• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If only there was some way to help those Geno fans realize that. However, even if there were, we probably would not be able to convince all of them and make them more aware of what they are doing, like how no one can convert a whole group of people to change their point of view on one thing.
Geno fans are currently where Ridley fans were Pre Smash 4 and K.Rool fans were in Smash 4 DLC's period.

They ended up crashing and burning due to deconfirmations, but afterwards they mellowed out and were a little more humble.

That's not to say that that a deconfirmation is what they need, but if one does happen, I can see it mellowing out the Geno fanbase.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
I never really cared or liked geno possibly getting in smash but eversince around 2009 miyamoto enforced a rule that mario games cant have new invented characters or even toads in different costumes anymore. I hope if geno gets in, it could inspire nintendo to make mario rpg games like the did before sticker star with more creative characters and exciting stories. You cant deny that geno is getting popular like king k. Rool/ridley/banjo kazooie

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I never really cared or liked geno possibly getting in smash but eversince around 2009 miyamoto enforced a rule that mario games cant have new invented characters or even toads in different costumes anymore. I hope if geno gets in, it could inspire nintendo to make mario rpg games like the did before sticker star with more creative characters and exciting stories. You cant deny that geno is getting popular like king k. Rool/ridley/banjo kazooie
Do you know where they said this? First time I hear that.
They do make new original bosses and stuff tho. And didn't odyssey have quite a bit of new stuff?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
but eversince around 2009 miyamoto enforced a rule that mario games cant have new invented characters or even toads in different costumes anymore
That's a mass oversimplification of what happened but I'm not getting into the argument right now.

So I'll just post a Koopaling thing and call it a day. :4ludwig:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If only there was some way to help those Geno fans realize that. However, even if there were, we probably would not be able to convince all of them and make them more aware of what they are doing, like how no one can convert a whole group of people to change their point of view on one thing.
I think it would probably mitigate some of the histrionics, sure, but in my experience, and this goes for pretty much every fanbase - people inside the fandom aren't usually too receptive to the opinions of people outside the fandom. Unless they're positive.

So, were it to change, it would probably have to come from within. What I think is likelier at this point, however, is the ride simply ends when it reaches its destination, or loses steam when it can proceed no further, via deconfirmation. Until then it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
Do you know where they said this? First time I hear that.
They do make new original bosses and stuff tho. And didn't odyssey have quite a bit of new stuff?
Heres a couple, Edit: havent played recent paper mario games so I wouldn’t know how accurate it is

Attachments

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Geno fans are currently where Ridley fans were Pre Smash 4 and K.Rool fans were in Smash 4 DLC's period.

They ended up crashing and burning due to deconfirmations, but afterwards they mellowed out and were a little more humble.

That's not to say that that a deconfirmation is what they need, but if one does happen, I can see it mellowing out the Geno fanbase.
Perhaps that is the case. I am not sure all of them will be mellowed by this, as it is going to be hard for some to become that. But I can't imagine that you are wrong here for the most part.

Well there are some buddhist teachings for removing attachment, but I think that's kinda hard for most people. And it's kinda like heartbreak.. how can you not get attached to what you love. Of course it's going to hurt, but you learn and grow to be better at handling it, learning some lessons, and maybe not attaching as hard next time. For some people it takes a little longer to learn XD

Nothing wrong with desire. It's just.. there's ways to be positive without investing soo much into something you want happening. Not putting your happiness and beliefs in it. Just be happy in general, and enjoy cheering and being open to possibilities :)
Well.. easier said than done, but I still think that's the way to go about it :D
Exactly, Teeb! I was talking about removing bias rather than attachment, if the two are any different, but still, your point stands. Unfortunately, the Geno fans are putting their happiness and beliefs into this way too much, especially over a video game character. If they were wrong, it could hurt them more than it could have a positive effect on them, even if they say otherwise. They have said that they would not be so upset, which I find hard to believe.

I think it would probably mitigate some of the histrionics, sure, but in my experience, and this goes for pretty much every fanbase - people inside the fandom aren't usually too receptive to the opinions of people outside the fandom. Unless they're positive.

So, were it to change, it would probably have to come from within. What I think is likelier at this point, however, is the ride simply ends when it reaches its destination, or loses steam when it can proceed no further, via deconfirmation. Until then it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Or maybe if those outside the Geno fanbase said good things about Geno being in the game in general as well. Still, people can still try to help them, but it is true as you said that change ultimately comes from within. Sadly, even if some people do change, others, with the inertia they may have, will not be able to do so, being unable to convince themselves to change.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hres a couple
Ok so mostly for paper mario. Honestly I didnt notice XD
There's always been new mario companions tho. And even the origami ones are new and all. So I dont know how much it's a thing or not.

Lol I'd almost forgot how bad it was at some points. I think I put it out of my mind cuz there were some unpleasant debates at some points.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
That's a mass oversimplification of what happened but I'm not getting into the argument right now.

So I'll just post a Koopaling thing and call it a day. :4ludwig:
Dont know much of it, But It would be interesting to know more about that. I also read miyamoto saw his caracters we’re getting complicated or something like that Gotta wonder what game game him that inpression.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Exactly, Teeb! I was talking about removing bias rather than attachment, if the two are any different, but still, your point stands. Unfortunately, the Geno fans are putting their happiness and beliefs into this way too much, especially over a video game character. If they were wrong, it could hurt them more than it could have a positive effect on them, even if they say otherwise. They have said that they would not be so upset, which I find hard to believe.
Oh definitely. Once in a while you do see a post around from someone who's like why are we putting so much into video game characters. It's a good question, but at the same time, it's how we feel about them that makes us interested in all the news and speculation, and more :p

Hmmm.. well desire leads to attachment, and attachment leads to bias. When you're attached, you don't want to believe it couldnt' happen, because that hurts. And it feels good to believe that it's true.
Humans wanna feel good XD But you're right, in the long term it hurts more to be wrong. Cuz then you're crushed, and wondering why your beliefs messed up.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh definitely. Once in a while you do see a post around from someone who's like why are we putting so much into video game characters. It's a good question, but at the same time, it's how we feel about them that makes us interested in all the news and speculation, and more :p

Hmmm.. well desire leads to attachment, and attachment leads to bias. When you're attached, you don't want to believe it couldnt' happen, because that hurts. And it feels good to believe that it's true.
Humans wanna feel good XD But you're right, in the long term it hurts more to be wrong. Cuz then you're crushed, and wondering why your beliefs messed up.
Of course. I guess you can even say wanting to feel good and being happy is like a drug in some way. The deeper you allow yourself to like something, the harder it is to get off of it and move on. I can imagine some people on the Geno forum being more crushed about being wrong than just moving on from it, depending on how each one is attached to wanting Geno. All especially if Geno does not get in, period. All that energy potentially wasted over nothing. There is also the sad fact that they may not realize it until it is too late, and it ends up hurting them so much.

That said, as one of the reasons I said that was against Geno in a post I made many pages back, I doubt Nintendo would actually want to aim to get Geno in this game. I mean, they are the ones deciding DLC, right? Plus, they aren't even Sakurai.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I just realized brands on Twitter can schedule automated tweets on Twitter to be posted at a specific time and date. So it is feasible that if there's a direct on Monday, the announcement can be posted on Sunday Morning via automated message. That's how the weekly events are posted every Tuesday night.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Of course. I guess you can even say wanting to feel good and being happy is like a drug in some way. The deeper you allow yourself to like something, the harder it is to get off of it and move on. I can imagine some people on the Geno forum being more crushed about being wrong than just moving on from it, depending on how each one is attached to wanting Geno. All especially if Geno does not get in, period. All that energy potentially wasted over nothing. There is also the sad fact that they may not realize it until it is too late, and it ends up hurting them so much.

That said, as one of the reasons I said that was against Geno in a post I made many pages back, I doubt Nintendo would actually want to aim to get Geno in this game. I mean, they are the ones deciding DLC, right? Plus, they aren't even Sakurai.
Well, it's a new fighter pass, and who knows, maybe nintendo would want sakurai to have a few from the poll list. Geno was up there in terms of votes, and even a character sakurai wanted in the past, so there's still enough in Geno's favor for it to be possible.

Personally, I don't think it'll happen, but it's definitely still possible. I wouldnt' be surprised if it did, is what I mean. I just think it'll be more relevant characters.

I still think it could be 3 nintendo characters and 3 third party characters

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, it's a new fighter pass, and who knows, maybe nintendo would want sakurai to have a few from the poll list. Geno was up there in terms of votes, and even a character sakurai wanted in the past, so there's still enough in Geno's favor for it to be possible.

Personally, I don't think it'll happen, but it's definitely still possible. I wouldnt' be surprised if it did, is what I mean. I just think it'll be more relevant characters.

I still think it could be 3 nintendo characters and 3 third party characters
Yeah, it is possible. Still, I kinda doubt that they would decide to go with poll characters. Not completely, though, but still. I also said one of the reasons against Geno is that he is an obscure character, more than Banjo-Kazooie, maybe. With that, another reason could be he might not be profitable, especially in NIntendo's eyes, and that he is not as accessible compared to some other characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It's funny, because the Geno fans have already been here before. During Brawl. It's just that now there's a new crop of them.

Though, and maybe this is just my memory failing in its old age, but I don't think things were quite as... intense... during the Brawl days. Mid-00s levels of internet immature, sure, but intense... not so much.

Or maybe if those outside the Geno fanbase said good things about Geno being in the game in general as well. Still, people can still try to help them, but it is true as you said that change ultimately comes from within. Sadly, even if some people do change, others, with the inertia they may have, will not be able to do so, being unable to convince themselves to change.
Maybe I'm overly cynical, but if one "outsider" tries to impart a more measured demeanour on the fanbase, and they do it politely and even ingratiate themselves through flattery of Geno, people might "like" that post, people may even agree with that post, maybe even the following pages try to chill things out a bit. But eventually mob mentality will resume. Because feelings will outweigh reason. And especially because there are individuals in there who purposefully maintain the state of being on tenterhooks.

And if multiple people come to impart a message, I suspect it will be seen as a raid. There's already a lot of friction between that thread and all the others.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, it is possible. Still, I kinda doubt that they would decide to go with poll characters. Not completely, though, but still. I also said one of the reasons against Geno is that he is an obscure character, more than Banjo-Kazooie, maybe. With that, another reason could be he might not be profitable, especially in NIntendo's eyes, and that he is not as accessible compared to some other characters.
Well, if we do look at Banjo. It's not really a relevant character, and was probably in just because of fan demand. Banjo is actually a great entry to say that Geno is still possible. But yes, Geno is definitely more obscure XD Well known in the smash speculation scene tho.

As for worth it or not. It depends on SE. I think they didn't have to go through hoops for Banjo like they did for Cloud.
They managed to get the rights for a costume last time, so it might not be a problem. So I guess it all depends on if they wanna play around or not. I feel like PPlant wasn't wort it for nintendo, but sakurai still made it happen cuz he wanted it. Maybe he still wants geno too, who knows.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's funny, because the Geno fans have already been here before. During Brawl. It's just that now there's a new crop of them.

Though, and maybe this is just my memory failing in its old age, but I don't think things were quite as... intense... during the Brawl days. Mid-00s levels of internet immature, sure, but intense... not so much.

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but if one "outsider" tries to impart a more measured demeanour on the fanbase, and they do it politely and even ingratiate themselves through flattery of Geno, people might "like" that post, people may even agree with that post, maybe even the following pages try to chill things out a bit. But eventually mob mentality will resume. Because feelings will outweigh reason. And especially because there are individuals in there who purposefully maintain the state of being on tenterhooks.

And if multiple people come to impart a message, I suspect it will be seen as a raid. There's already a lot of friction between that thread and all the others.
Don't feelings always outweigh reason, though? Still, if only those Geno fans could see why they are being picked on by others, and not taken seriously. Then again, that can go for any fanbase, specifically the K. Rool and Ridley fanbase.

Well, if we do look at Banjo. It's not really a relevant character, and was probably in just because of fan demand. Banjo is actually a great entry to say that Geno is still possible. But yes, Geno is definitely more obscure XD Well known in the smash speculation scene tho.

As for worth it or not. It depends on SE. I think they didn't have to go through hoops for Banjo like they did for Cloud.
I would say considering they managed to get the rights for a costume last time, it might not be a problem. So I guess it all depends on if they wanna play around or not. I feel like PPlant wasn't wort it for nintendo, but sakurai still made it happen cuz he wanted it. Maybe he still wants geno, who knows.
I understand that. I do. If this does end up true will be another story altogether. Technically, no one knows all the characters that will be in this pass, but while we can still speculate, and that is not a bad thing, there are lines too often crossed and people do go way to far.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Don't feelings always outweigh reason, though? Still, if only those Geno fans could see why they are being picked on by others, and not taken seriously. Then again, that can go for any fanbase, specifically the K. Rool and Ridley fanbase.

I understand that. I do. If this does end up true will be another story altogether. Technically, no one knows all the characters that will be in this pass, but while we can still speculate, and that is not a bad thing, there are lines too often crossed and people do go way to far.
Sure, no one's perfect. I do prefer when people are down to earth and not making too much of things. It's fun to speculate just for fun. Tho i did have fun being invested too, it's just disappointing when you have feelings into something and it doesnt happen.

I don't want to say too much, but some groups are a bit more extreme than others. I've had run ins that weren't very pleasant, and I gave up trying to bring reason, because there was just too much .. certain types of drama.

You gotta know when to hold them and when to fold them XD Better time spent elsewhere than trying to convince people sometimes.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sure, no one's perfect. I do prefer when people are down to earth and not making too much of things. It's fun to speculate just for fun. Tho i did have fun being invested too, it's just disappointing when you have feelings into something.

I don't want to say too much, but some groups are a bit more extreme than others. I've had run ins that weren't very pleasant, and I gave up trying to bring reason, because there was just too much .. certain types of drama.

You gotta know when to hold them and when to fold them XD Better time spend elsewhere than trying to convince people sometimes.
You're probably right. That said, I was talking about trying to convince others as a "could do", rather than a "must do", if you know what I mean.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You're probably right. That said, I was talking about trying to convince others as a "could do", rather than a "must do", if you know what I mean.
Oh yeah if someone is very subtle, it can sometimes work. But that depends how sensitive some people are. sometimes 'could do' triggers as well :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, I think feeling points you in the direction of the character you want, and keeps you supporting them, and reason prevents you from buying into every rumour or theory you hear about them and maintains some degree of perspective. They're both important. But the more people congregate behind a shared passion, the more feeling pushes ahead while reason falters.

And yes, that was also a big point of contention last time with Ridley. Though I don't think it got to the same adversarial fever pitch with K. Rool.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I think feeling points you in the direction of the character you want, and keeps you supporting them, and reason prevents you from buying into every rumour or theory to hear about them and maintains some degree of perspective. They're both important. But the more people congregate behind a shared passion, the more feeling pushes ahead while reason falters.

And yes, that was also a big point of contention last time with Ridley. Though I don't think it got to the same adversarial fever pitch with K. Rool.
I think you are right about K. Rool. I was part of that fanbase during the Smash 4 days.

And yeah, there is a necessary balance between reason and feelings, as you have pointed out. Things would not be fun if one did not exist with the other. Still, it is a shame how feelings tend to be bigger than reason. A group of more people sharing the same passion does not help, too. The fact that feelings overcome reason and leads to one getting disappointed or crushed when they end up wrong, it happens too often.

Oh yeah if someone is very subtle, it can sometimes work. But that depends how sensitive some people are. sometimes 'could do' triggers as well :p
I meant could do as in you don't have to do it, to be clear. Still, it could only work on some people as well, not all of them.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I... really hope we don't get a shadowdrop. It will be hard to not get spoiled if a Smash announcement happened then.

Regarding the Tencent thing: this is definitely not the first time it has crossed over with an SNK IP, but it certainly seems to be the most notable, along with that new Metal Slug mobile game I literally didn't know about until half an hour ago, what the hell.

Plus they seem to have done some really... interesting... crossovers in the past for other games, like with Godzilla, SAO and DC Comics.

So yeah, worth keeping an eye out for more Nintendo collaborations. And I'm not even talking just Smash here.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I... really hope we don't get a shadowdrop. It will be hard to not get spoiled if a Smash announcement happened then.
Shadowdrop or not, you have to be on time or you get ****ed. Can't be 1 minute late to the Direct before those ****ers on YouTube speed upload their "OMG!!!! CHARACTER SMASH REVEAL REACTION!!" like the ad-revenue-spamming ***** they are. :sadsheep: Like damn.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Shadowdrop or not, you have to be on time or you get ****ed. Can't be 1 minute late to the Direct before those ****ers on YouTube speed upload their "OMG!!!! CHARACTER SMASH REVEAL REACTION!!" like the ad-revenue-spamming ***** they are. :sadsheep: Like damn.
Tbh, I can't really blame them. The way Youtube works makes it a lot more difficult to stand out with this type of content if you take too long to post after the event.

I'm more concerned about news sites tbh. For Youtube, all that matters is to keep refreshing the friggin' tab until the video appears. Then, just... not open any new tabs lol.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Since there's nothing going on at the moment, I have a Conspiracy about Dante. And how Ryu and Resident Evil were Sacrifices for Dante to be In

Resident Evil was Rumored to have been negotiated for (Indiegamerchick, along with Papagenos) but stuff fell through. Reasons are unknown. That could explain the Spirits however

Ryu was Heard a whole bunch for around the time of FP4 and FP5. There's guesses that he was Leakbait for Byleth, considering Koei did work on 3 Houses. However I think there could have been a case for Ryu being Planned for FP1

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77374289

This discusses that Ryu had Announcer change (Only character) in German version. considering the Name Similiarity, perhaps this was in prep for Hayubusa for FP1.

Perhaps With DMC5 being Popular, also the hype around Dante, Nintendo chose Dante over Ryu. or Koei ragequitted because they ave bad blood with Capcom and they were salty they chose Dante.

Capcom and Koei have Bad Blood. If Koei Found out Nintendo wanted to put in Dante, I think they might be Livid to be honest. And I Know, Dante and Ryu don't Play Alike, But at the same time there might be similiar appeal with them both being Action Game Stars, using Sword, and stuff. Ryu and Dante could Still hypothetically be in the Same pass, but it's something to think about

Yes

Shroob

Sup?

As someone who was part of the fanbase during that time, but not on this site, I can somewhat confirm this.

A lot, lot, LOT of this all boils down to leak culture. Back during Brawl, no one really cared about leaks, at least, from my memory. But nowadays, people are soo desperate to hear their favorite character is confirmed.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
-Nintendo fandom come Monday if nothing happens:

On the bright side, tried Paper Mario today and it's better than expected. Battles are still pointless from a progression standpoint but at least they're actually fun to do now.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

The fanbase's two options, circa 2020.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, all I'm saying is, if there is a Direct next week, I'm more than prepared

Untitled6.png

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sometimes it feels like we're always on the first one and occasionally someone meekly offers the latter before getting crushed under the 582403th "deserving" argument.
I just like discussing new characters. Without them, we'll just keep going in circles around Geno for the 821368th time, debating random points that are more about being right than about Geno's actual chances. The Atelier discussion was nice because we'd never touched on that before, and I kinda wish it had gone on longer. With that discussion boiling down and the possibility of the direct not coming/being a mini, it feels like the discussion will go back to the well-worn circles again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom