• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
It’s so close, everyone. Tomorrow by this time we will know who the ARMS character, and the speculation/discussion will take a turn... Into why the character that was chosen “should’ve been a different ARMS character.”, “Didn’t deserve it over another ARMS character.”, and “Yay! *insert ARMS character you wanted here* got in!”

Rooting for Ribbon Girl or Min Min. Not bothered by Spring Man, just personal hopes it’s one of the aforementioned two.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Yeah, Reimu scoring this high doesn't have anything to do with ZUN declaring that he'd like to see her in Smash, other popular indies being acknowledged via Mii outfits or some of the biggest names in the Smash community like Alpharad, Light or Samsora voicing their support for her. Nope, it was all rigged! :ultpacman:
Is it bad to say I am genuinely not surprised people think the votes were rigged with Reimu so high up in the poll? I know some people blamed botting. Even though IMO, Reimu's big jump shows just how fast demand can happen in the course of a year for a character.

And that's good for just about every character, to be honest. Sol Badguy is another example. Ended up low last year to the point of not making it in the top 50's Source gaming poll to making it in the top 50 this year.

Semi-related note: If both Reimu and Sol Badguy got in Smash, my Switch will end up becoming an oversized MP3 player with the music both of them will bring.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Plot twist: that fake leak of the ARMS character using old concept art... wasn't actually fake. We're literally getting a character named "ARMS".

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yesterday: "Yeah, it's probably Spring Man. That backsplash is pretty telling."

Today: "It's probably going to be Min Min. That poll convinced me."

Later today: "Like I've been saying all along, it's gonna be Spring Man."

Midnight: "My gut says Min Min."

Tomorrow at 9:59 AM EST: "Spring Man. Final answer.
We are getting Spring Girl, the future descendant of Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
First, where is Reimu from? Second, why is she important? Thirdly, why do people want her in Smash?
  1. The Touhou Project, an indie series of shoot 'em ups where little girls fight each other for often nonsensical reasons except for the final boss, where you're trying to save the world.
  2. It's quite a big series for what it is. It's not quite mainstream, but it's got a ton of notoriety on the internet, and references to it can be found pretty much everywhere. :nifty:
  3. *shrugs* I think it'd be cool. I also like the wackiness of pretty much everything within the series. You'll have to ask a true fan of the series to give you a better pitch than that.
Plot twist: that fake leak of the ARMS character using old concept art... wasn't actually fake. We're literally getting a character named "ARMS".
Double Plot Twist: The character isn't named ARMS, the leaker just put that as its nametag just to screw with us.

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
So, we are finally getting that Arms-Character, huh? I think it will be Min-Min (which I wouldn't have a problem with)
but the one im hoping for is Dr. Coyle.

Looking forward to see what Sakurai (and his gang) have planned for us.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My opinion still hasn't changed.

Prediction: Spring Man (Part of me feeling it could be Biff through the Pokemon Trainer route with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Minmin)
Hoping: Minmin

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
We are getting Spring Girl, the future descendant of Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.
Nah. It's gonna be Dr. Spring Ribbon Min Twin Byte Biff Barq Max Pop Master Ninjara Mechanica Cobra Misango Helix Springtron.

And Knuckles. Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

(I regret nothing!)

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Nah. It's gonna be Dr. Spring Ribbon Min Twin Byte Biff Barq Max Pop Master Ninjara Mechanica Cobra Misango Helix Springtron.

And Knuckles. Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

(I regret nothing!)
Also, with this Fighter Pack, Sakurai changed his mind about not adding new modes anymore...

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just realized something...

If we do get a Galar Pokémon, theres a 95% chance that the stage they come with will be Galar Pokémon League, with the gimmick being Dynamax and/or Gigantamax Pokémon as stage hazards, and the crowd reacting to KOs and singing when one of them reaches the last stock or there's only 1 minute on the clock.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

If we do get a Galar Pokémon, theres a 95% chance that the stage they come with will be Galar Pokémon League, with the gimmick being Dynamax and/or Gigantamax Pokémon as stage hazards, and the crowd reacting to KOs and singing when one of them reaches the last stock or there's only 1 minute on the clock.
I am salivating.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

i'd like them to do something like this and get to the "epic" part when 1 min left/either side gets down to 1 stock:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
First, where is Reimu from? Second, why is she important? Thirdly, why do people want her in Smash?
Touhou, vertical Bullet Hell shooter with 17 main games and multiple spin-offs, including fighting games.
Big japanese Indie title done by ZUN, first game released in 1996.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Touhou, vertical Bullet Hell shooter with 17 main games and multiple spin-offs, including fighting games.
Big japanese Indie title done by ZUN, first game released in 1996.
it's also kinda a huge ass pop culture phenomenon in Japan. I'm talking Dragon Quest, Puyo Puyo levels huge

and speaking of music that transitions to the last phase when 1 min/1 stock remaining (though the former would work better here):

...yes im predictable :yeahboi: this is admittedly one of the reasons I want Octoling

D

Deleted member

I'd love that; especially with Gigantamax pokemon hazards. Kinda doubt it would be the case though. We already have Pokemon Stadium, Unova League, and the Kalos League. I've got a feeling that if they add a Galar pokemon, they'll choose a new location and not another region's league setting. Chances are it'll be the top of the battle tower or the chaotic area you fight Gigantamax Eternatus in.

I'm not saying that since we have 3 stadium/league setting stages already that its impossible for another to be added; all I'm saying is that with the effort given to stages and characters added in as DLC thus far, I think there's a better chance that Sakurai would choose a more unique Galar location (possibly a stage moving through different places in the 'Wild area' now that I think about it).

Again, though, this is even IF we get a Pokemon added from Sword & Shield anyway (fingers crossed that we do).

Last edited by a moderator:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
As much as I love SWSH and would be excited for a Gen 8 Pokemon to be a DLC fighter, Cinderace being my most wanted one (Call me basic, I know), I mostly just want them for the music, to be honest. NEED Bede's theme in-game.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
As much as I love SWSH and would be excited for a Gen 8 Pokemon to be a DLC fighter, Cinderace being my most wanted one (Call me basic, I know), I mostly just want them for the music, to be honest. NEED Bede's theme in-game.
Slowpoke/Mustard Theme or riot.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

If you can't listen to this in Smash Bros, what's even the point of the game?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd love that; especially with Gigantamax pokemon hazards. Kinda doubt it would be the case though. We already have Pokemon Stadium, Sinnoh League, and the Kalos League. I've got a feeling that if they add a Galar pokemon, they'll choose a new location and not another region's league setting. Chances are it'll be the top of the battle tower or the chaotic area you fight Gigantamax Eternatus in.

I'm not saying that since we have 3 stadium/league setting stages already that its impossible for another to be added; all I'm saying is that with the effort given to stages and characters added in as DLC thus far, I think there's a better chance that Sakurai would choose a more unique Galar location (possibly a stage moving through different places in the 'Wild area' now that I think about it).
I personally think they'll go with the stadium rather than the Wild Area since the stadium is one of it's hot spots (even moreso than in other regions), and because the Wild Area is incredibly flat, with only 1 real landmark.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Is it bad to say I am genuinely not surprised people think the votes were rigged with Reimu so high up in the poll? I know some people blamed botting. Even though IMO, Reimu's big jump shows just how fast demand can happen in the course of a year for a character.

And that's good for just about every character, to be honest. Sol Badguy is another example. Ended up low last year to the point of not making it in the top 50's Source gaming poll to making it in the top 50 this year.

Semi-related note: If both Reimu and Sol Badguy got in Smash, my Switch will end up becoming an oversized MP3 player with the music both of them will bring.
Sol wasn't even in the top 120 in the last SG poll iirc, Nantenjax even said it might be because Arc's already working on Smash, though I think the general awareness of GG may have helped out a lot with Strive

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

This is literately the only reason I'm down for a SWSH Pokemon.

Now, this was also how I came to terms with the idea of getting a SuMo Pokemon in the base game since I thought the Alola region could make for a great stage. It's a shame that didn't materialize.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505

If you can't listen to this in Smash Bros, what's even the point of the game?
Makes me wonder, if Gen 8 got in, which version of the Rivals' themes would they use? The normal or the final versions? Or would they use a composite of both?

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Might as well ask the question: What music from SWSH would you want to get in, if it were to get a fighter?
My top 3 choices would be Bede's theme, Champion's theme, and Eternatus 3.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Might as well ask the question: What music from SWSH would you want to get in, if it were to get a fighter?
Gym Leader Theme, and idc about the other two, they can be whatever

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Gym Leader, Slumberweald Forest and some battle themes (Mary, Hop, Bede, Evil Boss)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd swap Bede's theme with Marnie's, but other than that mine would be the same.

I think a lot of people would be more okay with a SwSh rep once they saw the stage and the music. Both have a lot of good options.

D

Deleted member

I personally think they'll go with the stadium rather than the Wild Area since the stadium is one of it's hot spots (even moreso than in other regions), and because the Wild Area is incredibly flat, with only 1 real landmark.
That's true; the Isle of Armor is more fun to explore, but the base game's wild area is lacking a bit. Still, I wouldn't bet on another league/stadium setting (at least I hope not) since there are other areas where pokemon can Dynamax
(the power plant where Eternatus was being held by the Chairman or the top of the Battle Tower)
which would be new locations.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Imma be murdered for this opinion, but I think Pokémon Sword/Shield's OST is fairly mediocre. I didn't find many of the area themes to be memorable, and the battle themes are just ok, except for the wild battle theme, which isn't good enough to be the one you hear the most. I actually dislike the Gym Leader battle themes since there's not much of a melody until the tone deaf crowd joins in.

I even have issues with Toby Fox's composition because it sounds like an Undertale song and not a Pokémon song.

EDIT: I think it's easily the weakest OST since Gen 5.

Slumberweald Forest
That does remind me though. Every song pertaining to the war doggos is amazing.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
that inspired me to do a thing

What are the top 5 must have songs with your dream fighters?
for me:

Neku: Twister Remix (final battle), Emptiness And, Calling (Smash Remix), Give Me All Your Love (with that one lyric removed cause this game is for Good Boys And Girls), Make Or Break
Octoling: #8 - regret (Smash Remix), Splattack (Octo) (renamed to #3 - splattack, cause it's Dedf1sh remixing it and wanna keep up with the lore), Tidal Rush (yes I know it's from the base game and not Octo Expansion, idc), #13 - shade, and Fly Octo Fly ~ Ebb & Flow (Octo)
Elma: Uncontrollable (original and instrumental so off the bat that's two songs), aBOreSSs (Prog Ares), Black Tar, In The Forest X -> Z Ver (Yggralith Zero)
Black Shadow: Feel Our Pain ~ Fire Field (F-Zero GX), Paper Engine ~ Outer Space (F-Zero GX), Theme of Captain Falcon (...yeah it's obvious they're all gonna be from GX at this point), Theme of Dr. Stewart, Theme of Black Shadow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom