• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly the only people who would be annoyed about that would be the people who think it's a 'bastardization' of their favorite character since they'd take away special abilities like Ninjara's teleport or Min's kicks ... which aren't the main focus of ARMS in the first place, so it's not guaranteed that we'd even get those in the first place.
Hard disagree. Any character on their own would make full use of their abilities. Granted, they wouldn't be the moveset's focus, but they would be prominent enough to direct the playstyle of the character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm guessing everyone saw the thing where the ARMS character will be shown off on Monday?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
It's laughable to go "they can't have a model already...okay, but they can't have animations already made for them".
Okay, well...

1. I didn’t say that. I’m sorry you interpreted it that way. What I was alluding to is that Spring Man is already in the game as an Assist Trophy, which as of yet, there has never been an instance where a character that is currently an Assist Trophy is promoted in the same game.

2. Can I have my own opinions and thoughts regarding which ARMS character should be in? I want Min Min or Ribbon Girl. You apparently want Spring Man, and I have GREATLY upset you for not feeling the same.

3. I view Spirits and Assist Trophies differently. I believe the latter deconfirms simply because it hasn’t happen yet otherwise to prove me wrong or open the possibilities. I see Spirits as what trophies were, and we can cases of Trophies not stopping characters from becoming playable as DLC. Both are a means to represent. One was a collectible. One represents by means of a brief showcase of a character that isn’t on the roster.

4. I have already said I am open to Spring Man joining the roster. I’m not against his inclusion. I just personally think it’s going to be someone else.

5. It’s a video game. Calm down. We are all here speculating about a video game. Nothing any of us has holds any merit in the grand scheme of it all. It’s all speculation, thoughts, opinions, and questions.

Christ, I love Smash speculation, but everytime I come back to it I quickly remember why I left.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I could see them doing a blank slate type character, and you customize your arms as you pick your character, kinda like with Miis (or custom moves from Smash 4).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I could see them doing a blank slate type character, and you customize your arms as you pick your character, kinda like with Miis (or custom moves from Smash 4).
I don't think it's likely, but man do I hope this is the route they take.

>More people get the character they want.
>None of them are frankensteined into Spring Man.
Everyone wins!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Really, the argument of, "HAH THAT'S JUST A DUMB FAN RULE" is so clearly not actually used as an intellectual idea but more of a way to shut down ideas that fans don't subscribe to. It's been that way from the beginning of the rise in use of the term.

Do I like when people think certain ideas are infallible? No. However, that's not even what's happening.

I'll provide another example that might make it seem more obvious. Let's say a guy who has proven an idea he has says, "Hey based on this stuff that I tried out, it turns out that X leads to Y! What do you think?" If the response was like, "Nuh uh, FAN RULES SUCK!" the equivalent would be someone saying, "I don't like that outcome, so I'm not going to listen to you!"

Meanwhile, any time somebody types the phrase "fan rule" it is almost never followed with a basis as to why the "fan rule" in question has nothing to base itself on. It's just a phrase to cast something aside. It's toxic. It adds nothing to discussion but doubt in the name of, "I don't want that, so I'm not going to respond intellectually. I'm just going to pretend it doesn't exist by putting my fingers in my ears and screeching LALALALALALALA".

Maybe I shouldn't be as invested in this particular point, but man do I dislike the way the discourse has changed since everybody thinks they can shut down ideas by just typing, "It's a fan rule". At least come up with an argument as to why you don't think said point will happen rather than being disrespectful and boiling down interesting ideas to something as mind-numbing as this false-narrative of "fan rules dictate what I can / can't talk about"

If you want a character to be taken more seriously, then present a convincing case for that character that isn't just "I want them and other people do too". That on its own will not convince other people.
The thing that really gets me is that some people pick and choose which "fan rules" are valid. Like "Banjo happened, fan demand is king!" and then go "Spring Man is the poster boy, its gotta be him."

Or use an example to say an issue doesn't exist as opposed to argue a possibility.

"K.Rool proved irrelevancy doesn't matter." No, he got in, in spite of irrelevancy. His problems didn't disappear. The pros just outweighed the cons.

Last edited:
Here's a fun quote from a Sakurai Interview about Piranha Plant.

"I’m actually not paying too much focus on the surprise element when we introduce a new fighter. The surprise element quickly fades once the announcement has been made.

Rather, I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct?

Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well. And, I want to make sure to remind everyone that it is a limited-time offer fighter everyone can get for free as an early-purchase bonus."

If we get someone other than Spring Man, I could see it coming from this line of reasoning (or a request from the ARMS developers). I don't think the guessing game was thought up until after the fact, and possibly not by someone directly involved in Smash development. That could be seen as a better case for Spring Man. That said, a guessing game would raise awareness for a character who wouldn't normally be known, so if it were someone else it prevents some of the "literal who" that would happen.

There's also a case to be made that Duck Hunt, etc., are the main face of the games despite being non-hero characters. That could matter, but it's a unclear. I don't know that this quote changes much for speculating, but it is enlightening about why decisions could be made.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The thing that really gets me is that some people pick and choose which "fan rules" are valid. Like "Banjo happened, fan demand is king!" and then go "Spring Man is the poster boy, its gotta be him."
And on the flip side there's "Banjo & Kazooie are exceptions and we will not get another irrelevant or western character".

Really people just latch on to whatever extreme. It's like this in all arguments it seems.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well thank God they announced when the next reveal/presentation takes place. It's only 3 days until the ARMS discussion is over and we move on to jabbering about who the next DLC character will be. For now, I'll just think Nintendo asked Sakurai to add the ARMS franchise to 1 of the Challenger Packs and let him choose whatever character he wants, and the character chosen was Lola Pop because Smash never had any clowns before.

Also, I'm very interested in the next round of Mii Costumes. What new/returning costumes will be added alongside the ARMS rep? I'm going out on a limb saying Dragonborn will be 1 of the costumes.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well thank God they announced when the next reveal/presentation takes place. It's only 3 days until the ARMS discussion is over and we move on to jabbering about who the next DLC character will be. For now, I'll just think Nintendo asked Sakurai to add the ARMS franchise to 1 of the Challenger Packs and let him choose whatever character he wants, and the character chosen was Lola Pop because Smash never had any clowns before.

Also, I'm very interested in the next round of Mii Costumes. What new/returning costumes will be added alongside the ARMS rep? I'm going out on a limb saying Dragonborn will be 1 of the costumes.
Returning: Heihachi if there’s no Namco rep this pass
New: Ori. Premium Brawler with a Light of Nibel edit PLEASE I NEEEEEEED IT -

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Either way, there's a distinction in how ideas are shared in terms of an open discourse.

I used some examples earlier, and I'll just briefly harken back to them. So I make a point about protagonists or mascots. It's backed by many data points. Now, it's one thing if I say, "This indicates that it's likely a trend and may continue through the last 6 DLC picks". It's another entirely to say, "If you don't agree with this, you're going to be disappointed because there's NO WAY that this is wrong".

Another example is, "I think it's potentially possible that Banjo could be an exception as a western 3rd party due to the fact that we have few characters left if this is the last pass of DLC for Ultimate" being different from, "We can't get western characters and you're stupid for thinking we can get them." Two very different sentiments, and tones.

The thing of it is, in the last several months I don't think very many people have acted in such a way that reflects the latter. Just because you disagree with something doesn't make it a fan rule; I would argue calling an argument a "fan rule" almost immediately makes it seem like the idea is sound, and is threatening to a certain personal pick. At least, that's my perception.

Like, if somebody wants Bandanna Waddle Dee, great! That doesn't immediately mean they're likely, and shutting down points people make against Bandanna Waddle Dee based on speculation (aka, the purpose of the thread) by saying, "well that's just a fan rule" is more of a defeat in the sense of not instead responding with, "Actually, I disagree and here's why". Nobody is just going to suddenly believe what you say or agree with you until you back it up with something. That's just how it goes.

I'm not infallible myself. I've been wrong. However, even though I'm wrong plenty of people seem to get the points I make and understand where I'm coming from with what I'm saying. That's the difference.

Not to mention, it's ok to be wrong. There's this absolute fear in being wrong and being chastised for being wrong, but if you ask me, I don't...really care if some dude on the internet wants to point out I'm wrong? I get to play as a new character in my favorite video game.

Like, sure I think the ARMS pick is Spring Man. Either way, even if it's not Spring Man, I get to play as a new Smash character. That's good enough for me!

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The "major, mainline" titles routinely sell several hundred thousand, if not million, fewer copies than Mario Kart. Chances are more people have played Mario Kart than the mainline platformers. Trying to devalue Waluigi because he only appears in the more successful half of the Mario series doesn't make any sense to me.
Not all spin-off characters are created equally. Some, like Waluigi, Daisy and Toadette are clearly bigger deal than characters like Prince Peasley and Geno (no offense to their fans)

Data points from DLC seem to suggest mainly protagonists/mascots as well.
This is how Dixie can still make it in. Hey, she is the main character in Donkey Kong Country 3 and Donkey Kong Land 3, which did not star Kiddy Kong.

That feel when you're the only one who actually wants Spring Man (and not because of some other Assist Trophy character).
If it makes you feel any better, I think he's pretty cool.

Those aren't mutually exclusive "rules" though. Some characters can make it in due to fan demand and others because they represent a major new Nintendo IP. Rememeber that we had the likes of :ultinkling: and :ultkrool: in the same base roster.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It seems to me like characters should be seen as a case by case basis rather than a "one size fits all" approach. At this point it just kinda seems tough to nail down all Smash inclusions based on one criteria.

Snake is in for different reasons from Banjo, different from Ridley, which is different from Peach. There's not much that directly ties them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Those aren't mutually exclusive "rules" though. Some characters can make it in due to fan demand and others because they represent a major new Nintendo IP. Rememeber that we had the likes of :ultinkling:and :ultkrool: in the same base roster.
I know its not a mutually exclusive rule. But I have seen it used as a case of hypocrisy.

But I'll try to use a better example. I'll say I've seen "Terry proves that IP don't have to be major to get in," while saying another specific IP is too obscure.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
So based off what Scoliosis Jones said, in that he mentioned publishers, which third parties do you guys think have the highest chances, or just really want as a whole?
On the matter of ARMS, my friend is getting pretty mad, telling me not to spoil who the new fighter is, just like what happened last direct. He spoiled Piranha Plant for me, I need my revenge (aka, spoiling who the fighter is)
I'd really like to see some ArcSys appreciation through Smash, we've gotten the Kunio-kun spirit event right after Byleth's release but that's really it. Hopefully this leads into an ArcSys character getting in, I'm both betting and hoping on Sol Badguy. ArcSys has been one of my favourite companies and they defintely deserve something.

I also certainly think we're due for another Capcom rep, they have tons of lovable and charming characters that we can still get. I'm personally hoping for Phoenix Wright myself, he's still one of the characters left that 14 year old me wanted in Smash, Ultimate would really feel complete with him in it.

ALSO BANDAI NAMCO HOW THE HELL DOES THAT COMPANY STILL ONLY HAVE ONE CHARACTER AAAAA

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Either way, there's a distinction in how ideas are shared in terms of an open discourse.

I used some examples earlier, and I'll just briefly harken back to them. So I make a point about protagonists or mascots. It's backed by many data points. Now, it's one thing if I say, "This indicates that it's likely a trend and may continue through the last 6 DLC picks". It's another entirely to say, "If you don't agree with this, you're going to be disappointed because there's NO WAY that this is wrong".

Another example is, "I think it's potentially possible that Banjo could be an exception as a western 3rd party due to the fact that we have few characters left if this is the last pass of DLC for Ultimate" being different from, "We can't get western characters and you're stupid for thinking we can get them." Two very different sentiments, and tones.

The thing of it is, in the last several months I don't think very many people have acted in such a way that reflects the latter. Just because you disagree with something doesn't make it a fan rule; I would argue calling an argument a "fan rule" almost immediately makes it seem like the idea is sound, and is threatening to a certain personal pick. At least, that's my perception.

Like, if somebody wants Bandanna Waddle Dee, great! That doesn't immediately mean they're likely, and shutting down points people make against Bandanna Waddle Dee based on speculation (aka, the purpose of the thread) by saying, "well that's just a fan rule" is more of a defeat in the sense of not instead responding with, "Actually, I disagree and here's why". Nobody is just going to suddenly believe what you say or agree with you until you back it up with something. That's just how it goes.

I'm not infallible myself. I've been wrong. However, even though I'm wrong plenty of people seem to get the points I make and understand where I'm coming from with what I'm saying. That's the difference.

Not to mention, it's ok to be wrong. There's this absolute fear in being wrong and being chastised for being wrong, but if you ask me, I don't...really care if some dude on the internet wants to point out I'm wrong? I get to play as a new character in my favorite video game.

Like, sure I think the ARMS pick is Spring Man. Either way, even if it's not Spring Man, I get to play as a new Smash character. That's good enough for me!
So what you're saying is that since all of your opinions are well informed, everything you say is law. Got it! :4pacman:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
More mildly depressing, depending on who you ask and what's shown.
ehhhhh i've got a good feeling

the mii costumes this time around have been doing a lot better job at not being soulcrushing compared to smash 4

now i actually get excited when the miis show up instead of dreading the possibility of a phoenix wright costume or whatever

Really, the argument of, "HAH THAT'S JUST A DUMB FAN RULE" is so clearly not actually used as an intellectual idea but more of a way to shut down ideas that fans don't subscribe to. It's been that way from the beginning of the rise in use of the term.

Do I like when people think certain ideas are infallible? No. However, that's not even what's happening.

I'll provide another example that might make it seem more obvious. Let's say a guy who has proven an idea he has says, "Hey based on this stuff that I tried out, it turns out that X leads to Y! What do you think?" If the response was like, "Nuh uh, FAN RULES SUCK!" the equivalent would be someone saying, "I don't like that outcome, so I'm not going to listen to you!"

Meanwhile, any time somebody types the phrase "fan rule" it is almost never followed with a basis as to why the "fan rule" in question has nothing to base itself on. It's just a phrase to cast something aside. It's toxic. It adds nothing to discussion but doubt in the name of, "I don't want that, so I'm not going to respond intellectually. I'm just going to pretend it doesn't exist by putting my fingers in my ears and screeching LALALALALALALA".

Maybe I shouldn't be as invested in this particular point, but man do I dislike the way the discourse has changed since everybody thinks they can shut down ideas by just typing, "It's a fan rule". At least come up with an argument as to why you don't think said point will happen rather than being disrespectful and boiling down interesting ideas to something as mind-numbing as this false-narrative of "fan rules dictate what I can / can't talk about"

If you want a character to be taken more seriously, then present a convincing case for that character that isn't just "I want them and other people do too". That on its own will not convince other people.
Nobody (yet): "Yeah but logic itself is just another dumb fan rule anyway."

Scoliosis Jones:

:p

SKX31

Smash Master
Smash 4's custom moves were not a bad idea at all, they were just a disaster execution-wise. Due to BS unlock methods (and the time possibly required due to the RNG) and that they could be stupidly inbalanced.

This could work given some more fine tuning (a la what the Miis recieved) so I'm not against the idea at all.

N-no, you figured out my plan all along!
View attachment 275344

Now perish
You know you're dealing with SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy right? He 'bout to summon cowboys on you.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Honestly, people complaining about other fanbases can be just as annoying, if not more, then the fanbases they're complaining about. There's always so much fearmongering/slippery slope logic/generalization that goes behind it.

Who cares if Waluigi fans get excited over Springman? Some Smash fans will be annoying with or without that "can of worms" being opened, it's easier to just go with the flow and cope with what we get.
N-no, you figured out my plan all along!
View attachment 275344

Now perish
Hey, photoshopped guns are a Golden Deer thing.
Relinquish that meme immediately, imperial scoundrel.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Uhh...
More mildly depressing, depending on who you ask and what's shown.
...yeah, that.

I really want him to be playable so we can get some fun with FUS RO DAH, or see a beautiful Skyrim stage, or have some amazing soundtracks, or even just get Kirby in a horned helmet...none of which are possible with a Mii costume.

But after we got Altaïr (from the Altaïr series) as a costume, it's a distinct possibility.

Honestly, I'd expect we'll probably get another ARMS character costume like Min or Twintelle since she's such a fan favorite. Twintelle seems like a great choice since she's unlikely to be the playable character due to the fact that her ARMS aren't arms, so she doesn't really do a good job of representing the series as a whole.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Mii costumes be the Sans/Cuphead style one coming with a soundtrack to upstage everything, and Shovel Knight seems like a possibility for that. Or even the return of the Geno one (that'll set a lot of people off) with the Forest Mushrooms track remix everyone wants.

the mii costumes this time around have been doing a lot better job at not being soulcrushing compared to smash 4
*cries in Tails*

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The thing with speculation is that it's naturally going to work towards ruling out certain candidates in favor of others because of some reasoning. We have 5 characters left, if you want to seriously talk speculation and who might be in those spots, saying "it could be anyone" doesn't really add much to the conversation and there is a very clear limit to what we have left in Ultimate's life cycle. I know that can come off as gate-keeping to some, but if you're going to speculate, at some point you are making that call of certain characters being more likely than others.

That's why people use different ideas and patterns that they've seen that have set a precedent for Smash in the past. It brings something more concrete to the table than limitless possibility, and let's us discuss the chances of certain characters based upon what has been brought to the table. Having Devil May Cry's creator say that DMC games need to be on Switch first before Dante gets into Smash and then getting the first three including the definitive version of the third game exclusive to Switch isn't a guarantee of Dante coming by any stretch of the imagination, but it's certainly an interesting piece of information to comment on and reflect upon as we consider the idea of Dante in Smash.

But similarly, saying that Golden Sun hasn't had anything for 10 years and nothing seems to be on the horizon, or that Waluigi doesn't fit as nicely into the Challenger Pack model given the Mario content already in the game are similar stories of considering information in the opposite direction. It doesn't make them impossible inclusions either, but it certainly leads to different questions of how likely they are that will be interpreted by fans in certain ways. We don't know 100% of Nintendo is doing, hence how something like ARMS can blindside us when ARMS was looking to be in a less and less important spot as the Switch had continued, but I think most people seriously speculating are willing to accept the possibilities of such events happening without basing their speculation in that moment with the given circumstances on a hypothetical that could be a longer shot.

It also doesn't help that fan rules have sort of become just so inconsistent in what they mean from one person to the next too. Assist Trophies disconfirm to some meant only for Fighter's Pass Volume 1, others think for all of DLC as one example. The role post launch Spirits have played a contentious role here as well. It's harder to have conversations on a topic when agreements on sort of the latent content of the conversation hasn't been established yet.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The good news is that we probably won't have to wait until June 30th like some people were dreading.

I have a feeling that the character will be released the following day on Tuesday since the previous six DLC characters were released on either a Tuesday or Wednesday. It's possible it could be a same-day release, but one more day won't kill me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
there are handful of better and more interesting characters
Subjective.
and it's kinda scummy to force people to pay for upgrades on characters that are technically already in the game
It's happened before with other fighting games, and is far, far from the scummiest of DLC practices.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
there are handful of better and more interesting characters, and it's kinda scummy to force people to pay for upgrades on characters that are technically already in the game
Unless Sakurai is coming to your house with a gun pointed to your head, no one is being "forced" to pay for anything.

And it's not like having an assist trophy and being a playable character is close to the same thing. I mean yeah he's technically in the game, but Min Min is technically in as a spirit as well and you don't see anyone pulling the "technically" argument there.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Since nobody posted it yet...
tenor (4).gif

So, is anyone else having dreams from no news?

2 days ago? Probably the most PACKED dream I have EVER had in regards to Smash Bros. There were character and Mii Fighter costumes being revealed from Nintendo and other companies out the wazoo.

From what I remember:
Spring Man (w/ Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as alts., a'la Hero)
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dixie Kong
Andy
Lyn
Anna
Mona
Ashley
9-Volt
Virdi
Hades
Blue (Pokemon)
Arle Nadja (w/ Amitie, Ringo Andou, and Ally as alts.)
Alph as a separate character, but Brittany and Charlie were HIS alts. now
Ray MK III (with different Custom Robos as alt. skins)
Isaac (w/ Matthew as an Echo)
Saki (w/ Isa Jo as an alt.)
Segata Sanshiro (both playable AND a Mii Costume)
Lark (w/ Kiwi as an alt.)
Monster Hunter (riding a Rathalos)
Lloyd Irving
Rhythm Heaven (Yes, somehow EVERY character from Rhythm Heaven into one entity, don't ask me how)
A character who could morph into different retro/obscure characters (I remember Prince Sable, Dion, Alice, Muddy Mole, Mr. Stevenson, Mike Jones, Michael Anderson, Doshin, some NES sports characters, someone from Magical Starsign,)
Ryota and Akari Hayami as a team, a'la Ice Climbers
MANY Mii Figther outfits of NiGHTS, Billy Hatcher, Chun-Li, Amigo, Amingo, SonSon, Goku and Chao
A new stage that really celebrated Nintendo's history, by warping into different Nintendo IP settings (NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Game Boy line, DS, Wii U, 3DS, etc.)

There was even more, but this is what I BARELY remember.
I keep looking for the button to preorder this pass but I can't find it!
So someone analyzed the background of the announcement tweet and if it's a legit hint then this means the ARMS character is either Spring Man, Max Brass, or Springtron.

Damn it's all gonna come down to this huh?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
there are handful of better and more interesting characters, and it's kinda scummy to force people to pay for upgrades on characters that are technically already in the game
What's interesting is subjective to each person, though.

And there's a huge difference on a character being in as an AT or Spirit and being playable. I wouldn't say it would be scummy to pay for something that takes 10x more work.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I'm not the biggest ARMS fan, but I'm interested in seeing how the moveset translates to smash, whoever the character ends up being. From a speculation perspective, I also really want to see the Mii costumes. If the costumes that went with Byleth are any indication (two Ubisoft, two Capcom, and Cuphead), the Mii costumes could easily include third party/non-ARMS properties. In terms of specific Mii costume wants/fears...

Wants: Lappy, Hat Kid, Adeleine or Ribbon, Euden (with a Dragalia Lost remix)
Fears: Really just that darn Lloyd costume, unless they throw a random new third party into the costume list that I happen to want as a fighter (like Travis or something)

What Mii costumes do you want/fear/expect?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And it's not like having an assist trophy and being a playable character is close to the same thing. I mean yeah he's technically in the game, but Min Min is technically in as a spirit as well and you don't see anyone pulling the "technically" argument there.
To be fair though, it is similar to what Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite did by adding Monster Hunter and Black Panther to the story and then selling them as DLC. I think the key difference here is that these characters weren't planned as DLC when they were added to the game so it's more like adding background characters that weren't previously playable like Kolin than purposely tantalizing players with DLC characters that aren't finished at launch and you have to pay for later.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So based off what Scoliosis Jones said, in that he mentioned publishers, which third parties do you guys think have the highest chances, or just really want as a whole?
On the matter of ARMS, my friend is getting pretty mad, telling me not to spoil who the new fighter is, just like what happened last direct. He spoiled Piranha Plant for me, I need my revenge (aka, spoiling who the fighter is)
Personally, I'm finding it increasingly more bizarre that we've gone over a year and half with Level-5 still not getting any content they own whatsoever up to this point, no spirits or mii costumes or anything really (asides from a Square Enix character they don't own or where acknowledged for. :ulthero2: ) especially as more companies (especially Japanese ones) are getting involved.
But that's probably just me...

Asides from that, another Capcom character is always a treat to see.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm not the biggest ARMS fan, but I'm interested in seeing how the moveset translates to smash, whoever the character ends up being. From a speculation perspective, I also really want to see the Mii costumes. If the costumes that went with Byleth are any indication (two Ubisoft, two Capcom, and Cuphead), the Mii costumes could easily include third party/non-ARMS properties. In terms of specific Mii costume wants/fears...

Wants: Lappy, Hat Kid, Adeleine or Ribbon, Euden (with a Dragalia Lost remix)
Fears: Really just that darn Lloyd costume, unless they throw a random new third party into the costume list that I happen to want as a fighter (like Travis or something)

What Mii costumes do you want/fear/expect?
Want: Ori (PreMiium), Monokuma (PreMiium), Gunvolt (PreMiium), Vault Boy (regular but has a mask to look like his face. Just no song because copyright)
Fear: anyone I want to be fully playable like Neku, KOS-MOS, Elma or Octoling
Expect: Hollow Knight (PreMiium), Sephiroth (regular), Heihachi (regular), Doom Slayer (either way)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay, we aren't getting any new character announcements, but what ELSE might we be getting with update 8.0?

Who we expecting for Mii costumes? Any other additions?

Really, the argument of, "HAH THAT'S JUST A DUMB FAN RULE" is so clearly not actually used as an intellectual idea but more of a way to shut down ideas that fans don't subscribe to.
They do, but that doesn't make it any less correct. They ARE still just dumb fan rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom