on the basis of Sony cooperating with someone.
Nah I get what you mean. Valve isn't really a competitor but it's more so centered around PC since they watched over the development of the platform until it became what it is thanks to Steam, PC in general isn't really a competitor but it's a different platform of gaming.

Sony doesn't really have a definitive mascot but Kratos is the only consistent Sony character that stuck around for so long through many different generations and didn't get dropped by Sony, whether that's due to pure luck, circumstances, or whatever. Chief has been the mascot of Xbox since day one so I get why he seems like the bigger deal since he's set in stone as Xbox's mascot forever.

Regardless, any of those three getting in would be pure insanity. And you know what? I think Smash does need some insanity.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

I agree with you. Brawl probably had the more important set of newcomers for the series in terms of scale and rep. Brawl had tons of variety and with them adding Snake and Sonic, the floodgates to the impossible were opened that Smash 4 and Ultimate capitalized on. I also agree that if Ultimate adds Master Chief (or Dante in my opinion), Ultimate will win the award for best set of newcomers due to the sheer impact someone like Chief would bring.

Smash 4's newcomers are great but I do understand why some may consider them hit & miss. Melee's was a natural step forward for the series in who they picked but not much else.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
nah you don't understand, i NEED to play felix's battle theme in the living room. what am i gonna do without it, listen to music more appropriate for a stage involving puppies and kittens playing in the background?
Hey, it's news to me that you dorks listen to anything other than Megalovania on the misc stages. :p

Nah I get what you mean. Valve isn't really a competitor but it's more so centered around PC since they watched over the development of the platform until it became what it is thanks to Steam, PC in general isn't really a competitor but it's a different platform of gaming.

Sony doesn't really have a definitive mascot but Kratos is the only consistent Sony character that stuck around for so long through many different generations and didn't get dropped by Sony, whether that's due to pure luck, circumstances, or whatever. Chief has been the mascot of Xbox since day one so I get why he seems like the bigger deal since he's set in stone as Xbox's mascot forever.

Regardless, any of those three getting in would be pure insanity. And you know what? I think Smash does need some insanity.
True, if there's one thing missing from the fanbase, it's insanity. :teeth:

ZelDan

Smash Master
IF Isaac were to be added in Smash, I would honestly love to see how they'd remix certain songs.

Hopefully much better than the Felix theme/Doom Dragon theme remix, because honestly I've never liked it and feel it butchered both tunes. But maybe that's just me.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
I don’t really see what difference it makes.

It got spirits within two weeks of it coming out, which is consistent with most other spirit events.

Three Houses and Devil May Cry did not.

My point was, if the argument is that DMC wouldn’t get spirits because “it’s a port”, Resident Evil disputes that.
Even if you count the RE spirits as promoting those ports, the lack of TH and DMC spirit events are really not comparable situations at all. Three Houses was suspicious because it was one out of only a few Nintendo releases that Smash didn't even acknowledge, and we all know how Sakurai feels about Fire Emblem. I'd say the bigger issue is that there's just too many third party releases for a single exclusion to be suspicious. Yeah, Devil May Cry didn't get a spirit event, but neither did Assassin's Creed, or Ori and the Blind Forest, or Saints Row, or Bioshock, or Guilty Gear, or The Last Remnant, or Borderlands, or Super Monkey Ball, and that's just naming a few. If we had spirit events for Dragon's Dogma, Okami, Ace Attorney, and Onimusha, but no DMC, then yeah, that'd be suspicious, but I don't think there's enough there to take it as meaning anything.

charliexbuster

Smash Rookie
I think Zero should be an Echo Fighter for Megaman. I also want Megaman X as an additional fighter in this game. I would recommend Amy Rose as a fighter. I also like to see Tails as a fighter and Shadow as a fighter. Any chance of these happening?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my ranking of all the newcomer sets:
  • Brawl: I don't think there will ever be a step as big for Smash as Brawl was. It did a fantastic job in filling out the supporting casts of Nintendo's various franchises with both long-overdue additions like :warioc:, :diddy:, and :dedede: and new faces like :ike:, :lucas:, and :zerosuitsamus:. Brawl's newcomers made Smash feel like a true inter-Nintendo crossover for the first time, where most series had (almost) all their big players. Even then, Brawl found some time to experiment with unconventional ideas like :pt: and :rob:. Top it off with breaking the third-party barrier through the massive additions of :snake: and :sonic:, there's not a single newcomer in Brawl's roster that I don't love.
  • Ultimate: While Ultimate's strength lies more in the overall size and scale of its roster, I'd still say it has the best newcomer set after Brawl. It's really hard not to appreciate that just about every newcomer was, in one way or another, a fan request. :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, and :ultbanjokazooie: are the obvious examples, but additions like :ultsimon:, :ulthero3:, :ultinkling:, and :ultisabelle: also deserve some attention for fulfilling a particular set of fan wishes. Ultimate even uses it echo slots well, giving popular characters like :ultdaisy:, :ultchrom:, and :ultdarksamus: a path to the battle when they otherwise wouldn't have one! While I'm not a huge fan of every pick conceptually, and think some characters would be better than what we got to represent their games, it's hard to deny Ultimate's not wild.
  • Smash for Wii U/3DS: I was honestly pretty torn about whether to put this above or below Ultimate, but I opted to give Ultimate the edge. That being said, the Wii U/3DS additions are nothing short of fantastic for the most part. While Brawl did a great job filling out the series already in Smash, Smash for did an excellent job introducing new, modern(ish) series through the likes of :4villager:, :4littlemac:, :4wiifit:, and :4shulk:. Likewise, although the newcomers from pre-established series were somewhat limited both in number and distribution, we still got a lot cool faces like :4robinm:, :4greninja:, :4bowserjr:, and :4palutena:. Plus, between :4megaman:, :4pacman:, :4ryu:, and :4cloud:, Smash for still has the best new third party additions of any Smash game thus far. That being said, Smash for just sort of lacks the "wow factor" that Brawl and Ultimate have with their newcomers.
  • 64: It's kinda hard to rank 64, seeing how it's the base for every other character addition. However, attempting to evaluate 64 in a vacuum, it's a pretty great roster for a Nintendo crossover. Obviously, big faces like :mario64:, :link64:, and :pikachu64: have to be included and take up the majority of the character choices, but there's still some creativity through unconventional picks like :falcon64:, :ness64:, and :jigglypuff64:. I just think it somewhat struggles to standout from its predecessors due to the burden of having to introduce the really obvious characters.
  • Melee: Now, this is very much a case of "It's not bad, just my least favourite", but I think Melee's newcomers are the weakest of the bunch. Melee largely does a great job balancing itself between popular must-haves like :peachmelee:, :bowsermelee:, :marthmelee:, and :mewtwomelee: and unique, unconsidered options like :zeldamelee:, :gawmelee:, and :icsmelee:. However, a lot of Melee's choices have aged somewhat poorly. Let's be frank, if it wasn't for Melee striking while the iron was hot and making them into series staples, would anyone really be calling for the likes of :sheikmelee:, :roymelee:, or :pichumelee: to join Smash in 2020? That's not to say those characters are bad, but they do somewhat stick out to the more evergreen approach that future entries would largely take in adding characters. Likewise, while future games have done a great job distinguishing Melee's clones, having only eight wholly original characters does make Melee's roster seem a bit underwhelming relative to the rest of the series.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As far as Smash reveals by game

:link64:-first character I picked, and seeing as I barely played this iteration of Smash (since I never actually owned an N64) probably the only character I played. I enjoyed playing OoT and MM at Wal-mart a lot when my mom was shopping at the time so I gravitated to using him. Still to this day Link is my #1!

:falcomelee::roymelee:-After Link these guys were in my Top 3 most used. None of these characters were really "hype" for me, maybe with the exception of :mewtwomelee:since I was playing a ton of Pokemon at the time and it was quite a shock to see him in the game. :zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee: probably would've been more hype for me had I actually finished OoT at the time....thanks for the spoilers SAKURAI!!!! O:<

Brawl - :snake::sonic: Snake was more confusing to me than hype, because "Huh? Snake? Really? Okay" *shrugs* But it was still pretty hype to get a non-nintendo character, as for Sonic, he was where speculation was focusing on at the time, and it only boosted once Snake was revealed to open the doors to the possibility. That said these were characters I wasn't exactly rooting for personally as I was a heavy advocate for Dark Samus and Midna since at the time I was really hitting my stride as a Metroid and Zelda fan playing the crap out of the Primes and Gamecube Zeldas. But despite not getting Dark Samus :zerosuitsamus:was the character I never knew I wanted, playing as Samus without her suit it was like mindblowing at the time. :ike:was super fun as well, but mainly because ma boi was MIA so I had strong marth as a substitute for fire marth. :ganondorf: really? spoiling another Zelda game, Sakurai?

Sm4sh - :4cloud:by a long shot was my favourite reveal considering I've wanted him since forever. Third best behind my :4link: and :4zss: (actually freaking loved her changes in this game) which rounded out my blonde-haired blue-eyed monster slayers quite nicely. Honourable mention to :4greninja: actually as he was a heavily used character in the early days of Sm4sh. :4lucina: oh look more spoilers! :4feroy:ma boi's back tho!

Ultimate - :ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultbanjokazooie::ultminmin I legitimately never imagined I'd get this spoiled in a single Smash game (and with 5 fighters left there's still a chance for a couple other hopefuls to add to that). Ridley and Dark Samus were both in my Top 3 most wanted characters since Brawl (rip Midna T_T), Banjo was in and out of my Top 10-15 and I remember thinking he was such a big omission from 64 and Melee, so I'm happy to see him come home finally (even if I was spoiled before I could properly see his reveal) As for Min Min, she's obviously the most recent character out of everyone and while "Springman was the guy if we get an Arms fighter" I just really wanted Min Min so she felt like such a pipedream pick...now here I am bodying people with Megaton :demon: She's easily one of my best characters already and she hasn't even been out for a month at this point.

Should go without saying that for me personally Ultimate wins by a TOO BIG 4 SMASH phazon-infested jiggy noodle landslide :p

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I got to thinking of all the First Party franchises in Smash with either a stage or a character (or both).

The First Party franchises with characters are...

• Super Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Metroid
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Star Fox
  • Pokemon
  • Earthbound
  • F-Zero
  • Ice Climber
  • Fire Emblem
  • Game & Watch
  • Kid Icarus
  • Wario Ware / Wario Land
  • Pikmin
  • R.O.B.
  • Animal Crossing
  • Wii Fit
  • Punch Out!!
  • Mii (Also counts for Super Smash Bros.)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Duck Hunt
  • Splatoon
  • ARMS
That's 25 different franchises. 26 if you count the Miis are Super Smash Bros. characters

To add to that, here are the first party franchises with only stages...

• Electroplankton
  • Pictochat
  • Balloon Fight
  • Nintendogs
  • Find Mii
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Pilotwings
  • Wii Sports
That's 9 more franchises, making a total of 34 (or 35 if you count Smash).

Why list the franchises like this?Well I'm trying to think of the largest first party franchises not included in either category.

Now that ARMS has a character, I think the largest Nintendo franchises that could feasibly include a character that don't have on are currently...

• Golden Sun
  • Advance Wars (Famicom Wars, Battalion Wars)
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Astral Chain
  • Dragalia Lost
  • Ring Fit Adventure
The largest franchises that couldn't feasibly include a character are...
  • Brain Age
  • Excite (Excitebike, Excitetruck Excitebots)
  • Style Savvy
  • Wii Play
  • Tetris (Eh.... kinda of Nintendo owned)
I tried to limit these picks to franchises who either had constant smaller entries or at least one big more successful entry. Do you agree that these are the largest franchises without a character/stage? Do you see any of these IPs as possible additions?
Let’s not forget

•Wii Party
•Big Brain Academy
•Pro Wrestling

Party Phil, Dr. Lobe and Fighter Hayabusa for Smash!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So I'm going to rate every Smash bros newcomer:

64: Well, there's not a lot to say about that one, because it's the first games. If I had to pick 12 Nintendo characters myself in 1999, I would have probably pick the exact same. Aside from Ness there's really no huge surprise but it gets the job done.

Melee: I actually feel pretty mixed on Melee's newcomer. On one part, you have some obvious choice like Zelda, Ganondorf, Bowser, Peach and Mewtwo. Also Game & watch and Marth are really welcome surprise imo. But Ice climbers is a weird pick for a retro rep. and there's also too many clones (Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young link).

Brawl: Now we're in the good stuff. Brawl is the perfect mix of fan favorite (diddy kong, Pit, Meta knight and Dedede). They also add Ike, Zero suit and Wario, all very popular Nintendo characters. To top it off, we had Olimar to represent one of Nintendo newest franchises at the time and our first third party: Snake and Sonic. I honestly have nothing negative to say about Brawl newcomer. In 2008, this was really the Nintendo all stars, it felt like nothing was missing for me.

Smash 4: I think Smash 4 first party newcomer are pretty weak. Villager Wii fit and Shulk are great aditions but I didn't really care about the others. At first I thought that Bowser jr. was a really odd choice but he kind of grew on me. Duck hunt is a genius retro rep tho. Smash 4 really shines with his third party: Mega man, Bayonetta, Cloud and Ryu where all pipe dream characters. Characters that I didn't think would ever join Smash. What I respect with Smash 4 is that despite being the 4th game, it still manage to add a lot of new franchises (Melee add 3, Brawl add 3 new first party franchise and 2 third party and Smash 4 add 5 first party franchise and 5 third party franchise).

Ultimate: Ultimate adds a lot of fan favorites like Ridley, K. rool, Banjo and the Belmont. Inkling was an obvious pick and the third party are mostly great, but nothing fort now really blew my mind like Smash 4 third party did (aside maybe from Banjo).

It's actually hard to rank them because the context is so different for every game but I'm going to say overall Brawl > Ultimate > Smash 4 > 64 > Melee.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Even if you count the RE spirits as promoting those ports, the lack of TH and DMC spirit events are really not comparable situations at all. Three Houses was suspicious because it was one out of only a few Nintendo releases that Smash didn't even acknowledge, and we all know how Sakurai feels about Fire Emblem. I'd say the bigger issue is that there's just too many third party releases for a single exclusion to be suspicious. Yeah, Devil May Cry didn't get a spirit event, but neither did Assassin's Creed, or Ori and the Blind Forest, or Saints Row, or Bioshock, or Guilty Gear, or The Last Remnant, or Borderlands, or Super Monkey Ball, and that's just naming a few. If we had spirit events for Dragon's Dogma, Okami, Ace Attorney, and Onimusha, but no DMC, then yeah, that'd be suspicious, but I don't think there's enough there to take it as meaning anything.
While you have a point, it should be noted that Devil May Cry 3 is a special edition exclusive. It has changes made to it that fans of the series have been asking for for years. In a similar fashion, Dragon Quest XIS is a definitive edition.

There's also the fact that Itsuno specifically said that "Dante should appear on Nintendo consoles before being in Smash" which was followed by Dante and Devil May Cry coming to Switch with a special edition for the most popular/considered best game in the series.

It's circumstantial, yes. Could it amount to nothing? Also yes. However, again, while all those games were ported they don't have that additional circumstantial evidence around them.

I don't think they're going to have spirit events for every game that comes to Switch, but at the very least I would say that having nothing for a Switch Exclusive Special Edition game is at least a bit sus compared to the many games you listed that do not have that distinction.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
RATING NEWCOMS
64: A bunch of classic folks but I stand by the fact that :jigglypuff64: is one of the dumbest additions to the series. I kinda love it?
Melee: Again more classics and characters that belong but :drmario::younglinkmelee::pichumelee: are my least favorite characters in the smash series. Again I kinda love how dumb they are.
Brawl: :sonic: alone makes it one of my favorites
SM4SH: :4lucina:, :4robinm: and :4mii: were my most wanted followed by :4shulk:, :4greninja: and:4palutena:. :4cloud: and :4bayonetta: were just a bonus but I loved them too
Ultimate: I didn't really care for :ultkrool: or :ultridley: but :ultisabelle: alone made me love this set of newcomers and they just kept coming with :ultjoker::ulthero: and :ultminmin and we are still getting at least 5 more

With DLC included my ranking goes Ult>Sm4sh>Brawl>Melee>64

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Really surprised that there wasn't a Paper Mario spirit event announced today. And I'm still waiting on that Xenoblade DE spirit event too.

Man I wish they added new spirits quicker, not because I hate certain games/series or anything; but I would love to see more series get represented in Smash. Even if they are just spirits, it's still better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom