• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Real talk, I'm stunned Tekken is dead.

Like...Tales really is the only Namco franchise left that'd make sense other than Dark Souls, lol.

Hardcore calling Lloyd for this pass. His costume is still MIA while Heihachi's was specifically brought back; if Namco gets a character, I'd be shocked if it were anyone else at this point. Maybe Yuri if they want to go with a more modern fan favorite.
Katamari Damacy
Soul Calibur
IdolM@ster

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Of course, but there's still Geno.
And Nintendo chose the DLC characters here. Question to the others here, be honest: What are the odds of Square Enix picking a character of their own that is not Geno? I'd like to hear your thoughts, guys.

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
As I said, there's no guarantee that Square Enix would pick him, and there's also the issue of him being a Smash 4 Mii Fighter costume.
-No one said there was a guarantee. You don't have to point out the obvious as if Geno is dead in the water.

-Square Enix isn't choosing here, Nintendo is, and Geno has factors that could cause them to choose him too; and there's nothing saying Square Enix would deny them to use Geno.

-The Smash 4 costume is a nonissue, it's only possible it's brought back without him as a fighter. King K. Rool and Isabelle were also costumes in Smash 4. If anything, it just helps him since it shows he got something before, something with fanfare; it not existing would honestly be worse for him.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is the do or die moment for Geno and his fan base. Geno directly benefits from literally all of Ultimate's circumstances in terms of his chances to get in with the inclusions of multiple major Square Enix characters already, a game distinctly built around the Smash Ballot as a framing device for its core ideas in many ways, a Director that personally likes Geno, and having become just enough of a cultural zeitgeist to keep him in conversations...

But post Ultimate? When another game might be 5 years or more off from the end of Volume 2, cuts are reintroduced to the situation possibly resulting in former Square Enix veterans being more heavily requested if Square Enix is even involved at all, and Sakurai possibly isn't the on in the director's chair? That I really doubt being conducive to him being able to survive as a popular pick.

And that goes without mentioning I feel like many of my fellow Geno fans haven't really done the character any favors for growing the fan base in the following years or even really retaining what it was at the peak of Smash Ultimate speculation, so I expect any future support he has will be whoever can still muster the energy to care next decade as he continues to also never show up. Waluigi will keep being a meme machine in Mario spinoffs and possibly even eventually end up in some sort of more significant starring role, but Geno isn't going to be as lucky.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Quick correction: Nope, Tencent does not own SNK. SNK's owners are a joint venture between LeYou (Owners of Digitial Extreme, aka WarFrame) through LeYou's subsidiary Ledo Millenium, Orient Securities (a regional bank based in Shanghai) and mobile game producer 37 Games,

There was talk off a Tencent-backed company (iDreamSky) buying Leyou, but I have no clue if that went through.
Okay Thanks, I just remember talk of SNK being owned by Tencent specfically, or at least i thought i remembered it.

Now seeing you say this, Is SNK being in Smash also the reason Warframe has a spirit, due to the Joint venture and stuff, and how long ago were those talks

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay Thanks, I just remember talk of SNK being owned by Tencent specfically, or at least i thought i remembered it.

Now seeing you say this, Is SNK being in Smash also the reason Warframe has a spirit, due to the Joint venture and stuff, and how long ago were those talks
We have no clue how long ago any talks were and as seen with Kunio, Nintendo can just get a random company uninvolved with Smash on the line for Spirits

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Too many pages, too many pages :eek:
While I've always liked Jin more than Heihachi or Kazuya, I don't think this is very likely. If next character was Jin or Kazuya, I'd guess Heihachi's Costume would return with them.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, even alluded to it in this post. I'm just using the moment to create some awareness for these two characters because, honestly, sometimes I feel like most people here know nothing about Tekken and only constantly namedrop heihachi without acknowledging two characters who are just as important to Tekken - the OG protagonist turned villain Kazuya Mishima, and the "new" and longest running protagonist Jin Kazama - because Sakurai mentioned him half a decade ago. With recent crossovers (like the one with KOF) showing more focus on other characters, I think we should at least entertain the possibility of the Tekken rep in Smash being someone other than heihachi, especially Jin.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It makes sense for a character-based fighting game like ARMS where most characters are of equal importance
Not really. Other fighting games don't have much of a problem identifying their protagonists.

The definition has moved. In fact, it has become more vague.
One person using a term wrong doesn't mean the definition has changed. The director of ARMS doesn't know wtf a protagonist is. The universe doesn't rearrange itself to align with his ignorance.

For instance, if we got someone from Bravely Default, the new definition of main protagonist would now include Ringabel, even though we would otherwise assume our options would be Tiz, Agnes, or Edea.
Which is exactly why it's wrong. The protagonist of Bravely Default is Tiz. Yew is the protagonist of Bravely Second.

The other point is that if we do away with the protagonist label entirely, then means of discussion will be lost.
But the point is, we don't even need it anymore. Because it was never a real rule to begin with. A non-protag/mascot being the first character from a series wasn't a rule, it was just a thing that hadn't happened yet. And now that it has, there's no reason for people to keep arguing protagonist status when it comes to characters getting picked.

It's a part of discussion that SHOULD be lost, because it was always incorrect and always in fan's heads to begin with.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And Nintendo chose the DLC characters here. Question to the others here, be honest: What are the odds of Square Enix picking a character of their own that is not Geno? I'd like to hear your thoughts, guys.
What are the odds that Square-Enix would rather include a character they actually consistently use over one they have no personal utility for and very possibly will never show up in a (non-Smash) game again? Quite high. Quite, quite high.

But, as said, it isn't up to them. They don't pick the characters. It's up to Nintendo. And the odds that Square would say no, in comparison, don't seem nearly as high. Were the price right, of course.

But then you have to ask whether Nintendo would ask. So far the answer has, ostensibly, been no.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Nintendo let's SE pick the next character, they're almost guaranteed to choose a franchise that they have an actual investment in, not SMRPG.

Nintendo and/or Sakurai will have to be the ones who stick their head out for Geno, and sadly, Sakurai didn't do that in this game. It's all up to Nintendo now, and I feel like they're more likely to prefer the same games that SE would want.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There are a bunch of characters that Square owns that both Nintendo and Square are more likely to pick.
Of course.

I do fear that the guy, Fatmanonice (I would @ him, but I don't want to bring this thread to his attention), is overhyping Geno with these theories. I mean, what if they are wrong, or there is something he doesn't know about at least correctly? I fear his overhyping would lead to most Geno fans getting upset if Geno does not make it in, and lead to something like a downfall. I do think that Fatmanonice's possible overhyping is something that causes others to attack him and threaten him. Not that those people are better, for they are not when they do this, and his overhyping is not the only reason for why that happens, of course, but I think that is a possible one reason. Either way, whether intentionally or not leading Geno fans into believing he will be in (not the only factor as to why Geno fans may believe he may be in, by the way), he could tone it down, in my opinion, to make it so that he doesn't lead people into believing something that may not come true.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

SKX31

Smash Master

It's okay, those companies I mentioned are not mentioned almost at all on Western forums. By contrast, Tencent's apps grew so big they became the bedrock of Chinese society (notably WeChat, their Skype-that-can-do-everything, oh it also practically doubles as China's ID system for extra Orwellian points) - the company's also an aggressive buyer. It's an understandable mistake when Tencent's as big as Facebook.

It wouldn't surprise me if Terry opened the door for Lotus / Natah (Warframe's Spirit), and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Terry opened the door for Tencent. Tencent's also been very friendly towards SNK (developing several mobile games for them - just as Tencent develop / maintain a Street Fighter mobile game and a Contra mobile game).

Again, as Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said, we have no real clue how long ago any talks were. So I can't in good faith place my bets on when character / spirit talks would happen. I wouldn't be surprised if one thing lead to another, but we can't say for sure. The earliest date I can give for Tencent is November 2018, when Nintendo submitted the first copyrights for the Switch in China (and Nintendo announced the Chinese Switch together with Tencent in April 2019, with a public reveal August 2019 and a December release).

Could Terry have opened the door for say LoL? Yes, but that's conjecture with no solid evidence yet.

Too many pages, too many pages :eek:

Yeah, I'm aware of that, even alluded to it in this post. I'm just using the moment to create some awareness for these two characters because, honestly, sometimes I feel like most people here know nothing about Tekken and only constantly namedrop heihachi without acknowledging two characters who are just as important to Tekken - the OG protagonist turned villain Kazuya Mishima, and the "new" and longest running protagonist Jin Kazama - because Sakurai mentioned him half a decade ago. With recent crossovers (like the one with KOF) showing more focus on other characters, I think we should at least entertain the possibility of the Tekken rep in Smash being someone other than heihachi, especially Jin.
Yeah, I also believe that Jin / Kazuya (and other Tekken characters) should get some more awareness or even discussion, especially now when Heihachi's been costume'd. Kinda found them a bit more intriguing than Heihachi TBF. I do love Heihachi's mannerisms personally, but Jin / Kazuya do have the Devil Gene and thus more moveset potential etc.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If Nintendo let's SE pick the next character, they're almost guaranteed to choose a franchise that they have an actual investment in, not SMRPG.

Nintendo and/or Sakurai will have to be the ones who stick their head out for Geno, and sadly, Sakurai didn't do in this game. It's all up to Nintendo now, and I feel like they're more likely to prefer the same games that SE would want.
Yeah. You're right. Nintendo are the ones picking the DLC characters, and it shows by who they picked.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
People have identified the exact couch that Sakurai owns.

This isn't relevant to anything, just figured I'd point it out. It doesn't take long for this fandom to find anything out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Of course.

I do fear that the guy, Fatmanonice (I would @ him, but I don't want to bring this thread to his attention), is overhyping Geno with these theories. I mean, what if they are wrong, or there is something he doesn't know about at least correctly? I fear his overhyping would lead to most Geno fans getting upset if Geno does not make it in, and lead to something like a downfall. I do think that Fatmanonice's possible overhyping is something that causes others to attack him and threaten him. Not that those people are better, for they are not when they do this, and his overhyping is not the only reason for why that happens, of course, but I think that is a possible one reason. Either way, whether intentionally or not leading Geno fans into believing he will be in (not the only factor as to why Geno fans may believe he may be in, by the way), he could tone it down, in my opinion, to make it so that he doesn't lead people into believing something that may not come true.

Just needed to get that off my chest.
You'd think after being told that the character was on the precipice of inclusion for so long only to get no sign from Nintendo that that was actually the case, people would start to question the theories that posit Geno as an imminent inevitability, and those who peddle them.

Fatman is biased and will always make it seem like Geno is just around the corner, but you've got to keep in mind that not only is that song and dance nothing new, but the things people celebrate like spirit upgrades and K. Rool's inclusion were not the true roadblocks keeping him out.

The issue is Geno as a character. He's a supporting character from one spin-off a long time ago, owned by someone other than Nintendo. You have to realize that that inherently puts Geno, or any character in that position, at an incredible disadvantage. And you've also got to remember that people who really care only make up part of one portion of a sliver of the total fanbase. Perspective gets distorted. He's not comparable to K. Rool, or Hero or Cloud, or any other character people equate him to.

I mean, imagine someone said "they should add Todd Snap" (from Pokemon Snap, pretend he made his debut there for the sake of the argument). And then pretend that Konami owned Todd Snap. Even if a lot of people started echoing that desire, would it really be that strange for Nintendo to never put him at the top of their list? Would it be strange when they went to Konami for characters other than him?

Fwiw, Geno's popularity is his saving grace, and the only thing that keeps him on the table at all. But a character in his position is never really obviously imminent. A character like that will always just be lucky to get in at all, because despite how it looks inside the bubble, it's a minute contingent concerned with, maybe even aware of the character. And you can't measure that character by what happens to those in much less unorthodox situations. So when someone says that he's an inevitability, you've really got to question that.

A possibility, sure. An inevitability? Well people have been saying that for a long time, and he's been popular for a long time, and there have been ample opportunities to add him, and all the parties are in play... so... where is he?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
there's also the issue of him being a Smash 4 Mii Fighter costume.
I'm not sure if that, on its own, is a reason to say that he won't be included, considering that half of the unique newcomers in the base game were also Smash 4 DLC Mii costumes.

With Square-Enix, I get that - there are plenty of possible alternatives (Lara Croft and 2B seem to stand out), though none of them seem to have that sheer demand. Obviously, they're not going to prioritize Geno over their two flagship franchises (that would be like putting in any Sega character before Sonic, or any Namco-Bandai character before Pac-Man), but with both of them in the game after the first Fighters Pass, and spirits confirmed to not be a barrier, I figure his chances have gone up.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I've come to make an announcement.

Rayman

That is all.
One thing I'm willing to bet is that we are going to get at the very least 1 more western character in season 2.

Who it is ? I don't know.

But it seems like a sure thing after what Sakurai said about wanting to get involved with more western gaming/characters when Banjo-Kazooie got in, I mean "Most" of Japan's biggest gaming icons are already in Smash, So there isn't too much major "Star Power" left out there, That is if they wanna go with a big name.

But in terms of "Western" and "Platforming" category Crash Bandicoot and Rayman are the 2 safest bets in my opinion, Both would fit in very well and seem built for Smash like most platforming all-stars/icons.

I would be cool with Rayman and I'm somewhat rooting for him maybe will even pick up "Legends" for Switch if he makes it in, But Crash Bandicoot is "Currently" my most wanted and with his next big mainline game coming this fall and a character capable of pleasing both East and West, He seems primed for Smash, But I love myself "Most" platformer characters so hopefully both can make it in the Smash roster.

Master Chief is another "Dark Horse" candidate seeing how Microsoft is already involved regarding Smash and could be a good way for cross promotion for the launch of Halo: Infinte and Xbox Series X, Definitely a big name I would love to see throw hands with Mario in Smash.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
It could also be a case of justifying putting the work in to make Geno happen. We're getting a fighter, a stage, multiple music tracks, and spirits whenever we buy a challenger pack. Why put in all that work for a character that appeared in one game and might only get a few profits, when you can instead spend it on a more lucrative character and be guaranteed your money back and then some. I see Geno more as a bonus character, like piranha plant.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not sure if that, on its own, is a reason to say that he won't be included, considering that half of the unique newcomers in the base game were also Smash 4 DLC Mii costumes.

With Square-Enix, I get that - there are plenty of possible alternatives (Lara Croft and 2B seem to stand out), though none of them seem to have that sheer demand.
I think people should still be wary though. I saw a lot of people yesterday chalk up Heihachi as a huge victory for Lloyd and Geno, even though we still have five more fighter bundles.

With the exception of Hero who received nothing but SE costumes, every bundle thus far has had a returning Mii costume. I see Heihachi as more of a red flag than a promise of good things to come.

7NATOR

Smash Master
It's okay, those companies I mentioned are not mentioned almost at all on Western forums. By contrast, Tencent's apps grew so big they became the bedrock of Chinese society (notably WeChat, their Skype-that-can-do-everything, oh it also practically doubles as China's ID system for extra Orwellian points) - the company's also an aggressive buyer. It's an understandable mistake when Tencent's as big as Facebook.

It wouldn't surprise me if Terry opened the door for Lotus / Natah (Warframe's Spirit), and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Terry opened the door for Tencent. Tencent's also been very friendly towards SNK (developing several mobile games for them - just as Tencent develop / maintain a Street Fighter mobile game and a Contra mobile game).

Again, as Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said, we have no real clue how long ago any talks were. So I can't in good faith place my bets on when character / spirit talks would happen. I wouldn't be surprised if one thing lead to another, but we can't say for sure. The earliest date I can give for Tencent is November 2018, when Nintendo submitted the first copyrights for the Switch in China (and Nintendo announced the Chinese Switch together with Tencent in April 2019, with a public reveal August 2019 and a December release).

Could Terry have opened the door for say LoL? Yes, but that's conjecture with no solid evidence yet.

Yeah, I also believe that Jin / Kazuya (and other Tekken characters) should get some more awareness or even discussion, especially now when Heihachi's been costume'd. Kinda found them a bit more intriguing than Heihachi TBF. I do love Heihachi's mannerisms personally, but Jin / Kazuya do have the Devil Gene and thus more moveset potential etc.
Oh i meant talks for a Subsidary of Tencent buying the company that owns SNK. Like were they just old rumors that just disappeared from the limelight?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It could also be a case of justifying putting the work in to make Geno happen. We're getting a fighter, a stage, multiple music tracks, and spirits whenever we buy a challenger pack. Why put in all that work for a character that appeared in one game and might only get a few profits, when you can instead spend it on a more lucrative character and be guaranteed your money back and then some. I see Geno more as a bonus character, like piranha plant.
The problem is that nobody knows how profitable any of this is - we don't know how many people have already bought Fighters Pass 2 as soon as it released, or after Min Min was announced (meaning that, no matter who gets revealed, those people would have already paid for the characters regardless), and it's not like we know how much the individual Mii costumes in Smash 4 sold. (which might make a difference depending on how many of certain Mii costumes sold or how that information was interpreted)

Appearing in one game isn't a barrier - plenty of characters on the roster, from Ness to Byleth (not counting Smash Bros. appearances), fit that description. There's plenty of material for stages, spirits, and music when it comes to Super Mario RPG, so that definitely wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I think people should still be wary though. I saw a lot of people yesterday chalk up Heihachi as a huge victory for Lloyd and Geno, even though we still have five more fighter bundles.

With the exception of Hero who received nothing but SE costumes, every bundle thus far has had a returning Mii costume. I see Heihachi as more of a red flag than a promise of good things to come.
I don't really see how Heihachi's Mii costume returning is supposed to be a win for Geno, when it returning shows that Smash 4 Mii costumes are now possible to return for FP2. >_>

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't really see how Heihachi's Mii costume returning is supposed to be a win for Geno, when it returning shows that Smash 4 Mii costumes are now possible to return for FP2. >_>
Yeah. If anything, it actually hurt his chances.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Higher then you think because of the sheer number of characters they can choose from. Sora, Lara Croft, Sephiroth, Tifa are just a few that come to mind and all 4 of them are more relevant then Geno due to receiving games big games, all of which became hits.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Yeah, the "why would they wait so long just to crush our hopes?" argument is out the window now. And like Geno, Heihachi is a character Sakurai has spoked positively about in the past and has flat out tried to get him in the game.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, the "why would they wait so long just to crush our hopes?" argument is out the window now. And like Geno, Heihachi is a character Sakurai has spoked positively about in the past.
Especially considering that a lot of fan favorites weren't shown as ATs until the last showcase.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah, the "why would they wait so long just to crush our hopes?" argument is out the window now. And like Geno, Heihachi is a character Sakurai has spoked positively about in the past.
Isaac being shown off as an AT during the last Smash direct for Ultimate's base game destroyed that argument close to 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Not really. Other fighting games don't have much of a problem identifying their protagonists.

One person using a term wrong doesn't mean the definition has changed. The director of ARMS doesn't know wtf a protagonist is. The universe doesn't rearrange itself to align with his ignorance.

Which is exactly why it's wrong. The protagonist of Bravely Default is Tiz. Yew is the protagonist of Bravely Second.

But the point is, we don't even need it anymore. Because it was never a real rule to begin with. A non-protag/mascot being the first character from a series wasn't a rule, it was just a thing that hadn't happened yet. And now that it has, there's no reason for people to keep arguing protagonist status when it comes to characters getting picked.

It's a part of discussion that SHOULD be lost, because it was always incorrect and always in fan's heads to begin with.
I should reiterate that when I said the definition changed, I meant specifically in terms of the so-called rule. The dictionary didn't change because of this thing, however any attempt to keep the rule intact does change the definition of the rule. I just wanted to share what the main sticking point seemed to be because people have been arguing in circles without addressing the preconceptions lying underneath.

You don't have to agree with the rule sticking around in discussion. I'm not sure I do, at least in the form it's taken (I'd much rather we talk about it as a factor instead of the line in the sand). The real question is about what is possible, what is likely, and how to talk about those things. I don't think the what is the problem as much as the how. Some people want to use familiar terminology in a broader way while others want to get rid of it and talk about things in a new way to retain clarity.

In the whole protagonist argument nobody's even arguing about who is possible. It's just how to talk about who's possible. I think if we realize that, it will be easier to come to an understanding, even if we don't come to a consensus.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Mii costume characters are funny cause it’s proven that they can be upgraded to fully playable, but they can also just return as costumes seemingly at random.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You'd think after being told that the character was on the precipice of inclusion for so long only to get no sign from Nintendo that that was actually the case, people would start to question the theories that posit Geno as an imminent inevitability, and those who peddle them.

Fatman is biased and will always make it seem like Geno is just around the corner, but you've got to keep in mind that not only is that song and dance nothing new, but the things people celebrate like spirit upgrades and K. Rool's inclusion were not the true roadblocks keeping him out.

The issue is Geno as a character. He's a supporting character from one spin-off a long time ago, owned by someone other than Nintendo. You have to realize that that inherently puts Geno, or any character in that position, at an incredible disadvantage. And you've also got to remember that people who really care only make up part of one portion of a sliver of the total fanbase. Perspective gets distorted. He's not comparable to K. Rool, or Hero or Cloud, or any other character people equate him to.

I mean, imagine someone said "they should add Todd Snap" (from Pokemon Snap, pretend he made his debut there for the sake of the argument). And then pretend that Konami owned Todd Snap. Even if a lot of people started echoing that desire, would it really be that strange for Nintendo to never put him at the top of their list? Would it be strange when they went to Konami for characters other than him?

Fwiw, Geno's popularity is his saving grace, and the only thing that keeps him on the table at all. But a character in his position is never really obviously imminent. A character like that will always just be lucky to get in at all, because despite how it looks inside the bubble, it's a minute contingent concerned with, maybe even aware of the character. And you can't measure that character by what happens to those in much less unorthodox situations. So when someone says that he's an inevitability, you've really got to question that.

A possibility, sure. An inevitability? Well people have been saying that for a long time, and he's been popular for a long time, and there have been ample opportunities to add him, and all the parties are in play... so... where is he?
Personally, I wouldn’s say he is that much in an incredible disadvantage, but still an incredible disadvantage, nonetheless. These fans are gullible for anything, if you ask me.

Another question is profitability. Sure, there is demand for him, but Geno is still obscure as heck. Would he be worth it? Would he sell much aside from fans?

I also have reason to believe Nintendo has little interest in choosing Geno as a DLC character. Now, this may be different with Sakurai. Either way, Geno has his disadvantages, still.

I just wish my fellow Geno fans would realize this and see past Fatmanonice’s overhyping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom