• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If the costumes that went with Byleth are any indication (two Ubisoft, two Capcom, and Cuphead), the Mii costumes could easily include third party/non-ARMS properties. In terms of specific Mii costume wants/fears...
Me: "Well one of the few perks of having Amaterasu be your most wanted is that you won't have to worry about getting costumed since she's a quadruped."
Nintendo: "Look! It's a cute little Amaterasu hat!"
Me: "Now listen here ya ****!"

EDIT: Appearantly that's considered a swear word...It's always been a lighthearted word like "zoof" for me, but the more you know. I will never use it again.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Unless Sakurai is coming to your house with a gun pointed to your head, no one is being "forced" to pay for anything.

And it's not like having an assist trophy and being a playable character is close to the same thing. I mean yeah he's technically in the game, but Min Min is technically in as a spirit as well and you don't see anyone pulling the "technically" argument there.
Because just like you said “it’s not like having an assist trophy and being a playable character is close to the same thing.” Neither is being a spirit, and at least in the case of being a spirit, the character hasn’t already been fleshed out to a greater extent that artwork from the source game.

I do agree no one is forcing the purchase of DLC. Whoever the ARMS character is, you’ll all be over it just as soon as it’s announced because there’s nothing any of us can do about it anyway, and then it’s onto FP7 speculation.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Okay, we aren't getting any new character announcements, but what ELSE might we be getting with update 8.0?

Who we expecting for Mii costumes? Any other additions?

They do, but that doesn't make it any less correct. They ARE still just dumb fan rules.
So by that line of logic, even something that is based on actual precedent or particular bits of information that line up together is a "dumb fan rule"?

How does that make sense? That's literally speculation.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Based on what Imran’s said, I could see this Pass being a 50/50 split between Nintendo & third parties.

I imagine the Nintendo characters will all have some sort of relevancy to the Switch. More Rex/Sw/Sh Pokemon/BOTW, less Dixie/BanDee/Waluigi.

I also think his “speculation” of a megaton character is probably correct. Whether it’s Chief or Sora like he mentioned is up for debate.

If the Pass IS 50/50, then Nintendo should rotate between the 1st & 3rd party. I think that’d keep people happy.

Something like this is what I see:

Big Japanese 3rd party pick like Joker (2B/Dante/etc...)

Nintendo character

Megaton from a Western company (Sora/Chief/Crash/etc...)

Nintendo character

Smaller third party Japanese character (Heihachi/Hayabusa/ Monokuma/Arle, etc...)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, we aren't getting any new character announcements, but what ELSE might we be getting with update 8.0?

Who we expecting for Mii costumes? Any other additions?
Well there's the ARMS stage, the ARMS music, Mii costumes...

And a let's play from Sakurai.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Balance changes that won't affect the current meta much if at all unless it's a nerf that makes everyone drop the victim (but even then it'd just remove one character from the meta and wouldn't change anything else).

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Alucard being pointlessly disabled on Wii Fit Studio because vampire lore.
Why not implement similar conditions for Assist Trophies turned playable characters?
Because without trying me trying to datamine the game again, pulling the code and to try to visually explain... (I'm ****ing terrible at explaining dev **** due to my disability)

But that not how it works, at all

The Chrom gotcha doesn't count, because Chrom was never in a playable state and the "disabled ATs!!!" cry won't work because there are waaay to many complications

BUT to give you AceAttorney9000 AceAttorney9000 credit, honestly, if I was the devs, the correct way to by past all of the complexions, is if they just pull a Chrom and just ignore them and keep the ATs as well
That's legit the only way I can see them adding ATs to fighters, trying to turn off certain things would be unnecessary hostile, so **** it, 2 Walugis! We don't care anymore

Through, I would first get ready for a big backlash for asking for 9 dollars form people to get Waluigi again lmao

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well there's the ARMS stage, the ARMS music, Mii costumes...

And a let's play from Sakurai.
I do hope he doesn't play through Classic Mode again. There's no reason to do it and it takes away the surprise of playing through it yourself for the first time.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I'm not the biggest ARMS fan, but I'm interested in seeing how the moveset translates to smash, whoever the character ends up being. From a speculation perspective, I also really want to see the Mii costumes. If the costumes that went with Byleth are any indication (two Ubisoft, two Capcom, and Cuphead), the Mii costumes could easily include third party/non-ARMS properties. In terms of specific Mii costume wants/fears...

Wants: Lappy, Hat Kid, Adeleine or Ribbon, Euden (with a Dragalia Lost remix)
Fears: Really just that darn Lloyd costume, unless they throw a random new third party into the costume list that I happen to want as a fighter (like Travis or something)

What Mii costumes do you want/fear/expect?
I also want the Adeleine costume, though I simultaneously fear it. I really want to see her in the game in any way possible, but I also don't know what would happen if she gets tied to the Mii outfits.

However, I don't really expect it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do hope he doesn't play through Classic Mode again. There's no reason to do it and it takes away the surprise of playing through it yourself for the first time.
I can imagine a four player match featuring all the fight game characters.

:ultryu: vs :ultken: vs :ult_terry: vs ARMS

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just gimme very hard mode and/or 2P for WoL

and speaking of WoL, you know how Hero’s trailer had the Dark Realm aura on random peeps? I still say that, the Light Realm aura and the phantom puppet effect (both light and dark) should be permanently available outside that mode. They’re prolly waiting to show those off in trailers tho

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...the "disabled ATs!!!" cry won't work because there are waaay to many complications
What complications?

>We know the game can detect who was picked due to stages like Boxing Ring and Pictochat.
>We know that the game can disable Assist Trophies under certain conditions.
>Said conditions are even dynamic, as certain Assist Trophies cant appear amongst certain other Assist Trophies.

I don't really see anything that would get in the way of this implementation.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Why are Smash fans so ******** about this.

I try to imagine Dragon Ball Fighterz fans seriously arguing that Android 17 couldn't become a playable character due to being an NPC for some of 18's moves, or at least that he should be replaced with a different character when he's picked. I can't, it's just too ridiculous.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Hoping Lloyd or any Namco character is not in the mii costume pack. I do expect like with Banjo and Byleth though:

- The remaining Capcom Costumes
- Another 1st party costume
- Costume/s from another company(Bethesda/Microsoft is my guess)
- Premium Indie Costume

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I try to imagine Dragon Ball Fighterz fans seriously arguing that Android 17 couldn't become a playable character due to being an NPC for some of 18's moves, or at least that he should be replaced with a different character when he's picked. I can't, it's just too ridiculous.
I think there are some cases where Smash fans and Dragon Ball FighterZ fans have similar mindsets. Much like most Smash fans can agree that more Fire Emblem characters would be excessive (and we've arguably passed that point already), most FighterZ fans can agree that more Gokus would be excessive. (and we've arguably passed that point already)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The good news is that we probably won't have to wait until June 30th like some people were dreading.

I have a feeling that the character will be released the following day on Tuesday since the previous six DLC characters were released on either a Tuesday or Wednesday. It's possible it could be a same-day release, but one more day won't kill me.
I can assure you that there's less people who care about the release date than there are people who want to know which character's getting in.

In other news, I'm just tired of this. Crash 4's announcement is probably at the same time so I'm going to need my irl friends to pull me into this, but none of them care either

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

That community isn't as obsessed with hoping their DLC characters have enough Arbitrary Hype Points™. They just hope they don't get yet another Goku.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I reset the poll at the top of the page for y’all to get in your final predictions if y’all want to.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What complications?

>We know the game can detect who was picked due to stages like Boxing Ring and Pictochat.
>We know that the game can disable Assist Trophies under certain conditions.
>Said conditions are even dynamic, as certain Assist Trophies cant appear amongst certain other Assist Trophies.

I don't really see anything that would get in the way of this implementation.
I think the only real complication is Spirit Battles because some have a Assist Trophy showing up. Which might be a bit of a challenge, especially since doing so effectively changes how the battle is portrayed.
Spring Man isn’t one of them though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Those communities aren't as obsessed with hoping their DLC characters have enough Arbitrary Hype Points™. They just hope they don't get yet another Goku.
No, people argued constantly about Janemba, Kefla, Roshi, etc.

Also the best thing they can do for Mii costumes is a Madeline one. Celeste is sooooo ****ing good maaaaan

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the only real complication is Spirit Battles because some have a Assist Trophy showing up. Which might be a bit of a challenge, especially since doing so effectively changes how the battle is portrayed.
That is kinda strange, but it may just be coincidence. Black Knight’s battle also doesn’t have the AT appear

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dragon Ball Fighterz and Super Smash Bros. are very different games though.

With Goku, Vegeta, Goku, Vegeta, Goku, Vegeta, Vegito, Gogeta, Goku, and Goku, Dragon Ball Fighterz clearly gives no cares about two characters being in the same place.

Super Smash Bros. on the other hand, tends to try and make sure that this doesn't happen beyond multiple players picking the same character, like how King Dedede is removed from Dream Land. Granted, it's not completely consistent (Duck Hunt isn't removed from Duck Hunt when Duck Hunt is present...I hate how that makes perfect sense in context) , but there is at least a precedent for this attention to detail. It's not to say that they can't ignore something like this, but it's also not to say it's completely ridiculous to think it would need to be addressed.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
That is kinda strange, but it may just be coincidence. Black Knight’s battle also doesn’t have the AT appear
Probably a coincidence, as Rodin, Phosphora, and Samurai Goroh (and Rathalos but it’s a boss) don’t appear in spirit battles either.

Also of this group of 5, Spring Man is the only one with a Spirit Battle.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That community isn't as obsessed with hoping their DLC characters have enough Arbitrary Hype Points™. They just hope they don't get yet another Goku.
Big difference in fanbase mentality comes from the fact one franchise brings in fannbases from different franchises which multiplies the diversity of opinions present and aggregates any toxicity found in those fanbases. Fighter Z only has to please the Dragon Ball fanbase.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, that would need to be addressed with some sort of override. Luckily, we do know it's possible to edit Spirit Battles, so it's still an overcomable obstacle.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey what if

if the spirit being promoted is in WoL, they straight up replace the Spirit battle with an Awakening battle? I.e. Min Min’s Spirit in the Light Realm becomes you freeing Galeem-controlled Min Min; and Octoling Girl/Boy in the Dark Realm becomes a Dharkon-controlled Octoling

yes there’s a spirit in the Light Realm named Octoling but it’s of the enemy variant. The playable Octo Expansion variant is called Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The more I've been thinking about it, I've been thinking...

What if it's Max Brass? If AT and Spirits end up deconfirming, Max has a few things going for him:

- He's the OG ARMS champion and the final fight in every playthrough of Arcade Mode
- He's a fan favorite
- He lacks any current representation in Ultimate, despite being a big figure in ARMS

Honestly? I'm still thinking that there's a solid chance AT's and Spirits might be out of the running, so I'm throwing my final prediction to Max. Hoping for Min Min to get the win win, though.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Only a margin of that fanbase speculates compared to the Smash community since there aren't that many characters left to add. From what I've seen from that community, they also have arguments that are just as ridiculous to say characters aren't happening like Hercule and Roshi's inability to fly and Majin Vegeta not being likely for having a lobby avatar.

Also, these are two entirely different communities. They both may hate their games but there's still some differences.

Hey what if

if the spirit being promoted is in WoL, they straight up replace the Spirit battle with an Awakening battle? I.e. Min Min’s Spirit in the Light Realm becomes you freeing Galeem-controlled Min Min; and Octoling Girl/Boy in the Dark Realm becomes a Dharkon-controlled Octoling
That'd be cool, but then it makes the spirit version potentially harder to obtain, so I dunno?

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
**** it, 2 Walugis! We don't care anymore
You can already have a matchup of Wario vs Wario vs Wario vs Wario vs Wario vs Wario vs Bayonetta vs Wario, so I don't see why this is such an issue.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Regarding the poll, I'm sticking with Min Min. If spirits are enough to disqualify a character, then my pick would be Dr. Coyle, but I don't think that having a single PNG image in the game is enough to disqualify someone. (that wasn't the case for trophies back in Smash 4, though I'll admit that circumstances were different since Mewtwo and Lucas were veterans) I guess we'll find out for sure on Monday.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
they also have arguments that are just as ridiculous to say characters aren't happening like Hercule and Roshi's inability to fly and Majin Vegeta not being likely for having a lobby avatar.
I'm surprised that's a common argument considering the infinitely more viable argument of "how on Earth are you supposed to tell Vegeta (SS) and Majin Vegeta apart while they're flipping around and there's explosions and stuff when the only difference is a tiny "M" on the forehead?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom