• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
You are placed in charge of choosing the game the next character comes from, but the catch is your least favorite character from that game gets in. What game do you choose?
If I picked Breath of the Wild, I'd probably get someone forgettable like Daruk. But hey, at least it's not another Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf.

D

Deleted member

You are placed in charge of choosing the game the next character comes from, but the catch is your least favorite character from that game gets in. What game do you choose?
Since It's still fresh on my mind from replaying it, Pirate101

I don't necessarily have like 1 most hated character but if I had to choose...
**** Monkey King. Doesn't even get relevant epic talents like Relentless... but that's getting into derailing territory so gonna stop there.
Either that or the Bison tribe companions. They look horrible and don't do anything good in the game. I never found myself using them ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Is my soul... a small fee?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The character will be from Kirby. Since I can't bring myself to hate anyone from Kirby, I'm completely fine. Checkmate, bucko.

Last edited:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
This is what I think the final Ultimate roster could look like. I'm bored so I figured I'd do something to pass the time.
Ultimate Roster.png

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
The character will be from Kirby. Since I can't bring myself to hate anyone from Kirby, I'm completely fine. Checkmate, bucko.
Ooh, that would be a rough choice.

I would be happy for anyone from Kirby, although I would probably have a bitter taste in my mouth if it was Marx. I love Marx himself, but I do feel like Smash has more than enough Super Star.

However, if I were to point to the most foul character in the entirety of the Kirby series... I can only think of one.

1594597675005.png

Screw this guy. Never leaves the background long enough for me to kill him.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ooh, that would be a rough choice.

I would be happy for anyone from Kirby, although I would probably have a bitter taste in my mouth if it was Marx. I love Marx himself, but I do feel like Smash has more than enough Super Star.

However, if I were to point to the most foul character in the entirety of the Kirby series... I can only think of one.

View attachment 278238
Screw this guy. Never leaves the background long enough for me to kill him.
While yes, that's true, Smash could redeem him. By making him playable, you could set the stocks to 99, set his CPU to one, and wail on him 'till the cows come home.
Alternatively, by playing as Pyribbit, you can make everyone else suffer too. Make the world feel the pain you feel when you fought him. Come on, I know you want to.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Its got Crash so I'm good.

Also curious what makes you think Chun-Li?
I think Chun Li has interesting moveset potential, and I think that she is a character that is recognized by most video game fans. Also, she's one of the first female characters to ever be playable in a fighting game(might be the first one not too sure on that). Honestly, I would have preferred her to get in the base roster over Ken, but I understand that echo fighters are a lot easier to make.

It's probably a long shot but I think Chun Li is a character fans would react positively to.

Last edited:

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
While yes, that's true, Smash could redeem him. By making him playable, you could set the stocks to 99, set his CPU to one, and wail on him 'till the cows come home.
Alternatively, by playing as Pyribbit, you can make everyone else suffer too. Make the world feel the pain you feel when you fought him. Come on, I know you want to.
One of my mains is Pac-Man. According to people on the internet, I already do that.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think Chun Li has interesting moveset potential, and I think that she is a character that is recognized by most video game fans. Also, she's one of the first female characters to ever be playable in a fighting game(might be the first one not too sure on that). Honestly, I would have preferred her to get in the base roster over Ken, but I understand that echo fighters are a lot easier to make.

It's probably a long shot but I think Chun Li is a character fans would react positively to.
I think the problem is that unlike, say, Kirby or Xenoblade, there isn't a real section of the franchise that Chun-Li could represent, because Street Fighter is already pretty heavily represented. Chun-Li would be a pretty good addition, but unless we're getting more Piranha Plant-esque bonus characters without anything attached to them, i don't see her really happening.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think the problem is that unlike, say, Kirby or Xenoblade, there isn't a real section of the franchise that Chun-Li could represent, because Street Fighter is already pretty heavily represented. Chun-Li would be a pretty good addition, but unless we're getting more Piranha Plant-esque bonus characters without anything attached to them, i don't see her really happening.
I mean we could use some tracks from more than just Street Fighter II for one

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
there isn't a real section of the franchise that Chun-Li could represent, because Street Fighter is already pretty heavily represented.
The stage and music are both exclusively from SF2, and SF's spirits while having some characters from Alpha/3/4 are still SF2-focused. And yes I am aware of the irony of an SF2 character expanding SF's representation beyond that game.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
God please no anything but that

if it were Ellie from the first TLOU I wouldn’t mind. The original was decent. But God I just want to forget that mess of a “sequel” ever existed
It's not like it's gonna happen or either I want her in Smash, but Ellie's character is a lot more cool and interesting in the sequel if you ask me. Also, TLOU2's Ellie would have a lot more of things to use for a potential moveset. Also, despite all the stupid drama around the game, which btw mostly exists because people loves to make clickbait content and because some people can't handle certain decisions, Part II is essentially better in every regard in comparison to the first game, with the story itself (not confuse this with the actual narrative, which is vastly more ambitious and complex) or the music being more subjective aspects.

This is what I think the final Ultimate roster could look like. I'm bored so I figured I'd do something to pass the time.
View attachment 278237
Would be cool for me. Not really expecting a 3rd SF character in the future, even less for DLC, but Chun-Li would be great.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Based on the 16 character slots datamine from a while ago, do you guys think they will do one more Fighters Pass after the conclusion of FP2?

I think it is a real possibility and would probably just be released in 2022, giving Ultimate 4 full years of support.

4 more characters and 4 more stages would give both the character select screen and stage select screen perfect rectangles (or perfect square in the case of the stage select screen).

As for who I'd want from FP 2 and a possible FP 3, here is who I'd pick with reasons, announcement dates and release dates:

FP 7: Geno (Announce between July 2020 and Sept 2020. Release Oct 2020.)- Geno is probably the most requested character at this point, so I definitely think he should be added. Also, I feel we will get a fighter from Mario this year due to the 35th anniversary. Could also coincide with an announcement of Super Mario RPG either coming to NSO or getting a full remake!

FP 8: Urshifu (Announce Pokemon Day 2021. Release Mar 2021.)- Used solely to promote Sword and Shield, especially the DLC. I feel Urshifu is the most likely, but I really don't care that much who it is as long as SWSH gets a rep. Would prefer Cinderace though.

FP 9: Lloyd Irving (Announce E3 2021. Release after presentation.)- Gives Namco Bandai a new rep.

FP 10: Rayman (Announce E3 2021. Release Sept 2021.)- Gives Ubisoft a rep, and is basically their mascot. Also widely requested (probably third, after Geno & Crash). Could see Rayman and Lloyd reveals mirroring Banjo and Hero, in terms of appealing to fanbases.

FP 11: Crash Bandicoot (Announce Sept 2021. Release Nov 2021.)- One of the most requested third party characters, probably second to Geno at this point. Release would also coincide with a Switch version of Crash 4.

And then that would mean that Smash DLC ends right before the third anniversary of the game. Could see the Nov 2021 presentation giving a run-down at the end of everything added to the game, like the final presentation for 3DS/Wii U....assuming this is the end!

FP 12: Elma (Announce Mar 2022. Release Apr 2022.)- Used to promote a XCX port to Switch. I consider her more likely than Rex because her game was released first and Rex did get a Mii Fighter Costume as DLC. I do think Rex should be on the shortlist for base game newcomers in the next game, but that's a topic for a much later date.

FP 13: Dixie Kong (Announce E3 2022. Release June 2022.)- More of a personal want, though maybe this could coincide with a new DK game announcement.

FP 14: Spyro (Announce E3 2022. Release September 2022.)- Can't have Crash and Rayman without our favorite purple dinosaur! I would consider him on the shortlist if Crash and Rayman get in first. His release would coincide with the announcement of the final Smash Bros. presentation to be held in November.

FP 15: Sora (Announce Nov 2022. Release Nov 2022.)- Another personal want. Release could coincide with all KH games finally coming to Switch, though I would think that 2022 would be pretty late for that.....

And those are all the characters I hope to see (I don't see ATs getting promoted until the next game, unfortunately). Four years would be crazy, though even 3 years has been crazy so far!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The number one issue with Chun-Li is that she'd be the first non-clone second character from a third party IP, and well...Smash just hasn't gotten to that point yet.

Unique secondary characters have been mostly reserved for the first party IPs, like Bowser, K. Rool, Zelda, Peach, Ridley, etc. Like maybe in the future they may start doing it, but I just don't see characters like Chun-Li or Eggman being made playable right now when there's just other all new third party IPs that can be included instead.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Kid Icarus: Uprising

I picked that one because I thought there was no character from it I hated, but then I remembered that extremely slow little girl in The Ring of Chaos that you have to play as at the beginning that as far as I'm concerned, only exists to waste your time on replay.

Her moveset gimmick can be that she's the slowest character in the game, and doesn't even have a run animation. Her only attack is tripping and falling on her face.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Gee... it's almost like people want Sora because they like the character himself
Mah boi

I’m sure there are other Good reasons why the want the keyblade man they strive for

sounded a bit like the king from the Zelda cdi games right there lol

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 278237
If we do get another Pokémon, I do agree that it should be Toxitricity. Won't mind one of the starters though.

Chun-Li is certainly a hot take that works, but I wonder if it's a little too late for her at this point. Street fighter getting a third rep seems rather nuts. I feel like if a currently repped third party is getting another character, it would likely be ones only represented with one character. Sonic in particular feels rather underrepresented considering the massive cast of characters in his series and for how long he's been in Smash at this point, being the only one to be in every game since third parties started being a thing.

The others seem about right. Crash is a pretty popular name going around at the moment, and it would certainly be fun for Mario, Sonic, and Crash to be in the same game. Rex seems like a great pick now that production is no longer a problem (although Xenoblade DE may effect things. Melia anyone?) Not much to say on Hayabusa, but his legacy feels strong enough that his chances seem plenty fair.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
People seriously throwing shade at Chun-Li as if she's not iconic in her own right?

We're talking about the first lady of fighting games here! She's appeared in nearly as many crossovers as Ryu has and is as much of a household name in video games in her own right. I'm pretty sure she has the merits to warrant a placement on Smash's roster. Thing is while I do doubt we're getting another Street Fighter character in general but if we are she's honestly the biggest name besides those who are already in Smash to be the one they'd choose.

Sonic, Street Fighter and Final Fantasy I feel are the most likely to get a second/third character out of all the represented third parties if any IMO.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
View attachment 278237
You inspired me to boot up the Roster Maker and make what rn I would say is my FP2 guess.

ssburoster.png

Yes if I had to bet this is the roster at the end of FP2. Yes I put F Corrin and F Byleth on just because.

Though I personally think a FP3 might happen...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'll be real, I'd love another Street Fighter rep if it means getting content from unrepped games, especially V. Give me M. Bison or Chun-Li that plays like they do in V, or even a cool newcomer like Rashid. I know Capcom has other characters I'd like more, but dammit I just really enjoy Street Fighter and want to see them add stuff from more than just 2!

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The number one issue with Chun-Li is that she'd be the first non-clone second character from a third party IP, and well...Smash just hasn't gotten to that point yet.

Unique secondary characters have been mostly reserved for the first party IPs, like Bowser, K. Rool, Zelda, Peach, Ridley, etc. Like maybe in the future they may start doing it, but I just don't see characters like Chun-Li or Eggman being made playable right now when there's just other all new third party IPs that can be included instead.
And even then when Smash 6 eventually arrives, a lot of the, or even all of the 3rd parties will probably be gone in favor of a few new guest characters from new ips.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nothing against all the other third party series but it'd be very strange for any to have three while Sonic is stuck at one imo.

And I don't even care that much about Sonic's supporting cast. None are going to be on my top ten. I just recognize the size and popularity of the series.

Plus, while not entirely paramount, Sonic is the only series with perfect attendance since third-parties in Smash became a thing.

With all that in mind, a second character at this point seems warranted.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Nothing against all the other third party series but it'd be very strange for any to have three while Sonic is stuck at one imo.

And I don't even care that much about Sonic's supporting cast. None are going to be on my top ten. I just recognize the size and popularity of the series.

Plus, while not entirely paramount, Sonic is the only series with perfect attendance since third-parties in Smash became a thing.

With all that in mind, a second character at this point seems warranted.
I agree that Sonic should receive more playable characters, but it doesn't seem like that will happen with Ultimate. I do think the series should get more playable characters in the next game. Maybe Sonic, Tails (possibly echo) and Eggman, with Shadow and Knuckles reprising their roles as ATs (and then maybe becoming playable in the game after that).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I also notice that Crash is last of the six on a few peoples' rosters. That's not going to happen. I don't know how many times rosters are going to have to not end with a bang before it's realized that the heavy hitters aren't used as a finale. It's not a story, it doesn't end with a climax.

If Crash is one the characters, he'll probably show up soon, or at least in the middle. He's a big name, and those don't stick it out til the end. How many more passes do you think they'd sell if they put Crash up next, for example, than if he were to close things out in a year and a half from now?

I agree that Sonic should receive more playable characters, but it doesn't seem like that will happen with Ultimate. I do think the series should get more playable characters in the next game. Maybe Sonic, Tails (possibly echo) and Eggman, with Shadow and Knuckles reprising their roles as ATs (and then maybe becoming playable in the game after that).
Yeah, I would be surprised if we got another Sonic character in this game. But frankly, I'd be surprised if any of the third-party series got another character within this game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
you know what i almost never see ppl discuss here

a second mega man character

i even see ppl discuss a second metal gear character before that

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Did anyone post this yet?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If anyone wants a refresher on who could be plausible candidates for Fighters Pass 2, here you go. There are some questionable picks but regardless it's got pretty much every relevant to discussion character.
I feel like the actual next fighter isn't on this picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom