• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Roy is one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters in general.

He isn't divisive.
Thing is, that popularity only comes from Smash. People who played FE6 see something less cool than "woah he has t3h ph1r3!"

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Thing is, that popularity only comes from Smash. People who played FE6 see something less cool than "woah he has t3h ph1r3!"
Pretty much. In the context of his own game Roy is nothing to write home about and not exactly that popular. Dude's useless for roughly 90% of the game because of his forced super late promotion, and his personality or character arc is not really too interesting either.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For real though.

Roy being divisive among Fire Emblem fans is one of those half truths like ARMS fans not liking Spring Man.

All characters have their detractors, but those two are near universally loved by the majority.

His characterization is different than Smash Roy for sure, but he's not disliked writing wise.

Yeah, Roy is the worst lord statwise. Literally unusable.
Now this is true. Stat wise, he's bad, but Fire Emblem fans still love bad units.

I mean Lyn is the most popular female character and she isn't great either.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
For real though.

Roy being divisive among Fire Emblem fans is one of those half truths like ARMS fans not liking Spring Man.

All characters have their detractors, but those two are near universally loved by the majority.

His characterization is different than Smash Roy for sure, but he's not disliked writing wise.

Now this is true. Stat wise, he's bad, but Fire Emblem fans still love bad units.

I mean Lyn is the most popular female character and she isn't great either.
True true. But still, I'd rather have Hector if we could get a Blazing Blade rep. Axe/Lance wielder, and armored. On top of that, Eliwood would be nice if he was mounted (I just want a mounted Smash unit)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
if they went with a BD character, I'd put money on Seth because he's the main hero for BD2. So the same situation for why they went with Luminary as the default Hero.

But I think the question for me is would the character model be based off their artwork or their chibi design ?
Probably the artwork, though that might be slightly cursed.
Seriously what are her FE Awakening-level feet.
1594238673800.png

if they went with a BD character, I'd put money on Seth because he's the main hero for BD2. So the same situation for why they went with Luminary as the default Hero.

But I think the question for me is would the character model be based off their artwork or their chibi design ?
I'd guess chibi, but only because the artwork/cg cutscenes and the in-game character use is so separated. Once you get past the title cutscene in BD, the more realistic proportions aren't used for anything until the end credits. Also when the devs make extra art for anniversaries and such, it's almost always their chibi designs.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't know about Roy being "divisive", but he doesn't exactly seem "popular" amongst FE fans either. Him and his game just sorta exist.

Roy seemingly gets most of his recognition from Smash.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Eh...Idk man, The Duck Hunt fans and players hate the dog and curse him every time they see him laugh in their CRT screen when they miss a duck, he's definitely not popular and will never be playable.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I don't know about Roy being "divisive", but he doesn't exactly seem "popular" amongst FE fans either. Him and his game just sorta exist.

Roy seemingly gets most of his recognition from Smash.
It'd be nice if they could actually release his original game outside of Japan though. I mean his biggest international appearance outside of Smash is a mobile game.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Man, once more modding tools for Ultimate exist, a PM/P+ equivalent on switch would be nuts. Imagine the 'fighter-like' AT's getting modded into fully fledged fighters. Hell, you wouldn't even need to do that much custom animation work. Black Knight could probably be done almost entirely with Ike, Ganon, and his own AT's animation.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ike, Ganon,
This is actually redundant since two of Ganon's sword Smashes come from Ike

But yes, in a mod I can see Zero using animations from Cloud and Roy, and Spring Man using Min Min as a base with kicks replaced with Little Mac punches, but I'd see a professional company doing more than that. Or I would, had Min Min's dash attack not been copied from the Falcon Kick and the aforementioned recycled Ike Smash attacks. And Chrom reusing his FS model while Robin's FS is left alone is very mod-like as well.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
In his game, isn't Black Knight said to be surprisingly fast, considering his armor? In fact, isn't it enchanted so as to not encumber him? There was an entire thread about this, but all it takes is one comment here, and almost all the responses are now saying he can't be an echo of Ike because of his speed.

As for Roy, I've never seen any large support for him in Fire Emblem circles when I've researched him. Lyn is more divisive than him.

In his game, isn't Black Knight said to be surprisingly fast, considering his armor? In fact, isn't it enchanted so as to not encumber him? There was an entire thread about this, but all it takes is one comment here, and almost all the responses are now saying he can't be an echo of Ike because of his speed.

As for Roy, I've never seen any large support for him in Fire Emblem circles when I've researched him. Lyn is more divisive than him.
The Black Knight thing sounds right (it's been a while for me), but he tends to do this thing where he just walks forward menacingly so it's more in spirit for him to have a slow playstyle even if he's not actually slow.

The bigger echo issue is probably his huge shield that he always carries around. It would be weird to just ignore it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, Black Knight being an AT is better than being playable, cause then he wouldn't have armour on everything, he'd be a slow as **** character without the armour to back up the slow strikes, which in Smash, is a death sentence unless you're fighting low level players. Him even randomly popping out of a capsule gives the same 'oh god oh ****' feeling PoR players got when he stepped out of that house funny enough

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd think someone who'd want FE to be represented better would be more willing to get rid of Roy since he's divisive among FE fans.

Not that you could replace clones with unique fighters anyway.

[suspicious G&W noises]
Roy's popular because Smash gave him that boost, and FE6 is fairly popular in Japan. The thing is, I'd prefer a dedicated axe or lance user, or at the very least declone the guy.
It should also be noted that he's got some fans for his supports, where he's surprisingly mature and down-to-earth for someone in his mid teens. He's not unpopular in the fandom, that's for sure.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Probably the artwork, though that might be slightly cursed.
Seriously what are her FE Awakening-level feet.
I straight up do NOT like that guy's art style, chibi or otherwise. And it's one of my few gripes with the BD series.

And Square uses that guy ALOT. FFT, the FF3-4 3d remakes, BD, OT...it looks like ass but somehow the guy keeps getting work...

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Happy National Videogame Day from Capcom.

Yeah, I only posted this because of the super cool art. It would be nice to have some of these characters in Smash...

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice

Yeah, I only posted this because of the super cool art. It would be nice to have some of these characters in Smash...
To be fair, some of them are. 3 of them are playable, 3 are sprits, and Rathalos is a boss. That said I'd be down for any of them as playable characters. Besides maybe generic zombie.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Yo is that the Arisen to the far left?

Dragon's Dogma representation in Smash would be amazing.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
To be fair, some of them are. 3 of them are playable, 3 are sprits, and Rathalos is a boss. That said I'd be down for any of them as playable characters. Besides maybe generic zombie.
I know. My comment was mostly a joke. But yeah, Capcom has good representation so far. I think it would be cooler for Resident Evil to have an assist trophy or something, maybe Mr. X or some of the protagonists.
But at the same time I think that Phoenix, Dante, a Resident Evil rep and the Hunter from MH would be amazing additions to Smash. The same goes for Chun-Li, even if that would mean having 3 Street Fighter characters lol

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All this BD talk reminds me of that Anges leak in the lead-up. Kinda dropped off the face of the earth that one.

kuribo4

Smash Rookie
If I had to guess, I'd say its due to Visual Novels not being the most popular genre in the West, outside of those two series, its popularity is almost exclusively in Japan.

Oh yeah, and considering Fate is only massively popular in Japan, I could see him giving just such a history lesson for the series lol
"Good boys and girls don't play the original PC release."
For real though, Sakurai would probably not even mention the original VN having ero elements and focus entirely on the PS2 version that has been the only version they've re-released (even on PC, replacing the original essentially).
Actually, there was a Reprint version of OG 18+ Fate as recently as last year. They definitely still consider it the original version of the game and still sell it.
I still think Saber could work though.

Last edited:

venomthebest

Smash Apprentice
The more I think about it, the more confused I am about it. Why is there no mii fighter classic route?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The more I think about it, the more confused I am about it. Why is there no mii fighter classic route?
I'm guessing it's because classic modes are based around the character that you're playing is, and the Mii is whoever you want it to be. (a general Mii classic mode wouldn't work for, say, Sans or Cuphead or Abraham Lincoln)

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Not gonna lie, but I feel like Deadly Premonition 2 is gonna get a spirit event in Smash later this year. While it isn't published by Nintendo, they've been pushing it for a while, albeit low-key. I think it's in a similar boat to Daemon X Machina, in my opinion.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'm guessing it's because classic modes are based around the character that you're playing is, and the Mii is whoever you want it to be. (a general Mii classic mode wouldn't work for, say, Sans or Cuphead or Abraham Lincoln)
They still could’ve gotten away with that without a care in the world. Here’s one from a while back:
It bothers me that Miis don't have a classic mode.

So this is what a classic Mii mode could look like.

"Brawler, Swordfighter, Gunner"

Stage 1: :ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner:
Stage 2: :ultfalcon::ultshulk::ultfox:
Stage 3: :ultincineroar::ultchrom::ultinkling:
Stage 4: :ultbowser::ultmetaknight::ultdarksamus:
Stage 5 : :ultryu: :ultcloud::ultmegaman:
Stage 6: :ultmario: :ultlink::ultsamus:
Boss: Master Hand and Crazy hand
Pretty basic, but it still works for the Miis.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Meanwhile I'm just here loving the Miis movesets.

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, but I feel like Deadly Premonition 2 is gonna get a spirit event in Smash later this year. While it isn't published by Nintendo, they've been pushing it for a while, albeit low-key. I think it's in a similar boat to Daemon X Machina, in my opinion.
As a big supporter of York in Smash, a Deadly Premonition 2 Spirit Event makes a lot of sense to happen sometime down the road, but at the same time, York is so oddly charming he'd fit right at home as a fighter. He's so out of place he somehow fits within the Smash universe just because of how bizarre it'd be.

Either way, any sort of Smash recognition for Deadly Premonition is a win for me. I'll take pretty much anything from it, even a stage that runs under 15fps.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

While this is nice, I have to wonder... where's the Capcom that went out of it's way to depict this?
1594267803164.png

Heck, I'd pay good money to see Nintendo do something like this. I mean, Smash Ultimate's 'Everyone Is Here!' mural comes pretty darn close, but still.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Man Who Thought He'd Lost All Hope Loses Last Additional Bit Of Hope He Didn't Even Know He Still Had
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm buying Bug Fables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom