• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Banjo and many of the newcomers that were added due to “fan demand particularly in the west” illustrate that both East and West have pull individually.

Doom Slayer (& Bethesda Mii Costumes) make a ton of sense. Doom is one of the most iconic first person shooters as it popularized the now huge genre. With Banjo getting in on the Microsoft front, I would assume the other FPS icon of Chief is out - which allows our Marine to Rip and Tear his way in.

Since the switch, Bethesda has been hugely supporting the Platform with skyrim, fallout shelter, Doom, Wolfenstein 2, Blades and the upcoming Doom Eternal.

Bethesda even had Zelda content in Skyrim and Hines has specifically stated that they’ve talked Smash before smash was released.

The Slayer as a DLC character promotes Doom Eternal, Reinforces the relationship with Bethesda, and kills it as the “iconic FPS” genre Rep.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
On the subject of female audience, when KoF for Girls was announced the tag for it trended in JP twitter for like 18 hours, SNK games have an unusual quantity of female fans for a company that does mostly fighting games

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On the subject of female audience, when KoF for Girls was announced the tag for it trended in JP twitter for like 18 hours, SNK games have an unusual quantity of female fans for a company that does mostly fighting games
Never underestimate the appeal of otome romance games my dude

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I'll be honest with you, I don't think that was because of women. Or specifically, not because of real-life women.
Anyway, Nakoruru has no chance.
View attachment 231944
I don't know if this is a joke, but it's a pretty good one if it is.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
"Too many bird using characters"

Maybe in the west, but in Japan it's def because of women, characters like Kyo and Iori have a legion of fangirls
Isn't there an entire specific subset of mobile games in Japan dedicated to this? I vaguely remember one particular game about male samurai (forgot the name) that had around 80~90% of its playerbase as female.

That aside, does anyone have other dark horse picks in mind? I know there are characters we discuss a lot and even less known picks have been discussed, but is there anyone we're really missing?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
What if they chose a Skullgirl as an insane, unexpected pick? Probably wouldn't happen over Tekken and other non-indie fighting game picks tho.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Isn't there an entire specific subset of mobile games in Japan dedicated to this? I vaguely remember one particular game about male samurai (forgot the name) that had around 80~90% of its playerbase as female.

That aside, does anyone have other dark horse picks in mind? I know there are characters we discuss a lot and even less known picks have been discussed, but is there anyone we're really missing?
a mobile game rep like angry birds.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
a mobile game rep like angry birds.
Well...the Angry Birds have been on the 3Ds. Though I think in terms of the mobile market they've fallen out of popularity in favor of Fortnite, Clash Royale, and Candy Crush*. Through this and the fact that the most of the hardcore gaming crowd doesn't really care for mobile games I'd say that this probably wouldn't happen. It would be pretty interesting to see an Angry Birds assist trophy though.

*Then again the mobile market isn't really something I have my eye on so I could be dead wrong.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Who you guys think are going to take those last two slots in the Season Pass? I think it's going to be a Namco-Bandai rep and a Nintendo character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Who you guys think are going to take those last two slots in the Season Pass? I think it's going to be a Namco-Bandai rep and a Nintendo character.
Same here. I’m personally hoping it’s KOS-MOS and Elma, respectively.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think the fourth fighter is going to be Heihachi. As for our fifth fighter, I have absolutely no idea.
I think the Namco-Bandai rep is going to be Lloyd Irving simply due to the fact he is the only Mii costume from Smash 4 that doesn't have any role or presence in Ultimate whatsoever. His franchise Tales of Symphonia is the only franchise from those Mii costumes in Smash 4 that doesn't have any representation in Ultimate.

The Nintendo character I think is going to be Porky for mutilple reasons.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think the Namco-Bandai rep is going to be Lloyd Irving simply due to the fact he is the only Mii costume from Smash 4 that doesn't have any role or presence in Ultimate whatsoever. His franchise Tales of Symphonia is the only franchise from those Mii costumes in Smash 4 that doesn't have any representation in Ultimate.

However, Lloyd could get his Mii Costume back as DLC.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Honestly, I don’t think we are going to get a Nintendo rep. We could, don’t get me wrong, but judging by how the DLC is coming along, I think they are going to add more 3rd party characters to really emphasize that the game is a celebration of gaming as a whole.

As for it being Porky, I’d certainly be down for him, and I think he could have a nifty moveset, but if he does come I think some other more popular picks would come first.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well I don't know about another Capcom character, but I definitely think a Namco-Bandai character is a given for the Pass.
We might not get a new Namco Bandai character, so I don't think that people should act like one is guaranteed.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, I don’t think we are going to get a Nintendo rep. We could, don’t get me wrong, but judging by how the DLC is coming along, I think they are going to add more 3rd party characters to really emphasize that the game is a celebration of gaming as a whole.

As for it being Porky, I’d certainly be down for him, and I think he could have a nifty moveset, but if he does come I think some other more popular picks would come first.
I only see another Nintendo character besides Porky or Sylux getting in if Spirits don't deconfirm characters. Otherwise, who else is there for Nintendo to choose if the Spirit characters are out of the running?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Nintendo just surprises everyone by including a first party pick, everyone is confused why it isn't another 3rd party hype seller, but Sakurai stated Nintendo really wanted at least one of their own franchises added and a Nintendo franchise new to Smash Bros that wasn't Splatoon!

I mean hey, last time around we got the big ones of Ryu and Cloud, only to then wrap up with the 3DS character they wanted to include and the Smash Ballot "winner", instead of also big, if not somehow even bigger 3rd party stars. They could totally be ordering a less hype reveal after the bigger ones are out of the way like with Corrin and Incineroar.
I only see another Nintendo character besides Porky or Sylux getting in if Spirits don't deconfirm characters. Otherwise, who else is there for Nintendo to choose if the Spirit characters are out of the running?
I mean, Rhythm Paradise would be real cool and it was previously considered for Smash 4 it seems.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that the only possible first party reps are an FE 3 Houses character and a Gen 8 Pokemon, assuming that spirits do indeed deconfirm. I don't think that Porky is getting in unless we get either a Mother trilogy remaster or a localization of Mother 3, Sylux runs the risk of being outdated due to Metroid Prime 4 being essentially restarted from scratch, and any new IP (like Daemon x Machina and Astral Chain) would be a gamble because the development staff wouldn't be sure if they will be a success or a failure.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nintendo just surprises everyone by including a first party pick, everyone is confused why it isn't another 3rd party hype seller, but Sakurai stated Nintendo really wanted at least one of their own franchises added and a Nintendo franchise new to Smash Bros that wasn't Splatoon!

I mean hey, last time around we got the big ones of Ryu and Cloud, only to then wrap up with the 3DS character they wanted to include and the Smash Ballot "winner", instead of also big, if not somehow even bigger 3rd party stars. They could totally be ordering a less hype reveal after the bigger ones are out of the way like with Corrin and Incineroar.

I mean, Rhythm Paradise would be real cool and it was previously considered for Smash 4 it seems.
We have a ton of Rhythm Heaven Spirits already. Not that it matters since I’m in the minority that believes Spirits DON’T deconfirm.

And I personally think that if it was too soon for the likes of Rex and Spring Man/an ARMS rep in general, it’s too soon for someone from Three Houses, Dragalia Lost, Astral Chain, or Sword/Shield.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A Three Houses rep, a SwSh rep, etcetera.
You do got a point, but honestly I mostly only feel this way about Porky's chances because I think Mother 3 is coming to the west this year with the 30th anniversary of the franchise coming up. Porky in Smash could be used to promote Mother 3 in the west if that was the case which I think it is.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You do got a point, but honestly I mostly only feel this way about Porky's chances because I think Mother 3 is coming to the west this year with the 30th anniversary of the franchise coming up. Porky in Smash could be used to promote Mother 3 in the west if that was the case which I think it is.
Your assumptions don't mean anything, and we might not get a Mother 3 localization this year.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
We probably shouldn’t base a fighters chances on what we think is to come.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I agree with you because speculation on what games are coming might backfire and we might not get what we thought was going to happen. I think that Porky's chances are smaller than people think that they are.

KillerCage

Smash Master
DQ VIII and IX broke a million sales in the west and shipments of the original Dragon Warrior broke a million thanks to Nintendo Power subscriptions, plus as a series DQ is way bigger in Japan than what Doom is in the west. As a series you have to remember that DQ is mostly a series with deep connection with Nintendo as being a series more focused on consoles while Doom is a series that has been more focused on being released on PCs.

If I'm being frank, Doom is not only the same problem as DQ but also you have to amplify it. If we talk about Bethesda, I'll keep saying it but people are sleeping hard on the Dragonborn.
A third-party series doesn't need a deep connection with Nintendo to get into Smash Bros as seen with Metal Gear, Street Fighter, and Persona. Doom didn't start on Nintendo, but virtually every Doom title has been ported to a Nintendo console with the exception of Doom 3.

In regards to Dragonborn, I get the feeling that people are not interested in another RPG character joining Smash Bros even though Skyrim is a WRPG. Another issue the Dragonborn has is that Skyrim is the only game of the Elder Scrolls series that is on a Nintendo system. Every other Third-party franchise in Smash Bros has at least two entries on Nintendo systems; Metal Gear has the original NES port, Twin Snakes, and the Snake Eater 3DS remake; Street Fighter has multiple versions SF II, the 3DS port of SF IV, and the Street Fighter Collection on Switch; Persona has Persona Q 1 & 2 and the Shin Megami Tensai series from which Persona originated. I'm personally not familiar with Skyrim, so I don't know what moves the Dragonborn has that can separate him from the rest of the roster with the exception of the dragon pulse.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What if they have a mini-direct on Mother's anniversary and we get an official Mother 3 localization or Mother Trilogy?

...nah, we won't get anything, like usual. It's gonna be disappointment as always.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Your assumptions don't mean anything, and we might not get a Mother 3 localization this year.
Well it's better to have a assumption of your own instead of thinking on what everybody else is thinking. Otherwise, speculation is boring. For the first half of 2019, speculation is was mostly just about the potential Square-Enix rep and Microsoft rep. While both did end up being true, it doesn't mean the whole community's group predictions going forward will end up being true either.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Well it's better to have a assumption of your own instead of thinking on what everybody else is thinking. Otherwise, speculation is boring. For the first half of 2019, speculation is was mostly just about the potential Square-Enix rep and Microsoft rep. While both did end up being true, it doesn't mean the whole community's group predictions going forward will end up being true either.
The speculation is just unrealistic though. Speculation is built off of what we know. We don’t know if there is a Mother 3 port in the works.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
And... We don't know **** about who the last two Season Pass characters are. We are in the dark right now.
I’m saying we may get Heihachi for a reason, that reason being that he’s a popular and recognizable video game character, a Namco rep makes perfect sense, and because he has potential as a fighter. Those are all things that we know. Everyone speculates a different fighter for a different reason, but when the speculation is based off of facts that don’t exist, then I’m not sure I would really call it speculation. You could speculate a Mother 3 port, sure, but you building a speculation off of a speculation will only lead to dissapointment.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i see very little reason for it to be a Nintendo character. it would be seen as a step backward. I looking at a capcom rep and either namco or bethesda more than likely.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
We have a ton of Rhythm Heaven Spirits already. Not that it matters since I’m in the minority that believes Spirits DON’T deconfirm.
You think so? Even so, the spiritless like Tibby, the Barista and Marshall are still options.
I'd say we could totally have another Corrin situation where we went from CLOUD STRIFE FROM FINAL FANTASY to "oh, it's another Fire Emblem character", being reserved for later after the more hype announcements like Banjo.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I’m saying we may get Heihachi for a reason, that reason being that he’s a popular and recognizable video game character, a Namco rep makes perfect sense, and because he has potential as a fighter. Those are all things that we know. Everyone speculates a different fighter for a different reason, but when the speculation is based off of facts that don’t exist, then I’m not sure I would really call it speculation. You could speculate a Mother 3 port, sure, but you building a speculation off of a speculation will only lead to dissapointment.
Who said I was just speculating on Porky just for those 2 reasons. I have a bunch of other reasons why I think Porky could be coming:

1. He doesn't have a spirit.

2. No Mother enemies besides the Masked Man are Spirits.

3. All the other Subspace Emissary bosses have Spirits in the game while Porky does not.

4. The Absolute Safe Capsule is a Spirit in Ultimate. There are two sprites, one where Porky is in it and one where it's empty. The one that's empty is the Spirit in Ultimate.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
While I agree with the fact that Porky’s chances probably hinge off of some sort of EarthBound Trilogy/Mother 3 localization, there are a fair amount of reasons for speculating him. For some, it might just be more fun to speculate on things that they might have familiarity with over things they don’t really care for much. Which is how I find myself in the current situation of really only supporting characters I know (such as Porky, or Octoling as an Echo if we get any more after the Pass, etc.) since there are very few third parties left that I have any sort of interest in, and even fewer that I think have a legit shot at making it in.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post; image-only reply
What if they have a mini-direct on Mother's anniversary and we get an official Mother 3 localization or Mother Trilogy?

...nah, we won't get anything, like usual. It's gonna be disappointment as always.
hope.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom