• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If I had a choice between the three, I'd still probably choose Spring Man.

Too many people hate on the guy just because mascots are too predictable. Dude's pretty great if you can get past that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I suspect Sakurai is going to go over how adding Spring Man was no issue pointing out to assist disablements like Alucard, Moon and Knuckles on stages as well as:ultchrom:being in:ultrobin:Final Smash and one of his/her victory animations,:ultmario:being in one of:ultpiranha:victory animations and:ultsamus:being in:ultzss:Final Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I just think people are discrediting Ribbon Girl far too easily.

I am going to have to disagree with the Waluigi fan base. Yes, there are Waluigi fans who are not toxic and annoying, HOWEVER, they are few and far between from what I’ve seen over the years, and are greatly overshadowed by the toxic and extremely vocal Waluigi fans.

Also, to discredit Ribbon Girl as a secondary mascot, but in the same breath advocate for Waluigi who originated essentially as a filler character in a spin-off sports game to be partners with a spin-off character, and has since never made a major appearance in any mainline Mario or Wario game, but only in Kart, Party, and Sports spin-offs is mind boggling to me. Daisy at least has made an appearance in a mainline Mario game, and was easily made an Echo Fighter of Peach due to their shared likeliness. Waluigi doesn’t even have that option available to him.
About Waluigi: Alright, whatever then. I just don’t think it’s fair.

As for your second point: Mario’s main mascots are already in, as well as a few popular side-characters. And Waluigi is popular, too. Besides, I never said Ribbon Girl couldn’t get in. She could, and she’s popular too. I just think Spring Man is the main face while she’s the second face; that still puts her above every other ARMS character besides Spring Man as far as mascots go.

And Daisy is still based on her spinoff self, where she’s only used nowadays. In Super Mario Land, she was essentially a filler for Peach since Mario had to go through somewhere other than the Mushroom Kingdom with different characters, and she was pretty much Peach but different name and look. She even looked just like Peach but reskinned in the original spinoffs that featured her.

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Ultimate made Chrom into a playable character (albeit as a clone of Roy, but playable regardless), and no effort was made to change Robin's Final Smash. I doubt the developers and/or Nintendo care if Spring Man being both a playable character and an Assist Trophy would be "odd".

And even if they did care, as has been pointed out... way more ****ing times than should be necessary, there's ways around the issue. Some Assist Trophies are disabled on certain stages, usually because the character already shows up in the stage, and then there's Alucard being pointlessly disabled on Wii Fit Studio because vampire lore. Why not implement similar conditions for Assist Trophies turned playable characters? I've yet to hear any counterpoint to this, yet people keep insisting that Assist Trophies are off the table as if that solution somehow just doesn't exist.
I mean, Spirit battles where the Assist trophies in question appear could be an issue. Thy can't disable the assist trophy when it's part of the reference.
At that it's far more likely that the developes will take the Chrom route and just don't care about it if they intend to add any Assist trophy as a playable character.

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Why are you so doom and gloom about this? It's just one character. There are others, and Spring Man wouldn't confirm anything as he's only one character.
Spring Man would open the door to many characters already in the game, and would fall in line with Imran’s comments months ago.

My MWs will likely be nuked if its Spring Man.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The reaction to Spring Man are going to be interesting should he be playable, especially as it would mean the return of characters like Waluigi and Skull Kid to speculation.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Spring Man would open the door to many characters already in the game, and would fall in line with Imran’s comments months ago.
What comments did Imran do months ago?
I've been keeping up with rumours and stuff for so long, but I don't remember any of this "only first party pass" thing

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
So someone analyzed the background of the announcement tweet and if it's a legit hint then this means the ARMS character is either Spring Man, Max Brass, or Springtron.

tbh I don’t think the background pattern really means much. While it matches Spring Man, Max Brass, and Springtron here, the same pattern is used for every character when selecting them in the character select menu, as can be seen here.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
We are in the endgame bois and gals! From what the tweets and insiders are implying, it seems like we might only get one character after all, or at least that is the vibe I'm getting from the situation. I'm starting to kind of doubt Spring Man now though because they would not have played that "guess who" game if it was the obvious answer. Unless if he came with an alt or something. I'm really thinking it's Min Min, Ribbon Girl, Max Brass, or maybe Dr. Coyle. But I don't want to repeat my big paragraph from a couple days ago so I'll just end it with this: HYPE!!!

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
So based off what Scoliosis Jones said, in that he mentioned publishers, which third parties do you guys think have the highest chances, or just really want as a whole?
On the matter of ARMS, my friend is getting pretty mad, telling me not to spoil who the new fighter is, just like what happened last direct. He spoiled Piranha Plant for me, I need my revenge (aka, spoiling who the fighter is)

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
I've been keeping up with rumours and stuff for so long, but I don't remember any of this "only first party pass" thing
He made two comments. One in January, one in April.

The latter was on a poll thread on how people would feel about a majority 1st party pass. He then went on to say “I can already tell who is going to be furious by the time this pass ends”.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
He just said that we shouldn't expect a third party only pass, wording his comments in a way that (to some people) implied multiple first party characters were coming.
EDIT: Dammint I was double ninja'd.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I suspect Sakurai is going to go over how adding Spring Man was no issue pointing out to assist disablements like Alucard, Moon and Knuckles on stages as well as:ultchrom:being in:ultrobin:Final Smash and one of his/her victory animations,:ultmario:being in one of:ultpiranha:victory animations and:ultsamus:being in:ultzss:Final Smash.
But choosing Robin doesn’t disable your opponent from picking Chrom.

Choosing Piranha Plant doesn’t disable your opponent from choosing Mario.

And Zero Suit Samus and Samus are the same person, just minus the suit.

The issue with Spring Man being upgraded in the same game that he is an Assist Trophy in is that if someone is always picking him, then the development time that went into making him an Assist Trophy in the first place is essentially wasted development time.

This is different from stage/assist trophy disablement as chances are you won’t always be playing on the same stage through various modes, and online play chances are you won’t often play on Spear Pillar or Great Bay everytime, but if you or your opponent become Spring Man mains chances are you will never see the Assist Trophy summon again. While it may seem small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things, that is still development time that could’ve been spent on something else.

Now, before I’m sent to death for my slander of Spring Man, if with his reveal, they in turn reveal his Assist Trophy has been revamped into Springtron (Something that could be easily done.) Then I would be totally fine and welcome his inclusion into Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
tbh I don’t think the background pattern really means much. While it matches Spring Man, Max Brass, and Springtron here, the same pattern is used for every character when selecting them in the character select menu, as can be seen here.
Hmm, this is a good point actually.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

My MWs will likely be nuked if its Spring Man.
I wouldn't say so. They would join speculation, but they would still have to be evaluated on their own merit. Really, there's only two or three realistically choosable candidates that would join speculation, and I'd expect a maximum of one to get the upgrade even if the pass was mostly 1st party (which there isn't any indication of either).

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Reminder that first parties and third parties can coexist. Getting two Nintendo characters doesn't mean that we're getting those exclusively and every 3rd party isn't automatically out. Imran never said we're getting not getting third parties, they're just not going to be every character.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The issue with Spring Man being upgraded in the same game that he is an Assist Trophy in is that if someone is always picking him, then the development time that went into making him an Assist Trophy in the first place is essentially wasted development time.
How is it wasted time? If the character is Spring Man, then that means that they already had a model and some animations to work with. Plus I don't see why revamping something already in the game will stop Sakurai and the team from doing it. So what if it's wasted time? That is in the past and Sakurai can do whatever he wants with his game.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But choosing Robin doesn’t disable your opponent from picking Chrom.

Choosing Piranha Plant doesn’t disable your opponent from choosing Mario.

And Zero Suit Samus and Samus are the same person, just minus the suit.

This is different from stage/assist trophy disablement as chances are you won’t always be playing on the same stage through various modes, and online play chances are you won’t often play on Spear Pillar or Great Bay everytime, but if you or your opponent become Spring Man mains chances are you will never see the Assist Trophy summon again. While it may seem small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things, that is still development time that could’ve been spent on something else.

Now, before I’m sent to death for my slander of Spring Man, if with his reveal, they in turn reveal his Assist Trophy has been revamped into Springtron (Something that could be easily done.) Then I would be totally fine and welcome his inclusion into Smash.
My point is regarding the final smashes and victory animations is you can play as Chrom yet Chrom can still appear in Robin's Final Smash and victory animation. Same for Mario and Samus if playing them as well.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

... not really? It's only a waste if they completely remove the Assist Trophy version of Spring Man and he can just never be summoned as an Assist Trophy ever again. That would be an actual waste of development time and resources.

Disabling the Assist Trophy when the playable version is in the fight just allows things to be... well, not confusing. It's no more a waste of time and resources than Alucard being disabled on the Wii Fit Studio stage solely because they didn't want to contradict vampire lore.

SKX31

Smash Master
So based off what Scoliosis Jones said, in that he mentioned publishers, which third parties do you guys think have the highest chances, or just really want as a whole?
My Top 10 likeliest would include (unordered):

Capcom (want: Dante, Amaterasu)
Bandai-Namco (want: KOS-MOS, Heihachi)
Activision-Blizzard (want: Tracer, Crash)
Tencent (want: League of Legends)
Microsoft (want: Master Chief)
SEGA (want: Arle, Kiryu)
Koei Tecmo (want: Dynasty Warriors)
Square-Enix (want: Lara Croft)
Ubisoft (want: Ezio)
Level 5 (want: Layton)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
And neither Scorpion nor Sub-Zero was all that promoted in the first MK either. That changed later. Liu Kang was on the original arcad cabinet:
If Smash was made during the time of the original MK and a character from that franchise was included, Liu Kang would have been chosen.

Staarih

Smash Master
I’m so relieved the wait is going to end. The Mii costumes will be super interesting to see as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On the matter of ARMS, my friend is getting pretty mad, telling me not to spoil who the new fighter is, just like what happened last direct. He spoiled Piranha Plant for me, I need my revenge (aka, spoiling who the fighter is)
Top 5:
1. Square Enix (want: Neku, likely: Geno)
2. Bandai Namco (want: KOS-MOS, likely: Tales Of character)
3. Activision Blizzard (want: idc, likely: Crash)
4. Capcom (want: Phoenix Wright or Dante, likely: idk and it’s likely not Resident Evil)
5. Ubisoft (want: idk, likely: Rayman)

How? It's not like they'll be removing the Assist Trophy, at worst they'll probably just disable it when he isn't in play. And besides, Assist Trophies absolutely aren't equivalent to playable characters. I don't think anybody's gonna be pissed off because their character isn't stuck as an Assist anymore.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Turning Spring Man into Springtron would be more work though, as you'd have to edit the Spring Man model. A simple check to make sure Spring Man isn't in the battle would be far simpler. And sure, it's time they could spend doing something else, but it's not like they're running behind (at least, not yet), things like this are likely planned in advance, and it's a detail comparable to all the background cameos everyone's been getting. I don't personally see the issue.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I prefer first-parties, it'll be really annoying if F7 is also first-party and everyone starts saying, "Yep, this is an all first-party pass. No third-parties."

People are too quick to look for patterns.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
No it isn't. In fact, it saves development time and lets the team develop the characters past Spring Man with more room for comfort.

Besides, treating it as a waste of time would imply they already knew ARMS would get a DLC pack since the base game - for all we know, that was not planned from the start. So if Spring Man was not gonna make it to playable back then, putting him in as an Assist makes sense.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
He made two comments. One in January, one in April.

The latter was on a poll thread on how people would feel about a majority 1st party pass. He then went on to say “I can already tell who is going to be furious by the time this pass ends”.
He just said that we shouldn't expect a third party only pass, wording his comments in a way that (to some people) implied multiple first party characters were coming.
EDIT: Dammint I was double ninja'd.
Gotcha! Thanks! Honestly, I see it more like "who say we can't have one or two first party" than "We will only get third/first party".
After all, Imran is the person who also personally believe that the pass will contain a gigantic hitter like "Sora or Master Chief", one or the others, and it was in the same timeframe as this comment.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So who is Imran exactly? I've only heard about him just today.
A notable insider, former editor in chief of Game Informer, and the guy everyone swears deconfirmed Sora when all they did was take one sentence out of context of a much larger video

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Even though I prefer first-parties, it'll be really annoying if F7 is also first-party and everyone starts saying, "Yep, this is an all first-party pass. No third-parties."

People are too quick to look for patterns.
We'll just have to remind everyone that two isn't a discernable pattern either. You need at least 3 points of data.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
A notable insider, former editor in chief of Game Informer, and the guy everyone swears deconfirmed Sora when all they did was take one sentence out of context of a much larger video
I remember lmao, the worst is that 10 second later he said he believed we might get him or Master chief, in the same video.

Staarih

Smash Master
Not everyone will buy the DLC, so for them Spring Man will still be the AT even if he’d become playable. So he’ll never be wasted development.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
About Waluigi: Alright, whatever then. I just don’t think it’s fair.

As for your second point: Mario’s main mascots are already in, as well as a few popular side-characters. And Waluigi is popular, too. Besides, I never said Ribbon Girl couldn’t get in. She could, and she’s popular too. I just think Spring Man is the main face while she’s the second face; that still puts her above every other ARMS character besides Spring Man as far as mascots go.

And Daisy is still based on her spinoff self, where she’s only used nowadays. In Super Mario Land, she was essentially a filler for Peach since Mario had to go through somewhere other than the Mushroom Kingdom with different characters, and she was pretty much Peach but different name and look. She even looked just like Peach but reskinned in the original spinoffs that featured her.
We will just have to agree to disagree about Waluigi. I have just never seen the appeal, and every time someone tries to make a case for him it just seems like a reach for why he should be in.

The difference between Waluigi and the other spin-off characters though are that the either played a major role in a mainline title (Rosalina and Bowser Jr./Koopalings.) or have gone on to star in their own titles (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Wario, Yoshi.) Waluigi hasn’t done any of that as of yet. The only curveball being Piranha Plant, but even then it’s been a long standing enemy that has appeared in mainline titles. Daisy is an echo fighter, she is was easy to add in. That mixed with her popularity and support is what got her in. Waluigi has no one to be an echo of within the Mario/Wario franchise. We have yet to see an Echo of a character that are not in the same franchise.

I’m not saying he will never happen. I know better than that. I am well aware it’s in the realm of possibilities. I just think there is precedent for other Mario characters to make it in beforehand. Namely Paper Mario.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Hmm, this is a good point actually.
There is a significant difference between the character select screen background for Spring Man and his other background, mainly that the white swirls are more closer to the magenta swirl and the white swirls don’t converge until the tip. Also, one of the magenta swirls fade in the former background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom