• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
There should be another Sakurai Famitsu interview this week right?

And patch 8.0.0 is very near now.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm not caught up one what EA owns, what EA characters could we possibly get?
Some notable ones they own are Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Plants vs. Zombies, Crysis, Unravel, and Dead Space. If we're getting a character (or anything else like Mii Fighter costumes and Spirits) from an EA game, I imagine it'd be someone from one of those.
They also have the Sims, Apex Legends, Battlefield etc. The Sims is talked about here on a (kinda rare) basis (mostly centered around Bella Goth IIRC), but at least it's talked about.

What could it mean?!?

This fantastical hint could mean anything!
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 X James Bond crossover? (Nah, scratch that.)

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Fourth Party is not a real term, stop using that.
If you REALLY want people to stop saying "fourth party", you might as well have to consider denouncing some other improper terms in Smasher lingo, like "deconfirm" for "disqualify/disconfirm", as well.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>everyone thinking we wont get a FE character next
>Not realizing we could get a TMS #FE character and it would be a loophole just like Nintendo used the "everyone is a protag" card on Min Min on how here it's technically a "different licence" not called Fire Emblem that is still part of Fire emblem.

Y'all ready to KOWA****AAAIII?

:yeahboi:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
You also forgot Command & Conquer and Titanfall..

"Commander, you've rained on my glorious parade! For this, I'm sending everything I've got at you, but I won't let you have the satisfaction of catching me! I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism... SMASH!"

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
>Not realizing we could get a TMS #FE character and it would be a loophole just like Nintendo used the "everyone is a protag" card on Min Min on how here it's technically a "different licence" not called Fire Emblem that is still part of Fire emblem.

you joke but that song's a jam

Replace lightsaber with J-pop song

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Let’s be honest the best DLC represented so far was Terry I am hoping for another DLC being represented perfectly as Terry was.
And what I mean by “perfectly” is representing entire company’s history much as possible.
Joker and Banjo and hero had the potential to represent rareware and Altus and Enix history but they didn’t bring anything.
Well, to be honest that's a bit unfair to other challenger packs. And I agree with you, I think that Terry's challenger pack was overall the best from the pass.

But having all IPs from a company in a single DLC character has just happened with Terry, so even if it would be really cool to see more newcomers bringing as much content as Terry, he's not what we should expect from DLC.

There are certain developers which I think could get a similar treatment assuming things go smoothly, but the ones I'm thinking of are "smaller" companies, so no Capcom, Square, etc.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
You also forgot Command & Conquer and Titanfall. They seem to be wanting to do to the latter what Min Min is doing for ARMS by finally releasing Titanfall 2 on Steam. Which I always found weird they never did, since it uses Valve's Source engine and a documentary on 1 was released there.
Speaking of Titanfall 2, not only did it just recently release on Steam but it also has a 67% discount to boot. It's one of the best FPS games of the last decade and it's a shame that it didn't get that much attention because EA ****ed up and released the game between the releases of the two heavy hitters Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Only if the reveal trailer explicitly references the classic Super Saiyan Marth scene.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Speaking in terms of fan reaction, how do you think non-Sora wanters would react to Sora if he got in? My guess is that a vocal minority of fans will throw a hissy fit because "Disney isn't video games! Grrr!" or "Just another anime sword fighter! I hate anime! Grrr!"
My guess is a general acceptance of the character and no vocal minority.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well, to be honest that's a bit unfair to other challenger packs. And I agree with you, I think that Terry's challenger pack was overall the best from the pass.

But having all IPs from a company in a single DLC character has just happened with Terry, so even if it would be really cool to see more newcomers bringing as much content as Terry, he's not what we should expect from DLC.

There are certain developers which I think could get a similar treatment assuming things go smoothly, but the ones I'm thinking of are "smaller" companies, so no Capcom, Square, etc.
Sakurai said it himself—they gave a list of 50 songs, expecting around 10 to be greenlit (I assume Nintendo gives them a price they’re willing to do for things like music, and the company chooses how many depending on the price), and SNK simply said “Okay!” The reason they were able to pull off so much is SNK was fine with as much representation as Smash wanted to give them.

Which makes me curious if that’s how licensing worked with other companies, but they were far more pickier. “Was it you Micro$oft that didn’t give us Final Battle and Rare spirits?!” :chuckle:

So I don’t really expect the same treatment with other companies. Plus Pac-Man and Terry seem like characters Sakurai chose as the representative of the entire company, rather than just their series.

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
I've seen some people express hating the idea of Sora getting into Smash. Not because of they necessarily hate Sora or Kingdom Hearts, but because they're afraid that it might pave the way to Disney buying out and taking control of Nintendo as a result of one of their properties being in the game (especially if any of the Disney characters make it in as cameos and/or Spirits). Would...that actually happen?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I've seen some people express hating the idea of Sora getting into Smash. Not because of they necessarily hate Sora or Kingdom Hearts, but because they're afraid that it might pave the way to Disney buying out and taking control of Nintendo as a result of one of their properties being in the game (especially if any of the Disney characters make it in as cameos and/or Spirits). Would...that actually happen?
Microsoft is also a multi billion dollar monopolistic corporation and I haven't seen them buying out Nintendo after Banjo made it in, so....... probably not.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Japanese government will not allow such an thing to occur. Disney maybe powerful but compared to an whole country? Not even close.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There is nothing on the internet that states this.
Reminder the US government had to get involved regarding Disney buying out Fox. I really doubt Japan would be willing to give away the most famous and iconic video game franchise to them.

Nintendo is to video gaming as Disney is to animation.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sakurai said it himself—they gave a list of 50 songs, expecting around 10 to be greenlit (I assume Nintendo gives them a price they’re willing to do for things like music, and the company chooses how many depending on the price), and SNK simply said “Okay!” The reason they were able to pull off so much is SNK was fine with as much representation as Smash wanted to give them.

Which makes me curious if that’s how licensing worked with other companies, but they were far more pickier. “Was it you Micro$oft that didn’t give us Final Battle and Rare spirits?!” :chuckle:

So I don’t really expect the same treatment with other companies. Plus Pac-Man and Terry seem like characters Sakurai chose as the representative of the entire company, rather than just their series.
Yeah. Also, SNK is being very open in the past years when it comes to crossovers and anything that can make gave them promotion, which is a nice move in order to keep retrieving the awareness among the public they once had. I'm mentioning this because that was probably one of the reasons they were happy giving 50 songs and all the other SNK content besides Terry and Fatal Fury.

Another situation like this one is highly unlikely, but I think it could work with certain companies such as Spike Chunsoft or ArcSys, decently recognizable and important but not super big that wouldn't get a 2nd rep if they ever get one to begin with, because getting the Terry treatment with the likes of Capcom, Square, Konami and more is just impossible.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah. Also, SNK is being very open in the past years when it comes to crossovers and anything that can make gave them promotion, which is a nice move in order to keep retrieving the awareness among the public they once had. I'm mentioning this because that was probably one of the reasons they were happy giving 50 songs and all the other SNK content besides Terry and Fatal Fury.

Another situation like this one is highly unlikely, but I think it could work with certain companies such as Spike Chunsoft or ArcSys, decently recognizable and important but not super big that wouldn't get a 2nd rep if they ever get one to begin with, because getting the Terry treatment with the likes of Capcom, Square, Konami and more is just impossible.
I'm sure indies would be pretty open as well, but A: Most don't seems to be considered big enough to get any more than a Mii or an Assist, and B: Most indie creators don't seem to have much beyond a handful of games.

SKX31

Smash Master
No, not really. Generally speaking companies have various reasons for buying X % of Y company, and other reasons for partnering with Z company. It goes case-by-case. But safe to say, a full take over of Nintendo would require much, much more money than what Disney paid for Fox. Besides, Nintendo's own ownership is incredibly split - the 10 largest shareholders "only" make up 1/3 of Nintendo's shares, and the largest share belongs to the Master Trust Bank of Japan. While foreign institutions and individuals make up almost 51 % of Nintendo's shares, they're even more split than the Japanese accounts. And Nintendo probably wants to keep it that way.

Also, neither Microsoft. Disney nor Tencent do this to all companies they work with. And Tencent's infamous for their strategy of aggressive buying.

I wouldn't be surprised if the songs were also relatively easy to get and SNK have owners willing to support their expansion / promotion each opportunity they get.

Also, could one add Marvelous or Taito to that category? I'm personally not sure, partly because I'm not completely familiar with those two.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
So the VA of Pyra/Mythra hints at a new project....

He is in boys!

AH **** I GOT GNOMED.

THE GNOME

GNOMES THE COMPETITION.

I see more people concerned about the fact that if Sora gets into Smash and somehow gets Donald and Goofy alongside him, people will use that as an argument for non-video game characters in Smash.

But i guess that's what happens when you visit other circles.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
she said the moon

it's gotta be something that focuses on moons, so Smash is out I guess
Pretty sure the pic of her dog's face on the moon is unrelated to her "clue".

Anywho, I don't want to get my hopes up too much for this but it's definitely interesting. Much prefer the JPN voice actress for Pyra/Mythra but Skye did a decent job as the latter in Torna, so it's nice to see her landing more roles.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
A while back, I did a thread for what characters would be (or would've been) cool to see as Assist Trophies for each Challenger Pack, were that possible. What characters would you guys like as that? Here are my picks, including the ones I've done:

:ultjoker:'s pack

-Futaba Sakura: Grants the summoner (and their allies) buffs to all their stats

-Jack Frost (SMT/Persona): Runs around shooting ice at enemies, sometimes clinging to upside down surfaces

:ulthero:'s pack

-Golem (Dragon Quest): Slowly walks around and chucks boulders at opponents

:ultbanjokazooie:'s

-Mumbo Jumbo: Casts a spell that randomly transforms the player*

*The transformations are as follows:

-Giant

-Tiny

-Invincible

-Bunny

-Metal

-Bullet Bill

-Super Leaf

-Superspicy Curry

-Gold

Or he can just turn you into a washing machine, leaving you completely helpless until the transformation wears off in ten seconds or an opponent tosses you off.

:ult_terry:'s pack

-Nakoruru: Fights opponents with her dagger and her trusted bird friend, Mamahaha

-Metal Slug: Rolls around and fires lasers missiles at enemies; takes a ton of damage, exploding upon defeat

:ultbyleth:'s pack

-Hanneman: Teleports around the stage and casts Sagittae. He takes less damage from projectile attacks and is immune to magic attacks, but is relatively weak to physical attacks

-Sothis: Accompanies the summoner and grants them the power of the Crest of Flames, which has a chance to restore 30% damage dealt to foes

:ultminmin's pack

-Urban Champion: Rushes to push opponents off the stage, sometimes burying them

jamesster445

Smash Lord
The voice actor of Pyra and Mythra posted this
And here's one of the guys from GameExplain congratulating her.

Don't know if it's Smash or not, but I thought to bring it up.
Jon Gamexplain commented on it, it's probably real. Only way to make it 100% real is if Ken's there.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Re: Disney buying Nintendo, I highly doubt it.

As of right now Disney is embracing a policy of licensing out their properties to video game developers. As of right now they have no need to purchase a large video game development studio. Unless for some reason they want Nintendo's properties? I don't see why they'd go after those now of all times.

Like, when they bought out Fox, they acquired the Fantastic Four and the X-Men for the MCU, which was a huge score for them. I would also say Disney+ was likely a consideration, as they were looking to acquire more properties for the platform exclusively. However, Fox was a competitor to them whereas Nintendo has been a large partner to Disney. There's no reason for them to buy Nintendo when they could just...work with them like they have multiple times over the last couple decades.

Also, while Michael's point isn't exactly correct, the process Disney would have to go through to buy Nintendo would likely involve the Japanese government considering that it involves a prominent Japanese company. Typically governments get involved in the mergers/buyouts of large companies to facilitate the process, and I wouldn't expect the Japanese government to be any different. Whether or not they would allow it is a whole other discussion, but considering Japanese culture, I don't think they'd be incredibly willing to give up any Japanese company to a foreign super-company. However, it's definitely possible for Disney to offer up the money or somehow get through negotiations with Nintendo.

So, it's possible, but Disney has no reason for it in the slightest. I'd say they'd buy out Sony for their Spiderman movie rights before they even think about touching Nintendo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom