• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
This just came from the Porky thread. What are everyone's thoughts? Real or fake?

The red flag for me is that whoever took the photo decided to focus on the middle of the screen. Even if you're in a rush, you'd try and get Porky in the centre.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
def fake. if it was a vid showing off his moves then surefire yes, but otherwise hard no. this kinda hurts as a porky supporter, to see all these hoaxes...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
this kinda hurts as a porky supporter, to see all these hoaxes...
Truth. But at least he’s getting attention I guess. Even if most of them look fake to begin with.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
def fake. if it was a vid showing off his moves then surefire yes, but otherwise hard no. this kinda hurts as a porky supporter, to see all these hoaxes...
Truth. But at least he’s getting attention I guess. Even if most of them look fake to begin with.
And as long as he doesn't over saturate speculation (which he isn't) then all it serves to do is make people more interested in the character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn’t Dragon Quest XI in development since 2013 and initially announced in 2015 tho? XI S is just an enhanced port. The original was in development for a long time and DQ isn’t as complex gameplay wise as Xenoblade, especially with how 2 changed the way arts are used. Plus, Rex’s design was in beta until 2017. Luminary’s design was probably finalized in 2016.

I might be spitballing tho, but I believe Rex will simply get his chance another day.

Elma, on the other hand...

SKX31

Smash Master
My biggest thing with seeing the Fighter Pass as all 3rd parties, is that it makes the most sense to do that if the goal is to make the game accessible to more fans. Adding Nintendo characters might interest people in their respective games, but it doesn’t draw as many folks people to Smash itself.

It’s not a leap to think a lot of Pokémon fans and Fire Emblem fans own Smash already. It’s also not a stretch when you think why: Fire Emblem and Pokémon are among the franchises with the most content in Smash as a whole. Extensive music selections, a selection of playable characters, different stages...

Compare that to a series with nothing currently in Smash. There’s more potential, more to differentiate from Nintendo series, and more fans to bring in.

One thing I believe fans overlooked is with Reggie’s comments in an IGN interview about Joker, in which he said:
View attachment 231971
To me, when I think about this, why think about video games as a total perspective unless the fighters were coming from franchises that weren’t in Smash already? It’s also noted in that article that Sakurai is looking for characters/series that are “unique, different”. 3rd parties, and genres that aren’t expected in a fighting game, fit that nicely.

We could get a 1st party pick. But if they’re meant to be revealed to market a game in a particular time (sorta like Corrin, whose game was our prior to reveal in Japan, but not in the US), that would be easily missed for Three Houses, as it comes out next Friday, while both Fighter 2 and 3 need to be released.

The only three 1st parties I could see getting a character are Three Houses, Sword and Shield, or Astral Chain. However, I don’t expect it to happen.

My final point is simply that 1st party franchises, unless they are completely new, don’t expand the crossover to the extent that an entirely new 3rd party does, especially when its being added on top of content we already have from the same series.
Fully agree, still one thing:

I think it's worth noting that circumstances can change fast. For example, Tencent (Chinese megacorp) has partnered with Nintendo and aims to officially release the Switch in China. The plans have advanced to the point where they've formed a “Nintendo cooperation department” and are hiring for the department. Now, this could be a bit too late for Tencent themselves this Fighters Pass, but SNK could also benefit from the impending Chinese release. In essence, a SNK rep could work as a "promotional" character mostly here in the West, and "fan demand" in Japan, China (when Smash releases there, it's just a matter of time I bet) and LatAm. Something I think Sari and other SNK fans would welcome.

As for what else happens, who knows? Maybe Tencent gets a bit bold and organizes a League of Legends port to the Switch or whatever, just in time for further Smash DLC or Smash 6. Suddenly, something that looks microscopic now becomes feasible. Feasible, I don't consider it likely (for a whole host of reasons), but still.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Fully agree, still one thing:

I think it's worth noting that circumstances can change fast. For example, Tencent (Chinese megacorp) has partnered with Nintendo and aims to officially release the Switch in China. The plans have advanced to the point where they've formed a “Nintendo cooperation department” and are hiring for the department. Now, this could be a bit too late for Tencent themselves this Fighters Pass, but SNK could also benefit from the impending Chinese release. In essence, a SNK rep could work as a "promotional" character mostly here in the West, and "fan demand" in Japan, China (when Smash releases there, it's just a matter of time I bet) and LatAm. Something I think Sari and other SNK fans would welcome.

As for what else happens, who knows? Maybe Tencent gets a bit bold and organizes a League of Legends port to the Switch or whatever, just in time for further Smash DLC or Smash 6. Suddenly, something that looks microscopic now becomes feasible. Feasible, I don't consider it likely (for a whole host of reasons), but still.
I can somewhat see that happening in the future.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
My friends and I looked deep into the picture, and compared it to that of the Ken leak from September(?). While this isn't a solid Yes/No answer, for we are not perfect in our predictions, we looked at all the potential truth to it as well as the falsehood of it.
For a start, the lack of a video showing their movement or the unusual placement of the model of porky himself can both detract from this, but the most solid detriment to this leak's truth is the model itself. Porky's model looks unusally non-detailed and low-resolution, where it looks like a Brawl or even Melee model. Considering how much unnecessary details were added to other characters (take King K. Rool for an example- his scales are individually textured and modeled), such an undetailed model makes the leak surefire feel fake. A minor detracting point would be his "window" model- they are usually modeled after their official artwork, and I strongly doubt they'd just put a generic "sitting in my mech" pose for such a dynamic villian as Ridley. Even characters without any real personality like the Miis have more heart put in their artwork than Porky.

It does have several pros though. The shading and icon model look very on-point to a smash game, if a little boring.

Overall, I think we can safely dismiss this one as a fake, though this isn't a foolproof claim.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thing is with the Ken leak, he was taunting - something that’s very difficult to fabricate as most image leaks have a very static looking model, or even just an edited screenshot of their origin game. The faked 3DS Palutena leak was elaborate I’ll give them that, but even that took like an hour in Blender.

Unless there’s an image with him taunting or doing a unique looking attack I’ll remain skeptical

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
A Porky leak, huh? I’ll just quote what I already said on the matter over here.
View attachment 232042
Porky’s shading appears to be different compared to Mario’s. Not to mention, he just looks like a PNG pasted on to a screen. And let’s not forget the iconic shaky camera. There is also a lack of detail. Almost forgot that.
In other words, it’s not a very good leak.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This just came from the Porky thread. What are everyone's thoughts? Real or fake?

That is absolutely ludicrous and disgusting. It breaks every clichle leak rule in the book. Now this is how you make an actual leak picture.

1563745347890.png

10/10. A True Masterpiece.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Aside from what everyone is saying about the model and texture quality, he has his normal skin, normal hair, overalls, and o-mouth.
Everyone who’s played Earthbound knows when Porky’s in the mech he has green skin, brown hair, and red and black striped suit, and a big stupid smile on his face.

Sakurai loves his attention to detail and wouldn’t have uncorrupted early game Porky in the mech. At the very least he’d be in his suit with the smile, even if without the corrupted skin and hair.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning that overall Porky already has a model (from Brawl) and suit Porky doesn’t, which is why a fake leaker would do that.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Aside from what everyone is saying about the model and texture quality, he has his normal skin, normal hair, overalls, and o-mouth.
Everyone who’s played Earthbound knows when Porky’s in the mech he has green skin, brown hair, and red and black striped suit, and a big stupid smile on his face.

Sakurai loves his attention to detail and wouldn’t have uncorrupted early game Porky in the mech. At the very least he’d be in his suit with the smile, even if without the corrupted skin and hair.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning that overall Porky already has a model (from Brawl) and suit Porky doesn’t, which is why a fake leaker would do that.
Only thing to point out is that while I don't believe the leak, how much of those can't be alt costume stuff?

Let's be careful to not look too hard into details like that. They aren't that meaningful in itself. Just like the shaky camera isn't the biggest thing to worry about. If you're recording something in development, there's a good chance you'll be nervous. Leaks are a big deal, and you can lose your job over it. You're taking a pretty huge chance by doing so.

I agree with your last point, though. That said, I don't think this is remotely real either, and I'm sure the faker will come out soon enough. They still did a great job overall everything considered.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
TBH if they were able to get a character from Microsoft in Smash, I don't know why Disney is so impossible when it comes to video game characters.
I... kinda see it differently

Microsoft sticks exclusively to tech and video games pretty much, they started as that PC company after all

Disney... they’re a whole different beast. Started with literal animated movies. Not to mention, Microsoft is just a tech giant. Disney’s a friggin MEGACONGLOMERATE. They have so much power and influence that they’re right up there with Comcast and Google, owning a ton of subsidiaries. It’s just... not the same to me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
TBH if they were able to get a character from Microsoft in Smash, I don't know why Disney is so impossible when it comes to video game characters.
DLC characters are already chosen, I doubt a hypothetical Disney buyout of Activision would change anything.
It depends on how much Disney cares about Crash Bandicoot and/or Spyro the Dragon. It's likely that they won't care very much, but if they decide to be difficult about it they could take down all videos showing gameplay of Crash and Spyro, and make it difficult for tournaments to feature either character (like what Toei was doing to the Dragon Ball Fighterz scene). They could also put weird restrictions on adding the either character later on down the line like with what MVCI ran into (I don't think they'd outright say no though).

To be honest though, I'm not sure it will matter since I'm not confident we will get either Spyro or Crash in the near future.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/07/21/disney-activision-blizzard-buy/

Let's all pray this never happens, lest Crash have the same huge copyrighted elephant in the room as Sora has...
I don't think there's any elephant in the room regardless, but why would Disney even do that? They clearly don't care about videogames.

Hell, if they want to make them, they can just revive LucasArts, they own it and their IPs.
I... kinda see it differently

Microsoft sticks exclusively to tech and video games pretty much, they started as that PC company after all

Disney... they’re a whole different beast. Started with literal animated movies. Not to mention, Microsoft is just a tech giant. Disney’s a friggin MEGACONGLOMERATE. They have so much power and influence that they’re right up there with Comcast and Google, owning a ton of subsidiaries. It’s just... not the same to me.
Oh sure, Microsoft's just this tiny thing considered to Disney.

Oh wait it isn't it's worth 5 times more.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I remember Disney having fun videogames.

Then there was Wreck-It Ralph. Fantastic movie, meh game. Should've had the studio do what they had past studios do with games based on their movies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I hope that never happens since Disney is already a monopoly.
I mean by definition they aren't. They're huge, but the size of studios like Sony and Warner Bros. prevents them from being a monopoly.

Also y'all are falling for some serious clickbait. It was one guy speculating that Disney should buy Activision. It's hardly something even close to happening.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I think I might've found some hints as to who the next character is...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Tony the Tiger? From Cereal? You've got to be kidding me - the next character is clearly Jimmy Neutron! His silhouette was in the original announcement trailer, so he's 100% confirmed.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
My characters to watch for Ultimate's Fighter Pass (assuming DLC is all 3rd Party)

Bethesda
Doom Slayer (Doom)
Dragonborn (Skyrim)

SNK
Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury)
Kyo Kusanagi (King of Fighters)
Nakoruru (Samurai Showdown)

Activision
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)

Koei Tecmo
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Level 5
Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch)
Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

Ubisoft
Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed)
Rayman (Rayman)

Capcom
Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Dante (Devil May Cry)

Namco
Heihachi, Jin, or Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Siegfried/Nightmare (Soul Edge/Calibur)
Solaire or Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)

Konami
Frogger (Frogger)
I've complied IMO some of the possible characters on the shortlist for the final 2 DLC spots in the Fighter Pass, sorted by company. What do you think? any characters left out? I based my list on the 3rd party company's most successful franchises since Sakurai seems to work with 3rd parties by bringing some of their most popular franchises to the game (This is also why I don't think Phoenix Wright is getting in but I could be wrong).

toonito

Smash Ace
As of now here's my prediction for the Fighter Pass:

I normally would say don't hold your breath for an actual character announcement at EVO-same thing as last year an announcement of a future Smash Direct-but since Joker debuted at The Game Awards (not an official Nintendo platform), it's possible for Fighter Pack 4 to be announced here. If this is the case then anyone on my list is fair game but keep a special eye on Terry, Kyo, Nakoruru, a Tekken rep, Nightmare or Siegfried. If these characters are to be announced given the setting it would be a good debut at EVO. Other than that, their chances are low.

Ryu Hayabusa, Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy, and Doom Slayer.

Two of these three characters will make the Fighter Pass.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Considering the GameBoy branding I think it's supposed to be Christopher Belmont.
untitled.png untitled.png

Considering Christopher has no canon artwork that looks anything like that, it looks like a really shoddy attempt at the Simon's Quest NA Boxart.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Incineroar's been confirmed since November.

Regardless, it is pretty funny seeing how lax the now hyper-protective Nintendo was with its branding and licensing back in the day.

I wonder if Nintendo would go for the idea of Super Smash Bros (its otherwise unconnected franchises battling each other in direct combat) if the idea was pitched nowadays.

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
As of now here's my prediction for the Fighter Pass:

I normally would say don't hold your breath for an actual character announcement at EVO-same thing as last year an announcement of a future Smash Direct-but since Joker debuted at The Game Awards (not an official Nintendo platform), it's possible for Fighter Pack 4 to be announced here. If this is the case then anyone on my list is fair game but keep a special eye on Terry, Kyo, Nakoruru, a Tekken rep, Nightmare or Siegfried. If these characters are to be announced given the setting it would be a good debut at EVO. Other than that, their chances are low.

Ryu Hayabusa, Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy, and Doom Slayer.

Two of these three characters will make the Fighter Pass.
a 4th fighter pass character announcement on EVO 2019 is a possibility.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
We're gonna get an Undertale character announced at EVO, just for the irony of announcing a character from a game about pacifism at a fighting game tournament. It makes total sense, I swear

In all seriousness, I doubt we're gonna get anything at EVO because it seems way too soon to announce another character. The most I think we're gonna get is an announcement about Hero's release date and maybe a release month for Banjo, assuming the former isn't already dropped by then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom