• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
One thing that COULD (key word there: "Could") help Min Min is Sakurai's wording of this fighter being "A special request". Considering Min Min is the ARMS Director's favorite, it is possible that Yabuki himself approached Sakurai and requested her specifically.

Not 100% certain this is the likely scenario, but it is possible in my eyes: I think I remember reading crossover characters appeared in Mario Kart specifically as a request from developers, so anything is possible.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
One thing that COULD (key word there: "Could") help Min Min is Sakurai's wording of this fighter being "A special request". Considering Min Min is the ARMS Director's favorite, it is possible that Yabuki himself approached Sakurai and requested her specifically.

Not 100% certain this is the likely scenario, but it is possible in my eyes: I think I remember reading crossover characters appeared in Mario Kart specifically as a request from developers, so anything is possible.
all i'm saying is that if yabuki personally requested someone it's the ramen girl he mimicked the victory pose of during his legendary invitational smackdown

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
This doesn't even rank in my top 5 for the worst periods in Smash Speculation. Off the top of my head, there's:
  • The period between E3 2014 and Robin's reveal, where you could only discuss the three Gematsu characters (Shulk, Chrom, or the Chorus Kids) without someone immediately going "They're not happening because they weren't leaked".
  • The period between Smash 3DS and the 50 Fact Extravaganza where everyone was fighting over whether we would get any additional characters and how those characters would be added, with everyone seemingly either playing the pie-in-the-sky "Ridley, Mewtwo, Wolf, and Goku all join once you connect the 3DS and Wii U game because my dad works at Nintendo" or the extremely pessimistic "This is all we're getting, deal with it".
  • The end of Smash Ultimate's speculation, where people were expected to either fall perfectly into the Box Theory or Grinch Leak camps and any attempt to stray from those theories was met with the most zealous members on both sides trying to tell you you're wrong.
  • The 6 month period between Joker's reveal and E3 2019, where we had almost no leads beyond constantly fighting over who "Brave" was and hearing everyone's hilarious take on how far they could stretch brave to be emblematic of their character.
  • The period between Terry and Byleth's reveal, where no one had any idea when the next announcement would come and all we had to entertain ourselves was the Great Guess Who Game of 2019.
So yeah, we could be doing a lot worst than now.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This doesn't even rank in my top 5 for the worst periods in Smash Speculation. Off the top of my head, there's:
  • The period between E3 2014 and Robin's reveal, where you could only discuss the three Gematsu characters (Shulk, Chrom, or the Chorus Kids) without someone immediately going "They're not happening because they weren't leaked".
  • The period between Smash 3DS and the 50 Fact Extravaganza where everyone was fighting over whether we would get any additional characters and how those characters would be added, with everyone seemingly either playing the pie-in-the-sky "Ridley, Mewtwo, Wolf, and Goku all join once you connect the 3DS and Wii U game because my dad works at Nintendo" or the extremely pessimistic "This is all we're getting, deal with it".
  • The end of Smash Ultimate's speculation, where people were expected to either fall perfectly into the Box Theory or Grinch Leak camps and any attempt to stray from those theories was met with the most zealous members on both sides trying to tell you you're wrong.
  • The 6 month period between Joker's reveal and E3 2019, where we had almost no leads beyond constantly fighting over who "Brave" was and hearing everyone's hilarious take on how far they could stretch brave to be emblematic of their character.
  • The period between Terry and Byleth's reveal, where no one had any idea when the next announcement would come and all we had to entertain ourselves was the Great Guess Who Game of 2019.
I'd also say the period between March 2018 and E3 of that year is at least an honorable mention. Every single month was "Oh, I bet they'll have another Direct this month! There's no way they'd keep us in the dark about Smash on Switch until E3!"

And then they kept us in the dark about Smash on Switch until E3.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I'd also say the period between March 2018 and E3 of that year is at least an honorable mention. Every single month was "Oh, I bet they'll have another Direct this month! There's no way they'd keep us in the dark about Smash on Switch until E3!"

And then they kept us in the dark about Smash on Switch until E3.
the eternal cycle

"no way they wait until e3 to reveal fighter 6"

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If we're gonna go with this reason... so is Spring Man, so it could be a toss-up between the two.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Plot twist: The "special request" was from Nintendo's higher ups who want the next fighter to show off as much of what the series has to offer as possible resulting in a custom character that lets you pick which character's qualities you would like more and the ARMS they use before the match starts so everybody wins.

LET ME DREAM DANGIT!!!

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
So essentially most of the people that say first party characters are boring are people whose most wanted characters are third party characters.

Is that similar to the people who make up “fan rules”’to try and convince themselves that the character they want has a better chance because they don’t fall into one of those categories?

I hate the mentality of putting down other people’s picks by saying they wouldn’t be as “exciting”. You know what first party characters do have as an advantage? They’re not a hassle for Nintendo to put in AND it promotes their own series.

I don’t think the entire pass will be first party. I’d love to see Crash, Sora, or even Master Chief get in. But the notion of it being mostly that gets me excited even if it isn’t the characters I wanted. Because if I really like the character I can likely play their games on the same freaking console I’m playing Smash on.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
For sure.

But I do think Min Min being Yabuki's favorite is worth bringing up.
It is indeed worth bringing up, I just also wanted to mention that it would technically benefit more than one character.

Who knows, maybe the initial plan was just to include Spring Man, while the "special request" was that they also include Min Min as an alt/Echo Fighter, just so that both of Yabuki's favorites can be playable.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Grinch "hoax" was easily the worst time, the amount of 4channers running about hurling insults and slurs and the like was embarrassing.
It's amusing how quickly a bunch of people just left after the direct confirmed it was bull**** though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This Zhuge guy could be ultra confident in Min Min winning the poll...

Or he's playing jedi mind tricks and they're all in and it never mattered who won the poll.

Of course, Twintelle being on the poll throws a wrench in that unless they somehow got her to work as a skin.
Or he's just full of ****.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It's easy to be confident in Min Min on polls. In a contest of pure popularity, she'll win pretty much every time.

Droodle

Smash Lord

Or he's playing jedi mind tricks and they're all in and it never mattered who won the poll.

Of course, Twintelle being on the poll throws a wrench in that unless they somehow got her to work as a skin.
Or he's just full of ****.
They're all in.

But I'm willing to bet that some of them will just end up being in the trailer or as cameos. That technically counts as being "revealed" in the trailer :4pacman:.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Plot twist: It's all older Nintendo characters from dead franchises whose games aren't on the Switch.

Or Euden, who's mobile only.
Plot twist: It’s all older Nintendo characters from dead franchises whose games aren’t on the Switch until Nintendo decided to bring them back hence why they’re getting attention in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Plot twist: It’s all older Nintendo characters from dead franchises whose games aren’t on the Switch until Nintendo decided to bring them back hence why they’re getting attention in Smash.
This is how Elma can still win.

What? X is a dead installment of Xenoblade that hasn’t gotten a sequel (yet). It counts!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So essentially most of the people that say first party characters are boring are people whose most wanted characters are third party characters
I don't think that categorizing people like that is a good way to put it. Not everything is black and white-
It's I think the biggest issue with the Smash community in general, people saying "wow what a shocker, people who want more first parties think first parties are important" or the recerse with third parties.

My most wanted right now are third and first parties. I'd kill for Sora, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Isaac or Andy.
I would have killed for Chrom pre-release.
I would be extremely happy if peoples get their most wanted no matter what.

I'm just saying that it's really being delusional for people to think that a first party would make a bigger noise than a third party if your name is not Waluigi right now.

First parties are cool.
But let's be honest, beside sadly dormant series like Mother, Golden Sun and others, any first parties are scrapping the barrel of Nintendo characters... And for a "broader audience" I don't think a first party focused pass would hit the same as a third party focused one like the first pass.

Nintendo "raised" our expectation, and it's our fault to believe they would follow that trend.
But it would also be their to lack transparency, even more with Sakurai's comment about bringing more worlds togethers or making fans happy. So far Byleth got actually a good lukewarm welcome because he ended up looking more than a boring swordman and Threehouses is an amazing Game.
ARMS is getting a good reception because it's a new franchise. But if we start getting first parties from existing franchise. This is where I expect fans and the speculation in general to get very much toxic.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's a lot of different ways to interpret the tweet, which is why I wouldn't dwell on it.

"The character is Min Min."
"All four are getting in."
"Vote for your favorite character. It increases their chances of getting in."
"I mean, they were present in the trailer. They were technically revealed weren't they?"

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My least favorite was the period where we cycled through Doom's protagonist, and a few other characters ad nauseam. So freaking boring.

And while I do like arguing with low stakes, the fact that I argued with someone who's username was literally "verbatim" without any vowels in it for so long is a little embarrassing.

If only.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's easy to be confident in Min Min on polls. In a contest of pure popularity, she'll win pretty much every time.
Fun fact. This is probably true only for the Smash speculation as she didnt win the only popularity contest the ARMS team did for the ARMS game. It ended up being Ninjara, Kid Cobra and SpringMan.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of me would love to see Sakurai joking as to why the other ARMS characters didn't get the nod:

Sakurai: We were going with Lola Pop as the fighter, but once we heard about some fans having Coulrophobia. we didn't want to panic the American players.

*Laughter by the crew*

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Part of me would love to see Sakurai joking as to why the other ARMS characters didn't get the nod:

Sakurai: We were going with Lola Pop as the fighter, but once we heard about some fans having Coulrophobia. we didn't want to panic the American players.

*Laughter by the crew*
I think you mean

*Laughing in Sakurai Cats*

Sakurai just evolved. This presentation is from his house, and he's doing the camera work alone.
He's becoming a real Youtuber/Streamer. Can't wait for him to open an onlyfan just for more precious cats pics.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I don't think that categorizing people like that is a good way to put it. Not everything is black and white-
It's I think the biggest issue with the Smash community in general, people saying "wow what a shocker, people who want more first parties think first parties are important" or the recerse with third parties.

My most wanted right now are third and first parties. I'd kill for Sora, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Isaac or Andy.
I would have killed for Chrom pre-release.
I would be extremely happy if peoples get their most wanted no matter what.

I'm just saying that it's really being delusional for people to think that a first party would make a bigger noise than a third party if your name is not Waluigi right now.

First parties are cool.
But let's be honest, beside sadly dormant series like Mother, Golden Sun and others, any first parties are scrapping the barrel of Nintendo characters... And for a "broader audience" I don't think a first party focused pass would hit the same as a third party focused one like the first pass.

Nintendo "raised" our expectation, and it's our fault to believe they would follow that trend.
But it would also be their to lack transparency, even more with Sakurai's comment about bringing more worlds togethers or making fans happy. So far Byleth got actually a good lukewarm welcome because he ended up looking more than a boring swordman and Threehouses is an amazing Game.
ARMS is getting a good reception because it's a new franchise. But if we start getting first parties from existing franchise. This is where I expect fans and the speculation in general to get very much toxic.
I agree that not everything is black and white and that’s why I think there’s more to it than “Phoenix Wright would make a bigger splash than Andy so let’s get Capcom on the phone and figure this out!”

Dormant series are dormant until they’re not. RPG’s are extremely successful on the Switch right now and strategy games like FE have blown up bigger than ever. Why would Nintendo not think “We have more series like those that we don’t have to pay SE for, why not use them?”

Marth and Roy in Smash are the reason Fire Emblem gained popularity in the west. Nintendo used the first pass to advertise third party series. Now they can use this one to promote their own. I guarantee most Smash fans are going to buy whatever they throw out there anyways because they’re Smash fans and they have to have every character.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I guarantee most Smash fans are going to buy whatever they throw out there anyways because they’re Smash fans and they have to have every character.
But we know thanks to some reggie interview or was it investor meeting one. That it's not their goal, irc their goal is to open smash to a broader audience who aren't playing smash with the DLC

I might be missremembering but I think that was it-

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That period between E3 2014 and Robin was definitely the worst imo, not just because of the pessimism, but also because speculation for Smash 4 had been going at full speed for over a year at that point (Jan 2013 was when it really got going imo with the announcement it'd be at that year's E3). I was just so incredibly burnt out on speculation during that period, and I was hardly the only one, the atmosphere on this site was both incredibly tense and super depressing at the same time. Robin's incredibly positive reception on here speaks volumes about just how tired people were of the Gematsu leak, there were celebrations for the sole reason that he went against it.

DLC speculation is much easier to sit through than base game speculation imo, activity as a whole drops and you can disconnect for significant periods as you wait for news, where as with the base game things are far more frantic due to activity being higher, more regular updates, and excitement being higher due to the game not being out.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Honestly more excited to see Sakurai present the fighter from his own home than I am to see who the fighter is. I really, really hope his cat makes a cameo appearance.

ARMS only has one game under it’s belt, so in the case of a sequel I could see Min Min take center stage, if she is actually the one picked for Smash. It would be weird seeing Spring Man sidelined since he is the Ryu of ARMS, but considering it is rare to see a female character as the main protagonist in Nintendo games, I think it would be neat.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Anyone not saying the Ballot times are ****ing liars.
I'll say it but having all characters threads, spawning of twitters account, and all that ****ty stuff as if they were running for presidential, ****ting on others characters, and the whole thing being choosing a side felt worst. So did the meltdown when Bayonetta was revealed as the winner.

Never ****ing again. I'd take 10 ARMS reveal, 40 Gematsu leak and 100 Box Theory over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom