• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Nightmare, he's the mascot iirc and Soul Edge is one of the most iconic swords in gaming iirc
I didn't Know Nightmare was the mascot, then again, He's in every game, so he makes sense
If it's SC2 Nightmare, it can be both.
Ether one is ok with me
A number of characters from Soul Calibur could get in. Nightmare would be my preference, but Mitsurugi and Kilik aren't bad options either.
The other two sound cool.

Nightmare and Siegfried are Voiced by the Same guy who voices Link, he also is the voice for Arusu (DQ3) in Smash Ultimate
tho that's just my thoughts

SKX31

Smash Master
Okay, so going to cobble together my kind of unrealistic Direct Predictions once more:

* BOTW 2
* Mario 35th anniversary remakes, with an extra surprise remake included.
* Bayo 3
* FP7 - not going to bet any money right now and guess which character. Only bet I'm willing to give is that (s)he's at least somewhat high profile.
* Animal Crossing DLC
* Sword / Shield DLC - perhaps another major look of Crown Tundra?
* NMH 3
* The next Mario Sports / spinoff game now that Tennis Aces is for all intents and purposes done development.
* Something for the more casual crowd - I don't expect Bakungan obviously, but something like a new LEGO game (just to give a hypotheoretical example). The absolute wildest would be something like a My Next Life as a Villainness game (which isn't completely impossible - VNs and Otome games are very prevalent on the Switch).
* Out of left field (for most people here at least) third party announcement. Riot announcing Wild Rift's potential Switch port (with a targetted 2021 release) is possible. Microsoft could also take this slot if the recent rumors turn out true. "Lower profile" third parties are also possible here.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I mean, you're right about me joking, but based on past precedant, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the Xbox presentation was just hardware specs. That would probably turn off a lot of people...
Nah, Microsoft’s said it’ll almost entirely be games. They’ve basically already talked about the specs & what not already.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We're doing unrealistic predictions now now?
  • New Kirby game
  • New Fire Emblem game
  • The Smash reveal is a sleeper pick who was obvious and yet we never considered them
  • Golden Sun remaster
  • Klonoa Encore (I CAN DREAM)
  • Touhou ports
  • Obligatory Mario remasters
  • New Metroid game (Prime Trilogy port is acceptable too)
  • New IP, may or may not be successful

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
alright so people a while ago were talking about not commonly discussed characters that they want and HOO BOY do i got lots of those

first of all, sega. right off the bat, vyse has been my number 1 pipedream never ever most wanted since forever. he was even one of the two characters i voted for in the smash ballot, so even just a mii costume would make me bounce around my house like silly putty. axel would be ballin' as well, and honestly it's a crying shame that i never really considered him as a viable candidate until a few months ago, because streets of rage is mah JAM. and if there's any sega rep who's even more of a no-hoper than vyse, it's opa-opa from fantasy zone. opa-opa would be cool. that's about it. also, we do already have virtua fighter representation, especially with the akira assist, so i was thinking about it and i realized jacky bryant would be amazing, even though he's already a mii and not the face of vf. i kinda even want to make a moveset for him one day

then we jump onto the bamco side of things, and drum gang. that is all i have to say.

in terms of capcom, i could fill 2 entire passes with just obscure capcom characters i'd pop off over. edward falcon, amingo, hayato, jin saotome, strider, captain commando, viewtiful joe, gene from god hand, i want them all.

in terms of nintendo, i really want saki amamiya. there was a time where saki was more discussed, but since then he's MAJORLY dropped off speculation, and understandably so. regardless, i want him, i think sin & punishment is criminally underrated and saki would probably be super fun. to a slightly lesser extent, takamaru also dropped off spec for the time being, and the man's probably my most wanted first party. i'm also TIRED of people going "you only want him to fill the retro quota!!!!" shut up karen, i want takamaru because he cool samurai man. also in terms of pokemon, in the midst of all the sceptiles and gen 8 reps and whatnot that people have thrown out over the years....i kinda want N as a second pokemon trainer of sorts.

as for square, in the midst of all the geno, sora and 2b talk, i really want neku and crono. neku i want cause he's just really cool, and crono i want because come on. it's CHRONO TRIGGER in SMASH BROS. that NEEDS to happen someday.

in terms of indies, people never really throw gunvolt out there, but i'd love him.

and uhhhh that's about it, i guess.
Dunno if I’ve already talked about my “not popular” picks, but I’m gonna do it anyway since most of my wants are crack picks LOL.

First is Magnus from kid Icarus Uprising.
I LOVE Magnus and I guess I’m the only person who does? His voice actor is great, great personality, and he’s got a big sword but is still fast! I’ve wanted him since I first saw him in Nintendo power! He’s actually my favorite character of all time even though I don’t have much to say about him. He’s not an assist , he’s not a costume, he’s a Sakurai character, and spirits can be DLC so I definitely think he’s got a chance!

Next is Jetstream Sam from Metal Gear Rising.
This is the crack-pot pick but would make me happy! His voice is fantastic, I love Spanish accents! His personality is great, a cocky and true kinda guy. His playstyle is so satisfying, having normal light attacks, but all his heavies can be charged into different and more powerful moves! And his design is great too, the way he lays his left hand on his sheath (which has a trigger to shoot his sword out at blazing speeds), his red muramasa is GOD LIKE, and even though his outfit is admittingly bland I still like it! Second favorite character btw.

Finally a DMC pick. (SPOILERS FOR DMCV)
Now, the easy choice is Dante. I hope it’s DMCV Dante since that’s my favorite Dante design. I hope he’d use his DMCV kit as well or all of his weapons from across the series! But who I really want is Nero. Nero is more simple than Dante, but that’s not a detriment. Nero has a slew of different right arms (devil breakers) to choose from as well as his devil trigger! The possibilities are endless honestly! Having all his breakers available with all their abilities would be amazing! The only way to switch a breaker is to either break it or use its charge attack just like in DMCV! You’d always start with overture, then gerbera, and so on until you’re left with no devil breakers and can only use your devil trigger’s weaker grab (devil bringer). You could use maximum bet while in DT (a chargeable projectile) and I assume his final smash would be the move Showdown or some smash specific cinematic. Yeah, you can tell I’ve thought about this a lot. If Nero got in, I’d never play another character honestly. (Unless it was Magnus, Sam, or Travis Touchdown)

D

Deleted member

Here's my unrealistic prediction.

A Smash reveal
the next fighter will be from the veggietales series of games

this fighter's arms cannot extend so we will not have to extend the development time at all

he is in

right now

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think the point people are trying to make about the sword problem is not that they are the exact same. its that they are all based on the same concept with little variety
Yeah, it's less about the sword, and more about all of the tropes associated with a generic JRPG protagonist. Of which pretty much every FE character is. On top of Cloud, Shulk, the Heroes, etc.

Can we go back to the guy thinking we'd get a boob rep?
I vote for Morrigan!

personally i don't really have this burning hatred for fire emblem or anything
I didn't used to either. But with each additional undeserved character slot that hatred grows a little more.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If everyone else is doing this, I'll post my Nintendo Switch never ever wishes

• Persona 5 The Royal
  • Kingdom Hearts: The story so far
  • Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time remake on Switch
  • Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask remake on Switch
  • A New F-Zero game
  • A New Star Fox game that isn't a retelling of the SNES game or has mandatory motion controls
  • A new Paper Mario game that has an exp system, badges, playable partners, a cast of original characters and is not self aware that they are made of Paper.
  • Banjo Redooie
  • A Terranigma remake in the art style of Trials of Mana
  • A Chrono Trigger remake.
  • A Simpsons Hit & Run remaster
  • A Pokemon Colosseum & XD remaster

and of course, a remaster of the TimeSplitters trilogy. Then I'll finally have some games to play on my Nintendo Switch.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Unrealistic Predictions!
-Mario Blowout the direct will be 90% Mario
-Bayonetta 3 Teaser
-Persona 5 Scramble
-Animal Crossing Summer Update 2
-A port of Trails In The Sky
-Rune Factory 5
-Xenoblade X Port?
-Crown Tundra Info
-BotW 2 Teaser
-I'm 50/50 whether or not we will even get a smash character reveal

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Any of you guys remember Papagenos talking about Him Potentially talking to someone asscioated with Cat Leaker Guy (guy who leaked Banjo and Dragon Quest along with codenames on 4chan)?

There was something about Ori being potentially hinted at for some type of Smash apperance. If King Zell Hint Means Microsoft, along with the MCC collection on Switch, that could give more crediablity to Chief in Smash

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh, yes.

100 % yes.

Now before I start my addendum, I should re-emphasize that :ultbanjokazooie:'s designed like that (with Kazooie acting kinda as a sword) probably because of neccessity. Otherwise, B-K would lose trades more often (like Kazooie being hit by Cloud's / Ike's Forward Tilts). The Duck in:ultduckhunt: doesn't get into nearly as much CQC as Kazooie, so the Duck can be hit at any time basically. I like that Sakurai did this because it allows B-K to get up close more often.

I get that gameplay differences don't matter as much to a lot of people here - that said, I also agree that "a casual wouldn't notice" is incorrect because they often run into these differences head on. For example: Marth and Roy's tippers have loud, crunchy noises to let people know those connected in an instant. Lucina's and Chrom's lack of tippers become more noticeable when matched up against a Marth / Roy.

I'm not expecting everyone here to try for Elite Smash and run into the people good at the game more often than not (I have played as Cloud for 290 hours online, yes I'm a mascochist). But learning the bread and butter of one's favorite character never hurts. You don't have to go super deep at all, nor does the tier list matter much at all in the casual environment.

Don't do that.

Don't give me hope.
It’s funny that you mention you don’t expect anybody to get characters into Elite Smash.

I uh...have gotten everybody in the roster into Elite Smash, lol.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
And Dante.

Though with the case of Fire Emblem. It has more to do with how many characters are in then it being "anime swordsmen".
Listen, I HATE when people call Dante an anime swordsman. Dante has never looked anime in any of the DMC games. Sure he’s HAD an anime but that was way after the first game came out. Just look at DMCV, it looks REAL. Dante uses a sword yeah, he’s got three (alastor, Sparta, Dante) but you know what else he’s and uses? I’ll list em for you:

Fire gauntlets (ifrit)
Fire boots (balrog)
Light and mechanical gaunlets (beowulf and Gilgamesh)
Chainsaw motorcycle (cavalier)
Ice nunchaku that can turn into lightning and a fire staff (King Cerberus)
Demon guitar (Nevan)
Mechanical demon wing things? (Lucifer)
Fire and wind twinblades (agni and rudra)
Laser guns (nightmare beta and Artemis)
Sniper rifle
Shot gun
Two pistols
Grenade launcher
Three rocket launchers (an un named one and the katalina Anns)
Two Uzis I think?
A magical hat (Dr. Faust)
A suitcase that can turn into 666 different things (pandora’s box)
Also two alternate forms one significantly more powerful than the other.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Unrealistic Predictions:
Super Mario RPG remake in Paper Mario art style
Switch Punch-Out!!
New Super Mario All-Stars(NSMB+NSMBW+NSMB2+NSMBU)
Super Smash Karts
Kid Icarus Uprising Deluxe
Waluigi's Wrecking Crew
GBC and GBA games on Nintendo Online, launching with Mother 3

7NATOR

Smash Master
Listen, I HATE when people call Dante an anime swordsman. Dante has never looked anime in any of the DMC games. Sure he’s HAD an anime but that was way after the first game came out. Just look at DMCV, it looks REAL. Dante uses a sword yeah, he’s got three (alastor, Sparta, Dante) but you know what else he’s and uses? I’ll list em for you:

Fire gauntlets (ifrit)
Fire boots (balrog)
Demon guitar (Nevan)
Sniper rifle
Shot gun
Two pistols
Grenade launcher
Two Uzis I think?
To be fair, If they give him the Bayonetta treatment, Dante probably would just use his Sword. Granted I really hope that doesn't happen because I want Dante's Moveset to be Sick as Possible. But Dante does Primarily uses his Sword though above all else.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Dante has never looked anime in any of the DMC games.
True, but he ACTS anime. In fact, DMC is one of the most anime-ass stories ever written.

To be fair, If they give him the Bayonetta treatment, Dante probably would just use his Sword.
This. It IS his default weapon. And his swords are always the weapons that the plot revolves around.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Looking forward to Monday.
IDK.jpeg

(Note, I think we will get an announcement in about 24 hours and get a full Direct on Monday)

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Maybe, though from what I recall, he's been hinting (or outright saying) that the Master Chief Collection is coming to Switch for a while now, so maybe it's a hint towards that?
He’s probably hinting at MS presence in the direct. I think I remember him saying a while back that when the Halo ports are revealed it’ll be in a direct. I think this is the one that’ll show them off if he’s right about Halo on Switch.
Hmmm, what about Master Chief Collection gets revealed at the start of the Direct, and then as our E3 reveal, we get Master Chief announced for Smash at the end.
Any of you guys remember Papagenos talking about Him Potentially talking to someone asscioated with Cat Leaker Guy (guy who leaked Banjo and Dragon Quest along with codenames on 4chan)?

There was something about Ori being potentially hinted at for some type of Smash apperance. If King Zell Hint Means Microsoft, along with the MCC collection on Switch, that could give more crediablity to Chief in Smash
0317496A-E342-4DB7-BD49-A3430B54C17C.jpeg

The reactions that Japanese streamers had to Hero would be me if Chief actually got in. I would be a sobbing, emotional mess.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I actually disagree a bit. DMC always had a part of anime in their aesthetic. Obviously, DMC5 not so much.
It's not like it's bad, it's the fact that people uses "anime swordsman" in a negative sense and therefore, other fans will try to keep distance between that term and their most wanted in order to not look bad. But a character being anime or having a sword isn't bad at all.

As for the weapons, yeah, Dante has an absurd arsenal of weapons. I don't think he would get everything he has used in the games if he's in Smash. I wouldn't be surprised if he 'suffers' the same fate as Bayonetta.

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Interesting... though with Wild Rift all but verbally confirmed for the Switch, that advantage might not last for long.
Wow, I doesn't know/hear about Wild Rift, and that it is a LoL mobile game coming to Switch. Well, there goes my idea about one game having advantage over another, but unless AoV have a one-half year head start than LoL on Switch. Maybe this Wild Rift game will shows up in a official trailer in the supposed July direct.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Fire gauntlets (ifrit)
Fire boots (balrog)
Demon guitar (Nevan)
Sniper rifle
Shot gun
Two pistols
Grenade launcher
Two Uzis I think?
I don't care if he doesn't have the art style, Devil May Cry is the most anime **** known to man and that's why people play it. Nothing else can be used to describe a game where one guy revs his sword like a motorcycle and the other uses his motorcycle as a sword.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Now I want Vash instead of Dante.

I really liked Trigun back then.
We can always hope Daisuke Ishiwatari's response to positive reception to the concept of guest characters for Strive with LOVE AND PEACE!
Tumblr_ljkptdlS0z1qip2cxo1_r1_500.gif

I don't care if he doesn't have the art style, Devil May Cry is the most anime **** known to man and that's why people play it. Nothing else can be used to describe a game where one guy revs his sword like a motorcycle and the other uses his motorcycle as a sword.
Uses a motorcycle as TWO swords dummy

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A Twitter user name ElizaArtz did an AMAZING Vol. 2 Spirit Board menu concept!
Why is the DMC logo the logo of a one-off evil organization and not the iconic Trish silhouette

SNEKeater

Smash Master
We can always hope Daisuke Ishiwatari's response to positive reception to the concept of guest characters for Strive with LOVE AND PEACE!
View attachment 279071
Vash would be really cool, but ironically I think Dante would be a better fit for GG Strive. He has some crazy ****, would easily fit with GG's aesthetic, he would make some people to buy the game... But I guess it would be expensive? for ArcSys.

So yeah, I'd take Vash

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So from what Kelios & Zippo saying that it's shorter than the usual 45 minute direct, and Zell being confident it's a general direct.

I'm guessing a 30 minute direct then. Of course it depends on if they're cutting out any useless padding Directs usually have if there's still the same amount of games revealed as the 45 minute ones.

Last edited:

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
I saw a 2 years old video of a Fatal Frame character as a fighter from before the AT, and surprisingly it was convincing that it could have worked. All moves are either a tormenting ghost apparition (smash attacks and side/up specials), some related item or taking a picture with the camera (that it could have a "target" with the normal special and down special would change the lens to cause extra effects). Now I want it as a rep to horror games

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
the next fighter will be from the veggietales series of games

this fighter's arms cannot extend so we will not have to extend the development time at all

he is in

right now
we misinterpreted the boob rep guy and it turns out it's a bob rep and the next character is bob the tomato

can't believe they'd go for the bland shill pick instead of a highly requested fan-favorite like larryboy. i can't believe sakurai would betray the fans like this i'm shaking and crying rn

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The NoA Twitter retweeted NintendoVS's tweet about the Splatoon Turf Wars Tournament which was posted 5 hours ago, so they can announce things on the Weekend.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Yes, because PapaGenos is the paragon of reputability within this community. The guy who covers hoaxes as if they're real, peddles inane theories seriously, and lied to his fans about his initial reaction to Byleth.

I wouldn't trust el Grandé Papi de Jenos as far as I could throw him.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Are people actually literally arguing whether Paper Mario is made of paper in-canon
Paper
Mario
I don't drink, but this sure makes me wish i did

anyway even if we do get a Direct, Min Min only released not too long ago, so i'm not entirely certain if we'd even get a Smash reveal

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yes, because PapaGenos is the paragon of reputability within this community. The guy who covers hoaxes as if they're real, peddles inane theories seriously, and lied to his fans about his initial reaction to Byleth.

I wouldn't trust el Grandé Papi de Jenos as far as I could throw him.
Papagenos is a Complicated Man, But I believe while he's wrong many times, He also can be right, and I don't think he would lie about talking to this Guy associated with Cat Leaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom