• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
If $$$ was the only thing Nintendo cared about (and arguably as a company is the one thing they should care about above all else for their stakeholders) we'd see Goku in the pass. I'm still expecting Resident evil reps and Phoenix Wright or DoomGuy, but as far a third parties go, Crash would be a winner too.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Is it possible they'd wait to see the Fighter's Pass sales post-Banjo announcement or something like that, to only then give the greenlight to Sakurai's team to start negotiating and developing fighters beyond the pass?

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
After Kirby Star Allies I did not expect to have to look up a notable Kirby character. (Ado seems to be Adeline's name in Kirby's Dreamland 3)
my b with that one
My only real exposure to Adeline/Ado is from a friend who's really enthusiastic about her getting into smash, he constantly refers to her as Ado. I've never actually played a Kirby game outside of KEY tbh

Kronch

Smash Cadet
If $$$ was the only thing Nintendo cared about (and arguably as a company is the one thing they should care about above all else for their stakeholders) we'd see Goku in the pass. I'm still expecting Resident evil reps and Phoenix Wright or DoomGuy, but as far a third parties go, Crash would be a winner too.
I'm with you on that. If Nintendo really wanted $$$, Steve probably would have gotten them more than Banjo too!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm with you on that. If Nintendo really wanted $$$, Steve probably would have gotten them more than Banjo too!
why this again.

Steve is a legitimate choice, there ain't any "shill" picks unless they're choosing new first-parties solely as ads. Steve has existed since 2009 as well so this is even worse of an idea.

Also I've noticed some people ignore "Steve for Smash"-related stuff and say things like "he's not popular" and "he'd be a shill pick" well if he wasn't popular then he wouldn't make money so which is it you jerks?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
IMO if bringing in new demographics was really so important Master Chief would've been our MS rep. 90s Nintendo fans and 2010s kids would already be attracted to a good chunk of the roster, but not 2000s FPS fans.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
For the most part, I wouldn't call any of these "obscure", aside from maybe Nippon Ichi. And that's a big, big maybe. They're smaller than the companies already in Smash, sure, but in general one doesn't need to dig that deep for, say, Level-5, Koei or SNK. They're all notable companies in certain respective genres - they just don't transcend gaming as a whole like the bigger fish. But I think most JRPG fans will have heard of Level-5 or Nippon, and a lot of fighting game fans know SNK, for example.

I think the word you're looking for might be "niche", not obscure, perhaps?
yeah that's a better word for it.

D

Deleted member

Look, all I'm saying is, when Just Cause Guy DOES get in, y'all better not expose me and my source

D

Deleted member

If $$$ was the only thing Nintendo cared about (and arguably as a company is the one thing they should care about above all else for their stakeholders) we'd see Goku in the pass.
If Nintendo only cared about the money, the Fighter Pass would only contain 1st parties so that they wouldn't have to spend any money on getting 3rd Party characters at all. Smash DLC is guaranteed to sell like hotcakes anyways. The only question Nintendo would have to ask themselves is what characters they own that would be good enough for the Pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If $$$ was the only thing Nintendo cared about (and arguably as a company is the one thing they should care about above all else for their stakeholders) we'd see Goku in the pass.
implying this is a bad thing

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If Nintendo only cared about the money, the Fighter Pass would only contain 1st parties so that they wouldn't have to spend any money on getting 3rd Party characters at all. Smash DLC is guaranteed to sell like hotcakes anyways. The only question Nintendo would have to ask themselves is what characters they own that would be good enough for the Pass.
Maybe a first party choice they couldn't have room for in the base game because the spots were prioritised by the ballot choices, popular modern stars and the unexpected character??

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You have to spend money to make money. While I'm sure any DLC character will sell well to recuperate any cost in making them, something that excites a large audience far more is far more profitable than one that's safe and expected.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Random Eevee Moveset, because Eevee is ridiculously popular.

It’s a cheat. Eevee adds not one fighter to smash, but four!

Up B - thunder stone
B Neutral - Fire Stone
Down B - Water stone

Side B - Tackle

You start each life as Eevee and choose to become Vaporeon, Flareon, or Jolteon with the appropriate stone, once you transform you are that pokemon for the rest of the life, there is no way to de evolve without losing a stock. Flareon, Jolteon, and vaporeon all have full movesets.

If you never want to bother with choice mid match or starting the life as eevee, you can just pick one of those three from the starting screen.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
You have to spend money to make money. While I'm sure any DLC character will sell well to recuperate any cost in making them, something that excites a large audience far more is far more profitable than one that's safe and expected.
it make sense from both a business perspective and a consumer perspective.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So there’s a Guy and Cody spirit, but no Mike Haggar spirit.

I mean there’s a good reason for that, as Guy and Cody are Street Fighter Alpha spirits.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
but no Mike Haggar spirit.
oh **** yeah

steel pipe f-smash doriyah

actually now that i think about it, mike haggar kind of is his own role up there with resident evil and ace attorney on a nostalgic classic guy. boomers will go crazy for him

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
oh **** yeah

steel pipe f-smash doriyah

actually now that i think about it, mike haggar kind of is his own role up there with resident evil and ace attorney on a nostalgic classic guy. boomers will go crazy for him
So a mix between Incineroar and Ganondorf then? Instant trash tier confirmed. I wouldn't mind turning the beat back, but I'm not sure how interesting he'd be compared to the other DLC characters in terms of gameplay.

EDIT: It'd also be interesting because Guy and Cody would be considered Street Fighter characters while Haggar would be considered a Final Fight character since he never appeared in the Street Fighter series.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
3. Edelgard - The fact that she's FE, obviously female, a shill pick, from a brand new game, and part of an extremely old leak that also called Joker, Banjo, and Dragon Quest rep makes me believe she has a higher chance than almost anyone, despite me believing the rest of the DLC is third party. If I'm wrong in that statement, we will likely see Edelgard as the 4th fighter.
That leak's a load of horse****.

It didn't even actually call a Dragon Quest character to begin with, or even characters. It just threw a bunch of company names and then a pair of shill characters to make it look legit.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
move out of the way shantae

View attachment 231965
You and I need to hang out.
People really need to stop equating being too late for the base game with being too late for DLC.

Rex didn't even have his final design when the roster was decided, but assuming the DLC was picked around April 2018 like Banjo was, Three Houses and Sword and Shield likely had preliminary designs (especially since we'd see Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, and Byleth's final designs a month and a half later, and Three Houses was known about since 2017, they were probably ready for a good long while). That's not even getting into the precedent Pokémon has for placeholder fighters.
Rex was def too late for DLC as well tho.
Third-parties are safe and expected though.

blackghost

Smash Champion
IMO if bringing in new demographics was really so important Master Chief would've been our MS rep. 90s Nintendo fans and 2010s kids would already be attracted to a good chunk of the roster, but not 2000s FPS fans.
master chief is not realistic in the slightest. how much money would Microsoft demand for rights to use mc??? banjo got in because he has little to no value in microsoft and him making ANY money at all from royalties or however the deal works is a plus to microsoft. Microsoft makes money and Nintendo gets to appease its older fans while SIMULTANEOUSLY adding another third party dlc feather in its cap.

and no a really early 2000s fps fan would already be into smash courtesy of Metroid prime.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
and no a really early 2000s fps fan would already be into smash courtesy of Metroid prime.
Err not really. Metroid prime is still metroid at its heart with a bunch of holdovers from the 2D games. FPSes like Halo appeal to far different people who aren't interested in things like that.

Most fans of FPSes I know aren't interested in the Metroid IP and aren't even aware there existed a first person variant.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Rex was def too late for DLC as well tho.
Considering Luminary debuted the same year, I wouldn't say so. Too late in the sense that Nintendo execs didn't feel the need to include him on the hypothetical character shortlist? Probably. Too late for consideration for DLC? Not at all.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I feel the most probable characters for the last slots might be: Ryu Hayabusa, Resident Evil rep, Lloyd Irving, Crash Bandicoot & possibly another recently popular IP that was kinda random like Joker. The last 2 are kinda in a weird spot, it's like I know there probably 3rd party and good picks but Nintendo has a habit of dropping the "less hype" stuff at the end. Like either #4 & #5 is just a straight business decision but it'll appeal to a lot of ppl inside and outside the Smash base. Idk but I don't think Nintendo will drop the ball on the last 2. They've obviously have used the Smash Ballot and are listening to fans when making Ultimate and it's decisions, so I don't think they'll screw up it up now.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I feel the most probable characters for the last slots might be: Ryu Hayabusa, Resident Evil rep, Lloyd Irving, Crash Bandicoot & possibly another recently popular IP that was kinda random like Joker. The last 2 are kinda in a weird spot, it's like I know there probably 3rd party and good picks but Nintendo has a habit of dropping the "less hype" stuff at the end. Like either #4 & #5 is just a straight business decision but it'll appeal to a lot of ppl inside and outside the Smash base. Idk but I don't think Nintendo will drop the ball on the last 2. They've obviously have used the Smash Ballot and are listening to fans when making Ultimate and it's decisions, so I don't think they'll screw up it up now.
Frankly if we're counting old, relatively small time characters like Lloyd Irving and Ryu Hayabusa as popular picks, it would be borderline impossible for Nintendo to screw up the last two picks short of them putting Byleth in as a shill pick.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I'll be honest with you, I don't think that was because of women. Or specifically, not because of real-life women.
Trust me when I say you'd be surprised by how many female fans KOF has.

Even as far back as 1997, women were borderline outnumbering men purely in terms of votes in their respective fan polls.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

KOF has a pretty significant fujoshi presence on top of that too.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Look, all I'm saying is, when Just Cause Guy DOES get in, y'all better not expose me and my source
Rico Rodriguez... That's his name...

Metroid Prime, and it's sequels, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, are not First Person Shooter games. They're First Person Action-Adventure games. The nearest game to the FPS genre is Metroid Prime Federation Force, due to it being different to the other Prime games.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Err not really. Metroid prime is still metroid at its heart with a bunch of holdovers from the 2D games. FPSes like Halo appeal to far different people who aren't interested in things like that.

Most fans of FPSes I know aren't interested in the Metroid IP and aren't even aware there existed a first person variant.
most fans of fps these days arent actually fps fans they only like military shooters (cod, halo, ect). fans of fps games play all of them. unreal tournament, borderlands, rage, doom, Wolfenstein, ect. I've seen a lot of people who were introduced to metroid through prime because it was an fps and the increased sales on the prime series demonstrate this. the prime series alone has sold almost half the series total sales.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Good question, honestly. Will this fighter's pass break the pattern of the subjective quality of ending on a bit of a low note? After Brawl and 4's last non-secret characters were Olimar and Shulk, after DLC ended with Corrin and the Ballot pick that could have been anyone and Ultimate's base ended with Incineroar and the Plant, how are we sure this is going to be any different? There could at least be one kind of more niche pick they naturally only show after the more interesting ones (Joker, Hero, BANJO), serving as a character without as much interest as the rest of the fighters, but is thankfully monetarily along for the ride anyway thanks to being a part of that package deal.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Considering Luminary debuted the same year, I wouldn't say so. Too late in the sense that Nintendo execs didn't feel the need to include him on the hypothetical character shortlist? Probably. Too late for consideration for DLC? Not at all.
Luminary isn't the sole Hero, but he's one of four. Presumably, a DQ character(s) like how Hero is now were planned, and Luminary was added as the default alt to add more new characters (presumably for character diversity and/or a newer character so newcoming DQ fans could find a character in DQ they recognized from Smash). Dragon Quest has been around since the eighties, Rex has not. I like Rex, but to say he's happening as DLC is basically just a dream pick at this point. Maybe if they add one or two individual fighters aside from the Pass, Rex has a chance. But as of now, unlikely.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This just came from the Porky thread. What are everyone's thoughts? Real or fake?

It's definitely fake, the model doesn't match the detail on the Heavily Armed Porky sprite (the model seems too simplistic regardless) and Porky himself just seems off. People in the Porky thread think it's fake, too.

Though the model is still nice but not really what I'd hope for Porky, maybe something closer to that SFM model/that Porky moveset comic-thing.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Luminary isn't the sole Hero, but he's one of four. Presumably, a DQ character(s) like how Hero is now were planned, and Luminary was added as the default alt to add more new characters (presumably for character diversity and/or a newer character so newcoming DQ fans could find a character in DQ they recognized from Smash). Dragon Quest has been around since the eighties, Rex has not. I like Rex, but to say he's happening as DLC is basically just a dream pick at this point. Maybe if they add one or two individual fighters aside from the Pass, Rex has a chance. But as of now, unlikely.
Oh, I agree that Rex has no shot.

My issue is with people thinking that Rex being too late for the base game means that newer characters are too late for DLC.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Oh, I agree that Rex has no shot.

My issue is with people thinking that Rex being too late for the base game means that newer characters are too late for DLC.
It's really only for those from newer IPs like Astral Chain and Daemon x Machina because Nintendo wouldn't know if they would be a success or failure around the time when the DLC characters were chosen.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This just came from the Porky thread. What are everyone's thoughts? Real or fake?

I'd like to see it happen, but it seems fake. I'm not sure how far mods have progressed for Smash Ultimate, but a blurry/out-of-focus screenshot isn't the most reliable source. The closest one I can think of that actually turned out to be legitimate was this image that leaked Ken, and even then, it was much clearer and gave us a better view of the character.

If it is true, then I'd be excited for his inclusion.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Rex's biggest hurdle for DLC is being the bonus costume for the Fighter's Pass. He's perfectly fine timing wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom