• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So do you guys think we're getting something this week? Even if not I do think it's close. I could otherwise see next week or sometime in August.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So do you guys think we're getting something this week? Even if not I do think it's close. I could otherwise see next week or sometime in August.
This week as in Monday? Yeah.

This is so weirdly specific yet so safe at the same time, the dude might as well say his uncle works at Nintendo
I don't follow too much. in any case if we were to take Papa's word, it did seem like the guy was around the cat leaker or so

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Papagenos is a Complicated Man, But I believe while he's wrong many times, He also can be right, and I don't think he would lie about talking to this Guy associated with Cat Leaker
Maybe he's not lying about talking to this person, but this guy has so many "sources" that the information could easily be fake.

He's simply not trustworthy.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't know, swords are pretty standard as well if you ask me. For that reason if people complain about sword characters, they should be coherent with themselves and also complain about brawlers.
"Brawlers have more variety, each one uses their body in different ways" Well, same with sword users. Both Marth and Ike use a sword as a weapon of choice, but the way they use it it's very different.
Swords are obviously the most standard weapon you're going to find in a fighting game, but Smash was built on characters that punch and kick, so that's the norm the series set itself. In 64 1/12 characters used a sword, 4/25 in Melee, and 6/35 in Brawl, so sword users were definitely outliers during the series' formative years (and still are for that matter, but I'm not going to go into the discussion of whether there are too many or not). What counts as a brawler is probably going to be subjective, so I'm not really sure about the exact numbers, but they have always made up the majority of Smash's roster, so it's not odd that people are more accepting towards them, chances are you wouldn't be a fan of Smash if you have a problem with punching and kicking.

Anyways, this isn't really my argument to make, because I honestly don't have a strong opinion on whether a character uses a sword or not. There are sword characters I'd love to see (Black Knight and The Knight are two of my most wanted), and there are sword characters I wouldn't like to see, in either case my opinion isn't shaped by their weapon of choice. I just don't think the argument that punchy kickies should also be criticized holds much water, it's pretty obvious why they're considered the norm.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Maybe he's not lying about talking to this person, but this guy has so many "sources" that the information could easily be fake.

He's simply not trustworthy.
Yeah You do gotta take Papa with a Grain of Salt. same thing with people like Fatmanonice

at the same time, at least with Papa, he has had correct sources in the past, so it's like flipping a coin

"I'm not an insider myself, but I have connections to an insider, so you can still trust me 100%"
Maybe not 100%. we just gotta look at all the claims case by case

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I'm inclined to believe in a Direct this week less because of leaks or insiders, but more due to the fact that with Origami King out, Nintendo now has nothing significant laid out for the rest of the year. As great as I'm sure the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles remake next month will be, its not exactly enough to keep people's interest.

Hell I'd be happy just to get a release date for Sports Story, let alone actual major games.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yeah You do gotta take Papa with a Grain of Salt. same thing with people like Fatmanonice

at the same time, at least with Papa, he has had correct sources in the past, so it's like flipping a coin
More like a mine's worth of salt. Pseudo-insiders like the two you mentioned don't have any real industry contacts besides the bottom of the chain.

If they tried pulling the **** they do here and on Discord in places like Resetera they'd be banned on sight. Because they're not reputable in the slightest.
I mean he did have that VR plant leaker.
Give 1 million monkeys 1 million typewriters and they'll eventually type the entire works of Shakespeare.

1 correct source doesn't counteract the countless incorrect sources before and after it.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly I'm inclined to believe in a Direct this week less because of leaks or insiders, but more due to the fact that with Origami King out, Nintendo now has nothing significant laid out for the rest of the year. As great as I'm sure the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles remake next month will be, its not exactly enough to keep people's interest.

Hell I'd be happy just to get a release date for Sports Story, let alone actual major games.
There's also the new tab on the SSBU website getting removed. I think we'll be getting something by the end of the month at the very most.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
More like a mine's worth of salt. Pseudo-insiders like the two you mentioned don't have any real industry contacts besides the bottom of the chain.

If they tried pulling the **** they do here and on Discord in places like Resetera they'd be banned on sight. Because they're not reputable in the slightest.

Give 1 million monkeys 1 million typewriters and they'll eventually type the entire works of Shakespeare.

1 correct source doesn't counteract the countless incorrect sources before and after it.
I don't trust Papagenos, but it's pretty clear the Fire Piranha Plant guy was legit. There weren't that many people speculating for Mario Tennis Aces (especially after the game was released) and Fire Piranha Plant is such a bizarre choice that it's really hard to chalk it up to a lucky guess. Getting the VR Mode right for Smash was also a pretty big prediction.

The issue with Papagenos' leaks are the same issue with /v/'s leaks, for everything they get right they 30 things wrong. It's hard to bet on their odds.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Best to not take any leaker or person who knows a leaker directly at their word.
Just as long as it's not a random 4chan post with nothing but a potato video backing it up, it'll be good as entertainment.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Isn't it the nature of leaks to be wrong 99% of the time? I mean, we get constant leaks a lot, but most of them are fake. But there will always be some legit insider info and leaks, and only sometimes are there seen ahead of time.

Honestly, its just best to assume everything is fake, but don't get mad or whatnot, have fun looking them over, and imagining a what if situation

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Y'all ever think about the fact that we have three insiders (NateDrake, Kelios, and King Zell) backing up the idea that there will be a Direct next week, alongside the disappearance of the "New" tag on the Smash website indicating news soon?

If there's not a Direct next week, I cannot even begin to imagine the fallout.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Y'all ever think about the fact that we have three insiders (NateDrake, Kelios, and King Zell) backing up the idea that there will be a Direct next week, alongside the disappearance of the "New" tag on the Smash website indicating news soon?

If there is No Direct, That means Nintendo has become a god at Baiting leakers. All apart of the plan

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

As they would normally say. There's always a first time.

Also possibility they could had gotten wrong source or misinterpreted information.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Already got the gif ready, just in case:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
My predictions on the possible realistic characters that they could add

>Doomguy
>Axel Stone
>Nightmare
>Crash
>Hayabusa
>Dante
>Amateratsu
>Sol Badguy
>Phoenix wright

I firmly believe the pass will have at least 3 from this list personally

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
If a leak doesn't contain true info, then it's not a leak, it's a rumor. Wish we stopped calling everything leaks when this is obviously not the case.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My predictions on the possible realistic characters that they could add

>Doomguy
>Axel Stone
>Nightmare
>Crash
>Hayabusa
>Dante
>Amateratsu
>Sol Badguy
>Phoenix wright

I firmly believe the pass will have at least 3 from this list personally
Doom Slayer was deconfirmed based on the interview though.

Also I would add 2B, BotW2 character, Gen 8 Pokemon, Geno, Lloyd Irving, Master Chief, Rayman, Rex, Sora, Steve, and Travis Touchdown.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
If a leak doesn't contain true info, then it's not a leak, it's a rumor. Wish we stopped calling everything leaks when this is obviously not the case.
honestly i think we're all just used to saying it at this point. plus, it's usually easier to say

like ryza leak rolls off the tongue better than ryza rumour

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Me when the Direct doesn't happen on Monday and we're still left in the dark about future Nintendo projects for the rest of 2020 and beyond:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
To be fair, If they give him the Bayonetta treatment, Dante probably would just use his Sword. Granted I really hope that doesn't happen because I want Dante's Moveset to be Sick as Possible. But Dante does Primarily uses his Sword though above all else.
they can always take this kind of route
andres-akatsuya-gil-vazquez-dante-moveset-smashx-akatsuya.jpg

to add: his UI gimmick can be the Royal Guard system, with mechanics built straight off from Ultimate's perfect shielding and Terry's dodge attack.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Me when the Direct doesn't happen on Monday and we're still left in the dark about future Nintendo projects for the rest of 2020 and beyond:

It's on the other end of the Nintendo Heavenly Path where all the games are!

For I am the flutist who shall guide your way there. TERRY CREWS!

OK I did just find this and wanted to use in a post.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Especially since there's nothing after Origami King. I'd imagine Nintendo's going to want to get some new info out as soon as possible, but they can't because they shadowdropped TOK back when they were still getting things under control with COVID. Now that things are mellowing out in Japan (Unless it sprang back up again), you'd think things would start returning to normal. If we don't get a Direct next week, Nintendo's Twitter comments will become a veritable forest fire.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
the more i think about it the more Id be shocked if Axel DIDNT get in this pass

>recent revival
>comes from one of the most iconic beat em ups of all time
>soundtrack was revolutionary back then
>was one of SEGAS huge series before they fell over
>we dont have a beat em up rep yet
>nintendo and sega seem to be on good terms

I think Axel is the big "slept on 90s char" this pass like Terry was last pass. Like NO ONE expected Terry but he makes so much sense in hindsight. Axel feels about the same way honestly. Tho what sucks is if he does get in where not gonna hear the end of "hobo ken" jokes

7NATOR

Smash Master

>recent revival

I think Axel is the big "slept on 90s char" this pass like Terry was last pass. Like NO ONE expected Terry but he makes so much sense in hindsight. Axel feels about the same way honestly. Tho what sucks is if he does get in where not gonna hear the end of "hobo ken" jokes
I guess we are complete inverses, I'd be Shocked if Axel did get in this game. I still can see him as possibility, im open-minded. But i don't think he'd be our Sega character this pass

SharkLord

Smash Hero

>recent revival

WE ARE KEN BRIGADE

cashregister9

Smash Hero

>recent revival

I personally disagree because if we need a SEGA brawler rep Kiryu exists. I don't think it is controversial to say that Yakuza is more popular than Streets Of Rage, and If the character has to be from Streets of Rage Blaze Fielding is more easily marketable.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I personally disagree because if we need a SEGA brawler rep Kiryu exists. I don't think it is controversial to say that Yakuza is more popular than Streets Of Rage, and If the character has to be from Streets of Rage Blaze Fielding is more easily marketable.
Blaze isnt the main character, Axel is. That would be like having Mai instead of Terry so that point doesnt make a lot of sense

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
....why would be blaze be more marketable? axel is more of an overall poster boy for streets of rage

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Blaze isnt the main character, Axel is. That would be like having Mai instead of Terry so that point doesnt make a lot of sense
....why would be blaze be more marketable? axel is more of an overall poster boy for streets of rage
I guess what I mean is. It is easier to sell more non Streets of Rage fans on Blaze than another Blonde fighting man.

It is not really a good point for deciding who gets to be in smash though. I will concede there that point was not the greatest

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom