• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
....why would be blaze be more marketable? axel is more of an overall poster boy for streets of rage
I also want to point out Yakuza heavily borrows from SoR
Yakuza wouldnt exist without SoR

Streets of Rage is one of the most important game series ever made. Almost every beat em up nowadays has taken from it. While yes final fight and a few others came before it theres no denying Streets of Rage left more of an impact and actually evolved the genre. It also important to note the soundtrack and how influential it was.

Most modern day beat em ups exist because Streets of Rage (specifically Streets of Rage 2) happened. It was SEGAs big series aside from Sonic and pushed systems back then. I understand Yakuza is popular but part of that is that its recent. Yakuza wouldnt exist as it is without Streets of Rage happening first

Like I understand most nintendo fans and younger fans may go "wait what" like they did w Dragon quest or terry but if Axel makes it it would make 100% sense to pay respects to the Beat Em Up genre and the big game that really defined it. Axel is extremely important to gaming even if people want to act like hes just another "ken" (mind u SoR came out the same year as SF2)

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Blaze being picked over Axel would make no sense since Axel is the poster boy and is even getting a storm figure. Hes front and center on every boxart and is the guy who crosses over outside of SoR

Blaze would probs be in the bg of the stage tho

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
the more i think about it the more Id be shocked if Axel DIDNT get in this pass

>recent revival
>comes from one of the most iconic beat em ups of all time
>soundtrack was revolutionary back then
>was one of SEGAS huge series before they fell over
>we dont have a beat em up rep yet
>nintendo and sega seem to be on good terms

I think Axel is the big "slept on 90s char" this pass like Terry was last pass. Like NO ONE expected Terry but he makes so much sense in hindsight. Axel feels about the same way honestly. Tho what sucks is if he does get in where not gonna hear the end of "hobo ken" jokes
In terms of a Sega rep, Axel does have an edge over other characters with some modern relevancy. That being said I don't see Nintendo really picking Streets of Rage because it's revival is still very recent and the fourth game wasn't even made by Sega so I have doubts they'll pick the series for the pass.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Blaze being picked over Axel would make no sense since Axel is the poster boy and is even getting a storm figure. Hes front and center on every boxart and is the guy who crosses over outside of SoR

Blaze would probs be in the bg of the stage tho
yeah this just feels like when people said nakoruru was definitely making it over terry or that min min was making it over spring m-wait a minute

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
In terms of a Sega rep, Axel does have an edge over other characters with some modern relevancy. That being said I don't see Nintendo really picking Streets of Rage because it's revival is still very recent and the fourth game wasn't even made by Sega so I have doubts they'll pick the series for the pass.
That doesnt change that Streets of Rage 2 existed.

Axel also represents a game type that smash completely lacks. His only competition really is Jimmy/Billy, Kunio, and Cody Travers. All of which I think he has a p clear advantage over with relevancy, impact, legacy, uniqueness, moveset potential, etc (also before the more games argument, more games =/= impact)
I feel like IF we get a beat em up character its axel or we dont get anyone

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

>recent revival

I think Axel is the big "slept on 90s char" this pass like Terry was last pass. Like NO ONE expected Terry but he makes so much sense in hindsight. Axel feels about the same way honestly. Tho what sucks is if he does get in where not gonna hear the end of "hobo ken" jokes
Basically the same argument that Sakura wars fans have been using.

Bottom line is we need more Sega content in this game lol

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Basically the same argument that Sakura wars fans have been using.

Bottom line is we need more Sega content in this game lol
Sakura wars is hurt p badly by almost no north american releases w most the games being stuck in japan which sucks cause theyre good games

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

>recent revival

What about Sakura Shinguji? She’s also one of those characters whose series, along with the character, was popular in the 90's (albeit more popular in its native Japan).

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

SoJ doesn't even acknowledge SoR lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What about Sakura Shinguji? She’s also one of those characters whose series, along with the character, was popular in the 90's (albeit more popular in its native Japan).
She seems like Reimu in that she's more popular in Japan than the West. While lack of localization might cause an issue, I do believe the most recent game is getting ported to the West this time around, so that might smooth over that issue.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Watch we all be wrong and turns out that Reimu leaker was right and Reimu joins lol.

Or that 4 chan post is right and we get Ryza

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Watch we all be wrong and turns out that Reimu leaker was right and Reimu joins lol.

Best case scenario, Reimu is revealed alongside Shovel Knight, representing old and new indies, satisfying both sides of the Pacific, AND putting Assist Trophies back on the table.

and then all the assists get mii'd immediately after

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
totally worth it because then i also get power stone 3 which will be the moment i can finally become one at peace with the force
Blaze is too hot for Smash. Remember Smash is for good boys and girls.
i don't know what was the worst part of good boys and girls: mai becoming the go-to second snk rep over way cooler and more important snk characters, or people starting to gatekeep any vaguely attractive female character

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I also want to point out Yakuza heavily borrows from SoR
Yakuza wouldnt exist without SoR

Streets of Rage is one of the most important game series ever made. Almost every beat em up nowadays has taken from it. While yes final fight and a few others came before it theres no denying Streets of Rage left more of an impact and actually evolved the genre. It also important to note the soundtrack and how influential it was.

Most modern day beat em ups exist because Streets of Rage (specifically Streets of Rage 2) happened. It was SEGAs big series aside from Sonic and pushed systems back then. I understand Yakuza is popular but part of that is that its recent. Yakuza wouldnt exist as it is without Streets of Rage happening first

Like I understand most nintendo fans and younger fans may go "wait what" like they did w Dragon quest or terry but if Axel makes it it would make 100% sense to pay respects to the Beat Em Up genre and the big game that really defined it. Axel is extremely important to gaming even if people want to act like hes just another "ken" (mind u SoR came out the same year as SF2)
Yakuza borrowed more from Yu Suzuki games like Spikeout, Virtua Fighter, and Shenmue since the creator worked under him in alot of his projects.

I dont believe SoR was ever said to be a inspiration for it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know that touhou is really weird when it comes to the rights (though easier in some ways). I don't think it'd be hard for nintendo to get reimu, but i do wonder if something about the franchise would maybe make them not want to go with it, for some kind of legal reason.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Y'all ever think about the fact that we have three insiders (NateDrake, Kelios, and King Zell) backing up the idea that there will be a Direct next week, alongside the disappearance of the "New" tag on the Smash website indicating news soon?

If there's not a Direct next week, I cannot even begin to imagine the fallout.
Broke: Wanting a direct so you will know which months have have something to entertain you.
Woke: Not wanting a direct because you would instantly get entertainment due to the chaos.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
She seems like Reimu in that she's more popular in Japan than the West. While lack of localization might cause an issue, I do believe the most recent game is getting ported to the West this time around, so that might smooth over that issue.
correction, the most recent game was already localized. And did pretty well from what I heard.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I know that touhou is really weird when it comes to the rights (though easier in some ways). I don't think it'd be hard for nintendo to get reimu, but i do wonder if something about the franchise would maybe make them not want to go with it, for some kind of legal reason.
I mean ZUN said he wants Reimu in Smash, and he is literally the holder of Touhou rights. I don't really think it'll be any more complicated than going to ZUN and asking for the rights to Touhou.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
correction, the most recent game was already localized. And did pretty well from what I heard.
It did ok, managed to beat SWV sales atleast.

First week sales were really good but it had no legs after that.
I have no clue what the western sales are since SEGA gave no data but atleast they seem to show alot of interest talking about it recently.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean ZUN said he wants Reimu in Smash, and he is literally the holder of Touhou rights. I don't really think it'll be any more complicated than going to ZUN and asking for the rights to Touhou.
What I mean, is that so many other companies and people can use touhou's rights, nintendo might not want to put themselves in the same boat, if you know what i mean. It's just a different game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Best case scenario, Reimu is revealed alongside Shovel Knight, representing old and new indies, satisfying both sides of the Pacific, AND putting Assist Trophies back on the table.

and then all the assists get mii'd immediately after
I'm fine with that. Would prefer SHantae but Reimu is good with me

totally worth it because then i also get power stone 3 which will be the moment i can finally become one at peace with the force

i don't know what was the worst part of good boys and girls: mai becoming the go-to second snk rep over way cooler and more important snk characters, or people starting to gatekeep any vaguely attractive female character
I would love a powerstone 3

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, thought so. Don't think "lack of localization" is an issue for Sakura.
What I mean, is that so many other companies and people can use touhou's rights, nintendo might not want to put themselves in the same boat, if you know what i mean. It's just a different game.
I don't really see the issue with that. If anything, it'd make Nintendo more likely to go for Reimu, assuming the second pass operates on a smaller budget. From what I can gather, they could literally go up to ZUN's house and go, "Hey, can we have the rights to Reimu?" and he'll just gesture to the overflowing box of keys to the vault. The man is really lax with the rights-Heck, he's even composed songs for the fangames, whereas with most franchises you'd be lucky to even get the other way around. Touhou is probably one of the easiest third-party games to get the rights to.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It did ok, managed to beat SWV sales atleast.

First week sales were really good but it had no legs after that.
I have no clue what the western sales are since SEGA gave no data but atleast they seem to show alot of interest talking about it recently.
All we know about the western sales was that apparently it did a lot better than Sega of america was expecting.

Which makes sense, it came out during the massive lockdown when PS4 players needed something to play

cj.

Smash Journeyman
yeah this just feels like when people said nakoruru was definitely making it over terry or that min min was making it over spring m-wait a minute
Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury are different series, and unlike Arms, Street of Rage have a main protagonist

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There's a difference between the two I would say. Sakura is more analogous to Dragon Quest than anything else, given that Sakura Wars is a large series over there.
I have seen other people say this, did this come from anywhere official or is it just theorizing?
It's just theorizing based on a comment made by Sakurai about Pass 1 using less budget and staff members as they moved towards completion. No official comment has been made as such.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I don't really see the issue with that. If anything, it'd make Nintendo more likely to go for Reimu, assuming the second pass operates on a smaller budget. From what I can gather, they could literally go up to ZUN's house and go, "Hey, can we have the rights to Reimu?" and he'll just gesture to the overflowing box of keys to the vault. The man is really lax with the rights-Heck, he's even composed songs for the fangames, whereas with most franchises you'd be lucky to even get the other way around. Touhou is probably one of the easiest third-party games to get the rights to.
Yeah well it's that being so easy, that might be a problem. It's hard to explain, but a business has certain standards. A series that doesnt have that might be a liability somehow. I'm no lawyer, so I'm just wondering about it really.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I can see Opa Opa happening.

Sakurai is a huge fan of Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier(both take place in the same universe). Even has figures of Opa Opa, Shumps ships, and anime mecha's posted on his twitter.

Sakurai even had a Space Harrier 2 cartridge on the genesis mini during the Min Min presentation

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The only issue is that the Sakura that would probably show up in Smash and the Sakura in the newest game are 2 different characters lol

Sure she makes cameo appearances in the localized games but the games where she's actually a major player in the story were never localized.

I can see Opa Opa happening.

Sakurai is a huge fan of Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier(both take place in the same universe). Even has figures of Opa Opa, Shumps ships, and anime mecha's posted on his twitter.

Sakurai even had a Space Harrier 2 cartridge on the genesis mini during the Min Min presentation

One of those ships looks like a mini figure of Transformers Armada Starscream's vehicle mode.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The only issue is that the Sakura that would probably show up in Smash and the Sakura in the newest game are 2 different characters lol

Sure she makes cameo appearances in the localized games but the games where she's actually a major player in the story were never localized.
The 2 Sakura's could easily be hero style costumes as they fight the exact same. The most that would need to be done is hire 2 different VA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom