• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Also not counting out Ribbon Girl, TBH.

Her multi-jumps would already fit in with Smash gameplay and she's another poster character, so I wouldn't be shocked if the invite goes to her. Wouldn't have to do anything with the SM AT either.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There's a lot of different ways to interpret the tweet, which is why I wouldn't dwell on it.

"The character is Min Min."
"All four are getting in."
"Vote for your favorite character. It increases their chances of getting in."
"I mean, they were present in the trailer. They were technically revealed weren't they?"
Has ZhugeEX even been known to leak Smash information?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
One thing that COULD (key word there: "Could") help Min Min is Sakurai's wording of this fighter being "A special request". Considering Min Min is the ARMS Director's favorite, it is possible that Yabuki himself approached Sakurai and requested her specifically.

Not 100% certain this is the likely scenario, but it is possible in my eyes: I think I remember reading crossover characters appeared in Mario Kart specifically as a request from developers, so anything is possible.
Spring Man is his favorite, then he said Twintelle because the art director already took him. The art director threw in a vote for Min Min as he finds her relatable, showing he likes her a lot, but like Yabuki, Spring Man is his favorite.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Spring Man is his favorite, then he said Twintelle because the art director already took him. The art director threw in a vote for Min Min as he finds her relatable, but Spring Man is his favorite too.
So basically, the popular characters are favorites of one member of the team, but Spring Man is a favorite of both.
I'm still leaning towards Spring Man, on the basis that he's represent the gameplay the best. I know someone could succeed Spring Man as the face of the game, like with Darkstalkers or Samurai Shodown (Though the latter's a bit murky in that regard), but we've only gotten one game, so it's too early to tell.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Spring Man is his favorite, then he said Twintelle because the art director already took him. The art director threw in a vote for Min Min as he finds her relatable, showing he likes her a lot, but like Yabuki, Spring Man is his favorite.
Could go either way, I'll admit.

I'll also admit there's bias in my line of thinking: Just really hoping for Min Min over here, lol. SM is cool, but Min Min is my ARMS main whenever I play, so I'd love to be able to main her in Smash too.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Has ZhugeEX even been known to leak Smash information?
*Checks*

I don't think he's directly leaked stuff, albeit he's voiced his opinion in the past:

I don't think he'll directly leak or anything like that, albeit he might suggest something like Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said. Perhaps a hint if Tencent does get a FP2 character (since he does cover China specifically for Nintendo and other companies as part of his job), but I'm personally not 100 % sure on that.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still fully expect the ARMS character to have standard gloves for a majority of their attacks. ARMS is supposed to be a type of boxing game, meaning that punches are the trademark attack.

That's why I'm hesitant to say it's someone like Min Min alone with no alts. She can only punch with one of her default gloves, and that glove just so happens to be the slowest, most bulky one in the game. Obviously they can give her someone else's gloves, but characters like Spring Man and Ribbon Girl already have the perfect default gloves.

I'm still leaning toward some kind of composite character with Spring Man as the base character. We could get three or four alt characters, or it could just be Ribbon Girl. Hard to say.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It’s entirely possible that it’s not a hint, but the main reason I’m skeptical is because it’s become clear that press kits are available, meaning somebody knows.

If Imran Khan knows, it’s not that crazy to assume others do, Zhuge among them.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's why I'm hesitant to say it's someone like Min Min alone with no alts. She can only punch with one of her default gloves, and that glove just so happens to be the slowest, most bulky one in the game. Obviously they can give her someone else's gloves, but characters like Spring Man and Ribbon Girl already have the perfect default gloves.
She actually has 3:
  1. The Dragon, which fires lasers.
  2. The Ram Ram, which is arcable.
  3. And the Megavolt, which is what you're thinking of.
If they only go with one for the normals, it'd probably be the Ram Ram.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Min-Min would pique my interest if all of her standard tilts and aerials were just kicks, like a reverse Little Mac, while her specials revolved around her ARMS.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Min-Min would pique my interest if all of her standard tilts and aerials were just kicks, like a reverse Little Mac, while her specials revolved around her ARMS.
I wouldn't rage if they picked Min Min over Spring Man, but if most of her attacks were based on her deflect kick of all things, my response would definitely be "thanks, I hate it."

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't know about that. Personally, I'd rather see them stick with the equipment you could fight with in ARMS rather than rely on generic kicks.

The game is called ARMS, so I think it makes sense to create a moveset that's almost exclusive to the springy arms, not the standard and completely ordinary legs.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't know about that. Personally, I'd rather see them stick with the equipment you could fight with in ARMS rather than rely on generic kicks.

The game is called ARMS, so I think it makes sense to create a moveset that's almost exclusive to the springy arms, not the standard and completely ordinary legs.
Also, a character with short legs and arms the length of her body relying almost solely on kicks would be the weirdest looking thing ever.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
You guys should look at this gorgeous SSBU Gordon Freeman render!
I was looking through those render twitter accounts and someone made Scott for some reason
this is awesome, baby.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Fun fact. This is probably true only for the Smash speculation as she didnt win the only popularity contest the ARMS team did for the ARMS game. It ended up being Ninjara, Kid Cobra and SpringMan.
There hasn’t been any actual official popularity poll made for ARMS, though. That being said, the usage rate is the closest we’ve come to something like that.

Regardless, that doesn’t make Ninjara anywhere near as likely as Spring Man or even Ribbon Girl since those two characters are easily the two most promoted ARMS character in general, with the former even having clones and an upcoming graphic novel based off himself. Even in the context of Smash, these two were the only ones to get more that a mere Spirit, with both getting a Mii Costume and Spring Man also being an AT.

Heck, any promotion ARMS got in 2020 had these two at the forefront (In the Smash trailer with all the characters being shown off in a gameplay montage, the screens showing off Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were the biggest) with the first Party Crash after the last one in 2019 focusing on both Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. That’s more prominence than anyone else up to this point.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yesterday: "Yeah, it's probably Spring Man. That backsplash is pretty telling."

Today: "It's probably going to be Min Min. That poll convinced me."

Later today: "Like I've been saying all along, it's gonna be Spring Man."

Midnight: "My gut says Min Min."

Tomorrow at 9:59 AM EST: "Spring Man. Final answer.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yesterday: "Yeah, it's probably Spring Man. That backsplash is pretty telling."

Today: "It's probably going to be Min Min. That poll convinced me."

Later today: "Like I've been saying all along, it's gonna be Spring Man."

Midnight: "My gut says Min Min."

Tomorrow at 9:59 AM EST: "Spring Man. Final answer.
Tomorrow at 10:00 AM EST: Twist: It's both. Hero/Bowser Jr. Situation with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min-Min.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't think Zhuge is pulling a Joseph Joestar by knowing both that Min Min's in and she would win the poll, therefore making his original prediction come true. It's a little too on the nose for someone who has traditionally been pretty subtle when it's come to Smash info. Unless there's another hook, it just doesn't seem like the guy who hinted at Byleth by posting about how "reactions are going to be fun" with a gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn would be the same person to go "Lol you all know it's already Min Min" so blatantly.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I'm a bit curious, since the ARMS presentation is going to be at least 35 minutes long, and we know the next fighter won't be revealed here, what could possibly take up all that time? I have no doubt the fighter themselves will take up a good chunk, but unless they're really complicated like Terry, or Sakurai decides to go into the development history of ARMS, 35 minutes is a lot for what should be a relatively straight forward character. Then again, I could be looking too much into it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think Zhuge is pulling a Joseph Joestar by knowing both that Min Min's in and she would win the poll, therefore making his original prediction come true. It's a little too on the nose for someone who has traditionally been pretty subtle when it's come to Smash info. Unless there's another hook, it just doesn't seem like the guy who hinted at Byleth by posting about how "reactions are going to be fun" with a gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn would be the same person to go "Lol you all know it's already Min Min" so blatantly.
"Next you'll say, 'You rigged this knowing Min Min would win!'"
"You rigged this knowing Min Min would win!"
:smirk:
"...No way...!"

I'm a bit curious, since the ARMS presentation is going to be at least 35 minutes long, and we know the next fighter won't be revealed here, what could possibly take up all that time? I have no doubt the fighter themselves will take up a good chunk, but unless they're really complicated like Terry, or Sakurai decides to go into the development history of ARMS, 35 minutes is a lot for what should be a relatively straight forward character. Then again, I could be looking too much into it.
Mii Costumes, and possibly misc new features (WoL Very Hard Mode? I have a feeling SOMETHING related to WoL will be shown. idk why)

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
25 minutes of nothing but ARMS lore, calling it now

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The ARMS stage could easily have cameos from the other fighters or references ala King of Fighters so that could take up some time. If the dynamics of the character are in any way complex that could also take up some time as well.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
I think that it is awesome that crazy Dave got 14 votes (including one from me). If anyone on here also voted for him like or reply to the post.
Other characters that I voted for
Doomguy
Geno
Waluigi
Master chief?
Digdug?
The question marks is because I can’t remember if I voted for master chief or Steve and then dig dug or maxwell

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The ARMS stage could easily have cameos from the other fighters or references ala King of Fighters so that could take up some time. If the dynamics of the character are in any way complex that could also take up some time as well.
Ooh speaking of. I wonder if they'll give the crowd members paraphernalia that pertains to the current fighters.

Seeing everyone with Pichu and Isabelle hats would be so wholesome.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Ooh speaking of. I wonder if they'll give the crowd members paraphernalia that pertains to the current fighters.

Seeing everyone with Pichu and Isabelle hats would be so wholesome.
Wonder if they could recycle a majority of the Kirby hats for something like this

Probably still take too much work regardless but it'd be cool

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
35 minutes seems kinda standard to me tbh, not only is there the moveset to go through, but there’s the stage, the music, Mii costumes etc, and probably a separate reveal trailer as well. Byleth’s was like 38 minutes or something, so it’s probably going to be in line with that.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
To be honest, he's already not wrong. All of them are already in the game...
As spirits. :yeahboi:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be honest, he's already not wrong. All of them are already in the game...
As spirits. :yeahboi:
Lola Pop, Helix, Max Brass, Byte & Barq, Misango, Master Mummy, Kid Cobra, Mechanica, Springtron and Dr. Coyle aren’t :secretkpop:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, Reimu scoring this high doesn't have anything to do with ZUN declaring that he'd like to see her in Smash, other popular indies being acknowledged via Mii outfits or some of the biggest names in the Smash community like Alpharad, Light or Samsora voicing their support for her. Nope, it was all rigged!
Those aren't people! Stop making up names!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom