• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Given the people leaking this Direct are saying to keep expectations low, I wouldn't go in expecting two Smash reveals, personally.
Nintendo Directs are for more than just Smash. They could have two character reveals, not much else, and it would still be something you should've kept your expectations lowered for.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
He also bolded the M and S in "Mario games." Perhaps they're doing the direct on the same day as the Microsoft presentation?
Maybe, though from what I recall, he's been hinting (or outright saying) that the Master Chief Collection is coming to Switch for a while now, so maybe it's a hint towards that?

zferolie

Smash Hero
If this rurmored direct is happening, and we are getting smash news, its going done in one of 2 ways.

First: They just give us the trailer for the character, like was orirginally planned for E3, but show nothing else. Like Banjo or Terry. Masybe give us the release month as well.

Second: They only say that the next fighter will release in a certain month, and noth say who it is till the sakurai presents video a few days to a week before they are released. I hope this isn't what happens honestly, buts to just tell us.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm honestly more excited for potential Metroid, Zelda, and Xenoblade announcements than Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

If this rurmored direct is happening, and we are getting smash news, its going done in one of 2 ways.

First: They just give us the trailer for the character, like was orirginally planned for E3, but show nothing else. Like Banjo or Terry. Masybe give us the release month as well.

Second: They only say that the next fighter will release in a certain month, and noth say who it is till the sakurai presents video a few days to a week before they are released. I hope this isn't what happens honestly, buts to just tell us.
Third: Nintendo just says Sakurai is working hard on the next DLC character for Super Smash Brothers Ultimate and leave it at that with us getting no new info whatsoever.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I was thinking something:
If this was delayed from E3, it's possible there was enough time to patch together a Terry-style trailer for CP8; No gameplay or anything, but still enough to reveal someone. Unlikely, I know, but it's possible we could get a full reveal and gameplay for the next fighter, followed by a teaser for the one after that.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Given the people leaking this Direct are saying to keep expectations low, I wouldn't go in expecting two Smash reveals, personally.
honestly at this point i wouldn't mind too much if we didn't get smash, i really just want more nintendo news in general

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
He also bolded the M and S in "Mario games." Perhaps they're doing the direct on the same day as the Microsoft presentation?
He’s probably hinting at MS presence in the direct. I think I remember him saying a while back that when the Halo ports are revealed it’ll be in a direct. I think this is the one that’ll show them off if he’s right about Halo on Switch.

SKX31

Smash Master
Ah yes, another Fire Emblem argument. I really shouldn't respond but I feel this compulsion to do so. To start, I understand why people are upset with there being more Fire Emblem characters. It just boils down to not being the character(s) they wanted, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

1) No, Marth, Lucina, Chrom and Roy do not play the same. Their movesets are similar, but they do not play the same. It may be semantics for some, but it shows, in my humble opinion, a larger flaw of speculators in that they don't digest the gameplay aspects of the characters, or why they're designed that way. If you try playing Marth like Lucina, you're gonna have a tough match. If you try to play Roy like Marth, you're going to struggle. While the moves are the same, the way to properly play them is not.

Also, I will not take the "a casual wouldn't notice" as a valid point. Just because you're a casual player doesn't make your assessment that they're "the same" correct. It's incorrect.

Lastly, if you seriously think Ike plays like any of the 4 I already mentioned, then I find it quite hard to believe you're arguing in good faith. Having the same weapon doesn't suddenly mean you play the same way. That's extremely faulty logic.
Oh, yes.

100 % yes.

Now before I start my addendum, I should re-emphasize that :ultbanjokazooie:'s designed like that (with Kazooie acting kinda as a sword) probably because of neccessity. Otherwise, B-K would lose trades more often (like Kazooie being hit by Cloud's / Ike's Forward Tilts). The Duck in:ultduckhunt: doesn't get into nearly as much CQC as Kazooie, so the Duck can be hit at any time basically. I like that Sakurai did this because it allows B-K to get up close more often.

I get that gameplay differences don't matter as much to a lot of people here - that said, I also agree that "a casual wouldn't notice" is incorrect because they often run into these differences head on. For example: Marth and Roy's tippers have loud, crunchy noises to let people know those connected in an instant. Lucina's and Chrom's lack of tippers become more noticeable when matched up against a Marth / Roy.

I'm not expecting everyone here to try for Elite Smash and run into the people good at the game more often than not (I have played as Cloud for 290 hours online, yes I'm a mascochist). But learning the bread and butter of one's favorite character never hurts. You don't have to go super deep at all, nor does the tier list matter much at all in the casual environment.

He’s probably hinting at MS presence in the direct. I think I remember him saying a while back that when the Halo ports are revealed it’ll be in a direct. I think this is the one that’ll show them off if he’s right about Halo on Switch.
Don't do that.

Don't give me hope.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Maybe, though from what I recall, he's been hinting (or outright saying) that the Master Chief Collection is coming to Switch for a while now, so maybe it's a hint towards that?
Hmmm, what about Master Chief Collection gets revealed at the start of the Direct, and then as our E3 reveal, we get Master Chief announced for Smash at the end.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Third: Nintendo just says Sakurai is working hard on the next DLC character for Super Smash Brothers Ultimate and leave it at that with us getting no new info whatsoever.
"The next fighter will be...a video game character! This character will be very gamey and have moves that reference their origin game, so please stay tuned!"

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
What if FP7 is revealed in this hypothetical direct with a trailer, but then they tell us the game for FP8?

Ex:
Crash Bandicoot for FP7
Sword and Shield Pokemon for FP8

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Hmmm, what about Master Chief Collection gets revealed at the start of the Direct, and then as our E3 reveal, we get Master Chief announced for Smash at the end.
That’d would be the dream. If we don’t get a Doomguy I’d want Master Chief to at least be in.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'm honestly more excited for potential Metroid, Zelda, and Xenoblade announcements than Smash Bros.
What, you mean as in DLC for Definitive Edition, or a new game(/port of a certain something)? Because for a new game I'd think its too soon, and with DLC, I'm not sure whether we'll even be getting any. I could see DE getting some new content for the Time Attack mode like new challenges and costumes, but not much else.
. . .And that'd actually be fine with me. More costumes would be nice.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I was thinking something:
If this was delayed from E3, it's possible there was enough time to patch together a Terry-style trailer for CP8; No gameplay or anything, but still enough to reveal someone. Unlikely, I know, but it's possible we could get a full reveal and gameplay for the next fighter, followed by a teaser for the one after that.
Inb4 CP7 is Sora with full gameplay and CP8 is Crash Bandicoot with a teaser and nothing else.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
"ugh, it's another Fire Emblem character"
"ugh, you don't want 20 more Fire Emblem characters"
Can we go back to the guy thinking we'd get a boob rep?
This reminded me of Catherine's boxart for some reason, and now I'm wondering what Catherine-themed Spirit Battles would be like.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
What, you mean as in DLC for Definitive Edition, or a new game(/port of a certain something)? Because for a new game I'd think it's too soon, and with DLC, I'm not sure whether we'll even be getting any. I could see DE getting some new content for the Time Attack mode like new challenges and costumes, but not much else.
. . .And that'd actually be fine with me. More costumes would be nice.
Preferably a port for XCX but that's probably pretty unlikely at the moment.

I don't think a tease for a new Xenoblade is too farfetched though, seeing as how they started development for it since wrapping up Torna IIRC.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I actually wouldn't be surprised, if it's a mini, to just have an announcement for when there'd be info on smash. It hasnt been that long since min min's release.
I still want a character reveal tho XD

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm feeling we're either getting a shadow dropped Mini, an announcement tonight/tomorrow morning for a Monday General, or insiders are half-right but Monday is the announcement for the Direct to air on Tuesday or Wednesday, not Monday.

Time will tell, but in the meantime, I'm just gonna be here vibin' with Paper Mario and Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
We talking boobs for Smash?

>that image
the duality of man, folks don't worry, I'll drop it

As for the next direct, whenever it comes, I'll just be happy to see something new. Yeah, they could show more of stuff they've already announced (BotW2, Bayo3, MP4, NMH3, BD2, etc) and a few more ports couldn't hurt (MP trilogy, XCX, Mario ports) but I just want a better idea of whats coming down the pipe from Nintendo.

Also, while I like that Nintendo has been trying to make new ips, they've kinda been hit or miss; in terms of impact from greatest to least, I think they've been something like: Splatoon, ARMS, Astral Chain... Sushi Striker, Code Name STEAM, Ever Oasis.
I hope they continue to try new things, because when Nintendo strikes a chord it's always interesting.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Well no one here is gonna say it, So I guess I'll be the first to say it.

I want a brand new Donkey Kong game !!!

Country or 3D I'll take either as long as King K. Rool and the Kremlings return.

Doubt it will happen this year , Maybe next, But I want DK to get some attention too.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just hope Nintendo shows lots of games in whatever kind of Direct this is, considering they don't have practically anything in terms of games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
these two things right here are really important to stress imo, because this isn't just a byleth thing, this is an overarching problem with this community in regards to certain reveals and certain things parts of certain fanbases have done in the past: we never let stuff go.
Ok but Fire Emblem has ruined me. I was going to marry Edelgard when I bought the game but then Dorothea swooped in last second and got a paired ending with Edelgard while saying "Don't worry sweetie you can watch" and my life has been in shambles since because I got cucked by a goddamn video game and I have to live with that

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Any leak I see mentioning Geno is automatically fake.
(Remember the Grinch and Cacomallow?)

Edit:
There's a new leak from 4chan:
>direct opens with a smash reveal, Kokichi presses in to battle! Releasing Fall 2020
>N64 games are coming to NSO in September
>Rare Replay is coming to switch, this time featuring DKC 1, 2, AND 3, as well as DK64. 2020 release.
>an RPG featuring Inklings, Octolings, and other splatoon characters is shown off. 2021 release.
>Legend of Zelda: Call of The Dark is revealed, with a 2021 release.
>Mario Kart 9... no specific release.
The rest of these also have no specific release unless stated.
>Mario 35th anniversary 3D collection.
>New F-Zero
>Pikmin 4
>dumb stuff thrown in like Danganronpa trilogy, Clubhouse games DLC, and a few other things.
>New Banjo game. Uncertain if it's a remake, or threeie.
>direct ends with another smash reveal, Geno squares up!
This is fake. Since I highly doubt Kokichi would be chosen as the Danganronpa rep before Monokuma, Makoto, Junko, Hajime, Komaru, Shuichi, or Nagito if Danganronpa does get a rep.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
anyway here's my completely unrealistic, any-and-all-common-sense-thrown-outta-the-window direct wishlist

-mario kart 9
-new mario strikers game
-sin & punishment remake
-new mii game
-ultimate mahvel 3 port
-power stone 3

as you can see, at least 5 of these things are definitely not happening but i want them anyway

Heoj

Smash Ace
This is fake. Since I highly doubt Kokichi would be chosen as the Danganronpa rep before Monokuma, Makoto, Junko, Hajime, Komaru, Shuichi, or Nagito if Danganronpa does get a rep.
Even if i know its fake i have to respect the "kokichi presses in to battle" line.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So someone on the social thread said there were two private videos on the direct playlist of Nintendo. Checked and saw no such thing.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
And Dante.

Though with the case of Fire Emblem. It has more to do with how many characters are in then it being "anime swordsmen".
Dante is anything but a "anime swordsman" lol

I'll admit, I'm no expert on the series, but isn't Fire Emblem a series where characters can wield many different kinds of weapons like axes, bows, and spears? This might seem crazy, but I think there's a small possibility that having nothing but sword-wielders is maybe a really bad way to represent a series known for having multiple weapons. It'd be like if Castlevania had nine to ten characters in Smash, ranging from Eric to Alucard to Soma to Shanoa... and rather than using any of their different signature weapons, they all instead just used the whip.
Yeah, but you can't expect them to add character #12 instead of the protagonist, even if character #12 has unique weapons and abilities.

EDIT: I think the craziest thing with Byleth is that Sakurai went out of his way to include weapons that weren't swords in the moveset, and people are still mad.

Why are they mad? Because it was never about the swords.
This was pretty clear to me. You don't see people frequently dismissing Lloyd, Sora or Rex because they're anime or they use swords. That 'privilege' is usually for Fire Emblem characters. At that point, it's clear that our next FE character could use 300 different weapons and still people would call him "anime swordsman".

I mean, I don't like Corrin that much as a character, but he's probably the most unique FE character gameplay wise in Smash, and yet he's the most criticized, at least until Byleth happened, which could be also considered the most unique FE character in terms of moveset.

It's really ironic because if Smash fans had the opportunity to choose which Fire Emblem character they would keep for the next game, most of people would pick Marth, Roy and Lucina, maybe Ike instead of her.

Because punchy kick characters are, and always have been, the standard. As varied as Smash is, it's still a fighting game, complaining about punchy kickies is like complaining about the amount of cars present in a racing game.
I don't know, swords are pretty standard as well if you ask me. For that reason if people complain about sword characters, they should be coherent with themselves and also complain about brawlers.
"Brawlers have more variety, each one uses their body in different ways" Well, same with sword users. Both Marth and Ike use a sword as a weapon of choice, but the way they use it it's very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom