• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Collect-a-thons were influenced by Super Mario 64's impact first and foremost. Yooka-Laylee is no different.
Yes, but what game inspired the very creation of Yooka-Laylee? :dr^_^: I'm hardly being dedicated to the argument here, it's like bringing Mighty No. 9 into a platformer debate.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I too wish we had more bosses, and I wish they were more evenly-distributed among Classic Mode routes. The other bosses have such cool designs in terms of fighting, but if you try to clear Classic with every character, have fun fighting the hands like, 80% of the time. Oh, what's that? Ike's Classic route is called "Black-Clad Warriors"? So he fights Dracula who wears black, right? Nope. Hands.
THANK YOU.

If we can't get more bosses besides what we have, at least make the final rounds more diverse with the bosses we do have. I even did a whole thread about it a while back, so here are my choices from it:

Master Hand/Crazy Hand
:ultdarksamus: (CH; team battle w/Meta :ultridley:; Crazy Hand is the dark, corrupt counterpart to Master Hand)
:ultjigglypuff: after Giant :ultdk: (MH; Final Destination (64); I know Giant :ultdk: existed in 64, but so did Master Hand. We've seen certain routes precede Master Hand with a fighter in the Final Round, so this is clearly doable.)
:ultvillager: (CH; The Valedictory Elegy; Killager joke please laugh)
:ult_terry: (MH; Soy Sauce for Geese - FATAL FURY SPECIAL; you can keep the :ultryu::ultken::ult_terry: before. Just change KOF Stadium to Ω.)

Giga Bowser
:ultganondorf:
(Fated Battle; Imagine a world where all the heroes have lost, and all that remains is the climactic showdown between two Miyamoto villains)
:ultzss: (Giant claws)
:ultwiifittrainer: (Technically big-boned, but it still applies)
:ultlittlemac: ("Friendly" sparring)
:ultincineroar: (not preceded by :ultbowser:; team battle w/:ultgreninja:; Giant wrestling monster)

Galleom
:ultsheik: (Galleom CLEARLY has a giant mask on)
:ultsonic: (Could be a Death Egg Robot stand-in)
:ultshulk: (Round 6, while :ultmegaman: gets moved to the Final Round; could be a stand-in for the Mechon)
:ultcloud: (Steampunk robot that transforms into a vehicle)

Rathalos
:ultsamus:
(BOUNTY hunter in the world of MONSTER Hunter)
:ultpeach: (Fortress Boss - Super Mario Bros. 3; dragons are known for keeping princesses in castles in fairy tales. I did consider Giga Bowser, but I went with Rathy for the reason I stated last sentence)
:ultbayonetta: (Round 6; Time for the Climax!; the :ultpit:'s would be moved to the Final Round with :ultpalutena:)

Ganon
:ultroy: (
Are we going to ignore the TWO giant SWORDS in Ganon's hands?)
:ultkingdedede: (The World to Win; Ganon is literally the Demon King)
:ultpalutena: (preceded by :ultganondorf:; Hades' Infernal Theme; evil being granted divine power)
:ultbanjokazooie: (team battle w/:ultdiddy:; reference to Wizpig from Diddy Kong Racing, :ultbanjokazooie:'s first appearance in general)

Marx
:ultfox: (Bit further off from Andross, but still there)
:ultdoc: (Colors out the wazoo)
:ultlucas: (Magical being)
:ultolimar: (Marx is a space traveler)
:ultridley: ("> 3, 2, 1, BLAST OFF!" remember that quote from Milky Way Wishes?)

Dracula
:ultgnw: (Battle Map 5 - Fire Emblem Gaiden; boss from a classic 8-bit game)
:ultpit: (team battle w/:ultdarkpit:; both Kid Icarus and Castlevania came out in 1986, plus Dracula is a dark being rivaling the forces of heaven)
:ultwario: (Vampires-of which Wario was one on occassion, believe it or not-hate the smell of garlic)
:ultike: (Against the Dark Knight; black-clad, blatantly)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
B&K was an improvement on DK64 first. The only reason we had B&K was because Rareware made a game with similar mechanics to get the formula down pretty well and then majorly improved it. That's a huge deal in why it worked. B&K also isn't really a series that spawned more than one major series either, so, it's just an N64 impact alone. A notable impact, but it's not something that spanned multiple generations.
A quick Google fact check could've prevented this entire erroneous paragraph. Banjo-Kazooie came out almost an entire year and a half BEFORE DK64. Not after. And it had been in the works since the SNES era.

SMRPG's impact created two major sub-series(Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi), who did their own thing while clearly using the formula, and heavily improving on it. And only one of them recently died due to AlphaDream dying, not because of some popularity issues. Paper Mario is still going super strong to this day because of SMRPG's major impact. Not being in Europe has zero effect on the fact that it still made a massive impact in creating new games. That spanned multiple generations. This matters too.
Its existence showed that there was still a market for Mario RPGs but the success of those two subseries is entirely their own, not because of Mario RPG. And even then, Mario & Luigi is dead and Paper Mario is nigh unrecognizable from whatever SMRPG roots it sprang from. The lack of a European release is absolutely something worth mentioning, despite you glossing over it.

SMRPG's impact to gaming overall is simply bigger than B&K's. It'd help if the games after the 64 ones were actually worth noting on their own. One racing game spin-off, if I remember right another simple platformer on the Gameboy Advance or DS or something, and then Nuts & Boltz. The last one did pretty badly impact-wise, way worse than the Paper Mario series still does(as much hate as Sticker Star gets, it's still an extremely popular and well-selling game overall).
Calling Sticker Star popular is pretty absurd considering its sales numbers can be pretty easily attributed to name recognition and its infamy is well known. But regardless, look at how many games specifically use Banjo-Kazooie as an inspiration. Look at A Hat in Time. Look at Yooka-Laylee. Look at the litany of 3D collectathons from the late nineties and early 2000s. Then try to find how many RPGs used SMRPG specifically as a base. THAT is impact.

Chrono Trigger had barely much of an impact, enough to get 3 games and didn't do much. I wouldn't even put it in the ballpark of Final Fantasy, Mana, or Dragon Quest, which are severely more influential series. What things did Chrono Trigger spawn? Any actual games it helped create? Maybe? Some Action RPG's, possibly? If I'm remembering it wrong, then it'd be around SMRPG's impact level, cause the series was pretty quickly forgotten about for a long time. People asked for a remake and release, but not exactly a continuation of the series. The reason SMRPG isn't garnered for a continuation, is because it already continued with Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, so there was no need. People wanted a remake at most, and rarely did some ask for a sequel. It's actually not a common request.
Chrono Trigger is widely regarded as one of the greatest JRPGs of all time so this comes off as incredibly ignorant.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
B&K was an improvement on DK64 first. The only reason we had B&K was because Rareware made a game with similar mechanics to get the formula down pretty well and then majorly improved it. That's a huge deal in why it worked. B&K also isn't really a series that spawned more than one major series either, so, it's just an N64 impact alone. A notable impact, but it's not something that spanned multiple generations.

SMRPG's impact created two major sub-series(Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi), who did their own thing while clearly using the formula, and heavily improving on it. And only one of them recently died due to AlphaDream dying, not because of some popularity issues. Paper Mario is still going super strong to this day because of SMRPG's major impact. Not being in Europe has zero effect on the fact that it still made a massive impact in creating new games. That spanned multiple generations. This matters too.

SMRPG's impact to gaming overall is simply bigger than B&K's. It'd help if the games after the 64 ones were actually worth noting on their own. One racing game spin-off, if I remember right another simple platformer on the Gameboy Advance or DS or something, and then Nuts & Boltz. The last one did pretty badly impact-wise, way worse than the Paper Mario series still does(as much hate as Sticker Star gets, it's still an extremely popular and well-selling game overall).

So yes, I'd say that's the world we live in. SMRPG had a bigger impact overall than B&K, who had a one-generation impact and that was it. It'd be awesome if it had more of an impact, but it simply didn't.

Chrono Trigger had barely much of an impact, enough to get 3 games and didn't do much. I wouldn't even put it in the ballpark of Final Fantasy, Mana, or Dragon Quest, which are severely more influential series. What things did Chrono Trigger spawn? Any actual games it helped create? Maybe? Some Action RPG's, possibly? If I'm remembering it wrong, then it'd be around SMRPG's impact level, cause the series was pretty quickly forgotten about for a long time. People asked for a remake and release, but not exactly a continuation of the series. The reason SMRPG isn't garnered for a continuation, is because it already continued with Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, so there was no need. People wanted a remake at most, and rarely did some ask for a sequel. It's actually not a common request.
dekuwut.jpg

You are aware that a significant part of impact is legacy, right? As in, how they're remembered going forward.

Banjo & Kazooie and Chrono Trigger both have significant impact on gaming via the legacy they've left behind in the decades since their initial release. It is a fact that people still talk about and revere these games, which in turn has led to remakes and re-releases among other means of keeping these series in people's hearts. SMRPG is...talked about by a very dedicated group of fans, and occasionally gets a re-release via one mean or another. Don't act like it headlined the SNES Mini either, because that honor went to Star Fox 2. Every other game was just as important as the last. Comparatively, Banjo-Kazooie and Chrono Trigger are both revered by new and old gamers alike, and receive enough attention from their developers throughout the years to keep them in the cultural zeitgeist of gaming.

Furthermore, your argument on how SMRPG influenced the next two Mario RPG series is dubious at best. Are you saying that Dragon Quest has no impact on gaming because Final Fantasy did turn based RPG combat first? In that case, couldn't you draw SMRPG back to Final Fantasy and say that Final Fantasy is the only RPG with a significant impact because it was the first? In this case, almost no game has any impact solely because they weren't the first, and all further games just built on those that came before them. It's absurd.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright, which boss do you want to include in the Classic Mode route of your most wanted?
Gonna go with no Master/Crazy Hand bosses for this 1.

Hayabusa vs Ganon

Billy/Jimmy vs Dracula

Ryza vs Rathalos

Geralt vs Dracula (idk if this would make sense but it sounds cool in my head so)

York vs Giga Bowser or Marx (trust me on this 1 these 2 would make a lot of sense)

Lu Bu vs All the Bosses (including Galeem and Dharkon)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
View attachment 276887

You are aware that a significant part of impact is legacy, right? As in, how they're remembered going forward.

Banjo & Kazooie and Chrono Trigger both have significant impact on gaming via the legacy they've left behind in the decades since their initial release. It is a fact that people still talk about and revere these games, which in turn has led to remakes and re-releases among other means of keeping these series in people's hearts. SMRPG is...talked about by a very dedicated group of fans, and occasionally gets a re-release via one mean or another. Don't act like it headlined the SNES Mini either, because that honor went to Star Fox 2. Every other game was just as important as the last. Comparatively, Banjo-Kazooie and Chrono Trigger are both revered by new and old gamers alike, and receive enough attention from their developers throughout the years to keep them in the cultural zeitgeist of gaming.

Furthermore, your argument on how SMRPG influenced the next two Mario RPG series is dubious at best. Are you saying that Dragon Quest has no impact on gaming because Final Fantasy did turn based RPG combat first? In that case, couldn't you draw SMRPG back to Final Fantasy and say that Final Fantasy is the only RPG with a significant impact because it was the first? In this case, almost no game has any impact solely because they weren't the first, and all further games just built on those that came before them. It's absurd.
I think you're underestimating (or outright ignoring) the impact that Super Mario RPG had on the other Mario RPGs that came after it. If not for that, we likely, if not almost certainly, wouldn't have had the attack inputs that we got in Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi (holding back to charge the hammer, hitting the jump button with the right timing as Mario lands, pressing A, B, X, or Y to have certain characters act in the Mario and Luigi games, etc.) - all of that was clearly inspired by what Super Mario RPG did with timed hits and various special moves, rather than Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

Plus, you're taking the conversation about impact in a completely different direction from what Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth was referring to.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Who's gonna be the next illustrious character to join the Fighter's Pass DLC?

rost.png

EDIT: Just to clarify this isn't my own creation, it's been floating around on Twitter with no watermark and I couldn't find the OP

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think you're underestimating (or outright ignoring) the impact that Super Mario RPG had on the other Mario RPGs that came after it. If not for that, we likely, if not almost certainly, wouldn't have had the attack inputs that we got in Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi (holding back to charge the hammer, hitting the jump button with the right timing as Mario lands, pressing A, B, X, or Y to have certain characters act in the Mario and Luigi games, etc.) - all of that was clearly inspired by what Super Mario RPG did with timed hits and various special moves, rather than Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.
At the same time, I believe it could be said that the original poster was over-exaggerating the impact of SMRPG on later Mario RPGs, as if their success was only derived from SMRPG before it. My argument was also moreso meant to take the original point about impact made to a logical extreme, thus showing its inherent absurdity.

For what it's worth, I believe there's clear influence from SMRPG in later Mario RPGs. However, to act like they were only successful because they built off the former is disingenuous, and ignores the success they achieved based on their own merits and the sheer strength of the Mario brand.

And to say that because SMRPG loosely inspired later Mario RPGs means that it has more impact than both Banjo-Kazooie and Chrono Trigger is plainly ridiculous. That's the point I find the most fault with.

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
For those who are still wondering what Nintendo IPs are still not represented in Smash yet, SourceGaming compiled a list for such a thing a while back. Quick disclaimer that this list was compiled BEFORE Ultimate's release, so some series listed here may already be in Smash in some way by now.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/03/15/nintendo-ip-not-in-ssb/
Uhh, my reply was to a question asking which Nintendo franchise spirit(s) that aren't in Smash currently, whether the franchises already have contents or no contents at all in Smash. The keyword is "spirit(s)", not "ip representment" if anyone is confused.

For example, I listed the franchise Soccer, there is already Soccer contents in Smash in the form of music being used in Famicom Medley, and the Soccer Ball item's trophy in Brawl and Smash Wii U. Currently, there is no spirit(s) from that franchise at all, and would a Soccer spirit(s) still happen, who knows.

Another franchise I could have listed are franchise with just music, but no spirit like AR Games, Freakyforms, Nes Remix, and Tank Troopers.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Geralt vs Dracula (idk if this would make sense but it sounds cool in my head so)
I think there was a vampire in Witcher 3, right? Either way, it's still dark fantasy magic users with roots in Eastern European culture, so it would make sense to me.
The other logical choice would be... Rathalos, I guess? I know there was the MH:W crossover, but was there any dragons in The Witcher? It sounds like a series that would get some dragons involved.
Uhh, my reply was to a question asking which Nintendo franchise spirit(s) that aren't in Smash currently, whether the franchises already have contents or no contents at all in Smash. The keyword is "spirit(s)", not "ip representment" if anyone is confused.

For example, I listed the franchise Soccer, there is already Soccer contents in Smash in the form of music being used in Famicom Medley, and the Soccer Ball item's trophy in Brawl and Smash Wii U. Currently, there is no spirit(s) from that franchise at all, and would a Soccer spirit(s) still happen, who knows.

Another franchise I could have listed are franchise with just music, but no spirit like AR Games, Freakyforms, Nes Remix, and Tank Troopers.
I know there's nary a mention of StarTropics, which is like reverse Murasame Castle due to the lack of Japanese release. There's also Famicom Detective Club, which I believe was considered for Melee but was dropped due to lack of international knowledge.

Last edited:

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
I have to ask: Why are Geno fans so ****ing obnoxious? Do I hate the character? No. Would I be upset if he got into Smash as a fighter? Also no. But his fans...**** me running, they're so annoying and seem to only care about having a meme come true rather than the character himself. It's like Ridley all over again.
(For clarification: no, I don't hate Ridley either. I just hate his fans from back before he was confirmed.)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I have to ask: Why are Geno fans so ****ing obnoxious? Do I hate the character? No. Would I be upset if he got into Smash as a fighter? Also no. But his fans...**** me running, they're so annoying and seem to only care about having a meme come true rather than the character himself. It's like Ridley all over again.
(For clarification: no, I don't hate Ridley either. I just hate his fans from back before he was confirmed.)
Don’t generalize. I am sure not all Geno fans are like that. I mean, I like Geno, but I am nothing like that. I do think some Geno fans are exaggerating Geno’s chances, but any fan base has fans that do that with their character. Not all Geno fans are so bad.

Maybe we should find something else to talk about.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
While you really went to put it, in a very blunt way...
It's not that they're obnoxious.
They're just passionate about a 20+ years old character in a side Mario Game, and said character missed 3 games. And I guess they try to find signs and way to keep this character "relevant" through fake leaks, rumours and interviews.

They're just passionate fan... WAY too passionate, but still passionate nonetheless.
And I guess seing two characters from the company that own their character gets in, before their own character that have a special link with Nintendo must...have struck a nerve or two? I remember reading the reaction of Hero in their support thread and...It wasn't pretty

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Everyone's gonna have a bit of bias; Whether they show it up front or keep it to themselves depends on the individual. If something is really popular, a lot of people will have explicit biases towards it. This becomes a lot more apparent if the topic at hand is fairly niche, meaning there's a lot of room to fill to try and convince people that what they're biased towards really is popular.

I don't mean to be rude to Geno supporters, but it really feels like he's getting overhyped based on his Smash fandom popularity alone. He's not the main character of his one major appearance, and said major appearance is a cult classic overshadowed by two other Mario RPGs, both with a pool of quirky and unique characters of their own to draw from. I'm sure he's be cool and all, but we can't take every little thing as proof of Geno's inclusion. The hill's a lot steeper than you think.
Don’t generalize. I am sure not all Geno fans are like that. I mean, I like Geno, but I am nothing like that. I do think some Geno fans are exaggerating Geno’s chances, but any fan base has fans that do that with their character. Not all Geno fans are so bad.

Maybe we should find something else to talk about.
Yes, let's.

Anyways, let's rebound some highly unlikely crackheaded suggestions off each other, just to see what happens. I'll start us off with...

The Majestic Appletun

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
While you really went to put it, in a very blunt way...
It's not that they're obnoxious.
They're just passionate about a 20+ years old character in a side Mario Game, and said character missed 3 games. And I guess they try to find signs and way to keep this character "relevant" through fake leaks, rumours and interviews.

They're just passionate fan... WAY too passionate, but still passionate nonetheless.
And I guess seing two characters from the company that own their character gets in, before their own character that have a special link with Nintendo must...have struck a nerve or two? I remember reading the reaction of Hero in their support thread and...It wasn't pretty
Dare I ask what the reactions were in the Hero support thread? Note that I only joined Smash Boards recently, so I wouldn't know...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm finding myself curious as to what kind of gameplay or character choices Nintendo might/will make in the next Smash game given that its likely not going to be a variation of Ultimate. On one hand its such a golden goose and has been so perfected in various ways with this current edition that to change it seems crazy, but you also run the risk of having a title too similar to a previous one to the point that some would wonder why they should buy it.

Radical shifts in major fighting games have been hit and miss, whether its Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat and with Smash there's so many various directions they could choose to emphasize in the next game.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Dare I ask what the reactions were in the Hero support thread? Note that I only joined Smash Boards recently, so I wouldn't know...
No, I mean, the reaction of Hero in the Geno thread?
Well...He was probably hated by a good 80% of the people hating that they choose Hero with like 20% of rationate people.
But I'll put that on the "heat of the moment" kind of thing, than the fanbase being really bad

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Can you not?

Thanks.

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
Everyone's gonna have a bit of bias; Whether they show it up front or keep it to themselves depends on the individual. If something is really popular, a lot of people will have explicit biases towards it. This becomes a lot more apparent if the topic at hand is fairly niche, meaning there's a lot of room to fill to try and convince people that what they're biased towards really is popular.

I don't mean to be rude to Geno supporters, but it really feels like he's getting overhyped based on his Smash fandom popularity alone. He's not the main character of his one major appearance, and said major appearance is a cult classic overshadowed by two other Mario RPGs, both with a pool of quirky and unique characters of their own to draw from. I'm sure he's be cool and all, but we can't take every little thing as proof of Geno's inclusion. The hill's a lot steeper than you think.

Yes, let's.

Anyways, let's rebound some highly unlikely crackheaded suggestions off each other, just to see what happens. I'll start us off with...

The Majestic Appletun
HE WOULD BE SO CUTE AS A POKEBALL SUMMON, HOLY ****

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I didn't see that thread, but I know the Hero support group was in the Geno thread for a while. Worth stating it wasn't even really a bad time outside of sometimes being off-topic there.

People confused "understanding why this character wasn't first" with "****ting on this character", which was rarely the case. There was still cases of it, but any popular support thread got trolls.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
He's not a meme to us, he's a favorite character from one of our favorite games. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but we're not all like that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The bigger a fanbase becomes, the more unwieldy it becomes. The more people rile each other up, and the likelier you are to get rabid ideologues.

You also have to account for the likeliness of the character too. The longer the shot appears to everyone else, the crazier the rhetoric will seem.

Geno has a big fanbase. Online, at least.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm finding myself curious as to what kind of gameplay or character choices Nintendo might/will make in the next Smash game given that its likely not going to be a variation of Ultimate. On one hand its such a golden goose and has been so perfected in various ways with this current edition that to change it seems crazy, but you also run the risk of having a title too similar to a previous one to the point that some would wonder why they should buy it.

Radical shifts in major fighting games have been hit and miss, whether its Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat and with Smash there's so many various directions they could choose to emphasize in the next game.
I'm thinking they should throw "relevancy" out the window and just focus on cool, fun archetypes, both in terms of stages and in characters, and get people who would never even be considered in the current climate. Like for example, we get Lethe as a Beast unit rep, Aggron as a shout-out to kaiju films like Godzilla and Gamera, Adeleine as a summoner character, etc. That type of stuff. It would be the SNK vs Capcom: SVC Chaos to Ultimate's Mark of the Millenium, or the MVC3 to Ultimate's MVC2.
He's not a meme to us, he's a favorite character from one of our favorite games. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but we're not all like that.
I know, and I'm sorry you have to deal with the "One bad egg" situation. It's just that it gets kinda irritating when people start hyping up a fairly obscure character as the Holy Grail. I know a few people who are aware of Geno's niche status despite wanting him in, but they're all the type of people to stay silent, just like every other fanbase with a bad rep.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The bigger a fanbase becomes, the more unwieldy it becomes. The more people rile each other up, and the likelier you are to get rabid ideologues.

You also have to account for the likeliness of the character too. The longer the shot appears to everyone else, the crazier the rhetoric will seem.

Geno has a big fanbase. Online, at least.
I dunno, fanbases can be crazy, but I have not seen many other Geno fans rile up on each other and being rabid. Seems like a generalization. I mean, there may some people that do that, but I have seen more trolls cause trouble, but not Geno fans getting in each others and outsiders throats.

However, it is still something that can happen, and undoubtedly has happened for sure. I do worry about Geno fans acting crazy in terms of thinking Geno is in or is likely much.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
I know there's nary a mention of StarTropics, which is like reverse Murasame Castle due to the lack of Japanese release. There's also Famicom Detective Club, which I believe was considered for Melee but was dropped due to lack of international knowledge.
Again, the question was about "spirit", not "ip representment". StarTropics being a Nintendo western ip doesn't have any content whatsoever in Smash, and there is no spirit(s) for any characters features in the game.

Detective Club does have content in Smash in the form of a Ayumi Tachibana's trophy in Melee, and a spirit does exist in the form of Ayumi Tachibana. Now, it could be possible that the 2020 remake for Famicom Detective Club will include more spirit from that franchise.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Again, the question was about "spirit", not "ip representment". StarTropics being a Nintendo western ip doesn't have any content whatsoever in Smash, and there is no spirit(s) for any characters features in the game.

Detective Club does have content in Smash in the form of a Ayumi Tachibana's trophy in Melee, and a spirit does exist in the form of Ayumi Tachibana. Now, it could be possible that the 2020 remake for Famicom Detective Club will include more spirit from that franchise.
Yeah, that's what I meant. No representation at all, Spirits included. I mean, no representation means no Spirits, right?

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
My favorite to least favorite dlc
1. :ultbanjokazooie:- my most wanted newcomer for dlc so glad they made it in and are great!!!

2. :ulthero3:- never really thought about them but I like the gimmick and character

3. :ultbyleth:- loved three houses and was shocked to see them in but after the reveal I like what they did and not just another anime swordsman

4. :ultpiranha:- fun reveal never would have expected it just wish he came with a stage would have made him higher

5. :ultminmin- glad an arms character made it into smash but not my playstyle maybe that will change after time

6. :ult_terry: Great to see classic fighting characters in smash but way to complicated moveset for me

7. :ultjoker:- didn’t know him before smash and not a fan of the playstyle (need to play persona at some point) but the music was great

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Who's gonna be the next illustrious character to join the Fighter's Pass DLC?

View attachment 276888
If we get Crash Bandicoot, "Taz" the Tasmanian Devil from "Looney Tunes" would probably be the most obvious fictional character of choice, Seeing how the franchise and character were heavily influenced by it.

cac522-1-1.jpg

Not to mention they are both marsupials and attack with their trademark spin attack.

I also love how you have both Banjo-Kazooie as Yogi Bear and Woody Woodpecker.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dunno, fanbases can be crazy, but I have not seen many other Geno fans rile up on each other and being rabid. Seems like a generalization. I mean, there may some people that do that, but I have seen more trolls cause trouble, but not Geno fans getting in each others and outsiders throats.

However, it is still something that can happen, and undoubtedly has happened for sure. I do worry about Geno fans acting crazy in terms of thinking Geno is in or is likely much.
Last I checked the Geno thread was full of people riling each other up over Geno. Multiple times the staff had to intervene to calm the thread down. From my experience they were also very harsh towards any character that was perceived as a threat to Geno's viability.

I don't know if that's happened recently; it's been a while since I've been there. But it used to happen more than any other thread.

It's characteristic of a bloated fanbase. Ridley's did it last time. Banjo's was getting there last year.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
DLC rankings

:ult_terry:
Amazing character, ton of fun to use, has one of the best stages in the game, the cameos are awesome (Rock Howard is a massive plus, Max's reaction to him is excellent) and the plethora of music brings together a fantastic package. Just wish we got a remix for Geese's theme outside of CvS tracks which are in a weird place.

:ultjoker:
Another amazing character that's a ton of fun to use. I love that the stage is a take on Persona 5's menus rather than the actual Mementos itself. Music is great though I'd have liked Burn My Dread, Fog, Life Will Change and Heartful Cry as well.

:ultbyleth:
The character themself I don't care for, should have been a House Leader or at the very least had the Whipsword be the focus of the moveset. Stage is alright, the cameos are nice although damn the models look really rough. Music is excellent, just missing God-Shattering Star really.

:ultminmin
I don't really care about most of the content or the character honestly, Arms was always mid mid as hell to me. The stage is neat and the music is a bop though.

:ultbanjokazooie:
I don't care about any of the content. Spiral Mountain is headache inducing but at least the music isn't midi ****.

:ulthero:
I didn't enjoy anything here outside of providing multiple alts. The music really drags it down. Honestly Hero and Banjo are borderline tied, Banjo just gets the edge because he at least comes with somewhat decent music.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Last I checked the Geno thread was full of people riling each other up over Geno. Multiple times the staff had to intervene to calm the thread down. From my experience they were also very harsh towards any character that was perceived as a threat to Geno's viability.

I don't know if that's happened recently; it's been a while since I've been there. But it used to happen more than any other thread.

It's characteristic of a bloated fanbase. Ridley's did it last time. Banjo's was getting there last year.
Oops! I forgot what riling meant for a second. My bad. Still, not every Geno fan is that bad. Regardless, I wonder how Geno fans be if Sakurai never wanted Geno in a Smash Bros. game? They do overhype Geno and exaggerate his chances, especially with that one guy I am not going to name, but the one who does theories. I feel they are leading themselves to disappointment, even if they say they won't be disappointed.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm thinking they should throw "relevancy" out the window and just focus on cool, fun archetypes, both in terms of stages and in characters, and get people who would never even be considered in the current climate. Like for example, we get Lethe as a Beast unit rep, Aggron as a shout-out to kaiju films like Godzilla and Gamera, Adeleine as a summoner character, etc. That type of stuff. It would be the SNK vs Capcom: SVC Chaos to Ultimate's Mark of the Millenium, or the MVC3 to Ultimate's MVC2.
That could also be something where they could build an infrastructure for further user generated content to be utilized in single player mode. Have classic modes, spirit battles, adventure modes, etc be created downloadable elements ala levels and see what people could do with it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The **** are they gonna do, assassinate Crash Bandicoot?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That could also be something where they could build an infrastructure for further user generated content to be utilized in single player mode. Have classic modes, spirit battles, adventure modes, etc be created downloadable elements ala levels and see what people could do with it.
Ngl, at this point I think I'd rather they update Stage builder to allow people to make their own Break the Targets, Board the Platforms or Race to the Finish levels than add these modes by hand.

Saves dev time, lets fans express their ideas and gives shared content a bigger replay factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom