• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Just saying guys....

Black Knight being an echo of Ike is a laughable idea. Black Knight's movement is consistently slow, deliberate and bulky. Just look at how he moves as an AT. Can you imagine him doing the flips for Aether or zooming around with Quick Draw?

He wouldn't even be a semiclone unless you REALLY stretch interpretation.
I mean you can ssy the same with other clones and semi-clones already in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just saying guys....

Black Knight being an echo of Ike is a laughable idea. Black Knight's movement is consistently slow, deliberate and bulky. Just look at how he moves as an AT. Can you imagine him doing the flips for Aether or zooming around with Quick Draw?

Honestly, the couple moves his AT has are actually distinct from Ike. Personally, I'd swap out Corrin, Chrom, and Lucina (And maybe Roy) for the three Assist Trophies. They'd represent the game better and they'd play better, too.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Just saying guys....

I could maybe see a Wolf-style clone since using Ike as a base is workable if you changed his moves similarly. I do agree that him being an Echo wouldn't work well though since his body type and armor wouldn't be as easy to map to Ike as well as Daisy to Peach.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Aight here's my crackpot theory that I want to believe is true but probably isn't.

There are 6 fighters in fighter pass v2 because two of the fighters are a pair -- where you really can't have one without the other, and would be released at the same time but be separately purchasable so someone who wants to buy one isn't roped into the other.

idk which pair it would be (if Snake wasn't already in the game I'd say Solid and Liquid), but my bet would be on Dante and Vergil.
My personal crackpot "why is there an extra fp vol.2 character" theory is that they hastily added another character to the project plan after they had initially completed it. If this theory is true, I assume it's an Undertale rep, after the incredibly positive response to the Sans costume (and that's why there's no spirit event).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean you can ssy the same with other clones and semi-clones already in Smash.
The other clones and semi clones can at least make the same physical movements.

I could maybe see a Wolf-style clone since using Ike as a base is workable if you changed his moves similarly. I do agree that him being an Echo wouldn't work well though since his body type and armor wouldn't be as easy to map to Ike as well as Daisy to Peach.
I guess Wolf style could work, but yeah, he definitely can't be an echo fighter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just saying guys....

He could only really be an echo if Ike was still the mighty glacier he was in Brawl. And even then he'd still need to be Chrom-like.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Let’s hope some of this is right regarding who is who for the spirit battle

It seems to be, at least partially. He got Ophilia, Therion, Primrose, and Cyrus right, and Olberic likely would have been right if they had went for a playable character instead of the Black Knight. Tressa was from the right series, at least, so the only ones that were completely different were Alfyn and H'aanit.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, I would have really liked for the Black Knight to be playable. I've always liked swords and knights since I was young, and there's never really been a character in Smash that has that "heavily armored knight" appearance. I feel like he would have been one of my favorite characters to play as based solely on design alone.

I think he would have been a great Echo Fighter for Ike, honestly. Thinking about it now, it's sort of a missed opportunity. Oh well. Maybe another character will bring that armored knight look to the roster someday.
Black Knight Ike Echo is pretty much the only new FE character I wouldn't be furious about at this point, as I feel, for all of FE's ridiculous overrepresentation, it still doesn't have any villains, and I'm willing to accept another Echo in order to fulfill that role.

Just saying guys....

Cool. I guess he doesn't get to be in at all then.

I think the Geno costume will return and it’ll get the Cuphead/Sans treatment with Beware The Forest’s Mushrooms and a full mask
That's not the best Super Mario RPG song! Hell, that's not even the best GENO song!

Who should be the fighter to represent the bravely default series?
Well, Tiz and Edea are the only ones that are party members in both BD games. And Tiz is the main character of the first game. So I'd say he has the lead.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Black Knight Ike Echo is pretty much the only new FE character I wouldn't be furious about at this point, as I feel, for all of FE's ridiculous overrepresentation, it still doesn't have any villains, and I'm willing to accept another Echo in order to fulfill that role.
I wouldn't mind Lyn and/or Anna because despite all the FE characters we have, we still don't have a single female that isn't either an echo or an alternate costume. Even with 8 characters on the roster, it's still possible not to see a single female FE character on the menu CSS (after unlocking and buying everyone) if you stack echos.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
not sure why everyone is focusing on Black Knight being used to represent Olbric in thr picture, its its not that deep, he was matching sizes of the characters and stuff
It ain't that deep but if the size thing were the case, Dr Mario would be bigger than Palutena
They just chose who's a decent enough fit for each character.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Wow, I can't believe that this Spirit event confirmed that canonically, Olberix adopts Primrose, Cyrus adopts Tressa, H'aanit and Ophelia are a couple, as are Therion and Alfyn.

Anyway, kinda curious how exactly the Spirits are assigned to the characters. Black Knight as Olberic, Palutena as Ophelia, Robin as Cyrus, and Therion as Sheik are kinda obvious, but the other four are a bit uncertain to me. Who's H'aanit supposed to be, for example? Villager?

That's historically been a thing for the series, though. The original BD was also heavily advertized by Nintendo, and I think that was also the case for Second. Though a BD character would be fine by me, especially if they go the Hero route with them.
pretty sure Pit is Haanit, Bayo is Primrose, Villager is Tressa and Dr. Mario is Alfyn

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Aight here's my crackpot theory that I want to believe is true but probably isn't.

There are 6 fighters in fighter pass v2 because two of the fighters are a pair -- where you really can't have one without the other, and would be released at the same time but be separately purchasable so someone who wants to buy one isn't roped into the other.

idk which pair it would be (if Snake wasn't already in the game I'd say Solid and Liquid), but my bet would be on Dante and Vergil.
I’m not sure it’s a case of fighters being a pair, I think either a) they were given a bigger budget and could do one more character or b) the mostly first party speculation is true and they can have more characters with the same budget.

But if DLC characters came in a pair it would have to be Crash/Spyro to me. They go together and while you can have one without the other, they feel like dual mascots of the 90s PS era. Plus if I had to pick one I’d pick Crash, but Spyro would still be there as a missed opportunity. Having both at once would be amazing.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Just saying guys....

That’s what I’ve been saying, it’s like people don’t realize the design of the character tends to influence their playstyle.

Honestly, Black Knight would work best as a tanky super-armor character. Something that screams "get near me, I dare you." Basically a slow, heavy Little Mac.

Everyone would hate him.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And what more reasonable people have been saying is, the only way you're going to get that character is as an echo. And it's better to get a character in some form, than not at all.

Basically a slow, heavy Little Mac.
So...a 0/10 matchup against any zoner.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If he were a playable character what weight would Black Knight also be?

Somewhere above Ganondorf I assume so a Super Heavy?

SKX31

Smash Master
That’s what I’ve been saying, it’s like people don’t realize the design of the character tends to influence their playstyle.
*Insert grumbling about why :ultlittlemac: and :ultsonic: need a do-over.*

Likely close to Bowser (who IIRC is the heaviest character on the roster).

Honestly, Black Knight would work best as a tanky super-armor character. Something that screams "get near me, I dare you." Basically a slow, heavy Little Mac.

Everyone would hate him.
Not entirely sure on super armor, but something like Bowser's Tough Guy (Bowser doesn't flinch from attacks with low knockback) could work very well on him. I'm not sure on super armor since Little Mac's super armor on his Smashes doesn't exactly compensate for the lack of reach, while in Black Knight's case he'd have super armor and range.

Last edited:

I'd put him around 122-123. Halfway between Ganon and DK. My thought is that his running speed would be the slowest in the game (the man doesn't run ever), but his other stats and attributes would be solid to compensate.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
By the way, though I don't think Black Knight being shown means any sign of being promoted as a playable character because let's be honest if anyone is gonna be its gonna be Waluigi no argument.

More likely then not the Black Knight assist trophy is gonna be involved with the Spirit character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So

Any interesting rumors at all? I’m so boredddddd

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Is it weird that I want Samus to take slightly less damage than the rest of the roster (like Bowser Jr.’s Jr Clown Car)? She wears a bulky metal suit, and she can really use more buffs, so why not?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Last edited:

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
if they went with a BD character, I'd put money on Seth because he's the main hero for BD2. So the same situation for why they went with Luminary as the default Hero.

But I think the question for me is would the character model be based off their artwork or their chibi design ?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Pony plz, the Geno thread will think we're bullying them again.

....is what I'd say, but reading the Geno thread after going in with an open mind.... it's like walking into a flat-Earth truther hub. :dr^_^:
Chill dude I'm boutta drop a hot speculation essay on Geno.

I won't say that I feel more favorably about his chances, but I do think there's a valid case to be made for him that's been lost under the "flat-Earth truther hub" as you call it, which is truly unfortunate.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd think someone who'd want FE to be represented better would be more willing to get rid of Roy since he's divisive among FE fans.
Roy is one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters in general.

He isn't divisive.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
if they went with a BD character, I'd put money on Seth because he's the main hero for BD2. So the same situation for why they went with Luminary as the default Hero.

But I think the question for me is would the character model be based off their artwork or their chibi design ?
Perfect! Seth from Sacred Stones! Best Character to add in! He even has a mount!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom