• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
You never know, there are always People that crave the COD in Smash

Video titled dumbest character ideas for Smash 4

*sees Albert Wesker*

....I personally would like to see that. Wesker is one of my favorite gaming villains. Plus he ultimately made it as a Spirit in Ultimate so he got the last laugh. XD

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know what we ought to be mad about-

Helix is barely in the trailer, he's not in the FS, and his spirit is one star.

**** that ****.

HE'S A GOOEY BOY WHO'S TRYING HIS BEST, HE'S ONLY TWO

I know I needed to get something off my chest when I brought him up, but was bringing Fatman up a good idea?
It never is

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I know I needed to get something off my chest when I brought him up, but was bringing Fatman up a good idea?

Still, to be a messiah, you have to be 100 percent sure of things, and Fatman did not say he was 100 percent sure on things. He just has theories.
Oh, don't take that post as me being serious, it was just a joke I made.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

**** that ****.

It never is
My bad, then. Just wanted to get something off my chest, but maybe that shouldn’t have happened.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

**** that ****.

It never is
helix was ****ing robbed

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Video titled dumbest character ideas for Smash 4

*sees Albert Wesker*

....I personally would like to see that. Wesker is one of my favorite gaming villains. Plus he ultimately made it as a Spirit in Ultimate so he got the last laugh. XD
All I'm saying is in a Wesker trailer of some sort, whether it be if he were to somehow get in over Chris, Leon and/or Jill as a fighter or if he were a Mii costume, they better reference his Egg line from RE5

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh, don't take that post as me being serious, it was just a joke I made.
I figured, but I just had to say that.

Still, one thing I noticed, Fatman’s theories seem based mostly on patterns about Smash reveals. I can’t help but think, what if those patterns are broken and thus, he turns out wrong on any of them?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what balance changes do we think are coming in the update?

Besides Little Mac now having the worst recovery of all boxing characters. (goes off to sob some more)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Let's drop the Fatmanonice topic. Aside from it being off-topic for a newcomer speculation thread, it doesn't seem like it's going to end well. (people have strong opinions either way, or misinterpret what he says either accidentally or intentionally, just based on this recent discussion alone)

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
You want know what's an underrated take-away from the trailer? How good it looked. Cel-shading really makes the ARMS cast pop in the best way.

Fingers crossed it's the art-style in ARMS 2: ARMageddon.

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
Doom was on more computers in its heyday than Windows 95, is the reason Valve exists, and has a modding community that is still active 26 years after release.
I'm not saying DOOM isn't big, it definitely is, and has existed longer (not sure that matters too much though), but Minecraft is also incredibly huge with an active modding, texturepack/resourcepack making, skin making, and map making community, being active since it could be modded and stuff in 2010 (and of course then there's the large amount of players who just play and don't do that stuff), with over 112 million players every month, and it's incredibly popular in Japan and not just in the West.

Of course I don't think being big matters too much in comparison with other big franchises - especially when they're not picking franchises/characters based on platform they're on and stuff anyway, and they have nothing to do with each other - but still. Both games have very good legacies and are still going.

Last edited:

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
Hey so I heard about a glitch with Ness that has to do with his eyes that people connect to Professor Layton. I’m just wondering if anyone can give me an explanation on what that glitch is or how to connects to him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You want know what's an underrated take-away from the trailer? How good it looked. Cel-shading really makes the ARMS cast pop in the best way.

Fingers crossed it's the art-style in ARMS 2: ARMageddon.
ARMS 2: The Home Stretch
ARMS 2: The Gauntlet

...I wish I had other funny name ideas. ._. Damn.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have no strong opinions on Minecraft, but given the range of IPs I've seen make it as Spirits/Mii costumes, from active to dead, to Nintendo to tangentially relevant, from indie to triple A, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten any form of representation yet.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hey so I heard about a glitch with Ness that has to do with his eyes that people connect to Professor Layton. I’m just wondering if anyone can give me an explanation on what that glitch is or how to connects to him.
There’s nothing that supports characters being in because of character-related glitches. It’s a whole lotta nothing, my dude.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
I have no strong opinions on Minecraft, but given the range of IPs I've seen make it as Spirits/Mii costumes, from active to dead, to Nintendo to tangentially relevant, from indie to triple A, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten any form of representation yet.
Im thinking maybe a mii costume, there isn’t that much Microsoft Mii costumes unless you consider Cuphead one. But who knows, Steve would be an interesting fighter.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
There’s nothing that supports characters being in because of character-related glitches. It’s a whole lotta nothing, my dude.
I did not say I was agreeing, there was other glitches people connected to fighters but they seemed to connect through moves and Moveset, and not their art style or look. So I do not understand why people think they are connected that way.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not saying DOOM isn't big, it definitely is, and has existed longer (not sure that matters too much though), but Minecraft is also incredibly huge with an active modding, texturepack/resourcepack making, skin making, and map making community, being active since it could be modded and stuff in 2010 (and of course then there's the large amount of players who just play and don't do that stuff), with over 112 million players every month, and it's incredibly popular in Japan and not just in the West.

Of course I don't think being big matters in comparison with other big franchises - especially when they're not picking franchises/characters based on platform they're on and stuff anyway, and they have nothing to do with each other - but still.
As I've said before, it's a case of old school vs. new blood (Well, relatively new, anyways). Doom heavily influenced the PC gaming scene, but Minecraft was THE PC game of the early 2010's.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I guess i should point out that whenever a rule gets broken, speculation suddenly goes nuts with characters that also break that rule being the next addition or potentially all the following characters also break that rule which IIRC has never happened that consistently.

Like, Banjo is a western third party but so far he is the only one that broke that rule. We have yet to see another character to also break the rule and we only have 5 attempts to see if it happens again (GIB BANDICOOT!)

We get a highly requested character from a ballow and then people think we will get everything that had ballot popularity. Except, that only really applied to K.Rool and the Belmonts (plus a few echoes). DLC had nothing related to ballot.

And now we have the same song with spirit promotions. We are probably getting one or two promotions besides Min Min, so don't expect the whole Fighter's Pass to be purely promotions. It will save you from the inevitable dissapointment (Because salt and dissapointment are the only sure things you can expect in a smash reveal) :4pacman:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Im thinking maybe a mii costume, there isn’t that much Microsoft Mii costumes unless you consider Cuphead one. But who knows, Steve would be an interesting fighter.
Lots of fans don't want him as a fighter because of how out of place he is as well blocky animations.
(Don't get me started on Groqtuese Steve...)

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
As I've said before, it's a case of old school vs. new blood (Well, relatively new, anyways). Doom heavily influenced the PC gaming scene, but Minecraft was THE PC game of the early 2010's.
I think both would be cool (but I REALLY want doom slayer), they both had big parts in the gaming scene.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I guess i should point out that whenever a rule gets broken, speculation suddenly goes nuts with characters that also break that rule being the next addition or potentially all the following characters also break that rule which IIRC has never happened that consistently.

Like, Banjo is a western third party but so far he is the only one that broke that rule. We have yet to see another character to also break the rule and we only have 5 attempts to see if it happens again (GIB BANDICOOT!)

We get a highly requested character from a ballow and then people think we will get everything that had ballot popularity. Except, that only really applied to K.Rool and the Belmonts (plus a few echoes). DLC had nothing related to ballot.

And now we have the same song with spirit promotions. We are probably getting one or two promotions besides Min Min, so don't expect the whole Fighter's Pass to be purely promotions. It will save you from the inevitable dissapointment (Because salt and dissapointment are the only sure things you can expect in a smash reveal) :4pacman:
If there is one thing, character reveals and fan rules being broken do not mean other characters will get in. The people who act the way they do when such things happen are just overreacting.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Lots of fans don't want him as a fighter because of how out of place he is as well blocky animations.
We do not speak of such things
Anyways, he doesn't have to have an exact, one-to-one translation. Minecraft Story Mode and various fan animations give him some extra joints out of convenience, nothing says Smash con't do that. Plus, he doesn't necessarily have to move too much in his attacks. He could be like Villager, summonging blocks and structures to attack instead of his tools.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Now that I think about it, Call of Duty is almost never talked about in terms of Smash bros despite it's influence and size as a franchise. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm asking it for Smash.
I’m a big COD fan (COD4 is my 3rd favorite game ever), but I don’t think it’d work as a playable character in Smash.

I think it’s generally too serious/realistic to fit well with the other playable characters. I think the same about Grand Theft Auto too. They’re highly important, mega-series but they both deal with subjects that are incredibly mature & don’t paint it over with goofy, video game stuff like Metal Gear, Bayonetta & Persona do.

Moveset/appearance wise, COD & GTA would both be normal guys with real guns too. It could work but they’d look super out of place. I think the limit for how realistic characters could be are Lara Croft & Nathan Drake; sure they’re realistic people with real guns but they’re also fun treasure hunters who deal with mystical stuff that they could pull moves from.

I’m down for Captain Price & Ghost Mii costumes though (CJ for GTA as well). A spirit event would be cool too

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
I think Dungeons and the new Nether Update trailer, plus a few fan animations and other official animations, have proved he can be animated well and show personality, now including through facial expressions as the Nether Update trailer makes a perfect example.

It's disappointing how some people may use the trolls' Grotesque Steve as a reason to hate him, though (I know some people did before), since they're not real fans and even started attacking Steve fans on twitter and likely elsewhere such as Discord (they did raid the Steve for Smash discord). The fans who are super against/hateful about Steve don't beat the amount of people who want him, though.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
So what balance changes do we think are coming in the update?

Besides Little Mac now having the worst recovery of all boxing characters. (goes off to sob some more)
I'm gonna wildly guess:

Slight :ultgnw: / :ultpikachu: / :ultzss: nerfs (why does Pikachu's dash attack have 17 frames of shield stun?), but not to the point of leaving them in the dumpster (like how :ultjoker: was nerfed in 7.0). Overall buffs to the cast, but it's going to be very difficult to say who benefits the most (:ultcloud: and :ultsamus: were the biggest winners in 7.0, with :ultzelda: not far behind). Also expecting a mechanic change that affects most characters - last time it was shield size, this time might be something like air speed to balance the cast and Min Min. Hoping for additional glitch fixes, like :ultfalco:'s Up Smash having a big blind spot that he could absolutely do without.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
Anyways, he doesn't have to have an exact, one-to-one translation. Minecraft Story Mode and various fan animations give him some extra joints out of convenience, nothing says Smash con't do that. Plus, he doesn't necessarily have to move too much in his attacks. He could be like Villager, summonging blocks and structures to attack instead of his tools.
yeah, just like saying Doom slayer can’t be in because he is too gory/violent. I don’t think ID and Bethesda would care too much about gore and violence with him. Doom slayer isnt a gory character, It’s just the games he is in, and the violence isn’t too bad if there isn’t blood in it, it’s used to exaggerate his violence. No blood = less violence.

Also on the GBA games the blood in it was turned to green and Doomguy’s face isn’t bloody when hurt and that made it from an M rating to a T rating, further proving that less blood means less violent

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
yeah, just like saying Doom slayer can’t be in because he is too gory/violent. I don’t think ID and Bethesda would care too much about gore and violence with him. Doom slayer isnt a gory character, It’s just the games he is in, and the violence isn’t too bad if there isn’t blood in it, it’s used to exaggerate his violence. No blood = less violence.
Agreed. Minus the Glory Kills, which are only in the new games and are basically edgy Looney Toons anyways, most of the violence is the aftermath of his attacks, not the direct point like in, say, Mortal Kombat. If we can get Joker's Gun to work, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for the Slayer.
(Yeah, I know Joker's gun is only real in Mementos, but you'd only know that if you know about his home game. As far as Smash is concerned, that's a real gun.)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Minecart as Side-B, Elytra as Up-B and maybe Wither with Enderdragon as Final Smash.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
Agreed. Minus the Glory Kills, which are only in the new games and are basically edgy Looney Toons anyways, most of the violence is the aftermath of his attacks, not the direct point like in, say, Mortal Kombat. If we can get Joker's Gun to work, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for the Slayer.
(Yeah, I know Joker's gun is only real in Mementos, but you'd only know that if you know about his home game. As far as Smash is concerned, that's a real gun.)
I’d say with the gun thing is that if you point a Doom 2016 pistol at someone, they would be less likely to react to it as badly as Joker’s Pistol. Jokers pistol might be fake but it is a way more realistic looking gun than all of the Doom Eternal weapons, they have a sci-fi/fantasy look.

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
You never know, there are always People that crave the COD in Smash

I almost forgot there was a time when Steve for Smash was a meme. I get that 2014 was when the cringey Minecraft kids were at their peak, but you're gonna tell me he's a more ridiculous inclusion than Marceline from Adventure time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom