• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Lets play a game simple game, lets think of a "generation theory", where they decided to include a character from each generation of consoles, you can view these in two ways:

Option 1:
1) Gen 8: WiiU, N3DS, Switch, PS4, XOne, PSVita (Min Min)
2) Gen 7: Wii, NDS, PS3, X360, PSP
3) Gen 6: NGC, PS2, Xbox, GBA, DC
4) Gen 5: N64, PS1, Saturn, GB/C (1996-2001)
5) Gen 4: SNES, Genesis, TG-16, Neo-Geo, GB (1989-1995)
6) Gen 3: NES, Master System, NEC

Option 2:
1) Gen 9: Switch (Min Min)
2) Gen 8: WiiU, N3DS, PS4, XOne, PSVita
3) Gen 7: Wii, NDS, PS3, X360, PSP
4) Gen 6: NGC, PS2, Xbox, GBA, DC
5) Gen 5: N64, PS1, Saturn, GB/C (1996-2001)
6) Gen 4/3: NES, Master System, NEC, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, Neo-Geo, GB (1989-1995)

PC and Arcades can be from any era.

My take (Option 1)

1) Gen 8: Min Min
2) Gen 7: Chorus Kids
3) Gen 6: Sora
4) Gen 5: Crash Bandicoot
5) Gen 4: Doom Slayer
6) Gen 3: Ryu Hayabusa
option 1:
1) Min Min (Switch)
2) Travis Touchdown (Wii)
3) Phoenix Wright (GBA)
4) Saki Amamiya (N64)
5) Axel Stone (Mega Drive)
6) Takamaru (Famicom Disk System)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Lets play a game simple game, lets think of a "generation theory", where they decided to include a character from each generation of consoles, you can view these in two ways:

Option 1:

Option 2:
6) Gen 4/3: NES, Master System, NEC, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, Neo-Geo, GB (1989-1995)

My take (Option 1)

Min-Min
Elma
Chorus Kids
Andy
Doom Slayer
Ryu Hayabusa

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I didn't say characters who don't have a great pressence on Nintendo consoles have a strong chance. I said characters who have a great pressence on Nintendo consoles are no more likely than those who don't. There's an equal chance. A Dark Souls character have the same amount of a chance as anyone. We need to stop thinking that characters like Rayman are shoe ins because they have a lot of games on Nintendo consoles. We need to put them on the same playing field as other third parties and compare and contrast their other qualities.
Okay, what about bigger 3rd party stuff with a Nintendo presence like Crash, Minecraft, & Monster Hunter, recent switch games like Sword/Shield and Xenoblade 2, long standing requests like Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Lloyd Irving & Geno, or frankly any moderately relevant gaming franchise with an actually marketable protagonist/mascot? Saying Dark Souls has a equal chance just because it's iconic really doesn't say much about why Dark Souls in particular would be desirable to Nintendo over any other character.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

So, on the topic of DLC speculation, where does your most wanted characters fall on the chart? Are they in a more saturated section or do they have fewer contemporaries going off these categories?
Is Chrom's placement in Middle of Melee and Brawler an error? Because I don't remember him punching or kicking in any of his attacks.

But to answer your question, where my most wanted fall on the chart listed in Primary/Secondary

Travis Touchdown: Melee/Brawler
Axel Stone: Pure Brawler
Crono: Melee/Energy
Klonoa: Brawler/Energy
Crash: Melee/Arsenal
Cortez: Arsenal/Melee

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Is Chrom's placement in Middle of Melee and Brawler an error? Because I don't remember him punching or kicking in any of his attacks.
Ah, yeah, that's one I missed that no one I showed this to mentioned. I always forget he's an echo of Roy despite having Ike's up-b. Guess none of my friends play Chrom enough to question it.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Okay, what about bigger 3rd party stuff with a Nintendo presence like Crash, Minecraft, & Monster Hunter, recent switch games like Sword/Shield and Xenoblade 2, long standing requests like Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Lloyd Irving & Geno, or frankly any moderately relevant gaming franchise with an actually marketable protagonist/mascot? Saying Dark Souls has a equal chance just because it's iconic really doesn't say much about why Dark Souls in particular would be desirable to Nintendo over any other character.
You act like you work for Nintendo and know what their decision making process is, besides trying to make money. The first Fighter Pass was pretty eclectic and I'm sure many of the characters had the same things said about them as you are saying about Dark Souls.
"Terry? Nintendo would never add another Ken over a new Pokemon".
"Joker? He doesn't even have a Nintendo presence! They would pick Geno over him for sure."

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, I've laid out my prediction for this pass. Mainly based around promoting characters in some way, though a couple stick out like Byleth did.
  1. Min Min-We know this already. Not much more to say. Moving on.
  2. Reimu Hakurei-Would have been the opener had COVID not shoved everything back. Since Japan's beginning to get everything back under control, CP7 would be the most logical choice for her. Represents indie games, as well as being absolutely massive in Japan.
  3. Rex-The other "Darnit, too late" character after an ARMS rep, and unlike them, he's explicitly the protagonist, and not just the guy on the box. He'd come fairly soon, as to ride the XCDE hype train while he still can. Chances are he'll be revealed alongside Reimu.
  4. Rayman-An Ubisoft rep, one of the most popular third-party Spirits, and a consistent collectible. He'd be revealed in the middle, as a Banjo-esque Western hype bringer.
  5. Bandana Waddle Dee-Aside from being a Spirit, he's also a promoted enemy character, as well as a rep for a fairly underrepresented series. He'd be like Byleth is that he'd be pushing a new Kirby game, but would be revealed about half a year later, after everyone knows about it.
  6. Lloyd Irving-Because we need a Bamco rep eventually. Placed at the end to subvert the tendency of "low notes" at the end, as well as because I couldn't find any potential reason to place him anywhere else.
I'd go more in-depth with them, but I guess I'm just not in the mood.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Option 1:

Option 2:

My take (Option 1)

Okay, then. I'll do option 1:

Gen 8: Captain Toad (Wii U)
Gen 7: Bandana Dee (Wii)
Gen 6: Leon S. Kennedy (NGC)
Gen 5: Sakura Shinguji (Saturn)
Gen 4: Dixie Kong (SNES)
Gen 3: Caeda (NES)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's such a range of presence on Nintendo's systems with the third-parties, between frequent, occasional, and almost none that I don't think it's even a particularly relevant factor in the decision-making process. And that swings both ways, in that having very regular appearances on Nintendo systems doesn't really seem to aid in chances either. It might aid in popularity, but then it becomes important only indirectly.

And like I said, there may be candidates out there with absolutely no Nintendo appearances, but I don't think receiving any of them is plausible anyway.

SKX31

Smash Master
Ah, yeah, that's one I missed that no one I showed this to mentioned. I always forget he's an echo of Roy despite having Ike's up-b. Guess none of my friends play Chrom enough to question it.
Then again, Roy and Chrom differ pretty significantly in terms of playstyle, spacing and combo structure: Roy plays much more agressively, when even his sourspots can combo into a kill move, Meanwhile Chrom's damage output is more consistent and he has a (semi-reliable) suicide kill, but lacks the horizontal recovery.

So yeah, one can argue that Roy rely more on the slicing part, while Chrom is more physical with his movements (IIRC Chrom has more combos and options from throws, but I could be off course there).

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
New characters are hype and all, but more than anything at this point I just want a Boss Battles mode. There are 10 unique bosses but like 80% of the Classic Mode routes end with the damn Hands. The closest we have is the Boss Rush at the end of WoL, but to play that you have to a) boot up WoL (ew yuck no thanks) and b.) run through the mediocre platforming section. And even then the bosses there are weaker than normal!

I know Sakurai said HRC was the last new mode, but the new score-based rematch mode added to Sprits makes me hope that maybe they can sneak BB in there.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Not only that, but Chrom is probably the closest to a "Ken" echo situation in the roster compared to the others one.
Most of his animations differs from Roy because of the simple fact that he handle his sword normally instead of reverse grip, giving weird Hitbox changes and shenanigans, like his jab, up-tilt or f-tilt.
He's virtually an echo-fighter. But he drastically change physically and animation wise even in his attacks and combo routes that it's difficult to even call him one when you take time to look at him or play him.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I would like Smash run along with Boss rush. even if Smashh run was paid I'd be down. if those 2 modes get in This would definitely be best Smash game

CureParfait

Smash Ace
In regards to your most wanted character, what kind of "cute detail" would you want for them? Like, a reference to their home games in a way that doesn't necessarily affect gameplay much (or at all). A good example of this is Joker's victory screens being just like in Persona 5, with him doing victory laps around the area, and his All Out Attack finishing screen too.

For me, I'd want Sora's HUD icon render to change expressions during battle like it does in the original Kingdom Hearts games when he gets hit or is low on health, just in the Smash render art style instead of the hand drawn styles seen in KHI, KHII, and KH3D.

Like...
https://www.khwiki.com/images/7/7b/Sprite_Sora_N_KH_1.png Normal
https://www.khwiki.com/images/a/a3/Sprite_Sora_N_KH_2.png Taking damage
https://www.khwiki.com/images/2/28/Sprite_Sora_N_KH_3.png At 100% damage or low Stamina
I see Darkrai throwing their Dark Void all over the place in the victory scene. Similar to how Darkrai flings their Dark Void everywhere in one of their Pokken victory scenes.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The voice actor of Pyra and Mythra posted this
And here's one of the guys from GameExplain congratulating her.

Don't know if it's Smash or not, but I thought to bring it up.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Anyone: *does something*

Smash Fans: Is this a hint for Smash!?

This was posted on Gamefaqs and someone did mention there was a rumor of a female guest character in MK11. The Intense line would make sense for that.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Probably not at this point. If I had to guess it’d be for a voiced Pyra/Mythra cameo in Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.

future patch with crossover boss fights/party members?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The only time I've seen one of these situations where a video game VA says "just got done recording for a top-secret project!!" and said project was ACTUALLY Smash was back in the Smash 4 days with Adam Howden (Shulk's VA).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The only time I've seen one of these situations where a video game VA says "just got done recording for a top-secret project!!" and said project was ACTUALLY Smash was back in the Smash 4 days with Adam Howden (Shulk's VA).
Obviously, this type of stuff only applies to Xenoblade VAs:4pacman:

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and Boss Rush (With additional ones added like Porky and Rayquaza), that'll make me happy enough.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, on the topic of bosses, what two bosses do you wanna see if we get two more? My picks are Porky and Grima (the latter has you fighte Fell Robin on dragon Grima's back).
Any SNK Boss (Rugal, Goenitz, Orochi, Igniz, Magaki, etc) and an upgraded version of Tabuu

or Eggman

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Kanden, Noxus, Spire, Sylux, Trace and Weavel.

What'd make this boss fight unique is rather then the usual big boss, you fight these guys at once kinda like multi-man melee if you get what I mean.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
A lil off topic but about Sylux I hope Nintendo drop the ball by making Sylux the lost brother of Samus, Solomon Aran that would be nuts and twist Samus having to fight her own family.

This idea is one of my reason I want Sylux for Smash Bros lol

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You know, on the topic of bosses, what two bosses do you wanna see if we get two more? My picks are Porky and Grima (the latter has you fighte Fell Robin on dragon Grima's back).
Crocomire would be pretty cool, instead of a health bar you'd work to push him into the lava like in Super Metroid, would go some way to introducing some more unconventional bosses. Would love to get a 3D reimagining of his skin melting off, granted it'd probably be toned down.

Rugal would also be ace, could make him act like a traditional fighting game boss who reacts to the player, rather than how the current bosses just pause -> attack -> pause -> attack.

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
Seeing Porky make a return as a boss would be cool, and Grima’s an amazing choice for an FE boss representative. Having the new remix of ID Purpose play during the fight would be amazing too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
DJ Octavio

& Dragaux

He's a freaking evil bodybuilding dragon

c'mon

and also Eggman

SNEKeater

Smash Master

As far as I know the guys from GameXplain invited her to a video they did, or maybe it was a podcast or something like that, so they knew each other. It doesn't have to be Smash related, and if it is, I'd say I don't think Rex would be FP7. I mean I don't know how these things work but if she's doing lines for Smash right now I'd guess Rex would come later in the pass.

Also, while I could live without having Rex and Pyra in the roster, I'd completely happy for her if it happens. I started following her after Xenoblade 2 came out and she's great and she does some cool music as well.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
assuming Galeem and Dharkon are also included by default: Sephiroth and Eggman

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I hate boss rush modes, or any mode that’s like a gauntlet type challenge—it’s why I wasn’t a fan of Mario Odyssey’s ending.

That being said, what I would like is being able to play any boss with any fighter without having to go into WOL. What I would like is to have a Bosses section in Games & More, and have the option to select a boss with a character or do a Boss Rush mode.

And Sakurai stated it was *pretty much* their last major new mode in the B&K presentation—nothing stopping them from changing that now that we have Volume 2. I just don’t expect any other major new mode.

SKX31

Smash Master
Rework either Dark Emperor, Yellow Devil and / or Metal Face into actual bosses for Classic / WoL. They could still remain as stage bosses (just like how Rathalos fills double roles), it's just a shame that the stage boss idea remains an artifact from 4 - without seeing the bosses get anything meaningful in Ultimate outside of :ultridley: and his promotion to playable. Would also go a long way towards diversying the classic bosses.

If we're talking exclusively new bosses, I'm partial to a few:

Dragaux
Gruntilda
Geese
Arthas (WarCraft's Lich King) if not playable.
Space Invaders if not playable, partly because we already have Galaga as an item and it would make for a change of pace as a boss fight (With the bases becoming upward shooting barrels).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
"Wild Zelda" sounds like the name of a Zelda who goes insane after waiting 100 years for Link to wake up and then has to watch him find all 900 Korok seeds.
Just imagine, waiting 100 years for a man to save you, watching generations die and be born, trapped in a fight against a pig ghost demon, only to watch said man collect golden turds instead of rushing towards your resque.

I'd be pretty wild too. Probably.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm pretty sure we're gonna get a Smash Ultimate DX version for whatever comes after the Switch honestly. Expect new modes there. Not for Ultimate.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Wild Zelda unironically sounds like something I'd find on a rule 34 website.

Why does anyone think that's a remotely good name?

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure we're gonna get a Smash Ultimate DX version for whatever comes after the Switch honestly. Expect new modes there. Not for Ultimate.
I'd drop $60 on a Ultimate DX if it has just one little thing.

Rollback netcode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom