• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I don't see why we couldn't get a traveling stage similar to Yggdrasil. Could maybe go from the wild area, to the Wyndon stadium, and even the battle tower.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So basically, the popular characters are favorites of one member of the team, but Spring Man is a favorite of both.
I'm still leaning towards Spring Man, on the basis that he's represent the gameplay the best. I know someone could succeed Spring Man as the face of the game, like with Darkstalkers or Samurai Shodown (Though the latter's a bit murky in that regard), but we've only gotten one game, so it's too early to tell.
Mortal Kombat is another good example with Scorpion (& to a lesser extent, Sub-Zero) replacing Liu Kang.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I just really hope the stage isn't the Wild Area, it's honestly one of the most boring looking places in the entire game in my opinion. Why should we have a boring version of The Great Plateau while that one is already a stage to begin with? Sword and Shield definitely shine in the aesthetics of its towns and cities. Go with something more interesting! Wyndon League, Hammerlocke, Stow-on-Side, Ballonlea! Heck, the Isle of Armour would do! There are just too many more interesting places that could serve as a stage than the Wild Area of all things.

And imagine people complaining about the N64 tree, but in Smash this time!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Might as well ask the question: What music from SWSH would you want to get in, if it were to get a fighter?
My top 3 choices would be Bede's theme, Champion's theme, and Eternatus 3.
Marnie's battle theme, Leon's battle theme, and Rose's battle theme.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
that inspired me to do a thing

What are the top 5 must have songs with your dream fighters?
I'll do a mix of ones that are obvious to include and ones that have a good chance of not being included if they got in.

Reimu: Pure Furies ~ Whereabouts of the Heart, The Lost Emotion, Hartmann's Youkai Girl, Faith is for the Transient People, Reincarnation

Sol Badguy: A Simple Life, Colors, Society, Writhe In Pain, Momentary Life

Travis Touchdown: We are Finally Cowboys, Pleather for Breakfast, Philistine, Season of the Samurai, Nathan is Our Boss

I'd do more but I don't want to turn this into nothing but link central here. Just fifteen that pop in my head the most when I think of these three.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Have we ever had DLC content featured in a fighter's inclusion? I.E. Stuff that was DLC to the fighter's original game, let's say music, was it featured upon them joining?

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'd take the Wild Area of Pokémon Sword and Shield as a stage, if it means getting pop-in for grass and trees and Frame drop for game fidelity. :bobomb:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
iirc there are a few tracks from Mario Kart 8's DLC, does that count?
Yeah, I would say that counts. I say this because Byleth didn't feature characters from the new DLC house at the time, though that could've been because they weren't out at the time.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yeah, I would say that counts. I say this because Byleth didn't feature characters from the new DLC house at the time, though that could've been because they weren't out at the time.
Considering Sakurai was planning Byleth with an unfinished beta build of Threehouses, I'd say it's probably the case.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
As much as I enjoyed the games, I honestly could do with little SwSh tracks because it is far from my favorite OST in the series. I wish tracks from all around the series could come along with the fighter, but Byleth didn't give me much confidence in that happening. I think the stage could be another Pokemon Stadium, this time with a gym battle going on in the background that has G-Max Pokemon cameo.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

for me:

Neku: Twister Remix (final battle), Emptiness And, Calling (Smash Remix), Give Me All Your Love (with that one lyric removed cause this game is for Good Boys And Girls), Make Or Break
Octoling: #8 - regret (Smash Remix), Splattack (Octo) (renamed to #3 - splattack, cause it's Dedf1sh remixing it and wanna keep up with the lore), Tidal Rush (yes I know it's from the base game and not Octo Expansion, idc), #13 - shade, and Fly Octo Fly ~ Ebb & Flow (Octo)
Elma: Uncontrollable (original and instrumental so off the bat that's two songs), aBOreSSs (Prog Ares), Black Tar, In The Forest X -> Z Ver (Yggralith Zero)
Black Shadow: Feel Our Pain ~ Fire Field (F-Zero GX), Paper Engine ~ Outer Space (F-Zero GX), Theme of Captain Falcon (...yeah it's obvious they're all gonna be from GX at this point), Theme of Dr. Stewart, Theme of Black Shadow
Phoenix Wright: Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth, Pressing Pursuit ~ Cornerned, the Steel Samurai theme, Athena Cykes ~ Courtroom Revolutionnaire, Pursuit ~ Cornered (Cadenza Remix)

Kazuma Kiryu: Pledge of Demon, Battle for the Dream, Twin Dragons, For Whose Sake, Penumbra

Kat (Gravity Rush): Night Gale, Pleasure Quarter, Lei Havina, Threshold of a Dream, Storm and Triumph

I.D.

Smash Lord
Spring Man is his favorite, then he said Twintelle because the art director already took him. The art director threw in a vote for Min Min as he finds her relatable, showing he likes her a lot, but like Yabuki, Spring Man is his favorite.
https://www.gamereactor.eu/bearing-arms-with-nintendos-kosuke-yabuki/
Who is your favourite character?
It's very difficult to answer a question like that because for me they are a little bit like my children. But if I really had to pick one, I'd take Min Min. And Springman would be second.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
As much as I enjoyed the games, I honestly could do with little SwSh tracks because it is far from my favorite OST in the series. I wish tracks from all around the series could come along with the fighter, but Byleth didn't give me much confidence in that happening. I think the stage could be another Pokemon Stadium, this time with a gym battle going on in the background that has G-Max Pokemon cameo.
I felt so sad when they didn't add the remixed villain themes from USUM, it was the perfect opportunity.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Going to make my final prediciton on the ARMS character. Initially it will be revealed to be Spring Man at the beginning of the trailer. There will be much dissapointment until halfway through the trailer, it will be revealed that Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Springtron are alts. Spring Man's comeback, Ribbon Girl's mid-air jumps, and Min Min's kicks will all be incorporated into the moveset since all of those abilities work fairly well in Smash and don't take away too much from the main gimmick of extendable arms. Springtron's EMP thing will probably be ditched but tbh no one will probably care. The only thing I'm unsure on is what will be done with Min Min's dragon arm. I don't know if that's something that would work well being put on to the other characters but I guess it doesn't really do much for the extendable arms gimmick anwyway so the developers might have no issue cutting it regardless.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Springtron's EMP thing will probably be ditched but tbh no one will probably care.
Springtron's EMP is included, but because it's only designed to disable other ARMS, it only has an effect during mirror matches. Any other matchup, and the attack does nothing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm probably the only one assuming its Spring Man he might be the only exceptional case for an Assist promotion due to having been planned for Base game.

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't see why we couldn't get a traveling stage similar to Yggdrasil. Could maybe go from the wild area, to the Wyndon stadium, and even the battle tower.
If Gen 8 gets a travelling stage, it needs a Kalos-esque edge. Why am I requiring this? For moments like these:

Utterly_Unexpected_Moments_in_Smash_Ultimate_24 (2).gif

Have we ever had DLC content featured in a fighter's inclusion? I.E. Stuff that was DLC to the fighter's original game, let's say music, was it featured upon them joining?
I don't think so, unless one counts Dragon Quest XI S as DLC (which it kind of is if one stretches the definition of DLC).

Probably changes with the ARMS character since several DLC characters will likely be Spirits.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Going to make my final prediciton on the ARMS character. Initially it will be revealed to be Spring Man at the beginning of the trailer. There will be much dissapointment until halway through the trailer, it will be revealed that Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Springtron are alts. Spring Man's comeback, Ribbon Girl's mid-air jumps, and Min Min's kicks will all be incorporated into the moveset since all of those abilities work fairly well in Smash and don't take away too much from the main gimmick of extendable arms. Springtron's EMP thing will probably be ditched but tbh no one will probably care. The only thing I'm unsure on is what will be done with Min Min's dragon arm. I don't know if that's something that would work well being put on to the other characters but I guess it doesn't really do much for the extendable arms gimmick anwyway so the developers might have no issue cutting it regardless.
I'd say this is the worst timeline, but someone mentioned Min Min having only kicks for her normal attacks so I can't really say that in good faith anymore.

They still lived. lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Springtron's EMP is included, but because it's only designed to disable other ARMS, it only has an effect during mirror matches. Any other matchup, and the attack does nothing.
could convert it to Stun any other fighter, mirror or not. Disabled ARMS is pretty much ARMS's version of Stun

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given how similar Spring Man plays and its him. Anyone think he'll be compared to:ultlittlemac:as:ultbanjokazooie:is to:ultduckhunt:and:ult_terry:to:ultken:?

What could we call Spring Man then?

Spring Mac?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Given how similar Spring Man plays and its him. Anyone think he'll be compared to:ultlittlemac:as:ultbanjokazooie:is to:ultduckhunt:and:ult_terry:to:ultken:?

Spring Mac?
Stretchy Mac, because just fusing the two names is boring.

We don't call Terry "Ken Bogard" or "Terry Masters", we call him "Hat Ken".

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Spring Mac?
Just a hunch, but I don't think Little Mac can reach as far as Spring Man.

They're both boxers, but that's one of the only similarities between the two. People really shouldn't compare them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Stretchy Mac, because just fusing the two names is boring.

We don't call Terry "Ken Bogard" or "Terry Masters", we call him "Hat Ken".
I honestly think Trucker Ken is a more fitting name then Hat Ken tbh.
Just a hunch, but I don't think Little Mac can reach as far as Spring Man.

They're both boxers, but that's one of the only similarities between the two. People really shouldn't compare them.
Can't the same be said for the other two comparisons I made, I just have a feeling if its him, people will be comparing him to Little Mac as the other two comparisons shown (Banjo: British Duck Hunt, Terry: Hat Ken/Trucker Ken). Aside from being mammal and bird duos and red wearing blonde fighters, what similarities do those two comparisons have in which this case people might compare these two to each other being just boxers.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

for me:

Neku: Twister Remix (final battle), Emptiness And, Calling (Smash Remix), Give Me All Your Love (with that one lyric removed cause this game is for Good Boys And Girls), Make Or Break
Octoling: #8 - regret (Smash Remix), Splattack (Octo) (renamed to #3 - splattack, cause it's Dedf1sh remixing it and wanna keep up with the lore), Tidal Rush (yes I know it's from the base game and not Octo Expansion, idc), #13 - shade, and Fly Octo Fly ~ Ebb & Flow (Octo)
Elma: Uncontrollable (original and instrumental so off the bat that's two songs), aBOreSSs (Prog Ares), Black Tar, In The Forest X -> Z Ver (Yggralith Zero)
Black Shadow: Feel Our Pain ~ Fire Field (F-Zero GX), Paper Engine ~ Outer Space (F-Zero GX), Theme of Captain Falcon (...yeah it's obvious they're all gonna be from GX at this point), Theme of Dr. Stewart, Theme of Black Shadow
Only going to do my top 3 but sure

Shanoa: Rhapsody of the Foresaken, Dissonant Courage, Order of the Demon, Sorrow's Distortion and Clashing of Waves

Miriam: The Executioners, Silent Howling, Cursed Orphan, Towers of Twin Dragons and Voyage of Promise

Sol Badguy: Colours, Awe of She X, Ride the Fire, Holy Orders X and Midnight Carnival

SKX31

Smash Master
They still lived. lol
Thanks to the worst best stage in Smash since Pokemon Stadium 1, which is a disaster (and absolutely amazing):

Pokemon_Stadium_is_a_Disaster_(and_tournament_legal).gif

I honestly think Trucker Ken is a more fitting name then Hat Ken tbh.

Can't the same be said for the other two comparisons I made, I just have a feeling if its him, people will be comparing him to Little Mac as the other two comparisons shown (Banjo: British Duck Hunt, Terry: Hat Ken/Trucker Ken). Aside from being mammal and bird duos and red wearing blonde fighters, what similarities do those two comparisons have as well compared to Little Mac and Spring Man?
At least the ARMS character will have a better rec- please Sakurai, just rework :ultlittlemac:, he doesn't deserve being eternally gimped. Just give him Star Punches instead...

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

for me:

Seems fun, I'll choose 5 songs that I absolutely want to see in Smash for each of my Top 3 then.

Kazuma Kiryu's songs:
Receive You
Pledge of Demon
For Who's Sake
A Scattered Moment
Battle of Pride (This one will never happen in a million years lmao, but we need Eurobeat in Smash!!)

Sol Badguy's songs:
Suck a Sage
Diva
Reunion
Jack-a-Dandy
The Ship

Yeah, some out there picks I know, but honestly, all GG songs are very great. So I picked my absolute favourites and didn't really focus on the more obvious ones (like Holy Orders and Midnight Carnival for example).

Phoenix Wright's songs:
Age, Regret, Reward (Please make a metal remix out of this let's gooooooooooooooo)
Pursuit ~ Caught
The Fragrance of Dark Coffee (Remix)
Pursuit ~ Lying Coldly
Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

for me:

Let's see... Off the top of my head:

Bandana Dee: Masked Dedede, Galacta Knight, Dirty and Beauty/Sullied Grace, Dark Mind, PROGRAM

Reimu: Necrofantasia, Inchlings of the Shining Needle, Heian Alien, Shotouku Legend, Faith is for the Transient People, and pretty much everything else. If it's allowed, Night of Nights, because why the **** not.

Sol Badguy: Heavy Day, Holy Orders, Marionette, Give Me a Break, Ride the Fire

Miriam: Exorschism, Silent Howling, Cursed Orphan, Gears of Fortune, Nightmare of the Cursed Ones

Probably more, this is what I could think of at the moment.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Something to chew on...it's very possible that industry insiders know who the character is. It's been implied that they were originally revealing the character earlier this month, but things got shifted around based on the state of the world at that point.

Since then, we've had 2-3 insiders say certain things. Whether they specifically know or not is up in the air.
Knowing all the characters from pass 2 is super unlikely, and that's being generous. Not even high reliable people in the industry such as Imran or Zhuge would know the full lineup at this moment, when the identity of the first characters is still a mystery for fans.
At best they maybe know 2-3 characters, depending on their sources.

Its amazing that many fans on Twitter will try and refute this by saying “LOL LOOK AT THE SMASH FANS BEING UPSET AT A NINTENDO FIGHTER IN A NINTENDO GAME”.

If that really was true, then Sakurai shouldn’t have been repeatedly saying that this was a celebration of gaming as a whole amid a tidal wave of hype third parties. Not to mention saying how more DLC gives more opportunity to please fans, only to load the next pass with uninspired shill picks.
He never said the celebration of gaming thing. That was the translation. IIRC he talked about expanding Ultimate or something like that.

I never even knew people saw Dante as a meme pick. Ever since the release of DMC5 and Joker's reveal, I always thought Dante would be a great addition because he has so many things in his favor: Recognizable character from a well established, well received and important franchise, likable personality and character, awesome fighting style that opens up for many possibilities for a moveset, recently had a title that is being hailed as one of the best games of the decade with Devil May Cry 5 and even met the quota that Hideki Kamiya had by having a game on the Switch (DMC1, DMC2 and DMC3 with DMC4 being only a matter of time) so that he saw him as a possibility.

The only reason I can think of why he's a meme pick is because of Byleth's reveal due to how many people (including myself) thought he was going to be Fighter #5 with so many things leading to him being the possible character at the time and how many people would have preferred Dante over Byleth.
You meant Hideaki Itsuno, not Hideki Kamiya. Kamiya left Capcom years ago. He was the director of the first DMC game tho.
Itsuno was who said the "we should put DMC on the Switch before putting Dante in Smash" thing.

They do or was this a typo?

If anything, Min Min would just reiterate that Assist Trophies disconfirm since they went out of their way to not include Spring Man.
I do not think Min Min will get in, but if she gets in it could be for a completely different reason instead of "Springman is an AT therefore he can't be playable". We wouldn't probably know why, if Springman isn't picked, but I'm saying that going with another character could be for multiple reasons.

Only going to do my top 3 but sure

Shanoa: Rhapsody of the Foresaken, Dissonant Courage, Order of the Demon, Sorrow's Distortion and Clashing of Waves

Miriam: The Executioners, Silent Howling, Cursed Orphan, Towers of Twin Dragons and Voyage of Promise

Sol Badguy: Colours, Awe of She X, Ride the Fire, Holy Orders X and Midnight Carnival
I know it's one of the most popular songs of the game but not suggesting An Empty Tome with Shanoa hurts my eyes.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Personally I feel it's a crime so many good Pokemon Battle themes aren't in the game. If the regis, or any other legendary for that matter, come to the game, these are the themes I'd like.
Legendary Titans Battle Theme
Giratina Battle Theme
Legendary Beasts Battle Theme
Mewtwo Battle Theme (X and Y)
Xerneas and Yveltal Battle Theme
Groudon and Kyogre Battle Theme
Reshiram and Zekrom Battle Theme
Legendary Battle Theme (Black and White)
Ho-Oh Battle Theme
Lugia Battle Theme
Ultra Beasts Theme
Ultra Necrozma Battle Theme

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Knowing all the characters from pass 2 is super unlikely, and that's being generous. Not even high reliable people in the industry such as Imran or Zhuge would know the full lineup at this moment, when the identity of the first characters is still a mystery for fans.
At best they maybe know 2-3 characters, depending on their sources.

He never said the celebration of gaming thing. That was the translation. IIRC he talked about expanding Ultimate or something like that.

You meant Hideaki Itsuno, not Hideki Kamiya. Kamiya left Capcom years ago. He was the director of the first DMC game tho.
Itsuno was who said the "we should put DMC on the Switch before putting Dante in Smash" thing.

I do not think Min Min will get in, but if she gets in it could be for a completely different reason instead of "Springman is an AT therefore he can't be playable". We wouldn't probably know why, if Springman isn't picked, but I'm saying that going with another character could be for multiple reasons.

I know it's one of the most popular songs of the game but not suggesting An Empty Tome with Shanoa hurts my eyes.
I didn’t say they knew the whole pass, I find the concept of anybody knowing the whole pass a bit crazy to expect.

I do think it could be a case by case thing, as these sources don’t have the info until a short time before.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Must have songs for some of my most wanted:
Master Chief - Gungnir Mix, The Trials, One Final Effort, Revival, Behold a Pale Horse

Dante - Devil Trigger, Vergil Theme 3, Ultra Violet, The Time Has Come, Lock and Load

Fulgore - Type-03, Warlord, I'm Back (to rise), Village of Whispers, Inferno

Alisa/Soma/Lindow - No Way Back, Nemesis, Supra Omnia, Tumbling Fate, Tied to Tomorrow

Noctis/Ardyn - Hellfire, Stand Your Ground, Apocalypsis Noctis, Veiled in Black, Battle on the Big Bridge

I'd take the Wild Area of Pokémon Sword and Shield as a stage, if it means getting pop-in for grass and trees and Frame drop for game fidelity. :bobomb:
The pop-in trees are one of the stage hazards :4pacman:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

for me:

Dixie Kong: Mountain Mania (DKCTF), Big Boss Blues (DKC3), Rockface Rumble (DKC3), Homecoming Hijink (DKCTF), Jib Jig (DKC2)
Phoenix Wright: Pursuit Cornered (AA1), Court Begins (AA1), Godot's Theme (AA T&T), Simon Blackquill - Twisted Samurai (AA: DD), Athena Cykes - Courtroom Revolutionaire (AA: DD)
Sora: Sinister Sundown (KH2), The 13th Dilemma (KH2), Dismiss (KHBBS), Working Together (KH2), Rage Awakened (KHBBS)
Yuri Lowell: A Formidable Foe Stands in the Way (TOV), Ring a Bell (TOV), True Will (TOB), Fatalize (TOS), The Capital with a Beautiful Lake and Holy Sword (TOZ)
Shantae: Dance Through the Danger (HGH), We Love Burning Town (PC), Trip through Sequin Land (PC), Hypno Baron's Castle (HGH), Mermaid Falls (HGH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom