• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hold up. Echoes are supposed to have the same skeleton as the original, and she didn't get into Brawl because she couldn't use Fox's skeleton.
Actually no. It was because on top of being a very requested character at the time. Wolf also had a easier model to base off of Fox.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Wait, so both an Honor of Kings character in Samsho AND a Samsho character in Honor of Kings?

Tbh, we should have seen this coming given the close relation between SNK's current owners and the rest of Tencent, I suppose.

All things considered, we should be looking into other possible relations through Tencent, methinks. I'm obviously biased towards Riot and League of Legends, but there are probably a good number of them.
Yeah, it's probably League if Nintendo talks to Tencent directly.

The other potential IP Tencent majority owns is Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile). PoE is not in the conversation at all though, so not likely. That said, kinda think it'd be fun to speculate about PoE: I just don't know where to start since I don't play that game.

Their most notable minority stake is Epic Games, but they do also have smaller (5 %) minority shares in Ubisoft and Activision-Blizzard, as well as 1,5 % in BlueHole (PUBG). They also recently got a 20 % share in Marvelous (Story of Seasons).

Tencent also has connections with Capcom (the mobile game Street Fighter Duel, which TiMi develops), Konami (the mobile game Contra Return, again by TiMi) and Koei Tecmo (a Dynasty Warriors mobile game, by you guessed it). No shares there (like with SNK), but they're nevertheless connections.

Yeah, they have a massive web of connections. The reliance on connections is a weakness of theirs - since they rely on them a lot of the time (more than most major corps do anyway) and they don't have a strong history of game development outside mobiles. The monetization freeze that the Chinese government / regime imposed in 2018 hurt Tencent badly (at least $160 Billion lost during the freeze. Not kidding.) since they couldn't make money off of PUBG Mobile or other games.

I personally suspect that it was the freeze that lead Tencent to approach Nintendo in the first place - the freeze also exposed Tencent's lacking console presence.

Also By the way guys, are most, if not all of you in agreement that we will have a Swordwielder in this pass?
Probably, yes. There are a lot of swordwielders I'd love, but I'm most partial for Dante and his crazy style switching with the swordplay included.

Could one count Master Chief? Maaayybe? The Energy Sword's an iconic weapon of the setting.

2B also has a decent shot, and so do many other swordwielders.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
alright so the reason the ryza leak was even brought up in the first place was the announcement of atelier ryza 2, right?

now i know jack about atelier admittedly, but from other people in this thread, there are two things in particular i've learned:

1. atelier is a yearly series
2. ryza was the most successful game in the series apparently

with that in mind.....wouldn't the sequel to the most successful game in a yearly series be actually pretty easy to guess?

zferolie

Smash Hero
alright so the reason the ryza leak was even brought up in the first place was the announcement of atelier ryza 2, right?

now i know jack about atelier admittedly, but from other people in this thread, there are two things in particular i've learned:

1. atelier is a yearly series
2. ryza was the most successful game in the series apparently

with that in mind.....wouldn't the sequel to the most successful game in a yearly series be actually pretty easy to guess?
Its semi yearly, but still yes kinda easy, but they still never have done a numbered sequel before

7NATOR

Smash Master
Maybe all the Increased focus on Western content could mean League, owned by Riot who is Western Based, despite being owned by Chinese Company

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe all the Increased focus on Western content could mean League, owned by Riot who is Western Based, despite being owned by Chinese Company
I'm not looking forward to if the next Direct is a mini and they pull an ARMs reveal for League rofl.

12-18 characters like ARMs? Nbd.

League has like, 140 characters.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Someone claimed they talked with Kelios and that Kelios said it was a normal one. But clearly that isn't quite the case. We'll see if we get a rare weekend announcement.
I'm pretty sure Kelios said that it was a standard Direct because (according to his sources) many games are going to be featured in the presentation ... which is the same thing that Jeff Grubb said back in March when he talked about the Direct on the 26th, and we all know how that turned out.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'll concede defeat on the Blaze thing

Also By the way guys, are most, if not all of you in agreement that we will have a Swordwielder in this pass?
I mean, games have a lot of swords. Smash used characters from various games Nintendo thinks would be profitable, therefore smash has a lot of swords.
Anyways, the most likely ones are Rex and Lloyd. That being said, I'm stilling holding out hope for Isaac. There's also Ryu Hayabusa or Lu Bu for a Koei Tecmo rep. 2B's a recent major success, and Sol Badguy could be a darkhorse pick (Though he seems more like a brawler to me). Euden's also a bit of a sleeper pick, given Dragalia Lost is Nintendo's major mobile game.
On the topic of mobile games, we could also get someone from Grablue Fantasy given Cygames makes both Granblue and Dragalia. Euden may have competition from Gran/Katalina/Whoever the heck is the face of the series. It's a matter of if Nintendo wants to go for their own IP, or if they're willing to take advantage of their connections.
I'm all up for Dante, but he only truly became a speculation heavy-hitter after Byleth. Sure, Capcom was giving the series a bump on Nintendo, but he's still got competition from Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, etc. I don't think he's as likely as everyone thinks.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm not looking forward to if the next Direct is a mini and they pull an ARMs reveal for League rofl.

*Shudders again*

Please.

Oh no.

Not that guessing game.

That's a game I like.

If Nintendo were so cruel, I'd commit ritual sudoku.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, it's probably League if Nintendo talks to Tencent directly.

The other potential IP Tencent majority owns is Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile). PoE is not in the conversation at all though, so not likely. That said, kinda think it'd be fun to speculate about PoE: I just don't know where to start since I don't play that game.

Their most notable minority stake is Epic Games, but they do also have smaller (5 %) minority shares in Ubisoft and Activision-Blizzard, as well as 1,5 % in BlueHole (PUBG). They also recently got a 20 % share in Marvelous (Story of Seasons).

Tencent also has connections with Capcom (the mobile game Street Fighter Duel, which TiMi develops), Konami (the mobile game Contra Return, again by TiMi) and Koei Tecmo (a Dynasty Warriors mobile game, by you guessed it). No shares there (like with SNK), but they're nevertheless connections.

Yeah, they have a massive web of connections. The reliance on connections is a weakness of theirs - since they rely on them a lot of the time (more than most major corps do anyway) and they don't have a strong history of game development outside mobiles. The monetization freeze that the Chinese government / regime imposed in 2018 hurt Tencent badly (at least $160 Billion lost during the freeze. Not kidding.) since they couldn't make money off of PUBG Mobile or other games.

I personally suspect that it was the freeze that lead Tencent to approach Nintendo in the first place - the freeze also exposed Tencent's lacking console presence.
I see... then League does seem to have the best shot. Sure, I guess there's the minority properties like Marvelous, but I doubt Travis Touchdown would really count as a "Tencent pick". So regardless, League seems to be their biggest long-term IP.

Really curious to see how future crossovers pan out involving all of this.

Actually, 150, as of Yone, who will launch... sometime this year, I guess.

And yes, I'm aware that doesn't make things any better. :roll:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That’s what y’all get for not giving him a vocal role in GIANTS. :troll:
I know he's not the most broken character in the game by any means but

God he's just not fun when he's in game.

Your Yasuo: 0-10 by 20 minutes.

Their Yasuo: TORIYAAAH! KSSH! KSHHH! HASAKI! TUYAAAAAAH! "VICTORY!"

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Honestly I'd be fine if we had an ARMS situation for first party. Just not on that length of time of a few months. I think the wait will be a bit snappier though.

Still I have my predictions of what I'm expecting.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait for Game I Played on the PS3 Ten Years Ago and Game I Played on the DS 15 Years Ago. But I'm REALLY excited for the big holiday release, a compilation of Game I Played on the N64 20 Years Ago, Game I Played on the Gamecube 15 Years Ago, and Games I Played on the Wii 10 Years Ago. Who else here HYPE?

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I know he's not the most broken character in the game by any means but

God he's just not fun when he's in game.

Your Yasuo: 0-10 by 20 minutes.

Their Yasuo: TORIYAAAH! KSSH! KSHHH! HASAKI! TUYAAAAAAH! "VICTORY!"
You forgot the mastery emote spam and the trashtalking in chat - both trademarks of every good Yasuo.

Actually, the correct term is seppuku, unless you actually are performing a ritualistic number puzzle.
Who's to say he isn't performing a ritualistic number puzzle? :p

Shroob

Sup?
I can't wait for Game I Played on the PS3 Ten Years Ago and Game I Played on the DS 15 Years Ago. But I'm REALLY excited for the big holiday release, a compilation of Game I Played on the N64 20 Years Ago, Game I Played on the Gamecube 15 Years Ago, and Games I Played on the Wii 10 Years Ago. Who else here HYPE?
I'd gladly shell out 60 bucks to have HD Windwaker on Switch.

Would I do the same for HD Sunshine?

1595026418587.png

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm all up for Dante, but he only truly became a speculation heavy-hitter after Byleth. Sure, Capcom was giving the series a bump on Nintendo, but he's still got competition from Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, etc. I don't think he's as likely as everyone thinks.
I don’t think that’s accurate and not backed by Volume 1.

While Dante has never been in the larger conversation (I blame that on him not being on Nintendo consoles) he’s been a more minor suggestion for years.

Also, if “not being in the conversation” means one is unlikely, then we would have literally never gotten Joker, Hero without Vergeben mentioning him, Terry Bogard, or Byleth. Instead, we would have gotten several characters who have been in the conversation for years, like Geno, Waluigi, Bandanna Waddle Dee, and others.

I don’t think that matters at all.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man, people on the Geno thread think that the Gamestop video's comment that was edited a few times was actually damage control, and some even think Geno could still be in because of that. I don't really think that the video really meant Geno was getting into Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable character, you know what I mean?

SKX31

Smash Master
I just want news on new games man.
I'm pretty sure they will, after they're done celebrating TOK's release:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

While Dante has never been in the larger conversation (I blame that on him not being on Nintendo consoles) he’s been a more minor suggestion for years.

Also, if “not being in the conversation” means one is unlikely, then we would have literally never gotten Joker, Hero without Vergeben mentioning him, Terry Bogard, or Byleth.

Dante wasn't in the larger conversation before Ultimate at least, no - but wasn't he the one a lot of people hoped would be FP5 due to news on DMC 3's Switch port happening at the same day? Correct me if I'm wrong.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Fwiw I doubt they made a habit out of the ARMS style of reveal.

Also, if “not being in the conversation” means one is unlikely, then we would have literally never gotten Joker, Hero without Vergeben mentioning him, Terry Bogard, or Byleth. Instead, we would have gotten several characters who have been in the conversation for years, like Geno, Waluigi, Bandanna Waddle Dee, and others.

Tbf, it wasn't post-Byleth, but Dante support was pretty low-key until well into last year.

He has a lot to thank for the ports, the statement from the devs, the RE deconfirm, and the fake claims. All of which were things that happened last year, or early this year.

So calling him a recent heavy-hitter in terms of speculation is accurate.

Man, people on the Geno thread think that the Gamestop video's comment that was edited a few times was actually damage control, and some even think Geno could still be in because of that. I don't really think that the video really meant Geno was getting into Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable character, you know what I mean?
People still believe that Cacomallow is a thing too. People still believe the SMRPG tracks being taken down on one channel (but easily found on many others) means something. People believe what they want to believe.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Dante start getting some talk after E3 2018 when the DmC 5 leak with Dante in Smash appeared on 4chan and had acucurate info on the game. He then start being talked about even more when the director said that he was open to Dante in Smash if DmC hit the switch, which it did soon after. There was also a theory about a tweek made by Kamiya where he was asking about which Dante we would want to see fight Bayonetta (for some reason people thought this was link to smash). Finally there was the whole DmC news that was on the same date of FP5 presentation, and the voice actor of Nero that said that Dante was in Smash (but it was a mistake). Dante was a pretty popualr character for pretty much the whole lifespan of Ultimate because of all those rumors. Although I agree that he start really being talk a lot near the end of FP5, he was stiull mentionned here and there before that.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I agree. Not being in the conversation hasn't stopped a lot of characters to get in. And Dante isn't precisely a character that needs a ton of presence in speculation or a lot of demand from core Smash fans to get in. He's a pick that makes sense in multiple aspects beyond "presence in speculation".
Characters such as Dante, Crash, Lara Croft and more don't really need fan demand. They could have literally 0 fan demand and still get in just because we're talking of mother****ing Dante/Crash/Lara Croft.

Dante wasn't in the larger conversation before Ultimate at least, no - but wasn't he the one a lot of people hoped would be FP5 due to news on DMC 3's Switch port happening at the same day? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, yeah. But as you said, that date was for DMC3 Switch news, nothing more. Obviously it was a curious coincidence that FP5 was scheduled the same date as the DMC3 Switch news, and well, people started to assume it was Dante.
I'm the first one that would have liked to have him as FP5, but there was literally 0 evidence towards him, it was super obvious it was nothing.

Capcom never said "we will announce something about DMC", in that case, I'd have understood people thinking of Smash, but from the beginning it was just a date for the DMC3 features on the Switch.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
People still believe that Cacomallow is a thing too. People still believe the SMRPG tracks being taken down on one channel (but easily found on many others) means something. People believe what they want to believe.
I think there is more to that than you see. Sure, some apparent ignorance may be involved (not to call Geno fans ignorant here), there is more as to why they believe these kinds of things rather than just it is what they want to hear. It might make sense to them, or it might be interesting. Heck! Not everyone may believe things like CacoMallow is real, but they may still pay attention to it or give it the benefit of the doubt, if I am using that correctly. The believing what they want to hear is only the outward appearance of things.

But I do see your point. Some people do take it too far.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think there is more to that than you see. Sure, some apparent ignorance may be involved (not to call Geno fans ignorant here), there is more as to why they believe these kinds of things rather than just it is what they want to hear. It might make sense to them, or it might be interesting. Heck! Not everyone may believe things like CacoMallow is real, but they may still pay attention to it or give it the benefit of the doubt, if I am using that correctly. The believing what they want to hear is only the outward appearance of things.

But I do see your point. Some people do take it too far.
It's not just Geno fans - supporters of any character are known to put undeserved credence in tenuous theories because it suits the outcome they want. Even if they're not going to deem it a lock doesn't mean the level of belief they hold isn't still above what someone without a leaning towards that character would consider reasonable.

And yes there are those who might not be attached to the character but still think the theory makes sense, but those people make up more of the minority the more incredulous the theory is.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Look, If anyone deserves to be in Smash next to 2B, it is definitely Dante and I would be stoked to see him but personally, I'd like to see Nero instead. I think Nero has some good potential as a smasher

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Geno has a chance for sure, but looking at all these little things as if they mean something is just reading into things too far.
When I first saw the gamestop video, it was clear enough that they either didnt know what they were talking about, or just meant the spirit. Why would some random employees at gamestop know what no one else knows? :p

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Geno has a chance for sure, but looking at all these little things as if they mean something is just reading into things too far.
When I first saw the gamestop video, it was clear enough that they either didnt know what they were talking about, or just meant the spirit. Why would some random employees at gamestop know what no one else knows? :p
Of course, that is what I was trying to say. Some people do take it too far. I doubt this is damage control like they said.

It's not just Geno fans - supporters of any character are known to put undeserved credence in tenuous theories because it suits the outcome they want. Even if they're not going to deem it a lock doesn't mean the level of belief they hold isn't still above what someone without a leaning towards that character would consider reasonable.

And yes there are those who might not be attached to the character but still think the theory makes sense, but those people make up more of the minority the more incredulous the theory is.
I say you may have a point, including on the fact that Geno fans aren't the only ones who do this. Human nature does suck as it is so irrational, doesn't it?

I do want Geno as much as the next guy, but I say these Geno fans are setting themselves up for disappointment. Some don't even seem to care, sadly enough.

Still. I don't think the full picture on why these Geno fans, or any fanbase for that matter, act the way they do, though I say that may apply more to listening to a certain someone than something like a GameStop video, you know what I mean?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Of course, that is what I was trying to say. Some people do take it too far. I doubt this is damage control like they said.

I say you may have a point, including on the fact that Geno fans aren't the only ones who do this. Human nature does suck as it is so irrational, doesn't it?

I do want Geno as much as the next guy, but I say these Geno fans are setting themselves up for disappointment. Some don't even seem to care, sadly enough.

Still. I don't think the full picture on why these Geno fans, or any fanbase for that matter, act the way they do, though I say that may apply more to listening to a certain someone than something like a GameStop video, you know what I mean?
I think it's just the nature of bias. When someone wants something to be real, they can read too much into things because it makes it seem more real, which they're riding on. It's attachment. They're attached to Geno being in smash.

And it does happen all around, but you do see it more in some groups than others. Geno support has a long history and who knows where people are at emotionally with it all. There is more to the full picture, but I still think it's believing what they want to hear. But in any group, not everyone is like that.

Everyone's biased at least a little.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Obviously it varies from person to person, but I'd assume some have already faced a bunch of disappointment simply because they get their hopes up on every instance the thread starts believing the character is imminent. I mean even just this month there's been the 7/7 thing, the HotGirlVideos claims, the Legacy XP thing or whatever, and now this Gamestop debacle. There's probably been more, I just don't follow the thread. And we're only a little past halfway through the month.

I can't say I've seen another fanbase get so invested so frequently. And I imagine that that pace is to the detriment of some of those involved.

I wasn't speaking on the entire fanbase, just the people who put stock into the more outlandish theories.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think it's just the nature of bias. When someone wants something to be real, they can read too much into things because it makes it seem more real, which they're riding on. It's attachment. They're attached to Geno being in smash.

And it does happen all around, but you do see it more in some groups than others. Geno support has a long history and who knows where people are at emotionally with it all. There is more to the full picture, but I still think it's believing what they want to hear. But in any group, not everyone is like that.

Everyone's biased at least a little.
Yeah, sadly enough, that is why I said I thought human nature sucks. In my eyes, like it or not, bias is a part of human nature, and why we still discriminate others about things like race or opinion. In my point of view, if it could somehow be removed, it would be good. Maybe except for some things, but for others, humans would be better off without bias.

Obviously it varies from person to person, but I'd assume some have already faced a bunch of disappointment simply because they get their hopes up on every instance the thread starts believing the character is imminent. I mean even just this month there's been the 7/7 thing, the HotGirlVideos claims, and now this Gamestop debacle. There's probably been more, I just don't follow the thread. And we're only a little past halfway through the month.

I can't say I've seen another fanbase get so invested so frequently. And I imagine that that pace is to the detriment of some of those involved.

I wasn't speaking on the entire fanbase, just the people who put stock into the more outlandish theories.
I see. So, how many disappointments has the Geno fanbase had, if you know? The Geno fanbase's bias does seem more intense than other fanbases.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, sadly enough, that is why I said I thought human nature sucks. In my eyes, like it or not, bias is a part of human nature, and why we still discriminate others about things like race or opinion. In my point of view, if it could somehow be removed, it would be good. Maybe except for some things, but for others, humans would be better off without bias.

I see. So, how many disappointments has the Geno fanbase had, if you know? The Geno fanbase's bias does seem more intense than other fanbases.
Yeah it's just immaturity, I think people can grow out of it. But part of it isn't removing it, it's accepting it and growing aware of it. When you're aware of your biases, it's easier to know how you might go about things, and be more discerning. Some people think they're not biased, and that's worse, because they just dont see it.

And.. Geno fans have seen alot of disappointments over years. There have been periods of a lot of despair too, not holding the hope. IT's a rollercoaster for sure.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, how many disappointments has the Geno fanbase had? Countless. Some are understandable, like when the character just doesn't get in, or when they're relegated to a supporting role, but many are unnecessary because they're built on the back of shaky theory-crafting and over-investing.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah it's just immaturity, I think people can grow out of it. But part of it isn't removing it, it's accepting it and growing aware of it. When you're aware of your biase, it's easier to know how you might go about things, and be more discerning. Some people think they're not biased, and that's worse, because they just dont see it.

And.. Geno fans have seen alot of disappointments over years. There have been periods of a lot of despair, not holding the hope. IT's a rollercoaster for sure.
I would hate to say it, but I believe you are correct, especially about being more aware and accepting it. If you were to consider removing it, compared to accepting and being aware of it, I guess you could say about removing it; What fun would that be?

I mean, how many disappointments has the Geno fanbase had? Countless. Some are understandable, like when the character just doesn't get in, or when they're relegated to a supporting role, but many are unnecessary because they're built on the back of shaky theory-crafting and over-investing.
If only there was some way to help those Geno fans realize that. However, even if there were, we probably would not be able to convince all of them and make them more aware of what they are doing, like how no one can convert a whole group of people to change their point of view on one thing.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would hate to say it, but I believe you are correct, especially about being more aware and accepting it. If you were to consider removing it, compared to accepting and being aware of it, I guess you could say about removing it; What fun would that be?

If only there was some way to help those Geno fans realize that. However, even if there were, we probably would not be able to convince all of them and make them more aware of what they are doing, like how no one can convert a whole group of people to change their point of view on one thing.
Well there are some buddhist teachings for removing attachment, but I think that's kinda hard for most people. And it's kinda like heartbreak.. how can you not get attached to what you love. Of course it's going to hurt, but you learn and grow to be better at handling it, learning some lessons, and maybe not attaching as hard next time. For some people it takes a little longer to learn XD

Nothing wrong with desire. It's just.. there's ways to be positive without investing soo much into something you want happening. Not putting your happiness and beliefs in it. Just be happy in general, and enjoy cheering and being open to possibilities :)
Well.. easier said than done, but I still think that's the way to go about it :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom