• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I think a lot of people are sleeping on Inteleon. He's not my personal choice for a Gen 8 Pokemon, but I do feel like he's been ignored without any real explanation.

At the very least, he's probably better-suited for Smash than the other two due to him having a lot more material to work with (shooting water from finger like a sniper, hidden knife in tail, cape-like membrane that allows him to glide). The Sobble line is also getting a decent push from Game Freak. It's not comparable to Scorbunny, but it's a lot better than Grookey.

There's also the popularity poll, which may or may not be taken into consideration if the Pokemon had already been chosen by the time the results came out. Still interesting to look at though.

I just feel like it'd be Cinderace 'cause anime relevance.

What's their name has a Raboot and it'll evolve sooner or later, and of the 3 starters, it's clearly the most popular.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Well, let's see....
  1. Isaac in Smash. It worked for Fire Emblem, it worked for Kid Icarus, it worked for Xenoblade, it worked for Dragon Quest, and now it looks to be working for ARMS. Smash is the biggest and best advertisement in all of gaming, and Isaac joining the roster would be a great way to drum up attention.
  2. A Dragalia Lost banner. As a mobile game, Dragalia appeals to more casual audiences. By putting Isaac and co. in there, the casual audience could be drawn in, especially if the event emphasizes they're from Golden Sun, now on Nintendo Switch™.
  3. A strong marketing campaign. The reason games like Klonoa and formerly Fire Emblem are overlooked is because nobody knew about them. By pushing the series through social media, TV ads and aforementioned crossovers, people we see it and get hooked.
  4. Have MonoSoft or another big company pitch in, and advertise it as "Made by the team behind (insert popular game here)," which will draw in fans from those fanbases.
NOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T BRING BACK GOLDEN SUN IT'S TOO NICHE IT'S NOT POPULAR ANYMORE AND CAN'T BE REVIVED AND IT CAN'T BE COMPARED TO FIRE EMBLEM (despite the first game beign localized way before any FE game and didn't need Smash Bros Melee's advertising to become a moderate success) NOOOOO NOOOO.

Ha Ha Golden Sun comes back.

......i wish.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just feel like it'd be Cinderace 'cause anime relevance.

What's their name has a Raboot and it'll evolve sooner or later, and of the 3 starters, it's clearly the most popular.
Yeah, but I think that's oversimplifying things. Apparently Sakurai has a little control over who gets in the DLC if Ninjara was someone he considered.

Game Freak says that they trust Sakurai to make the decisions, and I'm sure that'll continue to be the case here too unless Nintendo is adamant about a particular Pokemon (I doubt it though, seeing how they really didn't care about ARMS). Sakurai tends to use moveset potential as his main reason for choosing certain Pokemon. I don't wanna undersell Cinderace too much because that's exactly what happened to Incineroar, but all it's really known for is kicking. It can kick fighters, it can kick projectiles, it's modeled after a football player, but that's about the scope of it. Unique moveset potential is a little fuzzy, and I'm not sure if "football player" is a trope Sakurai will feel like Smash is desperately needing.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, but I think that's oversimplifying things. Apparently Sakurai has a little control over who gets in the DLC if Ninjara was someone he considered.

Game Freak says that they trust Sakurai to make the decisions, and I'm sure that'll continue to be the case here too unless Nintendo is adamant about a particular Pokemon (I doubt it though, seeing how they really didn't care about ARMS). Sakurai tends to use moveset potential as his main reason for choosing certain Pokemon. I don't wanna undersell Cinderace too much because that's exactly what happened to Incineroar, but all it's really known for is kicking. It can kick fighters, it can kick projectiles, it's modeled after a football player, but that's about the scope of it. Unique moveset potential is a little fuzzy, and I'm not sure if "football player" is a trope Sakurai will feel like Smash is desperately needing.
But we also can't overlook that they tend to promote the hell out of characters that conveniently get into Smash.

Happened with Lucario

Happened with Greninja

Sorta happened with Incineroar(Ash eventually got one, and it's clearly the best of the Alolan starters gameplay-wise, though that's unimportant).

The fact that they seem super focused on pushing Cinderace via the anime sooner than later, unless Ash magically gets a Sobble or Grooky, it feels like they're playing favorites once more.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm sure Game Freak do trust Sakurai to make the decisions after they provide him with the extremely shallow pool of acceptable choices.

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
I still lowkey think a Gen 8 Pokemon is EXTREMELY likely for the pass.

Between ARMs and now 3 Houses, Smash has 2 games that missed the boat for Ultimate's base roster, and despite Pokemon already being heavily represented, I just can't not see it get in at this point, it's Pokemon, the biggest multi-media franchise in the world.

I'm not going to say it's a lock, because outside of genuinely leaked, more-or-less confirmed information, nothing is a 'lock' when it comes to Smash, but I'd be shocked if we didn't get it.

My only question is, who would it be?

Cinderace, who'd be picked because "It's the starter we're going to use for the anime that all the kids will recognize"?

Kubfuu/Urshifu, because "We want to promote the DLC"

or Toxtricity, the "Fans like it and we snuck it into ****ing USUM and no one realized until years later."

View attachment 276169

I may personally think Sword and Shield are bad Pokemon games, but I'm not going to let my own issues with the game cloud my personal judgement. At the very least, the music would be very nice.... and the stage would look better than Gen 8 as a whole.
I really hope they pull a :ultpiranha: and add a Pokemon just because they thought they would be really unique. Something like Grimmsnarl or Mr. Rime or Centiskorch.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Oooo, are we having the dead Nintendo franchises that would benefit from a Smash character? In that case, I think I have to nominate the King of that Genre:

Between Suda51 and Hideki Kamiya both expressing interest in reviving the franchise, Nintendo Land basing a mini-game off it, and the game finally receiving an English release on the 3DS, I'm incredibly surprised Nintendo is still content to leave it in the dark. Plus, the timing feels almost perfect with games based on Feudal Japan like Sekiro and Ghost of Tsushima being in vogue. Zelda is also re-exploring it's NES roots through BotW, so that's a great excuse to revisit Zelda 1's cousin. Give the series the first push it needs through upgrading Takamaru to a full playable character and you've got some strong potential for a success on your hands.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If you were Sakurai, and your mission was to make FP2 be a pass that adds popular and/or longstanding fighter requests amongst the fanbase, and the pass is an even 3-3 split, what two other first-party characters do you include alongside Min Min that has a similar if not broader mass appeal? Only stipulation is no characters that are already ATs (so no obvious Waluigi/Isaac picks), but anybody else, spirit or not, is fair game.

I'd go myself with Elma/Bandana Dee, as both characters are very popular amongst the general fanbase and are at this point notable admissions from the roster. Impa and Dixie would be next in line if not for their easy echo potential, and I love Toad but realistically could see those two before him given PP already being a Mario DLC character
For me, I would go with Bandana Dee and The Shake King.
Bandana Dee: Kirby hasn't gotten a new rep after Brawl for years.
Shake King: Wario Land is pretty much terribly represented.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The fact that they seem super focused on pushing Cinderace via the anime sooner than later, unless Ash magically gets a Sobble or Grooky, it feels like they're playing favorites once more.
One of the upcoming episodes features a Sobble. Since Gou already has Raboot and because it's almost an unspoken rule that each starter has to be captured by one of the main characters, I think it's worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
One of the upcoming episodes features a Sobble. Since Gou already has Raboot and because it's almost an unspoken rule that a main character has to capture each of the starters, I think it's worth keeping an eye on.
You're not wrong, but I'm still hesitating on it tbh.

I'm not going to try to talk metagame, but, they clearly made Cinderace the best of the trio gameplay wise because they just copy/paste'd Greninja's ability onto it, and that helps its popularity immensely.

We'll see in the end. I'm extremely confident that they won't pass up a Gen 8 Mon since Sakurai seems all too happy to add in games that missed Ultimate, like ARMs or Three Houses, so Sword/Shield seem like a given, but we won't know until it happens, if it happens.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
But we also can't overlook that they tend to promote the hell out of characters that conveniently get into Smash.

Happened with Lucario

Happened with Greninja

Sorta happened with Incineroar(Ash eventually got one, and it's clearly the best of the Alolan starters gameplay-wise, though that's unimportant).

Reportedly it's looking like Ash will get Sobble so Inteleon does have room to grow if his previous two starters are any indication. On a similar note, you mentioned Toxtricity earlier and that one has popped up in promos here and there, so it may be one to watch as well.

Cinderace is definitely ahead in the race, but as the old story goes you have to watch out for slow and steady.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Oooo, are we having the dead Nintendo franchises that would benefit from a Smash character? In that case, I think I have to nominate the King of that Genre:

Between Suda51 and Hideki Kamiya both expressing interest in reviving the franchise, Nintendo Land basing a mini-game off it, and the game finally receiving an English release on the 3DS, I'm incredibly surprised Nintendo is still content to leave it in the dark. Plus, the timing feels almost perfect with games based on Feudal Japan like Sekiro and Ghost of Tsushima being in vogue. Zelda is also re-exploring it's NES roots through BotW, so that's a great excuse to revisit Zelda 1's cousin. Give the series the first push it needs through upgrading Takamaru to a full playable character and you've got some strong potential for a success on your hands.
Wasn't he also featured in a Dynasty warriors game? The fact remains that I think people know about him enough that Sakurai could include him as the classic/retro character for next Smash's base game.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Wasn't he also featured in a Dynasty warriors game? The fact remains that I think people know about him enough that Sakurai could include him as the classic/retro character for next Smash's base game.
Yeah, not only did Takamaru appear as a guest character in the Samurai Warriors 3, they basically reimagined the entirety of Mysterious Murasume Castle as a bonus mode in that game. It's very clear that a lot of Japanese devs fondly remember the original game, which just makes it all the more strange that none of them have actually approached Nintendo to make the magic happen yet.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I agree that a Gen 8 Pokémon DLC is extremely likely. As far as sales go, I’m sure they could do a lot worse than pick from the single biggest gaming franchise in the world, with a ton of passionate fans behind it. I would almost consider it a lock.

I also hate the idea of a Gen 8 Pokémon DLC so, so much. It’s like hype poison to me.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I agree that a Gen 8 Pokémon DLC is extremely likely. As far as sales go, I’m sure they could do a lot worse than pick from the single biggest gaming franchise in the world, with a ton of passionate fans behind it. I would almost consider it a lock.

I also hate the idea of a Gen 8 Pokémon DLC so, so much. It’s like hype poison to me.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So I'm looking at everything from the Fighters Pass and so far we have characters that fit under the following.

-Promotional fighters for a Switch game.
-Popular new hit character not necessarily on the Switch.
-Character who has a huge history in gaming as a whole.
-And a long requested fighter for years.

Pretty diverse selection. Hero is an interesting case because he checks off a lot of that. Promotional fighter for a Switch game? Check.
Huge history in gaming? Check.
Long requested fighter for years? Check.

Joker is unprecedented compared to everyone else. In the past, 3rd party characters that get into Smash are legends. Classics that date way back. But Joker is much newer.

Either way, the one thing everyone has in common is that they're important faces in their respective games. Min Min is a unique case where the popular one was chosen with the loophole of "everyone is a protagonist". But with other games things are cut and dry. There should be no mistaking who it is they will choose for long established games. For this reason I still don't think we're going to get characters like Dixie or Bandana Dee. Those are unmistakably secondary characters. It's going to be a big face for a particular game or series.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Definitely seems possible this very well may be the case.

Not sure who they'd go with, the reception to the starters were lukewarm at best I found. Personally wasn't a fan of them either, plus I'd like them to go for a Pokemon that isn't a starter this time around cuz it always seem such a copout pick to just go with a startermon.

I feel Toxtricity may have a decent shot, and I would at least prefer it. It's a lot more interesting of a Pokemon than any of the starters being a Punk Rocker with Poison and Electric powers and sound based moves. Plus it can show off it's Gigantamax form in it's Final Smash.

I did a write up a few days ago before Min Min's reveal on the remaining 5 fighters and I forgot to mention the possibility of a Gen 8 Pokmon, as it does seem rather likely. I'd go with Toxtricity personally. I'd actually wager the Pokemon could even be the final reveal considering how recent SwSh were, almost the exact same case as Byleth and Three Houses for the first Pass.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Not sure who they'd go with, the reception to the starters were lukewarm at best I found. Personally wasn't a fan of them either, plus I'd like them to go for a Pokemon that isn't a starter this time around cuz it always seem such a copout pick to just go with a startermon.

I feel Toxtricity may have a decent shot, and I would at least prefer it. It's a lot more interesting of a Pokemon than any of the starters being a Punk Rocker with Poison and Electric powers and sound based moves. Plus it can show off it's Gigantamax form in it's Final Smash.

I did a write up a few days ago before Min Min's reveal on the remaining 5 fighters and I forgot to mention the possibility of a Gen 8 Pokmon, as it does seem rather likely. I'd go with Toxtricity personally. I'd actually wager the Pokemon could even be the final reveal considering how recent SwSh were, almost the exact same case as Byleth and Three Houses for the first Pass.
Same, would go with the punk rocker.

Shroob

Sup?

Personally, I'd go with Fighter 3, since, assuming we get a character every 3-4 months going from here on out, that'd put them around roughly November/December, right around time for the Crown Tundra DLC to launch.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I'm predicting an Echo Fighter pack. Containing 4 Echo Fighters that are based on fighters on the base game with 2 new music tracks.
Here are my picks:
Octoling (Inkling)
Blaze the Cat (Sonic)
Morpho Knight (Meta Knight)
Zack Fair (Cloud)

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
inteninja.jpg

I feel like Inteleon's biggest problem is that there might be too many similarities between them and Greninja. Inteleon seems like a pokemon that would be fast, light-weight, do quick low damaging attacks, and be susceptible to being KO'd early. I'm positive that if they got in, Sakurai would do wonders for their moveset, but I am concerned about there being overlap with not only Greninja, but with Sheik and joker as well.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I almost never consider anything a "lock" for Smash. The only exception to this or the only time I wouldn't have found the idea silly is when it comes to Inkling joining Switch's Smash, and lo and behold she was revealed before we knew SSB Ultimate was SSB Ultimate..

Shroob

Sup?
The obvious answer to why it's for 100% for sure totally not joking here Cinderace.

How do we follow up ARMs?

LEGs.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Smash will in fact get a prominent Pokemon character in order to promote a very popular contemporary game...

...when Todd Snap debuts as a fighter in conjunction with New Pokemon Snap!

Use his apples as weapons, put fighters to sleep with the Pokeflute, run over foes with the ZERO-ONE, and show no mercy with the Pester Ball. In 2021, Todd Snaps the Competition in two!
Objectively the correct choice for a Pokemon rep, don't @ me you know I'm right

I honestly don't know what's taking them so long to make a modern reboot for this franchise. Like, both Suda and Kamiya want to make it? These guys run studios that you have a great relationship with! Nintendo's promoting NMH3 like it was their own game, they clearly trust Suda to deliver. But if Suda seems too risky, just go for Platinum, aka a studio that's its own selling point. Astral Chain was a new IP and they took the plunge, why not Murasame?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm predicting an Echo Fighter pack. Containing 4 Echo Fighters that are based on fighters on the base game with 2 new music tracks.
Here are my picks:
Octoling (Inkling)
Blaze the Cat (Sonic)
Morpho Knight (Meta Knight)
Zack Fair (Cloud)
If we were to get an Echo Fighter pack (which based off of what Sakurai had previously stated he wants to keep any DLC fighters as unique as possible, so it's unlikely, but with that in mind)

Octoling:ultinkling:
Impa:ultsheik: or Twili Midna :ultzelda:
Dixie Kong :ultdiddy:
Shadow :ultsonic:

I feel like if there were a DLC pack for echoes Sakurai would still be able to include Shadow regardless of his role as an Assist Trophy, due to how simple it is to add echoes compared to unique fighters.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
If you were Sakurai, and your mission was to make FP2 be a pass that adds popular and/or longstanding fighter requests amongst the fanbase, and the pass is an even 3-3 split, what two other first-party characters do you include alongside Min Min that has a similar if not broader mass appeal? Only stipulation is no characters that are already ATs (so no obvious Waluigi/Isaac picks), but anybody else, spirit or not, is fair game.

I'd go myself with Elma/Bandana Dee, as both characters are very popular amongst the general fanbase and are at this point notable admissions from the roster. Impa and Dixie would be next in line if not for their easy echo potential, and I love Toad but realistically could see those two before him given PP already being a Mario DLC character
Basic answer, but unsurprising from me.
1593056472629.png
You said nothing about bosses...

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Objectively the correct choice for a Pokemon rep, don't @ me you know I'm right

I honestly don't know what's taking them so long to make a modern reboot for this franchise. Like, both Suda and Kamiya want to make it? These guys run studios that you have a great relationship with! Nintendo's promoting NMH3 like it was their own game, they clearly trust Suda to deliver. But if Suda seems too risky, just go for Platinum, aka a studio that's its own selling point. Astral Chain was a new IP and they took the plunge, why not Murasame?
I'm assuming a lack of communication is to blame. Nintendo likely wants Suda or Kamiya to come to them with a pitch, while Suda and Kamiya figure that Nintendo would bring a project to them if they're serious about reviving Murasame Castle. I think both parties like the idea, but neither is quite committed enough to buckle down, bring something to the other, and start the process.

Then again, both studios have two major Switch exclusives in the works. Maybe when Nintendo's suits and Suda/Kamiya are discussing No More Heroes 3/Bayonetta 3 late in development, someone on the Nintendo side of things will say "Hey, how serious were you about that Mysterious Murasame Castle project?". After all, Famicom Detective Club is getting a remake sometime this year, so we're already living in the wildest timeline imaginable short of a Time Twist remake.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
You know what IP I'm surprised hasn't received a reboot/revival yet?

Ice Climber
I mean, there's so much potential for making a vertical scrolling platformer with light combat and ice breaking mechanics, as well as a fleshed out two-player co-op using both Popo and Nana to solve more complex puzzles and traverse more complex areas. It could be more exploration focused compared to games lik DK or Yoshi (in addition to being more vertically focused) as you try to climb up the mountains to your destination, perhaps even adding in some sort of story elements to make it more interesting for the player.

Despite them being in Smash since Melee, there's not only seemingly no plans for a game like this, but barely any Smash fans are even asking for this even though there was an outcry for their return in Smash 4. It just seems like such a waste of potential but then again Nintendo is known for their wasted potential.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Even though I have my doubts about Layton, though it'd be hella cool if he did come.

C'mon, you gotta give us Wright then too. Phoenix vs Layton would be so dope.
Or even better, run with them as a tag team and have them kick ass all over Smash.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
View attachment 276190
I feel like Inteleon's biggest problem is that there might be too many similarities between them and Greninja. Inteleon seems like a pokemon that would be fast, light-weight, do quick low damaging attacks, and be susceptible to being KO'd early. I'm positive that if they got in, Sakurai would do wonders for their moveset, but I am concerned about there being overlap with not only Greninja, but with Sheik and joker as well.
This reminds me of the Incineroar argument back with the base roster. Similarly, with Incineroar many denounced it because they felt it'd be too similar to Charizard or Bowser for it to be worth adding over other Pokémon since it'd just be another fire themed heavyweight. When it got in, while there were similarities, the way it played and how it was implemented was different and charming enough that it more then stood out for many Smash fans, with some even being won over after being down on the idea. Inteleon (and the other two starters, which get similar arguments) would probably be the same way, there are going to be some of the similarities you mentioned like it being light-weight and fast, but conceptually there's more then enough differences in that if it were to get in it probably would stand out more then enough. For instance, its core concept already has it as a sniper, which would mean that unlike Greninja (or Sheik) it wouldn't want to be in close quarters, so that's already something to work with in differentiating the two.

Granted, if I had a choice of a Gen 8 Pokemon it'd probably be someone like Toxtricity or Zacian, but at the same time I don't think any of the other options would be bland if they were added. I feel all of them have something to add to the game that will stand out, even if they aren't my preferred option for a character.

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
You know what IP I'm surprised hasn't received a reboot/revival yet?

Ice Climber
I mean, there's so much potential for making a vertical scrolling platformer with light combat and ice breaking mechanics, as well as a fleshed out two-player co-op using both Popo and Nana to solve more complex puzzles and traverse more complex areas. It could be more exploration focused compared to games lik DK or Yoshi (in addition to being more vertically focused) as you try to climb up the mountains to your destination, perhaps even adding in some sort of story elements to make it more interesting for the player.

Despite them being in Smash since Melee, there's not only seemingly no plans for a game like this, but barely any Smash fans are even asking for this even though there was an outcry for their return in Smash 4. It just seems like such a waste of potential but then again Nintendo is known for their wasted potential.
I would love if Nintendo did this. The Ice Climbers have been among my favorite characters since I played Brawl for the first time.

Sadly I'm assuming nothing is ever gonna happen unless maybe fans have some large outcry in social media, however it feels like most people don't care much about them outside of Smash...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To go back to Smash influencing franchise popularity, Ness was always in Smash but it took until like, the mid 2010's for Earthbound to get released in Europe and FE almost died despite a decade of Smash, needing to stand up on it's on feet and escaped the jaws of death.

Also, the only character I consider a lock is Dante. Suddenly gained a massive surge of popularity for Itsuno to address it? Ok. Itsuno saying we should be asking for DMC on Switch before Dante in Smash only for DMC on Switch to be announced shortly afterwards? Probably using Smash popularity to get people to buy the game, that's surprisingly common.

DMC3 BEING A ****ING DEFINITIVE EDITION THAT'S ONLY AVAILABLE ON SWITCH? Yeah that HAS to mean something to me

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
The obvious answer to why it's for 100% for sure totally not joking here Cinderace.

How do we follow up ARMs?

LEGs.
I too agree with Cinderace being the possible Gen 8 rep Smash fighter. Specially, if the producer of Sword & Shield Masuda also asks for a special request since Scorbunny is one of his favorite starter.

Cinderace could be like the Min Min situation where the producer is picking the choice instead of Sakurai's own personal decision.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Nah that was DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon

I'd know

I wrote a couple on 4chan that he catalogued.

kekw
Kirby Gun.jpg

Yeah that whole project was a mess.

I sometimes think had I kept up with it I could've ended up with some "sources" and become a psuedo-insider myself.

But I'm glad that I chose to have a life in college, so it was worth dropping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom