• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm fine with a mini. I just want Nintendo news, and a reveal of the next fighter, or hint, or even a date when the next fighter reveal will be. I just want something, heh. And I don't think my wants are too much - I understand the pandemic is slowing things down, but even with that, there's still stuff they should be ready to show off. It sounds like Bravely Default 2 is close to ready, it's been a year since the BotW2 announcement, I don't see how the next fighter wouldn't be ready for a reveal, at least the character itself (don't need many/any moves, even). You've almost got enough for a mini right there

Come to think of it, it is weird how little WoW gets speculated on, considering the major impact it's had. I don't think a WoW rep would even make my long list of wanteds, but I wouldn't be against it

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The problem I have with Warcraft is that I would not be able to pinpoint which of all the main characters would merit being the rep. Thrall makes a lot of sense, but then the likes of Illidan, Arthas, Sylvanas and Jaina are also stupidly popular.

Which is why my answer tends to be to just throw in a Murloc.

It is admittedly weird to see people bring up LoL, Team Fortress, Portal and all these other huge PC games while almost no one mentions WoW. I don't think people here realize how gigantic this game got, probably from the smash crowd being primarily console-players I guess?
Tbh the reason why I don't bring up WoW, personally, is that I don't know much about it. I was never a part of the WoW craze in the 2000s.

That said, I have no idea about who would even be chosen in that scenario. But I suppose it would be weird seeing any other MMORPG that isn't WoW make it to Smash first, with how much it helped shape the genre. Except maybe Ragnarok.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Is Warcraft popular in Japan? I know its massive in China, but I've never heard of Warcraft having a strong Japanese fanbase.
From what I've looked up, No. It's overshadowed by Final Fantasy online.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Come to think of it, it is weird how little WoW gets speculated on, considering the major impact it's had. I don't think a WoW rep would even make my long list of wanteds, but I wouldn't be against it
Probably because A. Warcraft is a western IP, which are generally considered to be longshots and B. AFIK Warcraft hasn't even been on a Nintendo console.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
1c06e48b7f0b420bb085cfd398ca3ffd.jpg

What on Earth were y'all doing last night?

Anyways, I'm leaning towards a mini at this point.

No matter what, Nintendo needs to show something, they got a shareholders meeting coming up

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Since it keeps getting brought up lately, which less discussed characters would you guys want to see? Here’s some of mine along with the reaction they’d give me.

Would Actually Make Me Cry Tears of Joy

Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)

Hype AF

Haggar (Final Fight)
X (Mega Man X)
Dovahkiin (Skyrim)
Ezio (Assassin’s Creed)
Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
Rash (Battletoads)
Gordon Freeman (Half-Life)
Chell (Portal)
Monokuma (Danganronpa)
The Knight (Hollow Knight)
Madeline (Celeste)

Would Be Cool

Viewtiful Joe
Morrigan (Darkstalker)
Arthur (Ghosts n Goblins)
Bill Rizer (Contra)
Captain Toad
Eeevee
The Champions (Breath of the Wild)
Magolor (Kirby)

Would Explode With Hype, But Probably Impossible

Ratchet & Clank
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Sly Cooper
Kratos (God of War)

A couple of these see a little bit of discussion but not as much as the usual suspects. & yes, I love Capcom a lot lmao
I would be so thrilled by Joanna Dark as well. Perfect Dark is a great game and has been referenced in Smash before with the remote mines and invisible cloak. Bringing Perfect Dark back to Smash would give us a FPS rep and be a way to quasi represent Goldeneye, Nintendo’s biggest game in that genre

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Would Actually Make Me Cry Tears of Joy

Sgt. Cortez (TimeSplitters) The one and only so it's TIME TO SPLIT!

View attachment 278995

Hype AF

Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)

Would Be Cool

Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
Klonoa (Klonoa)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)

Would Explode With Hype, But Probably Impossible

Ark (Terranigma)
Cormano (Sunset Riders)
Gives us Cortez or give us death! Well not death, but give us Cortez!

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I would be so thrilled by Joanna Dark as well. Perfect Dark is a great game and has been referenced in Smash before with the remote mines and invisible cloak. Bringing Perfect Dark back to Smash would give us a FPS rep and be a way to quasi represent Goldeneye, Nintendo’s biggest game in that genre
This is the good way to go for not respect the OG rep of the FPS genre that is also named Doomlike in europe AKA THE DOOMGUY/DOOMSLAYER. If you want people to be pissed yep follow your idea.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The problem I have with Warcraft is that I would not be able to pinpoint which of all the main characters would merit being the rep. Thrall makes a lot of sense, but then the likes of Illidan, Arthas, Sylvanas and Jaina are also stupidly popular.

Which is why my answer tends to be to just throw in a Murloc.

It is admittedly weird to see people bring up LoL, Team Fortress, Portal and all these other huge PC games while almost no one mentions WoW. I don't think people here realize how gigantic this game got, probably from the smash crowd being primarily console-players I guess?
I think it’s unfamiliarity with the property. As someone who’s never played WOW, I didn’t know there were any “main” characters. I only know of the Lich King, is he one of the characters you guys were talking about?

When it comes to western characters/series there’s a lot of competition from more iconic names too. I guess it’s like how we got Snake & Mega Man before Hero even though Dragon Quest’s more popular than MGS/MM.

Also I imagine for most people it seems out of the realm of possibility. The characters in FP1 really expanded the speculation scene’s horizons but I have to admit a PC only MMO is a stretch from what we have so far.

But I’d personally be down for it. If I don’t get characters I personally want, then I’d like them to be from series that lots of people are passionate about. Warcraft fans are definitely passionate about that series & I’m sure they’d be so happy/excited if it were to get into Smash.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm with Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku here: I think no matter what, Nintendo has gotta announce something soon. I doubt they're gonna hold their next shareholders meeting and say "lol we got nothin' k bye". Even if it's something really small, they're gonna announce something. It would look really, really bad if they didn't.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
alright so people a while ago were talking about not commonly discussed characters that they want and HOO BOY do i got lots of those

first of all, sega. right off the bat, vyse has been my number 1 pipedream never ever most wanted since forever. he was even one of the two characters i voted for in the smash ballot, so even just a mii costume would make me bounce around my house like silly putty. axel would be ballin' as well, and honestly it's a crying shame that i never really considered him as a viable candidate until a few months ago, because streets of rage is mah JAM. and if there's any sega rep who's even more of a no-hoper than vyse, it's opa-opa from fantasy zone. opa-opa would be cool. that's about it. also, we do already have virtua fighter representation, especially with the akira assist, so i was thinking about it and i realized jacky bryant would be amazing, even though he's already a mii and not the face of vf. i kinda even want to make a moveset for him one day

then we jump onto the bamco side of things, and drum gang. that is all i have to say.

in terms of capcom, i could fill 2 entire passes with just obscure capcom characters i'd pop off over. edward falcon, amingo, hayato, jin saotome, strider, captain commando, viewtiful joe, gene from god hand, i want them all.

in terms of nintendo, i really want saki amamiya. there was a time where saki was more discussed, but since then he's MAJORLY dropped off speculation, and understandably so. regardless, i want him, i think sin & punishment is criminally underrated and saki would probably be super fun. to a slightly lesser extent, takamaru also dropped off spec for the time being, and the man's probably my most wanted first party. i'm also TIRED of people going "you only want him to fill the retro quota!!!!" shut up karen, i want takamaru because he cool samurai man. also in terms of pokemon, in the midst of all the sceptiles and gen 8 reps and whatnot that people have thrown out over the years....i kinda want N as a second pokemon trainer of sorts.

as for square, in the midst of all the geno, sora and 2b talk, i really want neku and crono. neku i want cause he's just really cool, and crono i want because come on. it's CHRONO TRIGGER in SMASH BROS. that NEEDS to happen someday.

in terms of indies, people never really throw gunvolt out there, but i'd love him.

and uhhhh that's about it, i guess.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'd be okay with a Mini, that's better than nothing, but I don't know, I just think it's time for a full fledged Nintendo Direct.
A Mini wouldn't really solve much. We would probably get FP7 for Smash, but in terms of Nintendo first party news... Maybe I'm mistaken but so far I don't remember Nintendo announcing really that much when it comes to their games with a Mini Direct.

That means, no Zelda, no Metroid, no Bayonetta... basically: if we get a Mini, I'm not expecting any major first party reveal neither a new trailer for their upcoming big games. At best, I'd expect some cool ports such as Metroid Prime Trilogy, No More Heroes 1+2, or Pikmin 3. And then the Mario collection.

I'm late to the "less discussed characters you want to see" talk, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. Ahem...

Adol Christin from the Ys series!

Ys is in my top 3 favorite video game franchises next to Kirby and Dragon Quest, so you can only imagine how ecstatic I would be to see my favorite red haired adventurer join the roster. I'd absolutely flip. If he'd fight anything like he does in his games, he'd be one of the craziest, funnest characters to play as in Smash. I can think of, like, three different gimmicks he could have, and I could probably make an entire moveset based on his skills from Ys 8 alone! And that's just using one game!

And the music he'd come with? I'm not sure if Smash fans would be ready for it. Just listen to some of this stuff!

Sunshine Coastline

Iclucian Dance

Great Plains: Pan-Gaia

Crimson Fighter

I mean, THIS is what it sounds like to climb a giant mountain in Ys 8. And THIS is crossing a desert in Ys 7.

I could go on, but I'll stop myself from typing too much. After the DQ Heroes, Adol would be my ultimate dream character, followed by Arle.

I don't get to talk about him or his series much, though. Such is life.

Edit: It appears that in the overly long time it took for me to finish this post, the thread has already completely moved past this topic... Just my luck, I suppose.
I know Ys but I haver never played the games, but your post was really interesting. I've checked some of the tracks you posted and they're great.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Any leak I see mentioning Geno is automatically fake.
(Remember the Grinch and Cacomallow?)

Edit:
There's a new leak from 4chan:
>direct opens with a smash reveal, Kokichi presses in to battle! Releasing Fall 2020
>N64 games are coming to NSO in September
>Rare Replay is coming to switch, this time featuring DKC 1, 2, AND 3, as well as DK64. 2020 release.
>an RPG featuring Inklings, Octolings, and other splatoon characters is shown off. 2021 release.
>Legend of Zelda: Call of The Dark is revealed, with a 2021 release.
>Mario Kart 9... no specific release.
The rest of these also have no specific release unless stated.
>Mario 35th anniversary 3D collection.
>New F-Zero
>Pikmin 4
>dumb stuff thrown in like Danganronpa trilogy, Clubhouse games DLC, and a few other things.
>New Banjo game. Uncertain if it's a remake, or threeie.
>direct ends with another smash reveal, Geno squares up!

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Edit:
>direct opens with a smash reveal, Kokichi presses in to battle! Releasing Fall 2020
>Rare Replay is coming to switch, this time featuring DKC 1, 2, AND 3, as well as DK64. 2020 release.
>an RPG featuring Inklings, Octolings, and other splatoon characters is shown off. 2021 release.
>New F-Zero
>Pikmin 4
>dumb stuff thrown in like Danganronpa trilogy, Clubhouse games DLC, and a few other things.
That is the fakest fake that has ever been faked

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Edit:
>New F-Zero
>Pikmin 4
Man, this is mega fake

Assuming the 3d Mario collection is rumored to feature a fairly unchanged Super Mario 64, I'm really doubtful on N64 games coming to NSO at all

why a new Mario Kart when MK8D's still selling like hotcakes?

And not sure Nintendo would be cool with the DKC games being featured in Rare Replay given there's a couple of M rated titles in there

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
True. Though to be honest, I don't know what character they could add that's more controversial then Byleth. At the least this last character will be better final reveal than Byleth is to alot of people

Will still be controversial because that's the Smash way
What is controversial about Byleth? Fire Emblem Tree Houses is the most successful Fire Emblem game till date. Byleth was always an EXTREMELY logical pick therefore.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
What is controversial about Byleth? Fire Emblem Tree Houses is the most successful Fire Emblem game till date. Byleth was always an EXTREMELY logical pick therefore.
Byleth is from Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem bad. Please clap.

zferolie

Smash Hero
its controversal to smash fans because they have a stigma against FE, Its kinda annoying now

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As much as I roll my eyes at the sheer number and repetitive nature of fake 4chan leaks, I do admit I am amused at the fake titles created for them.

Fictional BotW sequels are rife with them, to the point where you can basically throw two or three poetic words together and have it sound vaguely plausible for a LoZ title.

Legend of Zelda: Eternity's River
Legend of Zelda: Quest of the Skies
Legend of Zelda: Silence in the Shadows

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Huh, Gamexplain did a video on the rumored Direct. I feel like they wouldn't have done this unless they have an inkling/information that it is coming, because I can't remember any time they did a prediction for a rumoured Direct that never happened.

inb4 it's another Micro Direct with "The next Smash character is from the ___ franchise!". Chaos reigns once again!

zferolie

Smash Hero
*clapping noises*
And its ONLY the American smash fans that are so against it. Whats with americans being so angry about the stupidst ****

EDIT: Yeah, if Gameexplain made a video, we are getting SOMETHING monday for sure I feel.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
its controversal to smash fans because they have a stigma against FE, Its kinda annoying now
It's almost like Smash fans aren't playing the home franchises of characters newly introduced to them through Smash Bros. Of course we know better than that, but you'd ALMOST think that.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Except when they selected him for the fighter pass, his game was still a year out before release. So unless you are implying that Nintendo has a branch of seers that look in to the future to see if a game will be positively received or not, the success of Three Houses had nothing to do with him being selected. Like he is a good character and all, but lets not act like he was chosen because of the success of Three Houses, because he wasn't.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Except when they selected him for the fighter pass, his game was still a year out before release. So unless you are implying that Nintendo has a branch of seers that look in to the future to see if a game will be positively received or not, the success of Three Houses had nothing to do with him being selected. Like he is a good character and all, but lets not act like he was chosen because of the success of Three Houses, because he wasn't.
Fire Emblem Three Houses was already a hugely ambitious project before its release. 4 different paths to the story, all drastically different, 3 House Leaders to choose from, Fire Emblem returning to home consoles.... Of COURSE it would be successful. They put their heart and soul into this master piece. I think it's the best game for the Switch so far honestly.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Byleth was controversial because according to some on the internet, Byleth themselves came to your home, smashed everything you owned that wasn't FE related, and then called your most wanted a nerd.

In short, FE bad, swords are the root of all evil, and anime will destroy us all.:4pacman:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
>New F-Zero
>Pikmin 4
"Kokichi presses into battle"
that's a hydraulic-level bruh right there
While I'm like 100% sure this leak is fake (cue Kokichi "it's a lie" voice clip), I do think the DR trilogy is pretty likely to get onto Switch soon. The anniversary just happened with the mobile ports, and AI: The Somnium Files is proof that Spike Chunsoft is fine with putting their darker games onto Switch.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Controversial Byleth opinion: I wish he was a pure swordsman, only using the Sword of the Creator instead of also using the Hero Relics of the House Leaders.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's the case of "too many anime swordsmen" and "too many fire emblem characters".

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't think its really big mystery as to why there was some antipathy towards Byleth.

You have a franchise that's already accused by some of being over-represented, from a game genre many Smash fans don't play (and potentially an art style some may not like to boot), as the fifth character in fighter's pass that all had distinct third party newcomers, and in a mystery presentation that had nothing to mitigate fans that weren't interested in them (no other Nintendo news, no other character reveals, no hints as to when the next fighter was even coming).

Whether you agree with any of that reasoning or think its fair or unfair, the ensuing salt about Byleth is hardly some enigma if you even anything about the context.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Byleth was controversial because according to some on the internet, Byleth themselves came to your home, smashed everything you owned that wasn't FE related, and then called your most wanted a nerd.

In short, FE bad, swords are the root of all evil, and anime will destroy us all.:4pacman:
Also, those same hypocritical fans want characters like Sora or Lloyd who are anime sword fighters:
387r0z77lkb51.jpg

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also, those same hypocritical fans want characters like Sora or Lloyd who are anime sword fighters:
And Dante.

Though with the case of Fire Emblem. It has more to do with how many characters are in then it being "anime swordsmen".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom