• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's exasperating watching both sides trying to strawman the other into the most extremist position possible.

Yes, I understand it depends on the game. OBVIOUSLY. My point is that being the mascot/main character/protagonist whatever you wanna call it is just a factor and not a hard rule. How important of a factor is up to debate. But now it's something that has happened once, so it MIGHT happen again in the future (it MIGHT also not happen).
It’s not really an extreme position when every single franchise that gets an inaugural character in Smash has started with a protagonist or mascot.

It’s measurable. It’s based on the game we’re talking about. Call it extreme, but it’s based on an objective measurement.

If I had substantial reasoning to believe that a new franchise will be represented by a non-protagonist or mascot I am willing to hear it out, but I have yet to see reason to believe otherwise.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not sure if it really was a delay as much as it was Min Min's gimmicks. A fighter like that definitely couldn't have been made within the same timespan as Joker. Maybe Hero's timespan.
This is the only explanation I can see happening, weapon switching doesn't seem too bad but a brand new control scheme that deviates from any other character? Yeah no way that bit was easy, Sakurai also expressed having difficulty with balancing an ARM character back in March, and more competitive players think her weaknesses are being exaggerated based on the admittedly outdated footage we saw

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if it really was a delay as much as it was Min Min's gimmicks. A fighter like that definitely couldn't have been made within the same timespan as Joker. Maybe Hero's timespan.
True, though I doubt Covid-19 forcing the developers to work from home helped.

Regardless, I think the long wait leading up to Min Min's reveal gave the team enough time to get Fighter 7 ready enough for another reveal not long after.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I kinda wonder, had COVID-19 not been an thing that Crash would had been already our double reveal for E3 to coincide with the new game but given the virus, this obviously delayed him to September.

My current prediction who fighter 77 is.
What brings the theory that crash is doc character 7?

Besides advertising crash 4

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
3. Speaking of Heihachi, What's the status of a Fighting game character in this Pass? Arc systems has Kunio-Kun as Spirit but has not yet acknowledged Guilty Gear or Blazblue, their 2 biggest franchise. Do you think if Characters like Ragna and Sol were mii Costumes they would be put here? Could they also be represented in a pack of another 2D fighting game character, like Scorpion
Well I think Tekken had the best shot. Now I suppose it'd be something by ASW, but I wouldn't give those IPs more than a dark horse's shot. So overall another fighting game character seems less than likely. Unless I'm blanking on some huge (Japanese) franchise. Or they add another SF character.
This is how Melty Blood can still win

D

Deleted member

Who would be the potential Bandai Namco rep now since Heihachi's mii costume is back?

I feel like Lloyd is the most likely now but I can see the rep being from another franchise instead.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Smashboards will have a fit if they ever watched a French artisy movie, Heavy Metal, or any cartoon vartity show, and gets mad that character that was on the poster wasn't the main character

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Who would be the potential Bandai Namco rep now since Heihachi's mii costume is back?

I feel like Lloyd is the most likely now but I can see the rep being from another franchise instead.
Lloyd, a Souls character, or maybe a Soulcalibur character would probably be the next in line considering how big all of those series tend to be internationally.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Hard to say. We could get Lloyd, Agumon, Nightmare from Soul Calibur, KOS-MOS from Xenosaga (she did appear in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, oddly enough), another Tekken character like Jin (not overly familiar with Tekken, but he seems like one of the front-runners)...

Namco-Bandai has a bunch of characters, but I'm not sure which ones (if any) have a huge fan following that would make them stand out.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Everyone's been saying Min Min was planned for before June, but the presentation says that it was recorded in May, and we can assume that the recording equipment delivered to Sakurai was at least a month before hand. In short, it doesn't seem likely it was planned for before April.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Alright here's my take. Criticism is welcome.

Challenger Pack 7: Crash Bandicoot (Playstation Icon, new game to shill, popular request, E3 hype pick)

Challenger Pack 8: Rex (Popular request, almost guaranteed lock after Sakurai acknowledged that he would have made the base roster if XC2 came out during development)

Challenger Pack 9: Bandana Waddle Dee (Popular request, base roster and FP1 was chosen in 2016 during development and BWD's popularity and established role in the franchise have only increased with Battle Royale and Star Allies, Waddle Dees are iconic in Japan and BWD is the in-game representation of their prominence)

Challenger Pack 10: Doomguy (Bethesda icon, popular request, Bethesda talked with Nintendo a few years back, Vault Boy Mii Costume got in)

Challenger Pack 11: Lloyd Irving (Some-what popular request, niche pick, Bamco rep)

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

Challenger Pack 7: Crash Bandicoot (Playstation Icon, new game to shill, popular request, E3 hype pick)

Challenger Pack 8: Rex (Popular request, almost guaranteed lock after Sakurai acknowledged that he would have made the base roster if XC2 came out during development)

Challenger Pack 9: Bandana Waddle Dee (Popular request, base roster and FP1 was chosen in 2016 during development and BWD's popularity and established role in the franchise have only increased with Battle Royale and Star Allies, Waddle Dees are iconic in Japan and BWD is the in-game representation of their prominence)

Challenger Pack 10: Doomguy (Bethesda icon, popular request, Bethesda talked with Nintendo a few years back, Vault Boy Mii Costume got in)

Challenger Pack 11: Lloyd Irving (Some-what popular request, niche pick, Bamco rep)
This actually seems pretty nice. Would actually be pretty happy with this, though it makes more sense in my opinion for Lloyd and Doom Guy to be swapped. Minor nitpick aside, this is great.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The Assassin’s Creed & Fallout costumes make me think that Sakurai really does intend to make this the biggest gaming crossover ever, even if that’s not solely through playable characters.

What are some franchises you guys don’t want to see get a playable character, but would like to see represented through Mii costumes or spirits?

For me, I’d like to see Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, League of Legends & Gears of War. I don’t think those series would fit into Smash’s playable roster, but it’d be fun to see them join the crossover anyway.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Doomguy is hard deconfirmed.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Given how all the Smash 4 Mii costumes that didn’t become playable in base Ultimate (:ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultchrom::ultinkling:) are returning as is, I think Lloyd’s costume will return. We could get a DIFFERENT Tales character like Velvet Crowe or Yuri Lowell, or someone from a different series like Nightmare, Chosen Undead, or even KOS-MOS, leakbait ****storm from last December be damned

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Besides Lloyd, it could also be any one of these...
  • A character from Dark Souls (most likely the Chosen Undead, or possibly Solaire or Artorias)
  • A character from Soulcalibur (most likely Nightmare)
  • KOS-MOS from Xenosaga
  • Agumon from Digimon
  • Dig Dug
  • A Tekken character besides Heihachi (most likely Kazuya or Jin)
  • A Tales character besides Lloyd (most likely Yuri Lowell)

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
My only question is if there was supposed to be another character revealed in June, and FP7’s announcement may not be that far out for an eventual Fall release, how could they announce it? A Mini Direct, just put on Twitter, etc. I don’t expect the former, and the latter feels very un-Smash like. Worst case scenario we hear nothing until a Fall Direct. Does make me curious how the rest of the pass unfolds.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
My only question is if there was supposed to be another character revealed in June, and FP7’s announcement may not be that far out for an eventual Fall release, how could they announce it? A Mini Direct, just put on Twitter, etc. I don’t expect the former, and the latter feels very un-Smash like. Worst case scenario we hear nothing until a Fall Direct. Does make me curious how the rest of the pass unfolds.
Some are holding out hope for the Pokemon showcase tomorrow, as they said something big was being announced, many are figuring it could be a Smash announcement during it. Personally, I don't think it likely, but it is plausible.

I.D.

Smash Lord
It’s not really an extreme position when every single franchise that gets an inaugural character in Smash has started with a protagonist or mascot.

It’s measurable. It’s based on the game we’re talking about. Call it extreme, but it’s based on an objective measurement.

If I had substantial reasoning to believe that a new franchise will be represented by a non-protagonist or mascot I am willing to hear it out, but I have yet to see reason to believe otherwise.
Look at this:
If “being the protagonist” didn’t matter, then why did Sakurai mention it at all?
You are obviously trying to portray anyone who disagrees as saying "Being a protagonist is 100% irrelevant, every single character is equally likely". When most are just saying "It happened once, it can happen again".

Frankly I think your own biases are clouding your judgment a bit. And other people's judgment as well. Let's recap the ARMS speculation for these past 3 months, to simplify things a bit there have been two major groups:

1. The rep will be Springman or Springman with other characters as alts. This is because Springman is clearly the protagonist or mascot of ARMS and logic dictates that he will always get first before anyone else. Since this logic has always held true in the past there is no possible way it can be anyone else, and people who argue otherwise don't really have an argument that can overcome this.

2. The rep will be someone other than Springman and also an individual character. This is because Nintendo has intentionally started a guessing game and there are plenty of circumstances that could lead to someone other than the protagonist or mascot being the chosen character for the first time, the stars are aligning for it to happen so to speak. Opinions on who the character would be were quite varied but I think it's fair to say the majority went with Min Min, myself included.

You have firmly belonged in the first group for this entire speculation period, making a lot of posts about why you thought Springman was the choice, because of the protagonist or mascot first reasoning. You only buckled from this position very slightly a few days before the presentation, when insiders started teasing Min Min.

The presentation arrives and the first group was wrong, while the second group was right. Oh but what is this? Wait a minute... Sakurai said that ALL ARMS characters are a protagonist! This means, in spite of everything, the first group was RIGHT despite getting the character wrong, while the second group was WRONG despite getting the character right. You've all just made a 180º and took a position that none of you would have ever considered just a week ago (Someone other than Springman? Ridiculous. He's the ONE AND ONLY protagonist!) just so you can continue being in the right and the "detractors" being in the wrong.

Well, I'm not swallowing it. Min Min has been clearly not treated the same as Springman for the past 3 years by the ARMS team, Nintendo, and even Sakurai himself (Springman got assist trophy, mii costume and spirit in the base game, Min Min only got a spirit). All of that is more important than a single throwaway line. To me this clearly proves the "Protagonist or mascot first" is in fact, not a rule. Just a factor. A very important factor for sure, but still just a factor. And even if you insist on labelling it as a rule, it's a rule that can be trivially bypassed, as Mr. Yabuki just demonstrated.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The Assassin’s Creed & Fallout costumes make me think that Sakurai really does intend to make this the biggest gaming crossover ever, even if that’s not solely through playable characters.

What are some franchises you guys don’t want to see get a playable character, but would like to see represented through Mii costumes or spirits?

For me, I’d like to see Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, League of Legends & Gears of War. I don’t think those series would fit into Smash’s playable roster, but it’d be fun to see them join the crossover anyway.
I've seen Freddy Fazbear recommended as a potential Mii Fighter costume, and I'd love it just for the ****ed up implications of shoving a Mii into a Freddy suit.

Also, since I've currently got Saints Row on my mind, give me this guy as a costume...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think Scorpion and Sub-Zero could get mii costumes down the line. I’d prefer them to be playable though.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Some are holding out hope for the Pokemon showcase tomorrow, as they said something big was being announced, many are figuring it could be a Smash announcement during it. Personally, I don't think it likely, but it is plausible.
I agree. While that would make sense (particularly if that 4chan rumor is true, though lots of doubts), Pokémon tends to do it’s own thing, and there’s more than enough potential content to fill it. The rumored tencent game, Gen 4 remaster or Let’s Go 2, Pokémon Sleep, etc. I’d be surprised by a Smash reveal, but it would make some sense.

D

Deleted member

I like to think Bandai Namco would get another fighter considering they only have 1 fighter and the fact that they're developers of the game, but you never know...

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
It's entirely possible that there was never a character reveal planned for E3. Just like there was no character reveal planned for TGA. Nintendo has repeatedly stated that the second fighter pass will be delivered by the end of 2021, and given that I think they likely plan on using that entire time frame. That's about 3 months per character if it's divided evenly. Double reveals really wouldn't make sense if they are going to use the entire proposed timeline.

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
Stage 3: Bargaining

Legitimately can't wait to see how MinMin spirit is going to change
Whatever they do to it, it still helps spirit upgrades’ possibility, as anything they do to it could be done to another. Either they replace the spirit battle character with the fighter, they replace the entire battle with an unlock match in WoL, they remove the battle entirely, or they literally do nothing but maybe slap their origin game’s title next to their name. All of which just helps other spirit characters.

edit: Also I’m thinking ATs really don’t matter. even if none get in for this FP; Spring Man could’ve been considered before Yabuki said Min Min based on what Sakurai said to us about Spring Man and protagonists (Yabuki telling him they’re all the protagonists), and about 3/4ths of the AT roster is disabled on at least one stage, some being disabled on a handful of stages. This includes ATs such as Waluigi.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Look at this:

You are obviously trying to portray anyone who disagrees as saying "Being a protagonist is 100% irrelevant, every single character is equally likely". When most are just saying "It happened once, it can happen again".

Frankly I think your own biases are clouding your judgment a bit. And other people's judgment as well. Let's recap the ARMS speculation for these past 3 months, to simplify things a bit there have been two major groups:

1. The rep will be Springman or Springman with other characters as alts. This is because Springman is clearly the protagonist or mascot of ARMS and logic dictates that he will always get first before anyone else. Since this logic has always held true in the past there is no possible way it can be anyone else, and people who argue otherwise don't really have an argument that can overcome this.

2. The rep will be someone other than Springman and also an individual character. This is because Nintendo has intentionally started a guessing game and there are plenty of circumstances that could lead to someone other than the protagonist or mascot being the chosen character for the first time, the stars are aligning for it to happen so to speak. Opinions on who the character would be were quite varied but I think it's fair to say the majority went with Min Min, myself included.

You have firmly belonged in the first group for this entire speculation period, making a lot of posts about why you thought Springman was the choice, because of the protagonist or mascot first reasoning. You only buckled from this position very slightly a few days before the presentation, when insiders started teasing Min Min.

The presentation arrives and the first group was wrong, while the second group was right. Oh but what is this? Wait a minute... Sakurai said that ALL ARMS characters are a protagonist! This means, in spite of everything, the first group was RIGHT despite getting the character wrong, while the second group was WRONG despite getting the character right. You've all just made a 180º and took a position that none of you would have ever considered just a week ago (Someone other than Springman? Ridiculous. He's the ONE AND ONLY protagonist!) just so you can continue being in the right and the "detractors" being in the wrong.

Well, I'm not swallowing it. Min Min has been clearly not treated the same as Springman for the past 3 years by the ARMS team, Nintendo, and even Sakurai himself (Springman got assist trophy, mii costume and spirit in the base game, Min Min only got a spirit). All of that is more important than a single throwaway line. To me this clearly proves the "Protagonist or mascot first" is in fact, not a rule. Just a factor. A very important factor for sure, but still just a factor. And even if you insist on labelling it as a rule, it's a rule that can be trivially bypassed, as Mr. Yabuki just demonstrated.
What I believed before Sakurai said that means nothing when Sakurai specifically mentioned protagonists and that Min Min is considered one.

I’m not the one who said Min Min was a protagonist. Sakurai was. Mr. Yabuki was.

I’m not sure if you’re implying I should be ashamed of being wrong, or changing my opinion based on new information, but that’s why people do. They don’t blindly hold onto information when the reality in front of them changes. That’s called being foolish.

Was it logical to assume Spring Man was “the” mascot? I don’t see why not, he was on the cover.

It’s not that Spring Man isn’t a mascot or protagonist, it’s that Min Min is also a protagonist.

Like, I get it that people disagree with me on things and then evidently let it get under their skin such as you are right now. I’m not even trying to do that. You are not the only one to criticize me for “being wrong”. But here’s the thing- I’m not afraid of being wrong, because people are wrong all the time.

All I have been saying is based on actual, measurable, quotable things. That’s it, and that is why people evidently find it compelling.

If I sat here and stuck to a rigid ideology, would people agree with me? No, I heavily doubt that they would. It’s because I adapt what I think to what is in front of me.

Obviously Min Min wasn’t treated the same way as Spring Man because ARMS grew as a title.

Min Min didn’t have a measured popularity at the time of base game and at the time, Spring Man was a logical Assist Trophy pick.

I guess I’ll leave it there because there’s really no reason to get mad about any of it. I don’t give a **** if people disagree, I just think that looking at every series in Smash getting a mascot or protagonist, loophole or not, is substantial to consider.

EDIT: Also, to be fair, while I did think it would be Spring Man I always said it would be Spring Man or Min Min, so to say I only thought it would be Spring Man is not accurate.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's entirely possible that there was never a character reveal planned for E3. Just like there was no character reveal planned for TGA. Nintendo has repeatedly stated that the second fighter pass will be delivered by the end of 2021, and given that I think they likely plan on using that entire time frame. That's about 3 months per character if it's divided evenly. Double reveals really wouldn't make sense if they are going to use the entire proposed timeline.
December 2021 might also be a placeholder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom