• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Oh yeah, today's "Spirit day". Completely forgot.

We'll have to keep an eye on Paper Mario for a few weeks. I know Spirits are sort of in a hazy spot right now, but it'd be nice if Origami King didn't get Spirits, if only so PM could get some more discussion.

Course, I know there's just as many people praying we do get Spirits for the opposite reason.

ZelDan

Smash Master
"A SECOND MegaTen rep? That's way too much! That'd never happen! They're not different enough to justify an inclusion!"
"Eight Fire Emblem characters? That's fine, they each got in on their own merits"

The Smash fanbase sometimes.
I don't think FE and Megaten are entirely comparable, when one is first party and one is third party. That and FE has been in Smash since Melee while megaten only got in more recently with Ultimate.

That said I agree it;s silly to think that a SMT can't get in because Persona is already in. and even if we wanted to connect both of the franchises, I don't think there's anything really wrong with expanding upon existing third parties already in Smash.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Assuming Ryu ain't Playable at least. I still think he could be Playable (not Predicting him though), and honestly His Home Franchise potentially being relevant again helps him.

But yeah, if he wasn't Playable, I'd expect his Mii Costume with Microsoft character, or Perhaps Koei Rage quit and there's no Ryu Costume because Nintendo Chose Dante and Koei doesn't like Capcom

Let's say for some reason Nintendo Wanted Dante over Ryu. Let's say Ryu was planned for the game, but then they saw how popular Dante was getting and Nintendo was like "We want Devil Pizza Man Instead" because Nintendo thought Dante and Ryu would fill the Same Niche (Stylized Action game stars), so Koei got salty, and didn't allow Nintendo no Ryu Costume
So basically you're saying that "Nintendo wants Ryu, Koei Tecmo happy, Nintendo actually wants Capcom's Dante, Koei Tecmo angry, no Ryu mii costume"

But also "Yes Ryu Hayabusa mii costume because his newest game is seemingly an Xbox exclusive"

... ... ...

YEAH! IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!
Yo we splittin over here.gif

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Course, I know there's just as many people praying we do get Spirits for the opposite reason.
My only reasons for it is "**** Origami King" tbvh fam. Legit regret buying it rn, it doesn't feels right at all. Paper Mario is the shell of it's past self now and it's a shame. :bobomb:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Based on my comment from awhile back, new releases have typically gotten spirits within 2 weeks of their release. This is consistent with Resident Evil 5 & 6, (releasing on Switch), Animal Crossing New Horizons, Daemon X Machina, Super Mario Party, Pokemon Sword & Shield, among others. However, not getting spirits shortly after release isn't a failsafe, considering Ring Fit Adventure and Astral Chain received spirits after substantial time had passed.

Two major releases that didn't receive spirits after their release are Fire Emblem Three Houses and Devil May Cry 1-3 (with 3 being a special edition). Three Houses obviously has Byleth as a playable character, but it'll be interesting to see how the rest of it plays out. (Also before somebody says DMC1-3 were ports, so were all of the Resident Evil games, and they got Spirits).

There are a few exceptions. Octopath Traveler received spirits for an anniversary, and Link's Awakening received spirits prior to release.

So for Paper Mario, there could be spirits today or MAYBE next Tuesday. There's also the fact that some characters just...don't get spirits. There's potential for someone to argue, "Who would be in a spirit battle as origami characters?" which is potentially a fair question, especially because we already have Paper Mario as I (believe) a summonable spirit.

It'll be an interesting situation and discussion going forward if we don't get TOK spirits.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"A SECOND MegaTen rep? That's way too much! That'd never happen! They're not different enough to justify an inclusion!"
"Eight Fire Emblem characters? That's fine, they each got in on their own merits"

The Smash fanbase sometimes.
Bruh DarthEnderX thinks Robin could work as a Marth alt, he's clearly not the latter.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So, to change topic a bit, I just found this template online about most wanted fighters to each big third party (not sure why Platinum is there tho because they don't really have any ip to them but wathever). It would be fun if other use share it (or if you don't want to to the montage just reply through text).
Konami: Frogger
SEGA: Sakura Shinguji
Capcom: Jill Valentine
Bandai Namco: Dig Dug
Square Enix: Sora
ATLUS: Jack Frost
Microsoft: Any of the Battletoads
SNK: Pass
Highly Requested: Crash Bandicoot
Unlikely: Pass

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

We'll have to keep an eye on Paper Mario for a few weeks. I know Spirits are sort of in a hazy spot right now, but it'd be nice if Origami King didn't get Spirits, if only so PM could get some more discussion.

Tbh, I think it'll be more than just a few weeks. We did get the Ring Fit and Astral Chain Spirits after a long time had passed since launch.* So even if we don't get the OK event now, it could be weeks or even months down the line.

* There was also Octopath, but that's a third party event, so I'm not sure we can hold it to the same standards.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Joining the train because bored

Konami: Bomberman
Sega: Kiryu
Capcom: Phoenix
Bamco: let's go with Lloyd
Squee: uhh Geno
Atlus (so, Sega again): I guess Flynn
Microsoft: the Chief
SNK: Kyo or all the Metal Slug guys as alts
Highly requested: Layton
Pipe dream: hmmmm Marina from Mischief Makers

So basically you're saying that "Nintendo wants Ryu, Koei Tecmo happy, Nintendo actually wants Capcom's Dante, Koei Tecmo angry, no Ryu mii costume"

But also "Yes Ryu Hayabusa mii costume because his newest game is seemingly an Xbox exclusive"

... ... ...

View attachment 279627
This is your best use of Cortez yet, you keep topping yourself good sir.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

... ... ...

View attachment 279627
One of these days you'll turn Cortez into the next Waluigi, I can tell.

SKX31

Smash Master
Based on my comment from awhile back, new releases have typically gotten spirits within 2 weeks of their release. This is consistent with Resident Evil 5 & 6, (releasing on Switch), Animal Crossing New Horizons, Daemon X Machina, Super Mario Party, Pokemon Sword & Shield, among others. However, not getting spirits shortly after release isn't a failsafe, considering Ring Fit Adventure and Astral Chain received spirits after substantial time had passed.

Two major releases that didn't receive spirits after their release are Fire Emblem Three Houses and Devil May Cry 1-3 (with 3 being a special edition). Three Houses obviously has Byleth as a playable character, but it'll be interesting to see how the rest of it plays out. (Also before somebody says DMC1-3 were ports, so were all of the Resident Evil games, and they got Spirits).

There are a few exceptions. Octopath Traveler received spirits for an anniversary, and Link's Awakening received spirit prior to release.

So for Paper Mario, there could be spirits today or MAYBE next Tuesday. There's also the fact that some characters just...don't get spirits. There's potential for someone to argue, "Who would be in a spirit battle as origami characters?" which is potentially a fair question, especially because we already have Paper Mario as I (believe) a summonable spirit.

It'll be an interesting situation and discussion going forward if we don't get TOK spirits.
Just checked the Summon menu, yes Paper Mario's a summonable Spirit. Cut Man + Cardboard Box + a Neutral Type Core: the Paper Mario Spirit is Neutral 3 Star Spirit with Water Weakness. Paper Bowser on the other hand is the stranger decision: 3 Star Spirit that can be enhanced... and his Enhanced 4 Star form (With Curry speciality) is the Sticker Star final boss.

...Why.

The other Paper Mario Spirits are: Kammy Koopa (1 Star), Vivian (2 Star), Shadow Queen (3 Star - summoned by Vivian + Gengar which is kinda odd), Mr. L (2 Star), Dimentio (2 Star), Huey (1 Star) and Papercraft Mario (1 Star, only gettable via Funky's Shop. Doesn't have a Spirit Battle).

Well, they do already have Papercraft Mario in the game, but again, it doesn't have a Spirit Battle. Which indeed makes it a fair question: perhaps they'd go with PictoChat or the Nikki AT for inspiration here? Those two are the closest to the whole paper thing (assuming Paper Mario himself doesn't get in as a character). :ultgnw: looks the part, so he could be a Paper stand-in alongside Mario characters and perhaps Inkling (albeit they'd fit Color Splash characters more). EDIT: I'm struggling to find anything that fits "Origami" so that's why I'm resorting to Paper.

Still though, if a TOK Spirit event doesn't happen, it'll be a kinda interesting discussion. Albeit it's going to be coated in the "Paper Mario's not the same as it used to!" discussions...

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Well, just in case we do, I cooked up a few Spirits:

View attachment 277816
Spirit: 1,000 Fold Arms
Class: :starman::starman:
Spirit Type:
Grab
Effect: Grabs and Throws +

Opponent: :ultminmin
Conditions:

-The enemy favors grabs and throws
-Hostile Assist Trophies (Spring Man) appear
Stage: Paper Mario
Music: Mixed-Up Scramble

View attachment 277817
Spirit:
Olivia
Class: :starman:
Spirit Type:
Support
Effect: Lightweight

Opponent: Tiny :ultgnw:
Conditions:
-The enemy is lightweight
-The enemy will suddenly have a Final Smash
Stage: :hanenbow:
Music: Paper Mario Medley

View attachment 277820
Spirit: Colored Pencils
Class: :starman::starman:
Spirit Type:
Support
Effect: Smoke Ball Equipped

Opponent: Giant :ultdarksamus:
Conditions:

-The enemy favors side specials
-The enemy starts the battle with a Smoke Ball
Stage: Spiral Mountain
Music: Battle! Team Galactic

View attachment 277818
Spirit:
King Olly
Class: :starman::starman::starman:
Spirit Type:
Support
Effect: Jam FS Charge

Opponent: :ultzelda:
Minions: Tiny :ultgnw:x8
Conditions:
-Defeat an army of fighters
-The enemy (:ultzelda:) favors neutral specials
-The enemy (:ultzelda:) will suddenly have a Final Smash
Stage: Princess Peach's Castle
Music: The Grand Finale

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My take on the Smash DLC with this template.
View attachment 279631
This would be a great pass, although I doubt Min Min would be the only first-party of the pass. Given she's the one who starts off the pass, I'm expecting a 50-50 split at least, 4-2 if the next fighter is also first-party. I'd also put Master Chief a bit earlier, so he's not too close to Doomguy. That way, we don't experience green marine overload, and he'd also have been around long enough to show up in Doomguy's trailer. Still, I'd have no complaints with this, even if it doesn't have my most-wanteds.

toonito

Smash Ace
So, to change topic a bit, I just found this template online about most wanted fighters to each big third party (not sure why Platinum is there tho because they don't really have any ip to them but wathever). It would be fun if other use share it (or if you don't want to to the montage just reply through text).
Konami: Bomberman
Sega: Tails
Capcom: Chun-Li
Namco: Heihachi
Square Enix: Sora
PlatinumGames: 2B
Microsoft: Master Chief
SNK: Nakoruru
Highly Requested: Dante
Most Wanted Unlikely: Scorpion

D

Deleted member

So how long till you get people giving the "The pandemic isnt an excuse to give us on news" escuse and act like butts?
I mean, given how the other gaming companies are keeping up, I'll go ahead and say it...

The pandemic is no excuse not to have something ready to show players and shareholders. An excuse for delays? Sure, but to have nothing to show at all? No.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice

There are a few exceptions. Octopath Traveler received spirits for an anniversary, and Link's Awakening received spirits prior to release.

I feel like saying that the RE spirits were done to promote the Switch versions of 5 and 6 is a bit reaching. The event happened two weeks later, only Chris and Wesker are using artwork from those games, nothing about it specifically referenced those games, and it'd be the only time a spirit event was made to coincide with a port like that (unless you count the Trials of Mana remake). In contrast we've had tons of spirit events with seemingly no correlation to any events like River City Ransom and Warframe, so I think it's easier to chalk it up to something like that.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

This week's event: Smash 4-based tourney.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
New Tournament announced.

Edit: Damn, :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

This week's event is the SSB4 newcomer tourney. Edit: Triple :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

This week's event: Smash 4-based tourney.
As the previous games marketing said:

SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Love how exactly 4 people posted the Smash 4 tournament announcement.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

This week's event is the SSB4 newcomer tourney. Edit: Triple :ultgreninja:'d
Man, Smash 4's newcomers are quite memorable. I mean...damn when Cloud was unveiled, the entire Internet lost it's mind.

Cloud, Ryu, Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Greninja, Bayonetta and Robin were the ones that I liked the most.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Wow, gotta say, the Smash 4 tourney came earlier than I expected. So all we have left now is the one for Ultimate, and I bet they'll save that one for after CP11.

Wonder when we'll get that Origami King event, though?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sephiroth looks so tense.

It would be neat to see how Master Chief and Doomguy are differentiated, though.
Funny, I've been wanting to talk about this concept for a while now.

While they have the same concept of "Green demon-slaying space marine," the details are all quite different. Just by looking at them, you'll see different aesthetics: Doomguy is rough and brutish, almost like a high-tech barbarian, while Master Chief's armor is clean, shiny, and cared for-Nothing less would be expected from a space soldier. They're different in terms of gameplay, too-Doom is fast-paced carnage, where you die if you stop moving for just a second, while Halo is slower and more tactical, with added emphasis on taking cover.

Doomguy would be a fast fighter who's surprisingly glassy for someone of his build. He would definitely hit hard, and his guns would be stuff that would compliment his fists in dealing damage, such as the high-power Super Shotgun and the rapid-fire Chaingun. For the sake of simplicity, he would have only one ammo meter, which fills up by dealing damage with his melee-based normals. He might also have an armor gauge as well, to help circumvent his glass cannon status. Like the ammo, it increases by dealing damage, and decreases the amount of knockback he takes. Every hit decreases the armor he has.

Master Chief, on the other hand, would be slower and tankier, with more emphasis on his guns. He'd have a fairly high jump like in his home series, and his run speed would be pretty sluggish, since the series didn't even have a sprint button until Halo 4. His gimmick would be that he uses his firearms in his neutral special, but only one at a time. Each gun has it's own ammo, and once that runs out, he switches to another gun. This is because unlike Doom, where you keep all your weapons, in Halo you can only carry two at once. Like Doomguy, he has armor, but it's static-It gives him a set amount of super armor and breaks after taking enough damage, then only comes back after waiting a while. His other specials would bring in grenades, barriers, and other Halo weapons.

Note that I haven't played Doom or Halo, so I may not have represented them properly.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Funny, I've been wanting to talk about this concept for a while now.

While they have the same concept of "Green demon-slaying space marine," the details are all quite different. Just by looking at them, you'll see different aesthetics: Doomguy is rough and brutish, almost like a high-tech barbarian, while Master Chief's armor is clean, shiny, and cared for-Nothing less would be expected from a space soldier. They're different in terms of gameplay, too-Doom is fast-paced carnage, where you die if you stop moving for just a second, while Halo is slower and more tactical, with added emphasis on taking cover.

Doomguy would be a fast fighter who's surprisingly glassy for someone of his build. He would definitely hit hard, and his guns would be stuff that would compliment his fists in dealing damage, such as the high-power Super Shotgun and the rapid-fire Chaingun. For the sake of simplicity, he would have only one ammo meter, which fills up by dealing damage with his melee-based normals. He might also have an armor gauge as well, to help circumvent his glass cannon status. Like the ammo, it increases by dealing damage, and decreases the amount of knockback he takes. Every hit decreases the armor he has.

Master Chief, on the other hand, would be slower and tankier, with more emphasis on his guns. He'd have a fairly high jump like in his home series, and his run speed would be pretty sluggish, since the series didn't even have a sprint button until Halo 4. His gimmick would be that he uses his firearms in his neutral special, but only one at a time. Each gun has it's own ammo, and once that runs out, he switches to another gun. This is because unlike Doom, where you keep all your weapons, in Halo you can only carry two at once. Like Doomguy, he has armor, but it's static-It gives him a set amount of super armor and breaks after taking enough damage, then only comes back after waiting a while. His other specials would bring in grenades, barriers, and other Halo weapons.

Note that I haven't played Doom or Halo, so I may not have represented them properly.
You did represent them properly, but a full FPS fighter seems like the most hellish thing to represent and balance in a platform party fighting game.

Because I'm a shooter noob, does it make sense for Master Chief to have traps like mines or something? It feels like I see a lot of Halo clips that have people placing stuff on the ground as cover. Maybe a wall that eats projectiles? IDK, spitballing about something I know literally nothing about.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ehh... Seeing at all the Smash 4 newcomers together makes me realize how much better Brawl and Ultimate's roster was for me. First-party picks didn't feel as strong.

Just my personal feelings though. I'm sure there's a few people who liked Smash 4's newcomers more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom