• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If y'all thought Square Enix Spec was tough, Sega Spec's a ****ing dead heat race lol.

A second Sonic character, Arle, Kiryu, Sakura, Axel Stone, Opa Opa, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Each are viable picks for a second Sega rep.

And before anyone asks: No, I'm not doing a second series on just Sega reps. I'll maybe be covering two of them soon enough, but I ain't ever doing another company spec series. Nuh-uh. Never again.
SEGA fans feel a lot chill about each other's most wanteds, like Capcom fans.

Meanwhile, nothing about SE speculation is chill.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't really see how that'd be an issue. Different companies are easier to work with than others-For example, SNK's really easy to get a crossover with, including Terry in Fighting Layer EX before getting another crossover appearance in Smash. I don't see how an easy-to-get series would wrap around to being impossible just because of how easy it is.
impossible? i wasnt talking about it being hard to get the character. I'm saying Nintendo has to think of liabilities too. If some companies have low standards then their characters might end up being known for things that nintendo doesnt agree with, in example.

I dont think it's that odd to consider that side. Touhou doesnt work like other copyrights, it's very open, so it's something to consider. It might not matter at all, but who knows.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
In terms of another Sega rep. I think it comes down to Arle and Kiryu.
I wonder why everyone's been focused on Kiryu lately. Not complaining, but where's the source of all this sudden support downpour?

Are people only now becoming enlightened in the ways of Yakuza? :bowsette:

Shroob

Sup?
I wonder why everyone's been focused on Kiryu lately. Not complaining, but where's the source of all this sudden support downpour?

More or less, the Smash bubble found something that didn't turn them away instantly.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Yakuza director mentionned that he would like Yakuza in Smash https://powerup-gaming.com/2019/04/...i-would-want-yakuza-characters-in-smash-bros/ , I think that this start the conversation about him a bit. But also from what I've heard (haven't played Yakuza) he's just a really cool characters that could actually fit very well despite being a more "realist" franchise.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Sonics been pretty much dormant as a franchise while most of Sega's attention has been on Yakuza, so for some people Kiryu is like a second mascot for Sega this making him a logical choice.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Not to toot my own horn, but i've been trying to shill Kiryu pretty hard in this thread. I hope my few Jones level post about Yakuza has lead to the character being more talked about within the smash speculation circle.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
he's just a really cool characters that could actually fit very well despite being a more "realist" franchise.
kiryu could smack mario upside the head with a bike and not think twice about it

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
SEGA fans feel a lot chill about each other's most wanteds, like Capcom fans.

Meanwhile, nothing about SE speculation is chill.
Touché.

While Sega is a much more intense competition, the fans are also a lot more chill (except maybe the Sonic fans, they never seem chill).

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
From what I've heard (haven't played Yakuza) he's just a really cool characters that could actually fit very well despite being a more "realist" franchise.
Yeah when a series has stuff like this alongside realistic crime drama:

You can really see how Yakuza would fit into Smash.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
For those unsure about Yakuza

Listen to this soundtrack it has many bangers

EDIT
Remixes:
Baka Mitai
Receive You
Bubble

Regular music:
Receive You ~Tech Trance~
Victory Road
t u s k
Yakuza 0 English Opening
Pledge of Demon
Start of the end
Before Dawn
Destiny

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
kiryu dlc.png

Listen to any song on this list I made back when I filled out this template for Kiryu and you'll not be disappointed. I wanted to include so much more than this, but I was already running out of room as it was.

ok but don't listen to these if you're interested in yakuza actually a lot of these songs are boss themes and thus will probably spoil something for you if you haven't played yakuza

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yakuza is like Sonic and Persona in that most if not all of the music is golden.

I especially like how some of the songs in Yakuza zero capture the 80's vibe perfectly, like disco queen of love

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What would Kiryu have for a recovery? I'm trying to remember all of his moves in the games and the only thing I can think about happening isn't even from Yakuza, I just see Kiryu ****ing grabbing someone in the air and dunking them down with him Android 16 style.

You know what they say, "Don't mess with Sonic fans, they don't actually like Sonic".
"Don't mess with Yakuza fans, they'll beat the **** out of you while doing a karaoke number."

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know what they say, "Don't mess with Sonic fans, they don't actually like Sonic".
I'm glad the latest adaptations like Sonic Movie and IDW comics brought some much-needed positivity back to the fandom, at least.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm glad the latest adaptations like Sonic Movie and IDW comics brought some much-needed positivity back to the fandom, at least.
Didn't the IDW comic characters get hate because they got in a ****ing mobile game instead of Archie lol

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
What would Kiryu have for a recovery? I'm trying to remember all of his moves in the games and the only thing I can think about happening isn't even from Yakuza, I just see Kiryu ****ing grabbing someone in the air and dunking them down with him Android 16 style.
That is an excellent question. I'm sure there's something you could pull from in a Heat Action somewhere, but for the life of me I can't think of it.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

"Don't mess with Yakuza fans, they'll beat the **** out of you while doing a karaoke number."

Use Nugget to glide OoT style

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That is an excellent question. I'm sure there's something you could pull from in a Heat Action somewhere, but for the life of me I can't think of it.
I'm all for the grab dunk if nothing else.

source.gif

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

That's pretty much what I picture his recovery being.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Touché.

While Sega is a much more intense competition, the fans are also a lot more chill (except maybe the Sonic fans, they never seem chill).
No Sega characters are seen as particularly likely; it's easier to be chill when you have low expectations.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice

In other news, even Source Gaming has bought into the Direct hype.
I mean, could simply be jumping on the train cause it's getting good views with others talking about it.

Honestly, it's gonna be hilarious if there's no Direct at all this coming week.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Even though I would prefer Kiryu in smash, I think I'm starting to understand the appeal for Arle more.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, could simply be jumping on the train cause it's getting good views with others talking about it.

Honestly, it's gonna be hilarious if there's no Direct at all this coming week.
If there's no news tomorrow or Monday, that's what I'm counting on TBH.

Nintendo's an enigma. You see how they have no games coming out? They don't care, they'll just announce a game via a trailer drop one day and be like "Ta-dah" ala Origami King.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
pocket.jpg

If Kiryu shows up in Smash his stage should have Pocket circuit fighter as the announcer instead of Xander. Yelling his incredibly memorable "GO!!"

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I am more of a Atlus guy than a Sega guy, but since Atlus is owned by Sega, and the Atlus characters are now treated as Sega characters. I am hoping for some characters from Atlus like Highlander/Frederica Irving (Etrian Odyssey), Fafnir Knight/Arianna Caledonia (Etrian Odyssey), Stocke (Radiant Historia), or Derek Stiles (Trauma Center).

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
i want a shin megami tensei fighter so we can say SMT got into Smash before SMTV got a release date

we could even pull a roy and have the SMTV protag DEBUT in Smash before SMTV comes out

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
With all these SEGA characters mentioned, I'm surprised no one mentioned NiGHTS (unless I missed it). He'd be pretty cool! I wonder how they'd do his moveset, too. Could be like an opposite Little Mac, I suppose, really good in the air, bad on ground. Though I'd personally be happy with any SEGA char, much like Capcom they have more than enough characters to fill full passes with good characters.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i want a shin megami tensei fighter so we can say SMT got into Smash before SMTV got a release date

we could even pull a roy and have the SMTV protag DEBUT in Smash before SMTV comes out
youre not satisfied with joker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom