• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
The thing about Geno is that over this past year two big roadblocks have been lifted for him, with both "long dead characters" and spirits being added to the game. The problem is, neither of those things can be classified explicitly as evidence toward Geno, just things that happen to apply to him. As far as evidence toward him, there is none (if you don't count cacomallow, which is undoubtedly fake).
See I don't even agree with this because while a lot of the rules have been broken, Geno represents a combination of a lot of those same rules that haven't been broken yet.

Here are the three big factors I look at for non-omnipresent gaming icons: relevancy, appearance frequency, role (protagonist/antagonist/etc).

The "irrelevant" argument is generally referenced to a character not appearing in a long time. This applies to K Rool, Banjo, Ridley and Dark Samus. All of these have appeared in more than 1 game and have primary roles (main protagonist or antagonist). Unused characters, but ones with legacy outside of arguably Dark Samus.

We have plenty of one off characters, but they don't break the relevancy or role rule. The closest would be Dark Pit who breaks role and appearance frequency, but not relevancy as his game was a year old when revealed (a game developed by Sakurai himself I might add).

We have plenty of characters that break the relevancy rule, but none that break role or appearance frequency.

Geno would break all three. A one-off non-protagonist in a 25 year old game. Does that mean he's not getting in? Of course not, he's more likely to get in than ever before. But he would be an extreme anomaly on the roster compared to even the other "irrelevant" characters.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
It may be those people’s fault in that case, but they aren’t responsible for everything here. Not every factor. Theorizing or not, Fatman is still responsible for bringing his theories up, which, in turn, can and does lead to overhyping and misleading people. He may not have told them what to do, but he is still an influence, like how people do things role models do. Like, that is. And people are believing him. You can’t just have one thing without the other. Fatman is only right on some things, and even if you think it is plausible, you should still hype responsibly, regardless of what he says or how credible what he says sound.
I don't see why he should be held responsible for others getting mad. He should be able to bring up his theories with reasonable people without worrying about other people letting their potential disappointment turn into angry fit-throwing, and without worrying that people are gonna get mad at him because of those people. Theorizing isn't a bad thing if you can handle being wrong, which I'm pretty sure he and others in the Geno thread can; he isn't misleading anyone when he specifically says he's theorizing, and with the general knowledge that what he does share that isn't a theory could be wrong info (like those mii costumes). As I said, a lot of the people in there don't fully agree with him, arguing with him on some points and giving their own FP predictions that don't match his.

Now why would MS push that over evergreen promo characters like Steve or Master Chief? Who knows. We don't actually know how that meeting went down. For all we know, they could've just been easier to get than MC or Steve because of digging up old contacts with Rare people rather than needing to get people like 343 or Mojang involved.
The thing is Fatman is undoubtedly an insider. The only active one on this site in fact (at least openly and in the speculation topics). People are going to take his word on stuff because he DOES know things. He's even spread those things around to fellow Geno fans by his own admission. His "I'm just a speculator" shtick doesn't work when he has access to information that others don't and that's going to give him a veil of legitimacy even if he does end up just falling for a ton of leakbait.

So yeah, I hope if he ends up being wrong, people don't end up taking it out on him, but I can't imagine some sort of resentment not forming, at least among newer people that are looking for any thing they can "confirming" Geno to latch onto.
Microsoft owns all three companies. Steve wouldn't be anymore difficult than Banjo & Kazooie; idk about Master Chief, though, since he is their XBox/PC-exclusive dude...but if Microsoft wanted to, they could still let Nintendo use him. 343 and Mojang may have a say in it, too, but Mojang is very easy-going when it comes to lending rights and allowing a bunch of fan content and stuff, and Minecraft is close with Nintendo - idk how 343 would be.

About Fatman: I know he's technically an insider on some stuff, but a few things he's gotten right and mostly everyone in there knows some of the stuff he gets could be wrong. He also makes it very clear when something he says is a theory; he may also theorize based on stuff he gets, but still, it's a lot of theorizing at that point, like when stuff could potentially be revealed and what could happen or what's likely/unlikely, and no one seems to be following that as 100%; people even argued with him earlier. No one is strictly following his insider stuff as 100% going to happen, either, we just think some stuff is good/plausible for Geno.

Really, if people read what people say in there, they would know this about the users. And yes, Geno has stuff going against him, but it appears there may also be things going for him.

He also shares stuff he gets with some users, them being confidants, and they haven't said anything bad about him even if they may not trust everything as being correct (just like we don't) - including a user who was somewhat rude and very much against him and the Geno thread as a whole before he talked to Fatman in private.

Tbh though I just don't want people going back to calling him and everyone else "cultists" and crazy and stuff when everything I've seen for over a year clearly goes against that, which is really only why I'm bothering to respond about him and I fear him and the Geno thread users being brought up in here when Geno is mentioned :urg:

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Banjo has a profound relationship with Nintendo, representing an iconic time period during its transition from 2D to 3D. It's more than just a "fan pick", it's a legacy pick that its parent company isn't doing anything with. The only similarity between him and Geno is parental company abandonment. His legacy is a single game, a cameo that was later removed, a mii costume in Smash 4, and a forgettable spirit battle. They're really not comparable.
Geno's legacy isn't much, but Super Mario RPG does have a semi-important legacy for the Mario franchise. It is what caused the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series to exist in the first place. They wouldn't have been made otherwise. I'd feel like the whole point of including either Geno or Mallow would be highlighting that.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Many people will more readily believe things they want to believe, and some people take advantage of that. That's a big problem in the Geno thread. It's not exclusive to that thread, but the more people all pushing for the same thing, the more mob mentality can take effect.

And what I mean by incredible disadvantage is that most of Geno's qualities run antithetical to what Smash seeks. His game is old, Smash tends to focus on newer releases. He's from a spin-off, Smash tends to focus on the mainline titles. He's a supporting character, those typically get lesser treatment than the lead. He's had one (substantial) appearance, but in series with static casts, those that show up more frequently stand in a better stead. And he's third-party. It'd be hard enough to get a first-party character with all those hindrances, but not being owned by Nintendo adds all kinds of complications.

And I know that Geno fans will try to rebuke these drawbacks by isolating each point and providing an individual counterexample, but that's missing the point that all these hindrances apply to a single character, not the several it takes to provide counterpoints. That's what I mean by incredible disadvantage, he has quite a bit working against him just based on who he is.

These are also salient points, ones that more revolve around issues being a third-party.

Within the confines of the online fanbase, Geno is a big player, but once you widen those confines, the opposite is the case. And the DLC exists to cater to more than just us. To that end, it's a very valid point that with the limited number of third-parties, would they want one to be a character with such a narrow visibility? It's not Sakurai calling the shots after all, it's Nintendo. Their agendas are not the same.

I mean, people used to believe that once Square got on board, we'd get Geno. But we got Cloud. Then they believed Geno would be next. But we got Hero. Now they again believe Geno to be next, but it's not like Square is anywhere close to hurting for bigger remaining options.

Now this all seems like I'm coming down super hard on Geno, and I get that. But really all I'm trying to say is that the picture painted of him within the Geno thread is certainly done with bias in hand, and I'm offering the less-touched-upon angles which challenge the belief of inevitability. I don't think he's some no-hoper, I do think he's possible. I think he's got a better shot than some characters raised. There are things to be said for his popularity. But they've already been said to death, and I think people get the wrong idea just because of that popularity, failing to consider the huge deficit a character in his position simply starts from.
You are right. Nintendo would not likely make an obscure character DLC if not many will buy him, and people do tend to believe what they hear. But even Fatman can be wrong as an insider and with his theories. I just hope people don’t take it out on him if Geno is not in.

Shroob

Sup?
See I don't even agree with this because while a lot of the rules have been broken, Geno represents a combination of a lot of those same rules that haven't been broken yet.

Here are the three big factors I look at for non-omnipresent gaming icons: relevancy, appearance frequency, role (protagonist/antagonist/etc).

The "irrelevant" argument is generally referenced to a character not appearing in a long time. This applies to K Rool, Banjo, Ridley and Dark Samus. All of these have appeared in more than 1 game and have primary roles (main protagonist or antagonist). Unused characters, but ones with legacy outside of arguably Dark Samus.

We have plenty of one off characters, but they don't break the relevancy or role rule. The closest would be Dark Pit who breaks role and appearance frequency, but not relevancy as his game was a year old when revealed (a game developed by Sakurai himself I might add).

We have plenty of characters that break the relevancy rule, but none that break role or appearance frequency.

Geno would break all three. A one-off non-protagonist in a 25 year old game. Does that mean he's not getting in? Of course not, he's more likely to get in than ever before. But he would be an extreme anomaly on the roster compared to even the other "irrelevant" characters.
But Ridley's been in a game, quite recently at that.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Microsoft owns all three companies. Steve wouldn't be anymore difficult than Banjo & Kazooie; idk about Master Chief, though, since he is their XBox/PC-exclusive dude...but if Microsoft wanted to, they could still let Nintendo use him. 343 and Mojang may have a say in it, too, but Mojang is very easy-going when it comes to lending rights and allowing a bunch of fan content and stuff, and Minecraft is close with Nintendo - idk how 343 would be.
I just brought up a possibility. There could be any number of reasons why they went with Banjo over the others, none of which we'll ever know.

About Fatman: I know he's technically an insider on some stuff, but a few things he's gotten right and mostly everyone in there knows some of the stuff he gets could be wrong. He also makes it very clear when something he says is a theory; he may also theorize based on stuff he gets, but still, it's a lot of theorizing at that point, like when stuff could potentially be revealed and what could happen, and no one seems to be following that as 100%. No one is strictly following his insider stuff as 100% going to happen, either, we just think some stuff is good for Geno.

Really, if people read what people say in there, they would know this. Yes, Geno has stuff going against him, but it appears there may also be things going for him.

He also shares stuff he gets with some users, them being confidants, and they haven't said anything bad about him even if they may not trust everything as being correct like we do - including a user who was somewhat rude and very much against him and the Geno thread as a whole before he talked to Fatman in private.
There are people in there that literally believe Geno is 100%. I've seen at least two posters say they would be devastated if Geno isn't in and IIRC the worst thing to happen this year if the costume came back (like, seriously? a year like this?). A lot of that is a result of Fatman's theorizing. I won't say it's his fault, I'll say it's the fault of people that read into it that way. It doesn't change that every little thing can contribute to an ultimately toxic mindset. It's called confirmation bias and for some people that take this stuff too seriously, that's outright dangerous.

Like I said, people are going to look for anything to latch onto their preferred character. Geno just happens to have the added benefit here of an actual insider who has an air of authority around him, even if he doesn't want that authority or never intended to be seen as such in the first place (I mean who would, the guy has gotten death threats over this nonsense).

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
CJBrine, I don’t think you can speak for everyone. I did not say it was Fatman’s fault, but how people are being overhyped would not happen if it weren’t for him. People tend to believe what they want to believe, and that can be a fault at times. I just worry people wil turn on Fatman if he is wrong, not accept it is their fault, take it out on him. Even as an insider, he is not always right.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Can't wait for Warden Honor to make it into Smash, he's an icon who been making the rounds lately. FP 7 for sure.
totally in.jpg

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You are right. Nintendo would not likely make an obscure character DLC if not many will buy him, and people do tend to believe what they hear. But even Fatman can be wrong as an insider and with his theories. I just hope people don’t take it out on him if Geno is not in.
When your information is consistently false, you're only playing at being an insider.

Can't wait for Warden Honor to make it into Smash, he's an icon who been making the rounds lately. FP 7 for sure.View attachment 276007
The most generic swordsman of all generic swordsmen. I'll take it.

Ironically, even though he's just a guy in armor, he'd stick out in Smash because nobody we have wears a suit of armor.

Edit: In the medieval sense.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mainly because Xenoblade 2 a successful game already. The common link between the 1st party DLC newcomers(except Plant who was planned to be base game anyways and its not part of the FP) is that Nintendo clearly didn't think their games would sell without help from Smash. ARMS was forgotten in public eye before March compared to Xenoblade 2.
This point honestly doesn't make much sense at all for the following reasons:

1. ARMS outsold Xenoblade 2 by a significant amount: from June 2017-September 2018 (fifteen months), ARMS sold 2.1 million copies. From December 2017-March 2019, the same amount of time, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold 1.73 million. By these metrics, ARMS sold significantly better.

2. Your implication that Nintendo thinks Fire Emblem wouldn't sell without Smash is waaaaaaaaay off base. Smash got the series going in the west, true, but the momentum lasted for two games, and come Path of Radiance it hit a massive sales slump due to terrible marketing. Shadow Dragon sold poorly despite coming out less than a year after Brawl, the best-selling Smash game at the time, and despite starring Marth. That's what happens when the extent of Nintendo's marketing was "plop a bare bones tutorial video on the Wii Video Channel." Awakening then got actual marketing after FE12 stayed Japan-only and its success had pretty much nothing to do with Smash when it released, and it's been successful worldwide since. And Three Houses was successful looooong before Byleth got in Smash.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Geno's legacy isn't much, but Super Mario RPG does have a semi-important legacy for the Mario franchise. It is what caused the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series to exist in the first place. They wouldn't have been made otherwise. I'd feel like the whole point of including either Geno or Mallow would be highlighting that.
The only problem with that is, as it was said before, SMRPG is an old game, and aside from the rpg aspect it's widely different in aesthetic from both Paper Mario and M&L. I feel like Paper Mario has a stronger case to be a "mario rpg" rep in general, as he's more recognizable (outside of smash discussion), Nintendo doesn't have to negotiate for his IP, and he's from a still-running series of games.

I know it sounds like I'm hating on Geno, but I don't dislike the character. In fact I would be very happy for his fans if he got in. I'm just trying to be realistic with his chances and how much competition he actually has.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Ironically, even though he's just a guy in armor, he'd stick out in Smash because nobody we have wears a suit of armor.

Y'know, Black Knight's AT might not have that many moves, but the ones he does have are actually fairly unique compared to the others. I wish we could've traded the FE Echoes and Corrin for the three ATs. They'd represent the series better, and they'd give us some more unique movesets.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If anything Xenoblade 2 needs the bump in sales.

And I think that game made a hefty profit, considering its the best selling Xenoblade game and had paid DLC which the fanbase loved.

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
I just brought up a possibility. There could be any number of reasons why they went with Banjo over the others, none of which we'll ever know.

There are people in there that literally believe Geno is 100%. I've seen at least two posters say they would be devastated if Geno isn't in and IIRC the worst thing to happen this year (like, seriously? a year like this?). A lot of that is a result of Fatman's theorizing. I won't say it's his fault, I'll say it's the fault of people that read into it that way. It doesn't change that every little thing can contribute to an ultimately toxic mindset. It's called confirmation bias and for some people that take this stuff too seriously, that's outright dangerous.

Like I said, people are going to look for anything to latch onto their preferred character. Geno just happens to have the added benefit here of an actual insider who has an air of authority around him, even if he doesn't want that authority or never intended to be seen as such in the first place (I mean who would, the guy has gotten death threats over this nonsense).
I think they went with Banjo-Kazooie because of fan-demand stuff, and maybe the Nintendo legacy. It made me happy, too, I'm just sayin' y'know, Microsoft owns them. I'm hoping Steve gets in for this pass personally, but of course there could be no more MS characters...

And alright; honestly I do remember at least one dude saying Geno was guaranteed, but he didn't appear to be that serious (edit: forgot there was another user who seems to feel similarly about Geno definitely getting in, however he appears to be rather cheery so I don't think he would turn angry and rude if wrong), and I see very few users taking Geno not getting in as an absolute devastating and depressing thing (tbh though I don't really remember any specific user saying that kinda stuff, but it is kinda familiar, however it does appear to be a very small amount of people if so...). I hope users are taking it more lightly and finding it plausible/good for Geno, but not 100% or extremely likely, at best. Some users seem to be having fun with it, considering it but not 100% believing it will turnout way.

And yeah I hope no one actually goes against Fatman and blame him if he and others turn out to be wrong; I hope no one ends up acting extremely entitled and angry about anything. I guess I'm also just scared of people in this thread making fun of Fatman/the others of us in the Geno thread, since they did that last year after he got something that turned out to be wrong/nothing (and they blamed him for others over-hyping and mistaking stuff as fact or using stuff he said in arguments, those others admittedly including me at some points tbh but I never intended to be rude or anything when talkin' stuff he said I just thought it was likely) and they tended to do that almost everytime Fatman was brought up afterwards, with people even saying he's a liar when in reality everything he said before the thing he got wrong was stuff from Sabi and the Nintendo ambassador dude (that they really heard with a few things panning out) and/or was his own theories with him specifying that, and nowadays he of course has confidants that could verify whether he's lying or not.

CHBrine, I don’t think you can speak for everyone. I did not say it was Fatman’s fault, but how people are being overhyped would not happen if it weren’t for him. People tend to believe what they want to believe, and that can be a fault at times. I just worry people wil turn on Fatman if he is wrong, not accept it is their fault, take it out on him. Even as an insider, he is not always right.
Okay. I realize that. I guess I just didn't understand, as there appears to be very few people over-hyping themselves in that manner, but I also hope no one turns on him if he ends up being wrong. Maybe I just took some stuff you said wrong, and for that I apologize. I guess I feel like people are disregarding most stuff said from him and others in there as nothing logical or something...but I see now, you're just hoping no one attacks him for stuff that's not full-proof or being assumed as such, and with that I agree.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think they went with Banjo-Kazooie because of fan-demand stuff, and maybe the Nintendo legacy. It made me happy, too, I'm just sayin' y'know, Microsoft owns them. I'm hoping Steve gets in for this pass personally, but of course there could be no more MS characters...

And alright; honestly I do remember at least one dude saying Geno was guaranteed, but he didn't appear to be that serious, and I see very few users taking Geno not getting in as an absolute devastating and depressing thing (tbh though I don't really remember any specific user saying that kinda stuff, but it is kinda familiar, however it does appear to be a very small amount of people if so...). I hope users are taking it more lightly and finding it plausible/good for Geno, but not 100% or extremely likely, at best. Some users seem to be having fun with it, considering it but not 100% believing it will turnout way.

And yeah I hope no one actually goes against Fatman and blame him if he and others turn out to be wrong; I hope no one ends up acting extremely entitled and angry about anything. I guess I'm also just scared of people in this thread making fun of Fatman/the others of us in the Geno thread, since they did that last year after he got something that turned out to be wrong/nothing and they tended to do that almost everytime Fatman was brought up afterwards, with people even saying he's a liar when in reality everything he said before the thing he got wrong was stuff from Sabi and the Nintendo ambassador dude (that they really heard with a few things panning out) and/or was his own theories with him specifying that.

Okay. I realize that. I guess I just didn't understand, as there appears to be very few people over-hyping themselves in that manner, but I also hope no one turns on him if he ends up being wrong. Maybe I just took some stuff you said wrong, and for that I apologize. I guess I feel like people are disregarding most stuff said from him and others in there as nothing logical or something...but I see now, you're just hoping no one attacks him for stuff that's not full-proof or being assumed as such, and with that I agree.
Thanks for realizing that, though I must admit that I may have accidentally thought there were more than a few people overhyping that. My bad.

Droodle

Smash Lord

Generic?

Excuse you, but THE WARDEN represents the purest form of CHIVALRY out there. Is there any other character out there who can claim to be as CHIVALROUS as THE WARDEN? I think not.

I don't expect you to know this, but THE WARDEN has a lot of history out there, in fact THE WARDEN is actually based out on the idea of a KNIGHT. Is there any other character in Smash that is a KNIGHT? No, I think not (and META-KNIGHT does not count, okay?) He really is a character archetype that would be new and refreshing to explore in the world of Smash, the other THE WARDEN fans and I have wanted WARDEN in Smash for years; so please try not to degrade THE WARDEN into an generic character, because if you were actually a WARDEN fan, you'd know that THE WARDEN would be a unique and exciting character in Smash.

Besides, we have so many ANIME SWORDSMAN in Smash already, that I think THE WARDEN would be a nice change of pace before we eventually get even more ANIME SWORDSMAN.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
That's a very disjointed legacy because it involves relationships between a friendly platform holder and third party completely breaking down after a perceived betrayal. Think Banjo, but without an amicable separation.

And even then, we're talking about a non-protagonist here.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Generic?

Excuse you, but THE WARDEN represents the purest form of CHIVALRY out there. Is there any other character out there who can claim to be as CHIVALROUS as THE WARDEN? I think not.

I don't expect you to know this, but THE WARDEN has a lot of history out there, in fact THE WARDEN is actually based out on the idea of a KNIGHT. Is there any other character in Smash that is a KNIGHT? No, I think not (and META-KNIGHT does not count, okay?) He really is a character archetype that would be new and refreshing to explore in the world of Smash, the other THE WARDEN fans and I have wanted WARDEN in Smash for years; so please try not to degrade THE WARDEN into an generic character, because if you were actually a WARDEN fan, you'd know that THE WARDEN would be a unique and exciting character in Smash.

Besides, we have so many ANIME SWORDSMAN in Smash already, that I think THE WARDEN would be a nice change of pace before we eventually get even more ANIME SWORDSMAN.
Honestly, Meta Knight seems closer to a mix between ronin and captain than an actual knight. There's no king he serves that we know of, and he's the one calling the shots. Then again, King Dedede is only a self-appointed ruler, so maybe Dream Land can't be bothered to care about definitions too much.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
With the counter points already made on this topic, is that really evidence to begin with? Even by a little?
Id personaly say him talking about Geno means nothing. Sakurai can talk about how much he loves Blastoise but that doesnt mean hed show up in the game but, and Im sorry in advance because I dont wanna be seen as rude to your fandom, they love to bring up that point like it makes a difference. Im not even gonna talk about the costume video because thats been beaten to death and my thoughts on it

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I wonder how Nintendo would have changed if they had actually bought the rights to Harry Potter back in the 90's like they originally planned.

There's a alternate timeline where Harry has been in Smash and Ron is the new Waluigi.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure you guys already discussed this topic, but since ARMS speculation is done, I gotta ask

Do you guys think we might get a character who's legacy is mostly tied to the PC Market. I know i brought up League of Legends like a couple of hours ago, but there are other characters like TF2 Classes, Gorden Freeman, Chell, Reimu, Tracer (who can count for both Console and PC honestly), etc

All of the Characters in Smash are known for their Console Endeavors, So getting one that promotes more of a Crossover between Nintendo Platform and PC Platform could be a benefit. I Don't know how big PC Gaming is in Japan, but it's pretty big everywhere else it seems

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure you guys already discussed this topic, but since ARMS speculation is done, I gotta ask

Do you guys think we might get a character who's legacy is mostly tied to the PC Market. I know i brought up League of Legends like a couple of hours ago, but there are other characters like TF2 Classes, Gorden Freeman, Chell, Reimu, Tracer (who can count for both Console and PC honestly), etc

All of the Characters in Smash are known for their Console Endeavors, So getting one that promotes more of a Crossover between Nintendo Platform and PC Platform could be a benefit. I Don't know how big PC Gaming is in Japan, but it's pretty big everywhere else it seems
In that regard, you can't get any bigger than Doom.

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280

I think Steve is the most likely third party, and he's certainly tied to PC gaming.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Can I just say...

I like how Byte was the first character to get demolished. Very fitting.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Can I just say...

I like how Byte was the first character to get demolished. Very fitting.
Smash says ACAB. Not only that, but Byte & Barq are the only spirits on Min Min's Spirit Board to be novice difficulty.

SKX31

Smash Master

It's those you mentioned, Doomguy / Dovachkin (Dovachkin in particular is under-discussed considering Skyrim refuses to die), Steve, StarCraft / WarCraft / Diablo (aka the major Blizzard stable), PUBG / Jonesy, Terraria, even CoD / Battlefield if they can get around the real life weaponry issue, the list goes on really

There's tons of potential options here. Vault Boy represents a primarily computer series, and yes, he's "only" a Mii costume. But that inclusion opens the door in of itself.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Regardless, I doubt it was intentional anyways.

I was thinking a neat way for them to tease an upcoming character and I thought, it would of been awesome if Sakurai did this at the end of the presentation:

“I know I wasn’t going to reveal the next character and I’m not but...here’s a little hint.”

Plays a very quick audio file of the character making a sound.

That would be pretty fun to speculate on; especially if the audio file is pretty generic

Faso115

Smash Lord
I find it silly that you would consider Rex unlikely because the latest game in the series is a remake of the first game.

So what? Suddenly Nintendo would want to add HD Shulk instead of Rex? I don't think so.

Plus, the fact that Elma has any support would clue you in that the latest game protagonist isn't exactly the most popular (Even if Elma is an inferior addition. All Xenoblade characters are inferior compared to the Mighty Riki)

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Now that I think about it, Call of Duty is almost never talked about in terms of Smash bros despite it's influence and size as a franchise. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm asking it for Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I think Doomguy'd be a good Western pick if we're going for historical relevance. If we want something a little more modern, then Steve? or one of the TF2 characters (Or multiple as a Pokemon Trainer type of thing). If the aim is appealing to the other side of the Pacific, Touhou is the go-to for Japan. An LoL rep would appeal to both sides, but only the general audience; If they don't do something big like Joker and Terry, the fandom's gonna flip.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The thing is Fatman is undoubtedly an insider. The only active one on this site in fact (at least openly and in the speculation topics). People are going to take his word on stuff because he DOES know things. He's even spread those things around to fellow Geno fans by his own admission. His "I'm just a speculator" shtick doesn't work when he has access to information that others don't and that's going to give him a veil of legitimacy even if he does end up just falling for a ton of leakbait.

So yeah, I hope if he ends up being wrong, people don't end up taking it out on him, but I can't imagine some sort of resentment not forming, at least among newer people that are looking for any thing they can "confirming" Geno to latch onto.
Fatman is not, nor has he ever been an insider. He WAS part of an insider Discord once, but he was never privy to any actual information. He got fed the table scraps of leaks, stuff that the ACTUAL insiders weren't sure about, but wanted to mention anyway just in case something came of it. And then every time, without fail, he'd turn around and report that "news" like it was gospel.

We're talking about the man who got kicked from Sabi's public server AND the previously mentioned insider Discord for constantly spreading bull****. The man who's said Geno's coming for years now, only to be proven wrong every time and move the goalposts by coming up with some nonsense excuse as to why the plans didn't pan out when he said they would. The man who used Iwata's death to further his reputation as an "insider".

Fatman doesn't know anything more than you or I do, and it's foolish to believe otherwise.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
And yeah I hope no one actually goes against Fatman and blame him if he and others turn out to be wrong; I hope no one ends up acting extremely entitled and angry about anything. I guess I'm also just scared of people in this thread making fun of Fatman/the others of us in the Geno thread, since they did that last year after he got something that turned out to be wrong/nothing (and they blamed him for others over-hyping and mistaking stuff as fact) and they tended to do that almost everytime Fatman was brought up afterwards, with people even saying he's a liar when in reality everything he said before the thing he got wrong was stuff from Sabi and the Nintendo ambassador dude (that they really heard with a few things panning out) and/or was his own theories with him specifying that, and nowadays he of course has confidants that could verify whether he's lying or not.
I mean I'm relatively new her, but I imagine the role of the Geno thread as a secondary general speculation thread alongside having a presumed insider there giving out information unrelated to Geno is going to cause some resentment and people looking for reasons to discredit the whole thing. I personally don't take it too seriously, but I've certainly been annoyed that I have to go into the thread of a character I don't care about to find out stuff that is relevant to me like "Dante and Sol Badguy's names have been heard" or "Nintendo has 4 AMAZING secret things coming this year that I'll reveal to a few of you because I love the Geno community so much and no one else on this site". Maybe that's a bit hyperbolic, but you get what I'm saying. I like Fatman and find his theories interesting and nothing justifies the treatment he's gotten, but I don't think it would be controversial to say that the outside perception of the Geno community on these boards would be a lot more positive without him. Maybe I'm wrong though and the Geno community was just as hated before he became an "insider". I certainly wasn't around for K rool and Ridley's community getting hate.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I would have Put in Doomguy, but I'm one of those people that don't have too much Enthusiasm for him after that Interview, along with the Vault boy Mii Costume

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Fatman is not, nor has he ever been an insider. He WAS part of an insider Discord once, but he was never privy to any actual information. He got fed the table scraps of leaks, stuff that the ACTUAL insiders weren't sure about, but wanted to mention anyway just in case something came of it. And then every time, without fail, he'd turn around and report that "news" like it was gospel.

We're talking about the man who got kicked from Sabi's public server AND the previously mentioned insider Discord for constantly spreading bull****. The man who's said Geno's coming for years now, only to be proven wrong every time and move the goalposts by coming up with some nonsense excuse as to why the plans didn't pan out when he said they would. The man who used Iwata's death to further his reputation as an "insider".

Fatman doesn't know anything more than you or I do, and it's foolish to believe otherwise.
Hasn't he said that after getting kicked from Sabi's discord that he suddenly got 4 more insider sources or whatever?

I didn't know about that Iwata stuff. That's honestly reprehensible. I'm glad I know now and hope you're 100% right about that other insider stuff, because I'd love to have no reason to visit that thread. Even if he does have insider information, that Iwata thing is a bridge too far for me. Not entertaining him or his theories any further.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom