• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Y'all do realize swords are a super common video game weapon, correct?
I’m not saying they aren’t, or even trying to make an argument against characters with swords. I’m just trying to maybe explain/give a reason why the majority of the community gets upset seeing another swordfighter added.

7NATOR

Smash Master
That was because of poor timing when the base roster was already decided, just like with ARMS.
I Get that, What I mean is was it bogus Sakurai put his Costume essentially behind a $25 Paywall, because you can't get his costume any other way.

Y'all do realize swords are a super common video game weapon, correct?
And that's why we should start buying more games with Protags that use more unique weapons

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yup - Arthas is the Lich King.

He starts out as a Paladin and heir to the Human Alliance in WarCraft III, but attacks from the Undead Scourge - lead by the Lich King - and their Burning Legion allies (basically demons hell-bent on destroying all life, the Undead's an indirect creation of theirs) wear on him slowly but surely. He goes for more and more extreme solutions until he ventures north towards the Undead-dominated continent of Northend, searching for an Excalibur-like blade (Frostmourne) that he thinks can slay one of the Legion's powerful demons. Ignoring the objections from important allies too...

Safe to say, that was a trap. Frostmourne corrupts him totally after he kills the demon, and transforms him into a Death Knight - servant of the Lich King. The resulting events - Arthas starting more waves of Undead uprisings and epidemics - almost broke the Human Alliance: the aftereffects are keenly visible in WoW.

WarCraft 3's campaign ends - after many twists and turns - with the Burning Legion decisively shattered. Albeit it took a final mission and kinda reluctant collab between the remaining humans, Orcs and Night Elves. Anyhow, the shattering leaves the Undead in complete dissarray at The Frozen Throne's start- this disarray creates the rogue Forsaken faction, the playable Undead in WoW who reject the Lich King. With a rogue Night Elf Demon Hunter - Illidan - gathering his forces and vowing to annihiliate the Lich King.

So the Lich King basically sends a magical call to Arthas, requiring aid ASAP. And although Arthas suffers the long version of "New Game syndrome" (losing levels progressively until he's back to Level 1) he likewise gathers the loyal Undead remnants for a mad dash. He arrives just in the nick of time and just outside the Lich King's doorstep. He battles Illidan there - and emerges victorious after cleaving Illidan's crotch. With that done, he enters the Lich King's throneroom and fuses with him.

He remains the fused Lich King until WotLK's end, where he dies - his human self freed at the very end much like Vader. The Scourge remain as a faction, but now severely weakened from Arthas' death and additional defeats.

"Hey, um, my students, I just got an invitation to this fighting tournament, can I borrow your weapons for a bit?"

That was Edelgard's true start of darkness. :4pacman:
Damn, that’s a badass storyline!

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Now that just smells like gatekeeping. I dislike sticker star as much as the next person, but it and color splash definitely offer just as much to differentiate him from normal Mario as the other games.

And uh, I guess I should clarify I'm calling out the RTC thread with this, not you.
The issue isn't that Paper Mario's moveset would be based somewhat on the newer games (including The Origami King). It's that his moveset would essentially be the newer games and only the newer games, with the first three games being completely ignored despite the moveset potential they all provide.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I’m not saying they aren’t, or even trying to make an argument against characters with swords. I’m just trying to maybe explain/give a reason why the majority of the community gets upset seeing another swordfighter added.
My main issue is people complain about the sword users, yet we have just as many punchy kick characters and no one seems to take offense

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The issue isn't that Paper Mario's moveset would be based somewhat on the newer games (including The Origami King). It's that his moveset would essentially be the newer games and only the newer games, with the first three games being completely ignored despite the moveset potential they all provide.
BeCAuSe PaPEr MaRiO is MaDE oF PaPPeR

Except he wasn't supposed to be in the first three games.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH I'm not sure it's anything too deep: I just think some people get really irrationally angry over character choices in this game, and take anything that isn't what specifically appeals to them as a personal slight.

Basically, I think it just comes down to people are mad they didn't get what they wanted. :drshrug:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ah yes, another Fire Emblem argument. I really shouldn't respond but I feel this compulsion to do so. To start, I understand why people are upset with there being more Fire Emblem characters. It just boils down to not being the character(s) they wanted, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

1) No, Marth, Lucina, Chrom and Roy do not play the same. Their movesets are similar, but they do not play the same. It may be semantics for some, but it shows, in my humble opinion, a larger flaw of speculators in that they don't digest the gameplay aspects of the characters, or why they're designed that way. If you try playing Marth like Lucina, you're gonna have a tough match. If you try to play Roy like Marth, you're going to struggle. While the moves are the same, the way to properly play them is not.

Also, I will not take the "a casual wouldn't notice" as a valid point. Just because you're a casual player doesn't make your assessment that they're "the same" correct. It's incorrect.

Lastly, if you seriously think Ike plays like any of the 4 I already mentioned, then I find it quite hard to believe you're arguing in good faith. Having the same weapon doesn't suddenly mean you play the same way. That's extremely faulty logic.

2) Is having the protagonist of each Fire Emblem game that has a playable character in Smash "bad representation"? Depends on how you look at it. Considering Smash is a mascot crossover, you wouldn't randomly pick a lesser known character who uses a unique weapon, as they aren't a mascot or protagonist. That more or less goes without saying. Sandwiching several weapons together doesn't always create a "great" or even "functional" moveset. Similar to when people suggest Mario gets a bunch of different things to "better represent him", there's a lack of moveset philosophy involved. How does the player earn KO's as this character? What archetype are they? Mashing things together isn't good moveset design, though it can be depending on the archetype. This is why, in my humble opinion, it works with Byleth, but won't work with everybody.

Does having Ike use several weapons represent him well? Or using his signature weapon from his games that works in a functional moveset?

So, does the blame lie with Sakurai or Intelligent Systems for each of the Fire Emblem using swords? Sakurai doesn't have control over the Fire Emblem series, so it seems that answer is obvious.

3) "Anime swordsman" is a non-argument because it doesn't mean anything. It applies to Fire Emblem characters, but never to Shulk, Link(s) or other sword users, or at least not consistently. It's more or less a substitute term for "character I don't like with a sword". If this weren't the case, then there'd be no fan demand for Rex...a character that comes from a JRPG with quite a few anime tropes in it, ironically. If anything, it's more based on the appearance of the fighter and the weapon they use rather than holistically how they use it...which is what already makes each sword user different from the next.

Fans need to come to terms with the fact that most gaming protagonists, if they don't use their fists or a gun, use a sword. It's the easiest weapon to translate to fans (considering it's consistently used in most media, not just video games), and one of the easier weapons to translate into gameplay.

But it's also extremely ignorant to say that any Sword Fighter wouldn't bring something new. Dante uses his sword Rebellion, yes, but he also has style switching, has a Devil Trigger meter, and has his two pistols Ebony and Ivory. Despite having a sword, he'd be nothing like the other characters. 2B would be quite similar...in that she'd be inherently different despite using the same weapon. She has a light sword AND a heavy sword, AND a bot that fires rounds from afar. This is, again, totally different from other characters.

The whole argument is silly and just reeks of people not understanding differences in gameplay, or the larger context of sword-users in media.

EDIT: I think the craziest thing with Byleth is that Sakurai went out of his way to include weapons that weren't swords in the moveset, and people are still mad.

Why are they mad? Because it was never about the swords.

It's been over a half a year that another Fire Emblem character, from one of the best titles on Switch, which made sense as a marketable title through Smash, was added. Let it go, dudes.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Right, and I don't see how that's less different from normal Mario than basing it off of just PM64 and TTYD or all games across the series. Like, if you think it's one too many Marios regardless that's valid, but if that's only a problem if the moveset is based on games you don't like I think that's a dumb complaint.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Let's not do the ol' FE song and dance again, please. We go around in the exact same circle every time.
See, this is why I love discussing out there potential franchises like Atelier, it gives us something fresh to talk about.

Otherwise we'd be chugging along on the 798th Byleth debate like we are right now.

Yes, Fire Emblem has a buttload of characters, deal with it! What's done is done! let's discuss something new for once, please.
If people want to talk about Fire Emblem, or anything for that matter, let them talk about it. It's very easy to ignore those posts and not clog up the thread with "stop talking about (insert topic here)." It's also very easy to start a new topic without complaining about the current one.

D

Deleted member

We're back to talking about Fire Emblem again.

Anti Fire Emblem crowd walking into another Fire Emblem debate like

fckfireemblem.png

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Mario and Pokrmon are understandable though given their Nintendo's most famous, popular and recognizable IPs.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Okay, next topic:
Akechi Goro did nothing wrong, discuss
Agreed.
He did just want to get rid of Shido, the same goal as the protagonist, only to instead decide to make himself go psychotic because of his jealousy.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I see Byleth discussion and I'll just say this:

Please put Three Houses spoilers in tags, I'm playing through it right now, k thx bye

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I personally think Smash representation would be fine if we left it at Marth, Ike, Robin, and Byleth in the next game. They all represent different eras of the series and have completely unique play styles from each other. The FE selection in Ultimate feels bloated to me not just because every character uses a sword, but because a majority of them feel similar, and three of them come from the same (mediocre) game.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Mario and Pokrmon are understandable though given their Nintendo's most famous, popular and recognizable IPs.
On top of that, they’re the two biggest game series ever.

Calling Dante an anime swordsman is pretty insane. Yes, he used a sword. But it’d absolutely be possible to only use the sword in his jab & then whatever move they decide to use Stinger for. He has such a wide arsenal of weapons, he’d be one of the most unique characters in the game.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I wonder what Smash fans feel about fighting games like SoulCaliber or Samurai Shodown where half the roster is just swords

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I see Byleth discussion and I'll just say this:

Please put Three Houses spoilers in tags, I'm playing through it right now, k thx bye
this AND Danganronpa V3 spoilers. I have yet to play the game period

SKX31

Smash Master
Damn, that’s a badass storyline!
Indeed it is! Blizzard does fumble on its storylines and the execution every now and again (WoW's gameplay ensures that as long as it's online the Humans and the Orcs can't be at a steady peace for instance, and that alone creates its own share of fumbles). But on the whole, the ideas are often pretty great - which is why a lot of people have invested into them.

Now, all together, 20/83 = 24%. Which isn’t exactly too bad, especially considering I’m stretching by including :ultganondorf::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultjoker:. But the main problem, I think, is that so many have been introduced in one game, people are tired of seeing the swordfighter archetype after 3-4 additions in the same game. And Fire Emblem has made a massive jump from 2 to 8 in a matter of 2 games. I think the closeness in reveal is the primary reason people are upset when they see another swordfighter/FE character.
Hell, Kazooie is completely untouchable for most of :ultbanjokazooie:'s animations and Banjo has a hitbox like most Swordies*, so depending on the POV one could argue that B-K's a secret Swordie too.

I wonder what Smash fans feel about a fighting game like SoulCaliber where half the roster is just swords
Something like this?

*(The exceptions being Talon Trot and U-tilt - they did this likely so B-K wouldn't lose trades nearly as often. Especially against existing Swordies.)

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
hey guys, did you know that uhhh

sword man bad?

plz give me upvotes and gold, my family is starving
I wonder what Smash fans feel about a fighting game like SoulCaliber where half the roster is just swords
I know you want the Fire Emblem conversation to end, but I doubt that condescending strawman posts are the solution.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
It's been over a half a year
Let it go, dudes.
these two things right here are really important to stress imo, because this isn't just a byleth thing, this is an overarching problem with this community in regards to certain reveals and certain things parts of certain fanbases have done in the past: we never let stuff go.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You guys think we could get The Full Character reveal with FP7, and then another Guessing Game with FP8?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
>N64 games are coming to NSO in September
Meh. I'd rather get GBC and GBA games first...

Also, those same hypocritical fans want characters like Sora or Lloyd who are anime sword fighters:
View attachment 279024
That's not a sword, that's a key!

Would adding Paper Mario into the game be one Mario too many? Or acceptable because it's a side series Mario with a pretty different feel and identity?
It would be TWO Mario's too many. But can't fix the other one without a time machine.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You guys think we could get The Full Character reveal with FP7, and then another Guessing Game with FP8?
it's possible

plot twist: guessing game with FP7 but FP8 is a full reveal for maximum irony :secretkpop:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Agreed.
He did just want to get rid of Shido, the same goal as the protagonist, only to instead decide to make himself go psychotic because of his jealousy.
he still killed countless people in his pursuit of this goal, including Futaba's mom

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I wonder if people realize the topic was only brought up cuz somebody asked about it, and as it was being explained, people started getting defensive over it.

Now people are getting worked up because its being discussed again. I know we're all getting anxious to see if this July direct is actually coming or not and we want to see what the hell Nintendo is doing, but y'all need to chill!!:drohyou:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
*slaps a new topic down*

Would adding Paper Mario into the game be one Mario too many? Or acceptable because it's a side series Mario with a pretty different feel and identity?
Well, we'd only be tying the number of Links and Samuses in the game, plus there's no denying Paper Mario would be extremely unique to vanilla Mario. I don't think being a third Mario is necessarily why people would be displeased with Paper Mario joining the battle.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
No, I think they'd just do an all-out double reveal if both Fighters 7 and 8 were presentable, especially if the upcoming Direct is just the contents of an intended E3 2020 Direct. Otherwise, we'd just get Fighter 7 and that would be it until the next Direct.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The FE community could care less about what the Smash community thinks of the games. We are focused more on debating characters, ranking installments, discussing strategies & builds, and meming and ****posting in-game stuff.

Worth noting that for a series whose last installment sold almost 3 million, it being of the tactical RPG genre and selling that much is absolutely unheard of in this and age, due to the genre's niche nature.

Why are they mad? Because it was never about the swords.
This.

Better to admit you don't like the series than to poorly hide it under the guise of "weapon and moveset variety". Perhaps it's the anime artstyle. Perhaps its the tactical gameplay. Perhaps its the waifu/husbando mechanics in modern games. Perhaps the stories might not be of personal taste. Maybe you don't like the newer games. Perhaps it's all the above. Perhaps it's not.

Using the "Too many swords/variety" argument just won't fly when several newcomers that people just so happen to be swordfighters. Bob welcoming a swordwielder from Series A while turning a blindeye to another in Series B is almost hypocritical when Bob argues the Series B rep is "another swordwielder".

Last edited:

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
Rayman could be my most wanted
But I really want steve too because hes such a gaming icon today like mario/pacman was back then. his unique cube identity will stick out in smash and I really want to see his world in this game. And I used to play so much minecraft back then

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
No, I think they'd just do an all-out double reveal if both Fighters 7 and 8 were presentable, especially if the upcoming Direct is just the contents of an intended E3 2020 Direct. Otherwise, we'd just get Fighter 7 and that would be it until the next Direct.
I'm expecting only a fighter 7 reveal and nothing more. Not even a fighter 8 tease

We usually have 2 reveals per E3 presentation. Before the world ultimately collapsed, I'm assuming our E3 reveals were planned to be Min Min and whomever Fighter 7 is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom